View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 2:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Drafting a WR 
League MVP

Post Re: Drafting a WR
kdsberman wrote:
Now the question comes up, "Is Broyles going to be unreliable now"? Is he gonna be like Delmas and have the potential but unable to stay healthy? You ask me, I say YES..wide receiver IS a need. Not saying burn a 1st rounder on one, but other than Calvin what do we have assuming Burleson is let go?

WR is a need

this kid conner vernon for duke is looking pretty good in the belk Bowl. 6'1 195 lbs, probably available in later rounds. runs good routes and can make a lot of plays with the ball thrown to him on the line of scrimmage, ie WR screens, quick slants, etc - good run after the catch evasiveness

December 27th, 2012, 10:41 pm
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Now the question comes up, "Is Broyles going to be unreliable now"? Is he gonna be like Delmas and have the potential but unable to stay healthy? You ask me, I say YES..wide receiver IS a need. Not saying burn a 1st rounder on one, but other than Calvin what do we have assuming Burleson is let go?

WR is a need

this kid conner vernon for duke is looking pretty good in the belk Bowl. 6'1 195 lbs, probably available in later rounds. runs good routes and can make a lot of plays with the ball thrown to him on the line of scrimmage, ie WR screens, quick slants, etc - good run after the catch evasiveness

I don't think we let go of Nate next year. I don't think it would be smart. We only save $500k on the cap if we cut him. LAST YEAR was the year that he should have been cut, now that we've restructured his deal it doesn't make much sense to get rid of him next year. The year after that? Fine, but not next offseason.

That said, even WITH Nate AND Broyles WR is still a need. TY is a bag of douche, Broyles is injury prone, and Nate is old as dirt. We literally have no one reliable to take pressure off of CJ deep, which is why we should have made a play on Manningham last year and taken Kontz in the 2nd round.

That said, just because WR is a need, I would still rather see us go after someone like Hixon, Massoquoi, or Braylon Edwards as free agents than draft a WR. I think the vet will "get it" faster, integrate into the lineup faster, provide more value to our team, AND allow us to grab some cheap youth.

December 28th, 2012, 12:11 am
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

WR is a need

I don't think we let go of Nate next year. I don't think it would be smart. We only save $500k on the cap if we cut him. LAST YEAR was the year that he should have been cut, now that we've restructured his deal it doesn't make much sense to get rid of him next year. The year after that? Fine, but not next offseason.

That said, even WITH Nate AND Broyles WR is still a need. TY is a bag of douche, Broyles is injury prone, and Nate is old as dirt. We literally have no one reliable to take pressure off of CJ deep, which is why we should have made a play on Manningham last year and taken Kontz in the 2nd round.

That said, just because WR is a need, I would still rather see us go after someone like Hixon, Massoquoi, or Braylon Edwards as free agents than draft a WR. I think the vet will "get it" faster, integrate into the lineup faster, provide more value to our team, AND allow us to grab some cheap youth.

Nate had a fracture into his knee joint, there s no guarantee he s even good enough to beat out the Kris Durham's and Brian Robiskie's of the NFL next season.

The Lions will need all means to shore up the receiving corps - you could sign a guy sure but thats just patchwork until the guys you draft develop. Braylon Edwards is awful and I d hate to see his act coming back home. Hixon or Massoquoi arent anything special but at least they dont come with a side show.

December 28th, 2012, 10:25 am
The Legend wrote:
Nate had a fracture into his knee joint, there s no guarantee he s even good enough to beat out the Kris Durham's and Brian Robiskie's of the NFL next season.

The Lions will need all means to shore up the receiving corps - you could sign a guy sure but thats just patchwork until the guys you draft develop. Braylon Edwards is awful and I d hate to see his act coming back home. Hixon or Massoquoi arent anything special but at least they dont come with a side show.

If Nate's injury precludes his return to the NFL, so be it, but if he can even return to his 2012 form, he should be brought back. We're not going to be able to spend $500k and get a better player, flat out, and that's the decision we'd be making. Like I said, last year was the year to dump him. We could have saved around $3 million dollars, and he could have easily been replaced for that kind of coin.

For our #2 we don't need "anything special," IMO we just need a bigger body with some speed that can be a deep threat to take pressure off of CJ. That's it. The guy doesn't even have to put up big numbers.

I listed the order of players that I would look at as Hixon, Mass, and Edwards. That's the order I would want them in. I agree that Edwards comes with a bit of a side-show, but he's better than anything else that we have, and it would save us a draft pick. Ultimately I think he's staying in NY, but if we can't land Hixon or Mass I think he would help our team.

We need to fill holes, flat out. We didn't do it last year, and it cost us. The more we can fill with game-ready vets, and the more draft picks we save, the better.

January 2nd, 2013, 5:48 pm
Heisman Winner

I agree with WJB. :shock: If you need a WR, go buy one. get some players with those picks. Stop burning them endlessly on these flighty kids.

January 5th, 2013, 12:04 am
Walk On

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think we might go TE early.

I'll break my phone

Why? You hate Pettigrew, you want NO tight end?

I agree, i would be pissed if we took one in first round, but I could see second.

Pettigrew is a mediocre tightend, with potential. I don't think he will ever realize that potential, but we're stuck with him unless we can trade him this offseason. He will probably want more money than he's worth to bring him back, and we should probably part ways with him at that point, but Mayhew will likely screw up and re-sign the guy. We get too attached to "our guys," and until this team gets rid of this entitled, me-first, defeatist attitude we should prefer guys that AREN'T our own. IMO it would be good for this team to bring in "different" players for the next couple of years. I think it would have been beneficial to bring in Tracy Porter, Michael Bush, and Manningham just to bring some life and energy into the locker-room, and to show the team that yes, upper management is trying.

That said, it has been proven time and time again that TE is NOT worthy of a first round pick. The last first round TE that I liked was Heath Miller, but even if you look at his good career, you can see teams that REGULARLY take TEs that are just as effective in rounds 3-5. That's why I would throw my phone... Look at last years first round TE for comparison - Coby Fleener was said to be one of the best TE prospect in years, he has under 300 yards, and no TDs so far this season.

Look at the guys that can "stretch the field" that people say are "rare" - Jacob Tamme, low-value FA signing, Greg Olson - was given away, Aaron Hernadez - later round pick, Gronkowski - later round pick, Jimmy Gram - later round pick. Why take a TE in the first round? They're project players that need time to develop, learn the game, and mature physically. There's no sense in taking one in the first. Ask New England who screwed up and took Ben Watson in the first round, an AMAZING TE prospect when he came into the league.

Look at Fauria from UCLA, sure hands, route runner, 6'7 and run 4.75 in 40. He's got that hybrid Wr type of feel. I would love for us to draft him in the 3rd or 4th Rd.

January 7th, 2013, 5:03 pm
IMO we need too many OLman, LBs and safeties to waste any pic in the 4th round or sooner on anything but... If we had a later pick I'd use a 4th on a skill player, but I think we need to wait until the 5th and later to take a WR or RB, unless there's a GLARING value there.

As much as people are clamouring for a CB, unless we can get one in the 2nd round, why bother? To take one in the 4th or 5th, would be giving up on Green and Bently. We already have late round projects, develop them, or at least try before we take on new projects. If we can get a talent upgrade over what we currently have without polishing that person, awesome, but if they aren't beating Green or Bently right out of the box, forget it.

January 7th, 2013, 5:16 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Agree with wjb about a CB, if they don't get one early (1st or 2nd round) then why bother. Mayhew was a tenth rounder, maybe he thinks you can get talented corner's in the later rounds.
You forgot to mention DE on your list. Think that should be a priority. Especially in this years draft. Too much talent at that position to be ignored.

Just for example, from NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM I listed their top 18

Bjoern Werner DE 1 Florida State Jr 6-4 256 1
*Damontre Moore DE 2 Texas A&M Jr 6-4 250 1
*Sam Montgomery DE 3 LSU rJr 6-5 260 1
Alex Okafor DE 4 Texas Sr 6-5 265 1
Ezekiel Ansah DE 5 Brigham Young Sr 6-5 270 1
Dion Jordan DE 6 Oregon rSr 6-6 243 1-2
Margus Hunt DE 7 Southern Methodist rSr 6-7 280 2
Datone Jones DE 8 UCLA rSr 6-4 275 2
*Jackson Jeffcoat Injured DE 9 Texas Jr 6-5 245 2-3
*Corey Lemonier DE 10 Auburn Jr 6-3 242 2-3
*Dominique Easley DE 11 Florida Jr 6-2 280 2-3
Cornellius Carradine Injured DE 12 Florida State Sr 6-4 265 3
*William Gholston DE 13 Michigan State Jr 6-6 278 3-4
Lavar Edwards DE 14 LSU rSr 6-4 258 3-4
Malliciah Goodman DE 15 Clemson Sr 6-4 280 4
Michael Buchanan DE 16 Illinois Sr 6-5 240 4-5
*Joe Kruger DE 17 Utah Jr 6-6 280 5
Devin Taylor DE 18 South Carolina rSr 6-7 267 5-6

I really liked Hunt in SMU's Bowl game

January 7th, 2013, 6:50 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
As much as people are clamouring for a CB, unless we can get one in the 2nd round, why bother? To take one in the 4th or 5th, would be giving up on Green and Bently.

This.

We need TOP talent at the position, not guys that have upside and MAYBE, just MAYBE down the road they can be contributors. Bentley showed promise early.

I think same goes with safety. Its such a need that if we take one later, chances are it isnt going to be an upgrade of what we already have. And thats what we need, an UPGRADE. At the same time, it probably wouldnt take a whole lot to get an upgrade to the pathetic safeties we have now.

Im gonna watch Milliner VERY close tonight, but other than that I am very high on Banks and like Rhodes. If we cant land one of them (at this point that is), move on to another position.

Just our luck though that there isnt a top 5 worthy CB or S the time we are picking top 5. We need a trade down. But thats beside the point.

Anyways, another star you can put on your refrigerator WJB.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 7th, 2013, 8:56 pm
League MVP

I agree also, if we get a good CB relatively early that could help us. Otherwise Im all for signing a veteran not unlike the Wright signing two years ago (someone of higher quality than Lacey) and developing the late round picks we already have. Similar deal at WR but Im not opposed to drafting someone at WR in Rds 4-7 to develop in addition to signing someone to take Nate's role. The FA would patch us for next season but they need more than just Broyles for the future.

January 7th, 2013, 11:36 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
As much as people are clamouring for a CB, unless we can get one in the 2nd round, why bother? To take one in the 4th or 5th, would be giving up on Green and Bently.

This.

We need TOP talent at the position, not guys that have upside and MAYBE, just MAYBE down the road they can be contributors. Bentley showed promise early.

I think same goes with safety. Its such a need that if we take one later, chances are it isnt going to be an upgrade of what we already have. And thats what we need, an UPGRADE. At the same time, it probably wouldnt take a whole lot to get an upgrade to the pathetic safeties we have now.

Im gonna watch Milliner VERY close tonight, but other than that I am very high on Banks and like Rhodes. If we cant land one of them (at this point that is), move on to another position.

Just our luck though that there isnt a top 5 worthy CB or S the time we are picking top 5. We need a trade down. But thats beside the point.

Anyways, another star you can put on your refrigerator WJB.

The key phrase being " probably wouldnt take a whole lot to get an upgrade to the pathetic safeties we have now "
I like the way Lester is playing tonight. Also like Kenny Vaccaro and T.J. McDonald.

January 7th, 2013, 11:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3