View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mayhew 
Post Re: Mayhew
liontrax wrote:
It'll be interesting to see if Mayhew actually has the guts to follow thru with making major changes to the back-end. We could be looking at Green and Bentley as our starting corners. Is Delmas going to be resigned? Hope so.
I"m all for drafting a CB and S in the 1st 3 rounds and having them start. As for the LB's, I don't mind letting the fa's go, and starting the kids they drafted last year. The way I look at it they can't play a whole lot worse, and need playing time to see if they will pan out.

I agree with you about the LBs. I don't think Ashlee Palmer can do much worse than what we're trotting out there now. Maybe pick one up in the 2nd round if he falls or pick up another later round guy.

However, I do NOT want to start a first year S and CB. Maybe one or the other, and only if it's a first or second round pick. A first year S and CB is going to cause too much confusion and disrupt the D. I'd rather have someone out there that knows the D and lacks talent, than two guys out there that don't know the D, even if it nets us a SMALL amount of gain in the talent column.

Screw Delmas.

January 5th, 2013, 11:45 pm
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
liontrax wrote:
It'll be interesting to see if Mayhew actually has the guts to follow thru with making major changes to the back-end. We could be looking at Green and Bentley as our starting corners. Is Delmas going to be resigned? Hope so.
I"m all for drafting a CB and S in the 1st 3 rounds and having them start. As for the LB's, I don't mind letting the fa's go, and starting the kids they drafted last year. The way I look at it they can't play a whole lot worse, and need playing time to see if they will pan out.

I agree. I don't think the Lewis boys would be any worse than Levy and Durant.
And they are cheaper. I think we can get an OT, CB, and Safety in the first 3 rounds. If we can resign Avril and get a Center and a Guard in free agency, we are in super bowl contention next year. I think Lojack and Young can rotate on the side opposite Avril for a year. We can get a DE in next years draft.

I dont think Levy and Durant this past season were bad players. Both are solid and Levy was much improved from prior seasons. The problem is they arent great players. They cant cover up a deficient secondary behind them, they cant force turnovers when the offense messes up and leaves them behind the 8 ball of a short field. If the DL is playing aggressive trying to penetrate and leaving big running lanes, they cant make up for it. The Lewis "brothers" or Whitehead/Palmer could definitely be worse but the question is can you use the money you would have had to spend on Levy/Durant and get better overall by adding to other areas and also changing the coaching philosophy on the defense?

January 6th, 2013, 11:12 am
Mr. Irrelevant

When Mayhew/Schwartz took over they said they would build this team the right way (thru the draft). So, when the players they have starting, ain't gettin it done, time to move up the latest batch of draftees, and give them the opportunity to prove themselves. I'm not in favor of rewarding middle of the road FA's on this team with new contracts and starting positions. If we draft a corner and safety in the first 3 rounds, then play them, sink or swim. We've already seen what the previous draft choices can't do. This team needs to evolve, the kids are the future. Cut loose of over priced vets that can't get it done.

January 6th, 2013, 10:12 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
When Mayhew/Schwartz took over they said they would build this team the right way (thru the draft). So, when the players they have starting, ain't gettin it done, time to move up the latest batch of draftees, and give them the opportunity to prove themselves. I'm not in favor of rewarding middle of the road FA's on this team with new contracts and starting positions. If we draft a corner and safety in the first 3 rounds, then play them, sink or swim. We've already seen what the previous draft choices can't do. This team needs to evolve, the kids are the future. Cut loose of over priced vets that can't get it done.

Which IMO made no sense to men why we werent playing our rookies and young guys in the last game.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 7th, 2013, 5:58 am
League MVP

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Which IMO made no sense to men why we werent playing our rookies and young guys in the last game.

exactly, sign of a dysfunctional organization. fighting for 5-11 rather than 2013 season...

January 7th, 2013, 8:11 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Quote:
Returning Lions to playoffs falls on Martin Mayhew
Bob Wojnowski

Reshaping a Lions team that was in a tailspin for much of 2012 season falls on general manager Martin Mayhew, who must uncover some playmakers to help a woeful defense.

This is it. This is the offseason we learn if Martin Mayhew is truly clever, or simply an Accidental GM. This is the most important juncture of Mayhew's career, which also makes it the most important of Jim Schwartz's career.

And the more you pick through the Lions' roster, while watching the NFL's best battle in the playoffs, the more daunting the task appears. The Lions have Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford, Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley. Beyond that? Beyond that, they have 22 unrestricted free agents, second most in the league, with modest to paltry credentials. The roster is fixable because broken teams get fixed all the time in the NFL, but it will be one profoundly difficult exercise.

We're five years removed from the Matt Millen pox, and the Lions' record is 22-42. If they don't make the playoffs next season, Mayhew and Schwartz should be gone. I have no idea if the Ford family concurs, but the level of disgust with this 4-12 pratfall practically rivals the 0-16 season.

As much as the Lions claim hope isn't a strategy, that's precisely what burned them. Mayhew hoped Jahvid Best would be healthy to make big plays on offense, and safety Louis Delmas would stay healthy to anchor the defense. Neither happened and neither is likely to happen, with Best's career almost assuredly over.

Mayhew must dump any quaint notion of loyalty, and begin ruthlessly redoing the roster. The defense was horrible at the end of the 10-6 playoff season, and incredibly, the Lions did virtually nothing to address it. Complacency? Foolishness? Salary-cap reality?

A bit of everything. They brought back 21 of 22 starters, then discovered continuity is the right approach only if the players are really good. Now the defense needs more work than can be accomplished in one offseason, but Mayhew and his staff have pushed the boundaries of patience, straight toward desperation.

"We need guys who can impact the game," Mayhew said in his postseason comments. "We've got a lot of good guys. They line up right and they know what their job is. But they don't impact the game."
Getting defensive

The Lions have the best receiver in football, a potential star at quarterback and a couple of potentially dominant forces on the defensive line. They have a top. They have little in the middle and no bottom. They have no depth. And as Mayhew pointed out, they don't have nearly enough playmakers.

There's no guaranteed formula for making the playoffs. Some teams have superstar quarterbacks (Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning), some have big-play running backs (Marshawn Lynch, Arian Foster). But most have impact players on defense.

Green Bay was rocked by injuries, but Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson still make huge plays. Houston is a contender because of its defense, led by 20.5-sack man J.J. Watt. Seattle has a terrific secondary, San Francisco has six Pro Bowlers on defense and Baltimore has had one of the all-time talented groups, although it's down to Ray Lewis' last stand.

Of the 10 players with the most sacks in the NFL, eight are on playoff teams, led by Watt, the 49ers' Aldon Smith (19.5) and the Broncos' Von Miller (18.5). The Lions' leading sacker was Cliff Avril with 9.5 and he's a free agent again, and the team's decision will be much tougher. Eight defensive starters are free agents, and I have three pointed questions for Mayhew.

1. Can you again tie your defense, emotionally and tactically, to the oft-injured Delmas? I say no.

2. Can you get by with three linebackers that make tackles but not big plays? I say no, which means free agents DeAndre Levy or Justin Durant could be gone.

3. Must you try feverishly to keep Chris Houston, your only proven cornerback? Yep.
It's on Mayhew

There has been plenty of legitimate focus on Schwartz's shortcomings, and now it's Mayhew's turn. And I hope in the back rooms of the Allen Park facility, there's honest self-analysis going on. His mid-to-late-round drafting has been abysmal, with the only decent assets plucked from rounds 4-7 in four years being Sammie Hill and Willie Young.

Mayhew says he's sticking to the best-player-available approach, but I think he's just toying with semantics. It's the "best player available for the Lions roster," and that means it has to be a defensive player with the No. 5 pick, probably an end such as Florida State's Bjoern Werner, LSU's Barkevious Mingo or Texas A&M's Damontre Moore.

The Lions need someone who can knock the ball loose on a sack, or return an interception for a touchdown. They were the only team in the league without a return touchdown of any kind.

Without a healthy Delmas, and with all the cornerback injuries and ousters, the secondary was decimated. Maybe injured rookie Bill Bentley will emerge. Maybe on offense, someone besides Johnson will fill the big-play void. The running game wasn't remotely explosive or consistent, and the disappointment extended from Mikel Leshoure to an offensive line that has to be reworked.

The Lions should look a lot different this time next year, if they plan to be playing this time next year. This is on Mayhew, because to get impact guys, you need an impact guy to find them.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... z2Hg3HDWGb

Exactly what I've been saying, Mayhew must do a better job in the draft. His inability to properly evaluate players he's selected is killing us.

January 11th, 2013, 10:38 am
Walk On

Martin Mayhew: Lions will be players in free agency, unlike last year
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 7, 2013, 2:51 PM EST
Martin Mayhew AP

Last year the cap-strapped Lions did virtually nothing in free agency, and their 4-12 record suggests that was a problem. This year, Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew says, the Lions expect to bolster their roster with some free agent signings.

“We were non-players in free agency last year,” Mayhew said. “I do think that we plan to make some moves.”
THANK GOD!!!

The Lions are about $5 million under the 2013 salary cap after releasing Titus Young, Stephen Peterman and Kyle Vanden Bosch, and they’re hoping to work out a long-term contract with quarterback Matthew Stafford that will lower his 2013 cap number, which under his current deal would be about $20 million. Mayhew knows the Lions have to add players.

“We need to make some changes,” Mayhew said. “Obviously, things aren’t going in the right direction. I don’t think they went in the right direction last year. We’ve got to make some changes and have to improve our roster, and we’ll definitely make some moves in that direction.”

If the Lions don’t make the right moves, this could be Mayhew’s last year of calling the shots in Detroit.

Draft the BLACK MAMBA!! Ducks #6

February 7th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Mufasa wrote:
Martin Mayhew: Lions will be players in free agency, unlike last year
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 7, 2013, 2:51 PM EST
Martin Mayhew AP

Last year the cap-strapped Lions did virtually nothing in free agency, and their 4-12 record suggests that was a problem. This year, Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew says, the Lions expect to bolster their roster with some free agent signings.

“We were non-players in free agency last year,” Mayhew said. “I do think that we plan to make some moves.”
THANK GOD!!!

The Lions are about $5 million under the 2013 salary cap after releasing Titus Young, Stephen Peterman and Kyle Vanden Bosch, and they’re hoping to work out a long-term contract with quarterback Matthew Stafford that will lower his 2013 cap number, which under his current deal would be about $20 million. Mayhew knows the Lions have to add players.

“We need to make some changes,” Mayhew said. “Obviously, things aren’t going in the right direction. I don’t think they went in the right direction last year. We’ve got to make some changes and have to improve our roster, and we’ll definitely make some moves in that direction.”

If the Lions don’t make the right moves, this could be Mayhew’s last year of calling the shots in Detroit.

So with $5 million dollars we need to resign Durant, Houston, and all of our rookies, and replace Levy... And that's assuming that we're putting Reiff at RT and letting Gos walk (almost have to at this point, we don't have a dollar to spend)... hmmmm I think my offseason plan last year... eh.. never mind... I just hated those guys I thought we should have cut... :roll:

February 7th, 2013, 9:19 pm
RIP Killer

Really?

February 7th, 2013, 10:03 pm
conversion02 wrote:
Really?

For an entire year I was asked why I hated Nate B, Cliff Avril, Peterman, Corey Williams, etc. I was called a hater. I was told that I don't understand football, what it takes to build a winning team, and I was told repeatedly "Mayhew and Lewand know more than you, let it go." I was also called a hater, told to go root or another team, all while explaining to you guys the exact scenario that we're in now, and cautioning that we were going to end up right here. And that included you C02.

I think I earned the right to beat a dead horse a bit.

February 7th, 2013, 11:07 pm
RIP Killer

You wanted peterman replaced, like everyone else, due to quality, not cap space. I hardly think you were having a fit about 2.5M.

Either way, you wanted them to cut everyone to leave us with garbage at DE, what you're still complaining about this year (except take away the only end worth a flying chit), plug in an unknown at DT (when c-will came off a very good year), a whiny b!tch (who cares so much about himself he'd purposely try to ruin a game Chicago black sox style) as the #2 WR....really?

How in the F is that building a football team? You have already voiced your displeasure with Reiff and the potential of him starting anywhere on the line, but it'd be ok for fairley and Titus (who were both largely unknowns coming into this last year)? There's so much double standard it's ridiculous.

I am trying to see your point, but it's a lot easier to be the Monday morning QB when guys like fairley actually panned out. It's also easy to say that when Nate destroyed his leg, avril had a rough year, and c-will was hurt all year. I'm sure you saw all that coming, but nobody else did. I would like to have saved money too, but Tracy porter wasn't signing here for beans and what kind of year did he have again? Yeah...

Again, it's not that I don't disagree with some of what you're saying, but without knowing who else thy tried to get, tried to trade (or trade for), exact contract details, etc, its just too damn easy to say moves were bad and they should have done this or that. Yes, mayhew admitted he was wrong. I get that. Hell, i will even admit that he should have made some moves, but i can only talk about what i think is realistic (which might have been an actual pipe dream in all actuality). You can complain about the situation as a whole, but not necessarily about the specifics because of the above 3 paragraphs.

February 7th, 2013, 11:51 pm
QB Coach

We have 5 million under the cap right now, but I expect Stafford to get a new deal which should net us about 10M more. With $15M and possibly a few other roster moves, we'll have space to add 1 or 2 decent players and re-sign a couple of our guys.

February 8th, 2013, 2:16 am
conversion02 wrote:
You wanted peterman replaced, like everyone else, due to quality, not cap space. I hardly think you were having a fit about 2.5M.

Either way, you wanted them to cut everyone to leave us with garbage at DE, what you're still complaining about this year (except take away the only end worth a flying chit), plug in an unknown at DT (when c-will came off a very good year), a whiny b!tch (who cares so much about himself he'd purposely try to ruin a game Chicago black sox style) as the #2 WR....really?

How in the F is that building a football team? You have already voiced your displeasure with Reiff and the potential of him starting anywhere on the line, but it'd be ok for fairley and Titus (who were both largely unknowns coming into this last year)? There's so much double standard it's ridiculous.

I am trying to see your point, but it's a lot easier to be the Monday morning QB when guys like fairley actually panned out. It's also easy to say that when Nate destroyed his leg, avril had a rough year, and c-will was hurt all year. I'm sure you saw all that coming, but nobody else did. I would like to have saved money too, but Tracy porter wasn't signing here for beans and what kind of year did he have again? Yeah...

Again, it's not that I don't disagree with some of what you're saying, but without knowing who else thy tried to get, tried to trade (or trade for), exact contract details, etc, its just too damn easy to say moves were bad and they should have done this or that. Yes, mayhew admitted he was wrong. I get that. Hell, i will even admit that he should have made some moves, but i can only talk about what i think is realistic (which might have been an actual pipe dream in all actuality). You can complain about the situation as a whole, but not necessarily about the specifics because of the above 3 paragraphs.

Cutting Peterman last year would have saved closer to $5 million dollars (his pro rated salary 2012 plus his FULL 2013 salary), and money was an issue for me. Saving that $4.5 million dollars was the primary reason I wanted to draft Peter Kontz, look it up.

Actually, I never wanted Titus as a #2, I advocated signing a FA #2. May have cost us Titus, but I don't care about that. I don't care that we lost Titus. I don't even like Titus. What I'm mad about is that we don't have a #2 WR. I wanted us to sign someone like Mario Manningham, and I advocated brining in Randy Moss for a vet min contract. Two moves that SF made. Look where it got them... I realize neither player contributed much stasticlly, but they provided quality depth and a veteran presence on a team that needed it. I think they would have done the same here.

Again, Corey Willams was poised to be the #3 DT last year, and he was. At that position he wasn't worth $5.5 million. He was the equivilent to having a brand new car or perfectly fine car in the garage that we're still paying on, and going out and getting a brand new better car that we can't afford, and refusing to get rid of the old car. Stupid. Like I said, we couldn't afford him, we likely could have gotten a 5th for him, and we could have drafted a replacement last year.

I never wanted to "cut Avril and leave us with a garbage DE" I wanted him traded BEFORE the draft, and I didn't want to be left with a garbage DE, I wanted us to draft Avril's replacement last year. In fact, I stated as soon as the draft was over that Avril "handcuffed us" and we HAD to bring him back at all costs if we were to have a good season.

So, to recap, we would have been over $30 million ahead of the game my way, we would have Manningham, Porter, a drafted 4th DT, and a drafted DE to replace Avril, and Peter Kontz on the roster to take over for Dom this year had we done what I wanted to last offseason. That's a hell of an improvement to where we are now, and I'm not re-writing history. All of these moves were well documented last offseason.

February 8th, 2013, 10:24 am
Veteran General Manager

We could trade or cut every player on this roster and field a team of new draft picks and undrafted FA's. Advance all dead money to this year. And have about $115 Million dollars to start over with next year. That might make someone on this site happy. LOL.

February 13th, 2013, 10:33 pm
BillySims wrote:
We could trade or cut every player on this roster and field a team of new draft picks and undrafted FA's. Advance all dead money to this year. And have about $115 Million dollars to start over with next year. That might make someone on this site happy. LOL.

We'd probably be better off Billy. Most of the expansion teams have had more success than this horrible squad.

That said, again, like aways, you refuse to address anything on the merits, and take things to a ridiculous extreme in an attempt to de-legitimize someone's perspective.

February 14th, 2013, 4:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next