View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 6:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Biggest Need next year? 
Post Re: Biggest Need next year?
Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
dh86 wrote:
The biggest need is absolutely the offensive line. With the Lions potentially giving Stafford a contract rivaling the elite passers of the game, we have to truly account for his importance to the team, and build around his skillset. Stafford gets erratic under pressure. We rarely see the much talked about sidearm throws when hes not running for his life looking for a play. When he has a clean pocket, he makes the right choice, and he justifies his status much more often than not. Luke Joeckel is the obvious pick if hes there at 5, but all 4 teams ahead of us in the draft could certainly use a LT, but given Staffords importance to the team, Id lean Taylor Lewan over the quality pass rushers at #5 too just based on where the Lions are, and the positive impact he can make. Jeff Backus is at the end of the road, so it would be a good move to make. The Lions havent drafted an interior lineman since prior to Mayhew being GM, we have to be mindful of that as well.

Agree that Stafford is the franchise and needs to be protected at all costs. But if the Lions take Lewan at 5, I'll know that Mayhew isn't any better at drafting than his predecessor.

Agree with this.

C'mon... That's short-sighted and harsh.

I could agree that if they take Lewan AND he fails (Lewan hasn't even declared yet, I don't think) THEN we know that he isn't any better at drafting than his predecessor, but you have to at least give his prospects a chance.

That said, I'm really anxious to see what sort of deal Jake Long gets, and if we're a player at all in landing him via FA. I really don't think we will be, given Mayhew's comments about "only having enough money to keep our own FAs," but it would be nice to land a FA or two to plug some holes prior to the draft.

Drop those overpaid guys (including Avril), grab Jake Long, grab the best 4-3 DE in the draft, HEAVILY pursue Jairus Byrd/maybe Goldson to put at FS and Delmas at SS, we're a 10-6 or better team, can run the ball more efficiently, can give our CBs some freedom with a ballhawk lurking around, and still have leftover money for more good players.

I agree with you completely, and I'll add, pick up an OG to groom to take over for Dom and cut Peterman ASAP (money savings and talent increase). I have a hard time believing that a 3rd round rookie couldn't take Peterman's job in a minute.

conversion02 wrote:
And you don't think long or Byrd will be overpaid? ha! Long looked terrible this year and is going to be very overpaid. He looked like a crusty shell of his former self. I'm not saying he's bad, but he was far from top 5 and that's where he wants to be paid. If Miami (who has a load of cap space won't pay him what he wants, that obviously says something.

I think Byrd will be over-paid, but I think he's worth it.

I've heard reports that say Long struggled because Miami switched blocking schemes and offense strategies. I don't know how true that is, but that's what I've heard. Also, you don't think other teams have recognized that he struggled? He's hitting the open market and will go to the highest bidder. That said, I don't think he's going to get top 5 money after last season. If a team coughs up that kind of dough, fine walk, but sign the next best FA.

January 5th, 2013, 5:55 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I highly doubt Mayhew signs any big time FA's. Signing a Guard would make more sense if he did sign one. Much smaller contract, and would probably go farther to improving the run game.

January 5th, 2013, 7:18 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

As for Lewan, even though he's currently ranked top ten on several big boards, I just don't see it. Last night I watched Texas A&M, that have two Tackles I felt looked much more polished than Lewan.

January 5th, 2013, 7:42 pm
liontrax wrote:
As for Lewan, even though he's currently ranked top ten on several big boards, I just don't see it. Last night I watched Texas A&M, that have two Tackles I felt looked much more polished than Lewan.

I'm a UofM guy, and I still don't see all of the love. Maybe after another year in college...

I agree with you that we likely won't land anyone. Mayhew loves the same old, same old... Which is why we're stuck in this huge rut.

January 5th, 2013, 7:45 pm
RIP Killer

Not a Lewan fan. Reminds me of Robert gallery.

January 5th, 2013, 9:57 pm
QB Coach

We're not getting Jake Long. Quality left tackles don't hit the open market and the few times they do, they get monster contracts. Yeah he had an off year, but he's still going to get paid.

Byrd is an option, but with the cap situation we're in and the amount of players we have to replace, I'm not sure we're going to be able to add any top tier talent in free agency.

Andy Levitre is the Bills guard who is slated to be a free agent. They locked up their other guard, Urbik, to a 4 year extension. I have a feeling they'll try to get something done with Andy, but if not he'd be a good target. Or, we could use a third round pick on a guard.

January 5th, 2013, 10:18 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
We're not getting Jake Long. Quality left tackles don't hit the open market and the few times they do, they get monster contracts. Yeah he had an off year, but he's still going to get paid.

Byrd is an option, but with the cap situation we're in and the amount of players we have to replace, I'm not sure we're going to be able to add any top tier talent in free agency.

Andy Levitre is the Bills guard who is slated to be a free agent. They locked up their other guard, Urbik, to a 4 year extension. I have a feeling they'll try to get something done with Andy, but if not he'd be a good target. Or, we could use a third round pick on a guard.

Given what Urbik got, we could probably land Levitre for what we would be paying Peterman. I doubt Mayhew has the foresight to do anything though, he thinks his players are "good."

I'd give up Avril and put more into Byrd. Byrd isn't going to make Avril type money (or at least what Avril is going to ask for), and he'll do more for our D. Let Avril walk, sign a LT, and use the 5th for a DE.

January 5th, 2013, 11:36 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Given what Urbik got, we could probably land Levitre for what we would be paying Peterman. I doubt Mayhew has the foresight to do anything though, he thinks his players are "good."

I'd give up Avril and put more into Byrd. Byrd isn't going to make Avril type money (or at least what Avril is going to ask for), and he'll do more for our D. Let Avril walk, sign a LT, and use the 5th for a DE.

Actually, Mayhew called out the interior line when asked to assess Stafford's season. Peterman, at the very least, should be gone. They would probably drop Dom as well, but might not because Cherilus (and possibly Backus) will probably also be gone. That's a lot of changes on the O-line.

January 7th, 2013, 11:14 am
League MVP

Eddie Lacy looking like a beast, espn has him rated as 6th best draft eligible RB. He s a steal if thats true - kid has oustanding vision lateral movement power and a great spin move...

January 7th, 2013, 11:03 pm
The Legend wrote:
Eddie Lacy looking like a beast, espn has him rated as 6th best draft eligible RB. He s a steal if thats true - kid has oustanding vision lateral movement power and a great spin move...

But, but... He's not a "speed back"

:roll:

January 7th, 2013, 11:40 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Lacey does look good, shows patience, nice burst, hard to tackle, runs to daylight. Those are some of the same attributes Leshoure had coming out of college. But now he plays behind the Lions O-line, and there is no daylight.

January 7th, 2013, 11:51 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

But, but... He's not a "speed back"

:roll:

i realize ur being sarcastic but i still think a speed back would ve helped complement the players we had this past season. if we could get a true every down back which is what Lacy appears to be then you probably dont need the speed back except for some situations where you want to run some gimmick type plays.

January 8th, 2013, 12:06 am
Heisman Winner

If you want Lacy be sure to get Warmack to come with him. Hes eating T'eo and the ND gang alive all day.

January 8th, 2013, 12:10 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

jrd66 wrote:
If you want Lacy be sure to get Warmack to come with him. Hes eating T'eo and the ND gang alive all day.

Teo looking like the second coming of Levy. :shock: :?

January 8th, 2013, 12:14 am
Hogue is on the bubble? Isn't he playing for Carolina or something like that?

January 8th, 2013, 12:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13