View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2014, 2:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Lions coaches not opposed to adjusting defensive scheme..... 
Modmin Dude

Post Lions coaches not opposed to adjusting defensive scheme.....
Isn't that what good coaches are supposed to do??? ](*,)
DetroitLIons.com wrote:
Detroit Lions coaches aren't opposed to adjusting defensive scheme to best suit personnel
Posted 23 hours ago

Both head coach Jim Schwartz and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said after the season that they aren’t married to any particular scheme and there’s always tweaking that goes on in the offseason.

When Jim Schwartz took over as head coach in 2009 he brought with him the “Wide 9” defensive scheme, which places a premium on getting the defensive line up the field to rush the passer.

One defensive end lines up on the outside shoulder of the tight end (nine technique), giving them a chance to build speed and velocity before engaging the offensive tackle. The rest of the line shifts around to multiple positions throughout the game to obtain maximum penetration. The scheme relies on linebackers to fill the gaps left by the forward pushing linemen.

It’s built to rush the passer and the Lions were one of the best sack artists in the league in 2010 (44) and 2011 (41), ranking No. 6 and No. 10, respectively, in the NFL.

That number dipped down to 34 this year (ranking at No. 16) and no individual reached double digits in sacks.

Defensive end Cliff Avril led the team with 9.5 and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had eight. The four other defensive ends of the roster besides Avril – Kyle Vanden Bosch, Lawrence Jackson, Willie Young and Ronnell Lewis – combined for six.

Schwartz has always said that rushing the passer is a major priority of his and that’s been confirmed by the resources the Lions have placed into building their defensive line. They've drafted Suh and Nick Fairley, signed Vanden Bosch in free agency and placed the franchise tag on Avril last season at $10.6 million.

But both Schwartz and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said after the season that they aren’t married to any particular scheme and there’s always tweaking that goes on in the offseason.

“We evaluate every Monday after every single game. Adjustments we need to make, things we need to do better, things that work, things that didn’t work,” Schwartz said.

“You also do that on a yearly basis. Part of it is also tied into personnel that you have and you want your schemes to match your personnel. You have a general philosophy, but there’s some flexibility within that philosophy.”

That flexibility will depend on a number of factors heading into next year, including: personnel decisions, incoming rookies, how some young players from last year’s rookie class develop, and free agent acquisitions.

All of those will play a hand in what scheme best suits the personnel for next season. After a 4-12 season, the Lions shouldn’t be afraid to tinker with anything.

“To me the most important thing to address is each and every player and evaluate him separately, each guy,” Cunningham said. “You know, decide what they can do for the future and that’s the same thing with scheme.

“You know, the book that I end up giving Jim (Schwartz) at the end of the cut-ups, I think he wants to put it all on a computer because it’s probably too heavy to carry. We go through every aspect of it like any team in this league does. I think we do a real good job of that with personnel and the scheme. So, we’ll see what happens.”

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions- ... bcca083302
PFT wrote:
Jim Schwartz: Lions not married to any defensive scheme

Posted by Josh Alper on January 10, 2013, 10:25 AM EST

AP
The Lions opted to retain General Manager Martin Mayhew and coach Jim Schwartz after a 4-12 season, but that doesn’t mean the status quo will remain in place across the entire organization.

Schwartz and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham both said that the team is not locked into to any particular defensive scheme and that they would evaluate this year’s results to tweak things to fit the personnel on hand.

“We evaluate every Monday after every single game. Adjustments we need to make, things we need to do better, things that work, things that didn’t work,” Schwartz said. “You also do that on a yearly basis. Part of it is also tied into personnel that you have and you want your schemes to match your personnel. You have a general philosophy, but there’s some flexibility within that philosophy.”

While they didn’t discuss it specifically, Tim Twentyman of the Lions’ website suggests that could mean less of the Wide-9 look that the Lions have featured since Schwartz’s arrival in 2009. The scheme is predicated on creating pressure on opposing quarterbacks, but the Lions saw a drop in sacks in 2012 as they allowed three more points per game than they did in 2011.

We’ll see what changes wind up getting made, but we’d expect to see a fair amount of them in Detroit if Mayhew and Schwartz are going to avoid the axe again this time next year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ve-scheme/

January 10th, 2013, 1:39 pm
League MVP

Post Re: Lions coaches not opposed to adjusting defensive scheme.
It may be cheaper to switch to a different system especially since staying in the wide 9 would require them to stick with 2 high priced DEs in Avril and KVB or find guys to replace them

January 10th, 2013, 5:51 pm
I read this a while ago...

It maddens me that they're "not opposed to it now," but stick with it without contemplating change all year, as we went 4-12. That's what I can't stand about this coaching staff. They're too stubborn, stupid, or ignorant to what's going on around them to make proper decisions and help this team. We don't adjust, we don't create, we just pick a plan and go forward not for a 1/2, not for a game, but for a whole season, guns blazing, for better or for worse. It's ridiculous.

January 10th, 2013, 5:55 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

In their defense, they were saying the same things when they took over here. I don't think they're forcing players to play in a scheme that doesn't suit them: a lot of players have raved about the scheme.

Bottom line: the players need to step up and make plays. Is it Gun's fault that KVB drops an interception that he could've run back for an easy pick 6 to win the Houston game? How many INTs did Houston drop this year? For that matter, how many INTs did we drop as a team this year? The list goes on and on. I don't have a problem with the scheme; I have a problem with players not playing up to their potential.

January 10th, 2013, 10:38 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I would have to believe this about the Lions moving away from playing the wide 9 the defensive line that was supposed to carry the defense never came close.

With Vandenbosh and his last legs and Avril set to be a free agent the LIons are best dumping that scheme rather trying to find someone to play it.

January 10th, 2013, 11:43 pm
Veteran General Manager

thelomasbrowns wrote:
In their defense, they were saying the same things when they took over here. I don't think they're forcing players to play in a scheme that doesn't suit them: a lot of players have raved about the scheme.

Bottom line: the players need to step up and make plays. Is it Gun's fault that KVB drops an interception that he could've run back for an easy pick 6 to win the Houston game? How many INTs did Houston drop this year? For that matter, how many INTs did we drop as a team this year? The list goes on and on. I don't have a problem with the scheme; I have a problem with players not playing up to their potential.

Amen. Same with Offensive play calling. Any called play will work if it is executed properly.

January 11th, 2013, 9:01 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:

The players rave about the "system" because it's one that puts them in a position to rack up a bunch of good numbers, even if it's not necessarily a good, stable system. It's more of a high-risk, high-reward type of system, of course the players are going to like it, but then again, dogs like anti-freeze... It doesn't mean you should give it to them...

January 11th, 2013, 9:05 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

thelomasbrowns wrote:

Bottom line: the players need to step up and make plays. Is it Gun's fault that KVB drops an interception that he could've run back for an easy pick 6 to win the Houston game? How many INTs did Houston drop this year? For that matter, how many INTs did we drop as a team this year? The list goes on and on. I don't have a problem with the scheme; [/b]have a problem with players not playing up to their potential[b].

But who do you hold responsible when almost everybody doesn't performs to potential though? IMO only 3-4 guys looked better than they did last year. Suh, Fairly, levy and maybe Durant looked like they took a step forward this year. To me it looked like everyone else stepped backwards or made no progress.

January 12th, 2013, 12:32 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Bottom line: the players need to step up and make plays. Is it Gun's fault that KVB drops an interception that he could've run back for an easy pick 6 to win the Houston game? How many INTs did Houston drop this year? For that matter, how many INTs did we drop as a team this year? The list goes on and on. I don't have a problem with the scheme; [/b]have a problem with players not playing up to their potential[b].

But who do you hold responsible when almost everybody doesn't performs to potential though? IMO only 3-4 guys looked better than they did last year. Suh, Fairly, levy and maybe Durant looked like they took a step forward this year. To me it looked like everyone else stepped backwards or made no progress.

Well, besides Houston, you almost have to disqualify the whole secondary from that measurement with all the random scrubs we had back there. Inexperienced guys and guys off the street must have a (negative) effect on the players around them. I don't have an explanation for the defensive ends though besides KVB getting old.

January 12th, 2013, 2:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]