View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Lovie!?! 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Lovie!?!
conversion02 wrote:
Isn't Arians like 70 and just go to the hospital?

Either way, I didn't realize what I would start here, so I'm moving this to around the league...

Arian's 60 I believe and the hospital thing was just for the flu (or so they said). He's the one coordinator that would scare me with the Bears--if they got him, they would probably be pretty good next year. Most of the other candidates and they'd be in full-on rebuilding mode.

January 7th, 2013, 10:30 am
Walk On

The Legend wrote:
IE - I agree with most of what you wrote. Regarding Lovie, when the Bears fired him I thought they had a surefire proven candidate ready to come in like a Cowher or Gruden but that appears to not be the case. It looks like they are interviewing other teams OC people like Arians, Carmichael, McCoy etc. Im not sure any of them are slam dunks to succeed and thats why they might regret losing a guy thats been pretty steady.

Yeah... at first I was thinking, "cool - maybe it will be Cowher or Gruden" ... but the more I hear it discussed and hear Phil Emery's press conference (did you listen? impressive guy), the more I realize what the Bears need is modern head coaching and an offensive mindset in what is clearly an offensive league. The Bears have won a lot of games with defense - but mostly against bad teams. They really haven't been able to beat any good teams in years, and that is because of the offense.

Even though Lovie was a defensive guy, and tried to delegate the offense - he still needed to be held accountable for their abysmal performance. And he DID go way out of his way to defend & even talk up players like Kellen Davis and Devin Hester... who have teased at times, but over & over keep disappointing without being held accountable for their performance. There are a lot of less-talented teams on offense and teams with marginal offensive lines that managed to far-outperform the Bears offensively. And that is why Lovie is gone.

And I think that is why we should expect Emery to hire hard-core offensive minds, and maybe even more than one. He could end up hiring an Arians or McCoy AND a guy like Trestman or a college OC like the A&M guy (can't remember his name).

January 7th, 2013, 7:55 pm
I.E. wrote:
The Legend wrote:
IE - I agree with most of what you wrote. Regarding Lovie, when the Bears fired him I thought they had a surefire proven candidate ready to come in like a Cowher or Gruden but that appears to not be the case. It looks like they are interviewing other teams OC people like Arians, Carmichael, McCoy etc. Im not sure any of them are slam dunks to succeed and thats why they might regret losing a guy thats been pretty steady.

Yeah... at first I was thinking, "cool - maybe it will be Cowher or Gruden" ... but the more I hear it discussed and hear Phil Emery's press conference (did you listen? impressive guy), the more I realize what the Bears need is modern head coaching and an offensive mindset in what is clearly an offensive league. The Bears have won a lot of games with defense - but mostly against bad teams. They really haven't been able to beat any good teams in years, and that is because of the offense.

Don't tell anyone on here that... We need DEFENSE!!!

January 7th, 2013, 8:04 pm
League MVP

I.E. wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Even though Lovie was a defensive guy, and tried to delegate the offense - he still needed to be held accountable for their abysmal performance. And he DID go way out of his way to defend & even talk up players like Kellen Davis and Devin Hester... who have teased at times, but over & over keep disappointing without being held accountable for their performance. There are a lot of less-talented teams on offense and teams with marginal offensive lines that managed to far-outperform the Bears offensively. And that is why Lovie is gone.

And I think that is why we should expect Emery to hire hard-core offensive minds, and maybe even more than one. He could end up hiring an Arians or McCoy AND a guy like Trestman or a college OC like the A&M guy (can't remember his name).

Yes I agree this must be pretty close to the Bears thought process. They will build the offense and squeeze out whatever is left from Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers and Tillman. For what its worth I thought the Bears did a more than decent job with the run game given how bad the OL was in recent years.

January 7th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I.E. wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Are you comparing Chicago's Defense with the Lions? Really? :shock: If Chicago had the Lion's offense, they would likely still be playing.

January 8th, 2013, 9:12 am
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I.E. wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Are you comparing Chicago's Defense with the Lions? Really? :shock: If Chicago had the Lion's offense, they would likely still be playing.

No, the point is, regardless of how good your D is, your offense is the more important side of the ball. It's the side of the ball that provides scoring, closes out games, and keeps your defense fresh. The offense, if consistent, can wear down the opposition, keep their D on the field, and let your team play fresh and energized against a "cold" opposing offense.

The D and their ability to effect the game is much more limited. The side with the ball controls the game, period. We've brought our offense 70% of the way there, and the fact that we refuse or are too inept to bring it the rest of the way is almost criminal.

Further, I'll contend that even if we had Chicago's D we STILL wouldn't be a SB team. Our offense goes 3 and out far too often to keep the D fresh and playing well.

January 8th, 2013, 10:11 am
RIP Killer

The defense more than kept us in games we lost due to the poor offense and piss poor STs. I was shocked at how many times in the 4th quarter that the defense kept making huge stops and preventing the TD, only to see us give back the ball to set the ther team up with excellent field position, or give them the ball on a turnover.

Of course, when the offense did put up points and click, the defense couldn't do a damn thing (see Tennessee).

January 8th, 2013, 1:13 pm
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:
The defense more than kept us in games we lost due to the poor offense and piss poor STs. I was shocked at how many times in the 4th quarter that the defense kept making huge stops and preventing the TD, only to see us give back the ball to set the ther team up with excellent field position, or give them the ball on a turnover.

Of course, when the offense did put up points and click, the defense couldn't do a damn thing (see Tennessee).

You mean like the Colt's game? LOL.

January 8th, 2013, 1:16 pm
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

You mean like the Colt's game? LOL.

Last season we would have won more games with a better offense than a better defense, period.

January 10th, 2013, 2:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4