View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 8:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Smartphones 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Smartphones
Don't think we've had one of these topics for awhile.

I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Literally changed my life. The large screen is incredible, and lets me use the phone to actually browse the internet effectively.

January 10th, 2013, 11:40 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: Smartphones
Blueskies wrote:

I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Literally changed my life. The large screen is incredible, and lets me use the phone to actually browse the internet effectively.

Everything I've heard about it is that it's a solid device. But for me, it's too big. I went to a Samsung store (there are tons here in Indonesia) and it's just too big to put in my pocket. That's a deal breaker for me.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 12th, 2013, 10:42 am
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Everything I've heard about it is that it's a solid device. But for me, it's too big. I went to a Samsung store (there are tons here in Indonesia) and it's just too big to put in my pocket. That's a deal breaker for me.

I agree completely. I don't even want the iPhone 5 because it's bigger than my 4s.

January 12th, 2013, 12:08 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Really?

The phone fits perfectly into my pocket and I can easily hold it with one hand. It really isn't possible to text with one hand, but I think most people use 2 anyway. I'm a bigger guy, 6'2, so maybe that makes it easier for me.

But I think the trend is now definitely towards larger phones, I'm guessing 5 inch screens will be the standard soon. The droid dna is 5 inches, Sony's new super phone will be 5 inches and I think Samsung's s4 will be as well.

I would then expect Apple to follow suit so that they don't lose market share (like their move with the iPad mini).

January 12th, 2013, 2:44 pm
QB Coach

Blueskies wrote:
Really?

The phone fits perfectly into my pocket and I can easily hold it with one hand. It really isn't possible to text with one hand, but I think most people use 2 anyway. I'm a bigger guy, 6'2, so maybe that makes it easier for me.

But I think the trend is now definitely towards larger phones, I'm guessing 5 inch screens will be the standard soon. The droid dna is 5 inches, Sony's new super phone will be 5 inches and I think Samsung's s4 will be as well.

I would then expect Apple to follow suit so that they don't lose market share (like their move with the iPad mini).

For me it's not the texting that causes the problem. If I am texting it's generally with two hands. For me it's things that I do with one hand, like web browsing. On a phone that big, the back button is impossible to hit (most browsers have the back button in the top left corner of the screen).

I definitely agree that the trend is toward larger screens. In the past few years I've had the iPhone 3Gs, EVO 4G, iPhone 4S, Galaxy Nexus, and now the iPhone 5. Yes it's excessive but whatever, I'm a phone nut. Anyway, for me, the sweet spot has been around 4-4.5 inches. Bigger than that feels too big. But, smart design of how the phone sits in your hand and things makes a difference, and I'll probably have a bigger phone in my next go-round.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 13th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]