View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 10:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Team MVP

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
And CJ was tackled a ridiculous 8 times on the 1 F'ing yard line

FIRE LINEHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It must be his fault. LOL. Horrible play calling when he calls for CJ to get tackled on the 1 yard line.

I wonder if part of the problem with Linehan this year was he lost a big chunk of the playbook. Mayhew admitted that they all were counting on Best to come back and because of that they didn't find a replacement for Best. I'm sure he made changes through the season once they knew Best was gone for the year, but I'm sure it's not easy to just change your playbook in the middle of a season. Since they are sticking with Linehan I would really like to see them going after either La’Rod Stephens-Howling, Reggie Bush, or even maybe Danny Woodhead to get that speed guy back in the offense.

If Linehan can't deal with losing one player he should be canned, period!

Maybe he gets a pass for the first 4 weeks, after that, it's on him. The worst games of the year were some of the latest games in the year, when he knew Best wasn't coming back.

And, speedy back that can catch? Will someone please explain to me what the hell Joique Bell is? Is he slow? Do people think he can't catch? Why do people still think we "need" this quirky, special player that's going to get 10-15 or so SNAPS per game.

Joique Bell caught 75% of the passes thrown at him (including passes thrown at his feet when the Qb was in trouble), for nearly a 10 yard per average, for nearly 500 yards, but we still need this 180lb magic man with wheels? Why?

If Leveon Bell runs the 40 in anywhere near 4.4-4.45 and we don't take him in or around the 3rd or later I'll be disappointed. Leveon Bell is another speedy guy that's just not tiny (which, oddly enough people on here seem to complain about). He can catch, and he has moves. His agility may not be on par with AP's, but it's close. I'm anxious to see what he runs. I know he rarely gets caught from behind.

Keep dreaming WJB, Bell isnt gonna run a 4.4-4.45 He is fast for his size, but he isnt "fast".

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 11th, 2013, 6:03 am
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

FIRE LINEHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It must be his fault. LOL. Horrible play calling when he calls for CJ to get tackled on the 1 yard line.

A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and can't change the subject...

Come on man. I'm a fanatic because I cracked an obvious joke?

January 11th, 2013, 9:07 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

No, it's because you relate nearly everything to not changing the coaches or the scheme, and you do it without regard for logic, despite massive amounts evidence against your position, and you don't provide anything to backup your position. You just say "remember 0-16" and you act like you're almost happy to accept an 8-8 team, as if mediocrity is something great.

You think that "change" would hurt this team, and you believe (or act like you believe) that any coaching change would be a reversion to the "same old Lions" and our old coaching carousel ways. You act like a new OC, DC, GM or HC would automatically call for a major change in scheme (it doesn't have to have any change in scheme), and an immediate reversion to "rebuilding" and 0-16.

I know you claim you're joking here, but you've been more or less a parrot on the subject. I leave you with this: "a joke is a very serious thing..." - Sir Winston Churchill

January 11th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

No, it's because you relate nearly everything to not changing the coaches or the scheme, and you do it without regard for logic, despite massive amounts evidence against your position, and you don't provide anything to backup your position. You just say "remember 0-16" and you act like you're almost happy to accept an 8-8 team, as if mediocrity is something great.

You think that "change" would hurt this team, and you believe (or act like you believe) that any coaching change would be a reversion to the "same old Lions" and our old coaching carousel ways. You act like a new OC, DC, GM or HC would automatically call for a major change in scheme (it doesn't have to have any change in scheme), and an immediate reversion to "rebuilding" and 0-16.

I know you claim you're joking here, but you've been more or less a parrot on the subject. I leave you with this: "a joke is a very serious thing..." - Sir Winston Churchill

You have your opinion about it. And I have mine. And very rarely does a coaching change not = a restart. The 49ers are the exception to the rule. Not, the norm. You can't sit there and guarantee we won't start over. Where my position is a whole lot closer to what would happen if we did. I am so glad that you are not now, nor will ever be, in charge of running the Lions day to day operations. Because there is precious little that I agree with you about. Occasionally, it happens though. Because I, unlike you, don't just go the opposite way just because you said it.

January 11th, 2013, 10:22 pm
Butkus Award Winner

My $.02 of an approach to this offseason:

QB: No changes

RB: Keep LeShoure and Bell, maybe Kevin Smith, and sign the fastest RB past the 4th round

TE: Pett had a bad year, but I believe he'll be much better, just needs to get his head back on straight and catch the football. Scheff is a good backup

WR: CJ is the best WR right now. #2 looks like it'll be Burleson at this point if he's resigned with Broyles in the slot. I want Mohammed Massoqai from Cleveland. He has a big frame, can beat the press, catch well, and doesn't drop too many passes. Titus would be a good #2 receiver if he would get his head on straight.

Offensive Line: Try to resign Gosder cheap, if not replace him with Fox. Release Backus and Peterman and put Reiff at RT, Fox at LT. Keep Dom Raiola at center, Sims at LG, and start Bill Nagy at RG. Backups are Hilliard, and 2-3 3rd or later round picks

DT: No problems here. Suh & Fairley may be the best DT tandem ever when it's all said and done

DEs: Release Avril if he asks for over $8 million a year, release KVB. Go after Osi Umenyiora, Michael Bennett and Michael Johnson and try to sign one of them to a reasonable contract. Put Lo Jack on the other side with Willie Young/Ronnell Lewis backing them up

LB: Let Durant go, offer Levy a $3 mill a year contract at most, if he declines release him. Lots of LBs on the market that'd do well in Detroit, some being Ray Malaluga, Manny Lawson, and Daryl Smith. Grab one of them and start Whitehead on the other side.

CB: Offer CH a $7 million/year contract at most, let him go if he doesn't want it. He's not a true shutdown corner, is only truly effective on one side, and doesn't play very good in zone coverage. Bentley is a beast and I really liked him when he was on the field (and remember he was playing with a messed up shoulder, looked fantastic in camp reports). Have Jonte Green/Chris Greenwood battle for the #2 corner spot. I REALLY like Derek Cox, maybe Aqib Talib as candidates for the #1 CB spot. THOSE are guys I wouldn't mind spending over $7.5 million a year on. It'd be a blessing to get one of them.

FS: Offer Delmas a good contract, something like 4 years, $20 million, and don't go much higher if he refuses. Go after Jairus Byrd/Dashon Goldson. If we can't get either, give Delmas the franchise tag

SS: Stevie Brown, Kenny Phillips, and Patrick Chung are the best available here. Maybe Delmas plays SS if we get a good FS free agent. If nothing, keep Amari Speivey here, him + Delmas was an OK tandem, he's a good-enough SS.

I want a complete youth movement to happen this offseason. Start the young guys and get good free agents every offseason with the money saved.

January 12th, 2013, 1:34 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Shotty wrote:

RB: Keep LeShoure and Bell, maybe Kevin Smith, and sign the fastest RB past the 4th round

TE: Pett had a bad year, but I believe he'll be much better, just needs to get his head back on straight and catch the football. Scheff is a good backup

WR: CJ is the best WR right now. #2 looks like it'll be Burleson at this point if he's resigned with Broyles in the slot. I want Mohammed Massoqai from Cleveland. He has a big frame, can beat the press, catch well, and doesn't drop too many passes. Titus would be a good #2 receiver if he would get his head on straight.

Offensive Line: Try to resign Gosder cheap, if not replace him with Fox. Release Backus and Peterman and put Reiff at RT, Fox at LT. Keep Dom Raiola at center, Sims at LG, and start Bill Nagy at RG. Backups are Hilliard, and 2-3 3rd or later round picks

DT: No problems here. Suh & Fairley may be the best DT tandem ever when it's all said and done

DEs: Release Avril if he asks for over $8 million a year, release KVB. Go after Osi Umenyiora, Michael Bennett and Michael Johnson and try to sign one of them to a reasonable contract. Put Lo Jack on the other side with Willie Young/Ronnell Lewis backing them up

LB: Let Durant go, offer Levy a $3 mill a year contract at most, if he declines release him. Lots of LBs on the market that'd do well in Detroit, some being Ray Malaluga, Manny Lawson, and Daryl Smith. Grab one of them and start Whitehead on the other side.

CB: Offer CH a $7 million/year contract at most, let him go if he doesn't want it. He's not a true shutdown corner, is only truly effective on one side, and doesn't play very good in zone coverage. Bentley is a beast and I really liked him when he was on the field (and remember he was playing with a messed up shoulder, looked fantastic in camp reports). Have Jonte Green/Chris Greenwood battle for the #2 corner spot. I REALLY like Derek Cox, maybe Aqib Talib as candidates for the #1 CB spot. THOSE are guys I wouldn't mind spending over $7.5 million a year on. It'd be a blessing to get one of them.

FS: Offer Delmas a good contract, something like 4 years, $20 million, and don't go much higher if he refuses. Go after Jairus Byrd/Dashon Goldson. If we can't get either, give Delmas the franchise tag

SS: Stevie Brown, Kenny Phillips, and Patrick Chung are the best available here. Maybe Delmas plays SS if we get a good FS free agent. If nothing, keep Amari Speivey here, him + Delmas was an OK tandem, he's a good-enough SS.

I want a complete youth movement to happen this offseason. Start the young guys and get good free agents every offseason with the money saved.

nice pennies.

QB: agree. Hopefully John Matthew Stafford becomes a better leader and a dominant presents in the lockerroom

HB: Keep Bell & Leshoure but make it an even competition for starter. I'd also sign Rainey even though signing a character concern is a scary thing. But since any great roster move is useless without a good coach I'll play along and imagine that Schwartz is a good coach and will get the most of him. It would'nt even qualify as news is Caughlin, Harbaugh, McCarthy, or Belicheck signed him but it would be a huge risk for us to sign him but he fills 2 huge needs.

O-Line: replace Peterman(with Fox) and Raiola(Chance Warmack or Barrett Jones would help out). Re-sign Gosder

WR: I can honestly see Durham becoming our #2 if Titus doesn't return. Nate will be a part of the plan but Broyles or Titus will be ahead of him. Thomas and Robiske should be better after learning the plays. I'm just not ready to draft another WR. The X-factor here is obviously Titus Young.

TE: agree

LB: very tricky, I think they both kind of suck so I'd go after Rey Mauluga(Since we should've taken him over Pett). Either way, we will really need an unknown to step up ala Whitehead, Lewis, or a preseason find

DE: KVB was a HUGE hinderance to our defense this season. I think we will end up with Werner or Moore in the draft to replace him. Let Avril walk and save some $. Draft another pass rusher in the draft. Start Lo Jack/Young opposite Werner/Moore

CB: Also tricky. try to sign Houston for a reasonable amount nowhere near shutdown CB money. I like Talib too. try to include Lacy and future picks in a draft day trade for Xavior Rhodes. Bentley is good and Green improved and has potential. Really hope Greenwood pans out

FS: resign Delmas. If he can fully heal He is THE MAN on D. Silva and Carey can back him up.

SS: DRAFT BACARRI RAMBO IN THE 2ND ROUND EVEN IF IT MEANS TRADING UP. Keep Amari and try to sign Stevie Brown.

I see our FO being very aggresive with future draft picks because they may not even be around for that future so there is no excuse for a weak draft this year.

Shotty, do you really think SF would let Goldson walk?

January 13th, 2013, 2:48 am
Team MVP

Shotty, you really would want Fox at left tackle?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 13th, 2013, 8:47 am
Butkus Award Winner

Killwill25 wrote:
Shotty wrote:

nice pennies.

QB: agree. Hopefully John Matthew Stafford becomes a better leader and a dominant presents in the lockerroom

HB: Keep Bell & Leshoure but make it an even competition for starter. I'd also sign Rainey even though signing a character concern is a scary thing. But since any great roster move is useless without a good coach I'll play along and imagine that Schwartz is a good coach and will get the most of him. It would'nt even qualify as news is Caughlin, Harbaugh, McCarthy, or Belicheck signed him but it would be a huge risk for us to sign him but he fills 2 huge needs.

O-Line: replace Peterman(with Fox) and Raiola(Chance Warmack or Barrett Jones would help out). Re-sign Gosder

WR: I can honestly see Durham becoming our #2 if Titus doesn't return. Nate will be a part of the plan but Broyles or Titus will be ahead of him. Thomas and Robiske should be better after learning the plays. I'm just not ready to draft another WR. The X-factor here is obviously Titus Young.

TE: agree

LB: very tricky, I think they both kind of suck so I'd go after Rey Mauluga(Since we should've taken him over Pett). Either way, we will really need an unknown to step up ala Whitehead, Lewis, or a preseason find

DE: KVB was a HUGE hinderance to our defense this season. I think we will end up with Werner or Moore in the draft to replace him. Let Avril walk and save some $. Draft another pass rusher in the draft. Start Lo Jack/Young opposite Werner/Moore

CB: Also tricky. try to sign Houston for a reasonable amount nowhere near shutdown CB money. I like Talib too. try to include Lacy and future picks in a draft day trade for Xavior Rhodes. Bentley is good and Green improved and has potential. Really hope Greenwood pans out

FS: resign Delmas. If he can fully heal He is THE MAN on D. Silva and Carey can back him up.

SS: DRAFT BACARRI RAMBO IN THE 2ND ROUND EVEN IF IT MEANS TRADING UP. Keep Amari and try to sign Stevie Brown.

I see our FO being very aggresive with future draft picks because they may not even be around for that future so there is no excuse for a weak draft this year.

Shotty, do you really think SF would let Goldson walk?

I don't think they will, but they are going to be tight on cap space in these coming years and I think they have enough CB depth to put Carlos Rogers back there at free safety and have Culliver start. If he's asking for an enormous contract, you need to look at alternatives, and I honestly think that alternative would save $$$ and once Rogers eases into the new position he'd be a very solid FS.

January 13th, 2013, 8:57 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Shotty wrote:

My take:

QB: No changes, Stafford is the franchise, and given the necessary protection will thrive.

RB: LeShoure will improve and be our best back, this was his rookie year and with better blocking he'll become the RB we hoped he was. Bell seems to be a solid back-up, dump Smith and draft a mid to late round back with speed. My choice would be Kerwynn Williams - Utah State, 5th round.

TE: Pettigrew continues to be a mystery, I cringe every time they throw to him, expecting a drop. He was not worth the 20th pick in the 1st round. Scheff is a good 2nd. I wouldn't mind spending a 3rd to 5th round pick on one, but think we have too many, more pressing needs. Probably go into next season status quo.

WR: CJ is the best. Burleson and Broyles will both get plenty of reps, but we need a reciever with long speed. Mohammed Massoqai from Cleveland could be a possibility, his familiarity with Stafford could help. Titus is a head case! Every time I watch the Ravens I think about what should have been (Torrey Smith).

Offensive Line: Let Gosder go, replace him with Fox or Reiff. Keep Backus and if he can't do the job, put Reiff or Fox at LT. Raiola and Peterman need to be replaced, Sims at LG, hope Nagy pans out at center, and pursue FA Levitre from Buffalo. With Mayhews comments about being weak up the middle, expect him to make some sort of acquisition, either threw the draft or FA.

DT: No problems here. Suh & Fairley may be the best DT tandem ever when it's all said and done. Amen to that!

DEs: Let Avril walk and draft at least one if not two DE's, relegate KVB to a back-up role. Lo Jack is resigned, Young on the other side, with a couple of rookies in the mix. Ronnell Lewis is a mystery at this point, possibly another Mayhew draft blunder (4th round) we can't afford these types of mistakes.

LB: Let Durant or Levy walk. Only resign one of them. Play the Kids you drafted last year and draft another to throw in the mix. Spent this years 4th to grab Whitehead last year, he needs to play. Overall not that impressed with our LB's.

CB: With Bentley, Green and Greenwood we have some potential, but would like to see a high draft pick spent on another corner (1st or 2nd round). Keeping Houston if it's feasible.

S: Resign Delmas, dump Speivey (another draft mistake). Draft two, one early 2nd to 3rd.

I too want a complete youth movement. Start the young guys, don't waste time and money on free agents. Build the right way, thru the draft.

January 13th, 2013, 12:15 pm
League MVP

Shotty wrote:

Quote:

I suggest they move on from Kellen Moore as the No 3. A guy I liked in the preseason, Thaddeus Lewis started in week 17 and looked good. With the coaching change in Cleveland, he probably gets lost in the shuffle and released. At the minimum, having a guy with some projectable skills like Lewis gives the franchise a chance in the next year or two to move Shaun Hill for a late draft pick and getting some cap space. Even if Lewis doesnt become available, if the Lions are going to bother with putting a No 3 QB on the roster it might as well be someone who has a chance to have a future in the future ie find someone better than Moore or open up the roster spot and keep a practive squad QB instead.

Quote:

Probably none of the guys on the roster have much trade value. I d trade LeShoure for a late round pick if I could but lets assume they cant. Kevin Smith is a decent player who should have had more carries this season if for no other reason than to offer a changeup from Bell/Leshoure being similar runners. Still, I doubt Smith is back. You look around the league and you see Green Bay running Dejuan Harris and he looks to me like a better player than LeShoure, not hesitant, runs it hard, decisive and quicker with his moves. The Patriots found undrafted Brandon Bolden, similar story. Well that guy was selling used cars this fall before Green Bay got him. The Lions need better backs, I dont really care how they get them. Im not sure that just drafting someone bc he is fast is the right answer - ie the Lions had a fast back named Aaron Brown that didnt do much for us. A change of pace would be good but a good quality runner with some ability in the pass game and ability to occassionally get big plays on the ground regardless of his straight line speed would be nice. I like Reggie Bush in free agency but we re probably not spending, Im not a huge fan of Felix Jones but he has some skills and would be a riskier but cheaper option. Justin Forsett could fit the Darren Sproles type role to a certain extent but isnt an every down player. Eddie Lacy's draft stock is probably too high. All of these things are excuses, I expect the Lions do too little at this position and run blindly, foolishly, and ineffective again next year as they did this year.

Quote:

I doubt that many players break out at age 28 especially when there problems appear to be mostly mental without a change in scenery or at least in coaching. Scheff is not a good backup bc he s not a TE, he s a slot WR. He s made more circus catches but he drops his fair share of the slightly difficult passes. I agree with you, they ll be back but again they will be the cause of dismay in 2013 again. Dustin Keller, Martellus Bennet, Brandon Meyers, Delanie Walker maybe even Jared Cook - these are better options that the Lions probably wont ever even look at.

Quote:
WR: CJ is the best WR right now. #2 looks like it'll be Burleson at this point if he's resigned with Broyles in the slot. I want Mohammed Massoqai from Cleveland. He has a big frame, can beat the press, catch well, and doesn't drop too many passes. Titus would be a good #2 receiver if he would get his head on straight

I like Burleson, I really do. His injury showed he is a more reliable player than Titus Young and others on our roster. However, when Burleson was healthy he really wasnt enought of what this team needed. Maybe they have to take on some injury risk and bring in Danario Alexander who finished out the year nicely in San Diego but there is a huge regime change over there. Maybe they go for Brandon Gibson who was effective but not quite the No 1 that St Louis was looking for. I think these are quality players that will be fairly cheap. Donnie Avery in IND, maybe too similar to TY Hilton to stay in IND, Id consider him. Brian Hartline, Julian Edelman Id maybe consider them to have a role some bigger than others. Massaqoi isnt a consistent player, Cleveland gave him every opportunity and he disappointed in a multitude of roles.

Quote:

I think the Lions can save some money AND get better on the OL. The problem is they probably need a 1-2 year plan to do it. They probably wont be better in week 1 because they failed to develop any of the younger players this season. Cherilus is a good blocker but he makes too many crucial mental blunders to believe he is more than a patched up part of the puzzle. Corey Hilliard is a reasonable swing tackle. I maybe let Cherilus walk because he s going to be more expensive than the 2nd year on Backus contract. Reiff and Backus battle for the LT and the loser plays RT. If the RT is Backus, Fox gets a shot to beat him out and Hilliard is your backup option. He s reliable but not a plus player. Alternatively, they could cut Backus and let Cherilus walk. Pencil in Reiff at RT and sign a real LT - Ryan Clady, Jake Long, Brandon Albert - it might not cost that much more than bring back both Backus and Cherilus. They need to move on from Peterman at RG and with no quality interior players. Nagy is more of a shot in the dark than Fox and cant just be pencilled in. He s had injuries and didnt consistently play or stay healthy in college. Matt Slauson of the Jets would be a cheaper option than Peterman and is servicable and younger. Nagy could be in place to replace Raiola or if someone falters should Nagy stay healthy.

Quote:

No problems here on paper but neither player with discipline. They like to penetrate which is helpful and disruptive but Suh never see s screens, draws, or pulling lineman. Fairley at least seems to be developing in those areas, we ll see if Fairley can start the season in shape rather than rounding into shape midseason. Corey WIlliams and SLH are free agents so there are decisions to be made. I dont have a problem with Andre Fluellen being the 4th guy there. Someone may try to swipe away SLH but he s a good backup who is better used situationally than for extended stretches. Still he s probably worth keeping.

Quote:

Michael Johnson and Avril are probably going to get similar contracts. Avril however by far is more productive. Michael Bennet probably is substantially cheaper but you have the risk of a guy with 1 productive season vs someone with 3 at the same age. Avril seems to have better 1st step and closing speed. Still Bennet's not a bad idea if salary cap comes into play. Osi Umenyiora played for $6 mill last year and could be another alternative though he might not have that much time left either. KVBs time is up but if LoJack were the answer I think he would have been starting this season. Willie Young to me really hasnt done much but look the part in short spurts in preseason. If someone wants him for a late round pick, Im willing to deal him and see what Ronnel Lewis does with the reps. I think the Lions 1st round pick will be spent on the starter that will ultimately replace KVB. I d take Jarvis Jones if he was there and use him at OLB but the Lions might be picking bw DEs Moore, Werner, and Mingo. If the only option is Mingo I d try to trade back or take Dee Milliner instead.

Quote:

Id prefer Durant over Levy but probably wouldnt re-sign either for more than a year. I wouldnt spend $3 million on Levy if I could use that money to keep either Avril or Houston instead and replace Levy with Ashlee Palmer or Whitehead instead. Their might be a dropoff but seems to be a better option than not having ends or corners. I actually like this guy Brad Jones from the Packers if they could find a spot for him in the Lions system and Im not sure he ll cost much if at all.

Quote:

I agree with you on some of these price points but there arent a lot of options for the Lions if they lose those guys other than having a 2-3 year plan or prioritizing the offense only and just patching and coaching up the defense. This whole crew will get fired if they win 6 or less games again and wont be comfortable unless they make the playoffs. Im not sure that anyone agrees that Bentley was a beast, he certainly wasnt better than Houston and in an ideal world you wouldnt want him to be slotted in as more than a slot/3rd CB though I agree he could and should develop into a starter. Jonte wasnt very good, have to hope he improves and is ready next time he gets a chance - he didnt do anything deserving of promotions yet. We ll see about Greenwood, Cunningham said he s a physical specimen and smart which would seem to contradict the decision to put him on IR rather than activate him when he was healthy and ready to come off the PUP list. Cary Williams, Mike Jenkins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Cason all decent options for the Lions to add depending on the price point.

Quote:

wow, 4 years for Delmas? I dont think so. I like him but he s looking at a 1 year deal. Lions need some answers here at a position where they have no real starters. Don Carey is coming to camp, they re keeping Wendling to play ST and thats all we really know. Is a mystery, if I was Dashon Goldson I would really have to be overpaid to come to the Lions so dont count on that to happen. I really dont see an easy solution for the Lions to solve this problem outside of hoping Delmas and Spievey are both healthy and drafting someone capable of starting.

Quote:

Brown is a RFA so dont count on that. The Lions dont really designate Strong vs Free. The key is the Lions need to find the next Stevie Brown, talented guy that didnt get a lot of chances cut by multiple teams, etc.

Quote:

Again, Schwartz and Mayhew are in this together. They dont have the luxury of a brand new rebuild. The job was to patch with some free agents while developing young players to replace them. Unfortunately, some of the free agents are already falling off KVB, Corey Williams, Burleson, etc before the young players have really shown anything or in some cases at the same time as the young players have failed ie Titus Young. They get another season to patch some things together with FA and maybe fill a couple other holes in the draft but I dont think they view it as a complete youth movement with a couple years alotted to getting it to mesh together. The staff needs the lions to win next year and thats how they ll approach the offseason even if it means a bigger setback for the Lions franchise if they fail.

January 13th, 2013, 3:07 pm
League MVP

TEN special teams coach was fired? Should the Lions bring him on? Was on staff with Schwartz, was also part of team with 2 returns for TD vs Lions this year. Same coach as they had when they had the music city miracle play.

January 13th, 2013, 3:17 pm

The Legend wrote:
TEN special teams coach was fired? Should the Lions bring him on? Was on staff with Schwartz, was also part of team with 2 returns for TD vs Lions this year. Same coach as they had when they had the music city miracle play.

I said it last year: bring in the Dave Toub from the Bears and throw a bunch of dough at him. They're letting him interview with other teams for a coordinator position.

I went back and looked and we didn't fire Stan Kwan until January 8th, so there's still hope that Crossman will go. [-o< It really boggles the mind that they've become so bad on ST when Schwartz came in preaching the importance of them.

January 13th, 2013, 11:14 pm

Interesting...

Quote:
http://blog.mlive.com/lions_impact/print.html?entry=/2013/01/report_detroit_lions_denied_in.html

Report: Cleveland Browns deny Detroit Lions' request to interview special teams coordinator Chris Tabor
By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on January 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Print
View/Post Comments

The Lions' request to interview Cleveland Browns special teams coach Chris Tabor was declined.
AP File Photo
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Detroit Lions were one of six teams that requested to interview Cleveland Browns special teams coordinator Chris Tabor. Those requests were denied.
Tabor was hired by the Browns in 2011 after three seasons as an assistant special teams coach with the Chicago Bears.
Cleveland fired head coach Pat Shurmer at the end of the season and replaced him with Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski.
Chudzinski is expected to hire his own offensive and defensive coordinators, but the decision to decline interview requests for Tabor suggests the team intends to keep him on staff.
In 2012, the Browns finished first in field-goal percentage, third in punt return average, eighth in kickoff return average, and second in kickoff coverage.
In Chicago, Tabor worked with several top special teams groups, particularly the team's return men.
In 2008, Danieal Manning led the NFL in kickoff return average. Johnny Knox took over the role for the Bears in 2009 and finished second in the league, earning Pro Bowl honors. Finally, Devin Hester made the Pro Bowl in 2010 after scoring three touchdowns on punt returns and leading the NFL with a 17.1-yard average.
Tabor has also worked as a running backs coach at the collegiate level. Prior to joining the Bears, he coached both special teams and running backs at Western Michigan University.
It remains unclear if the Lions were seeking to bring Tabor in to assist with special teams or replace the team's current coordinator, Danny Crossman.
Crossman came under fire last season after the Lions allowed a punt return and kick return touchdown in back-to-back games. In 2012, Detroit finished 22nd in punt return average, 31st in kickoff return average, and last in net average on punts.
View/Post Comments
© MLive.com. All rights reserved.

January 14th, 2013, 2:02 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Crossman out, and we hired the Jacksonville TE coach. Our current TE coach is moving to RB coach. The Jacksonville coach only did TE's one year in Jacksonville, he was OL coach for Buffalo before that.

January 14th, 2013, 11:43 am
njroar wrote:
Crossman out, and we hired the Jacksonville TE coach. Our current TE coach is moving to RB coach. The Jacksonville coach only did TE's one year in Jacksonville, he was OL coach for Buffalo before that.

Crossman deserved to be fired. I gave him some slack for our lack of depth (and ergo, our lack of quality special team players), but listening to the guy talk was enough for me. I don't know how he got his job in the first place. He couldn't explain what he does to the reporters, he couldn't explain how to fix it to the reporters, and he couldn't explain the problem with his scheme/results to the reporters. If he can't explain it to them, he most likely couldn't communicate the same to his players. He was very uninspiring, a horrible communicator, and I'm wondering how the hell he got hired on in the first place...

January 14th, 2013, 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next