View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 24th, 2014, 12:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Post Re: Off-Season Moves
BillySims wrote:
You have your opinion about it. And I have mine. And very rarely does a coaching change not = a restart. The 49ers are the exception to the rule. Not, the norm. You can't sit there and guarantee we won't start over. Where my position is a whole lot closer to what would happen if we did. I am so glad that you are not now, nor will ever be, in charge of running the Lions day to day operations. Because there is precious little that I agree with you about. Occasionally, it happens though. Because I, unlike you, don't just go the opposite way just because you said it.

Whether or not a coaching change equals a "rebuild" or change in philosophy depends upon who is doing the hiring. Everyone that's doing the hiring knows the coaching styles and philosophies of the coaches they interview and ultimately hire, and where there are rebuilds and changes in philosophy, they're wanted. We could just as easily hire someone that fits into our current mold, or perhaps even better mold than what we're dealing with now.

FWIW, I really don't care what your opinion is of me, or my philosophies of running the Lions. I realize that the odds of that are virtually non-existant, and honestly, I would HOPE that they would hire someone that could run the team better than me. They haven't in the last decade, but my wish isn't to run the team, my wish is to be wrong more often than the current GM (which, again, hasn't happened in the last decade), to have the REAL GM make decisions that I WOULDN'T make, but have them work out in FAVOR of the team. That's what it's all about... That's what a real professional should be able to do. A true professional should be able to beat an arm-chair fan at least on 80% of the day to day decisions that have to do with running the team. The guy that's there right now can't do it, the coach that we have now can't do it. They're incompetent, period, and they should be fired.

And if you think that I say anything just because it's the "opposite" of what you've said, you're fooling yourself. I generally state my opinion on a subject before others, and I'm probably the most independent thinker on this board.

January 14th, 2013, 1:43 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
You have your opinion about it. And I have mine. And very rarely does a coaching change not = a restart. The 49ers are the exception to the rule. Not, the norm. You can't sit there and guarantee we won't start over. Where my position is a whole lot closer to what would happen if we did. I am so glad that you are not now, nor will ever be, in charge of running the Lions day to day operations. Because there is precious little that I agree with you about. Occasionally, it happens though. Because I, unlike you, don't just go the opposite way just because you said it.

Whether or not a coaching change equals a "rebuild" or change in philosophy depends upon who is doing the hiring. Everyone that's doing the hiring knows the coaching styles and philosophies of the coaches they interview and ultimately hire, and where there are rebuilds and changes in philosophy, they're wanted. We could just as easily hire someone that fits into our current mold, or perhaps even better mold than what we're dealing with now.

FWIW, I really don't care what your opinion is of me, or my philosophies of running the Lions. I realize that the odds of that are virtually non-existant, and honestly, I would HOPE that they would hire someone that could run the team better than me. They haven't in the last decade, but my wish isn't to run the team, my wish is to be wrong more often than the current GM (which, again, hasn't happened in the last decade), to have the REAL GM make decisions that I WOULDN'T make, but have them work out in FAVOR of the team. That's what it's all about... That's what a real professional should be able to do. A true professional should be able to beat an arm-chair fan at least on 80% of the day to day decisions that have to do with running the team. The guy that's there right now can't do it, the coach that we have now can't do it. They're incompetent, period, and they should be fired.

And if you think that I say anything just because it's the "opposite" of what you've said, you're fooling yourself. I generally state my opinion on a subject before others, and I'm probably the most independent thinker on this board.
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back there, wjb

January 14th, 2013, 3:02 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back there, wjb

I don't think it's any compliment to me or anyone else to say that they're would-be moves would have outperformed those of the current staff. Mayhew has been only slightly better than Millen, who could have been bettered by a monkey.

January 14th, 2013, 3:26 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Lions hired the Bills RB coach today. The TE coach moves to WR and the TE's will be coached by the other hire from Jacksonville today. They promoted the assistant OL coach the coach. Just need to replace ST coach and coaching positions should be set for now.

January 14th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

He was actually more than just their RB coach he was the OC and the guy I was in favor of replacing Linehan if they went that route. With Modkins they are getting a coach that got quite a bit out of less than stellar talent and helped develop an unknown in Jackson and an underperformer in Spiller and turn them into one of the best duos in the NFL. Bobby Johnson was hired as the TE coach but I won't be surprised ifnhe has input with the O-line. He was an assistsnt O-line coach in Buffalo for two years, where they got a lot of production out of a bunch of "who?" guys. Those two additions could help land Levitre if the Bills don't retain his services. I also think the addition of Modkins puts Linehan on a short leash.

January 14th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Team MVP

sweetd20 wrote:
He was actually more than just their RB coach he was the OC and the guy I was in favor of replacing Linehan if they went that route. With Modkins they are getting a coach that got quite a bit out of less than stellar talent and helped develop an unknown in Jackson and an underperformer in Spiller and turn them into one of the best duos in the NFL. Bobby Johnson was hired as the TE coach but I won't be surprised ifnhe has input with the O-line. He was an assistsnt O-line coach in Buffalo for two years, where they got a lot of production out of a bunch of "who?" guys. Those two additions could help land Levitre if the Bills don't retain his services. I also think the addition of Modkins puts Linehan on a short leash.

I like the sounds of that Sweetd.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 14th, 2013, 5:36 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
Lions hired the Bills RB coach today. The TE coach moves to WR and the TE's will be coached by the other hire from Jacksonville today. They promoted the assistant OL coach the coach. Just need to replace ST coach and coaching positions should be set for now.

I like the hiring of the RB coach, I thought Modkins did a good job with CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson with the Bills and you know the Lions really want that duel-RB running game. I don't know anything about the Jacksonville coach.

As for the two internal promotions/moves, I'm not sold. The TE coach here now gets WRs? One could easily argue both Pett and Scheff took steps backwards this year. I also think I've heard he is a bit of a hot head, not sure how that blends with the quiet natured CJ. Guess we will find out.

Also, to promote a guy to be the OL coach is scary IMO. I don't know who this is, but if he is a first time position coach in the NFL in charge of our OL who needs to keep our franchise QB upright - well I'd rather have some experience leading that critical group.

Just my 2 cents.

January 14th, 2013, 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I haven't been anywhere else on the site yet. So, if this was posted elsewhere, forgive me.

Quote:
ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- The Detroit Lions have parted ways with special teams coordinator Danny Crossman.

The team announced Monday that Crossman would not return next season. Crossman's coaching was scrutinized after Detroit became the first team since at least 1940 to give up a kickoff and a punt return for touchdowns in consecutive games last season.

The Lions hired running backs coach Curtis Modkins and tight ends coach Bobby Johnson. They announced Tim Lappano will move from coaching tight ends to receivers and Jeremiah Washburn was promoted to offensive line coach.

Detroit didn't retain receivers coach Shawn Jefferson, running backs coach Sam Gash or offensive line coach George Yarno when their contracts expired following the Lions' 4-12 season.

January 14th, 2013, 6:29 pm
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
I haven't been anywhere else on the site yet. So, if this was posted elsewhere, forgive me.

Quote:
ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- The Detroit Lions have parted ways with special teams coordinator Danny Crossman.

The team announced Monday that Crossman would not return next season. Crossman's coaching was scrutinized after Detroit became the first team since at least 1940 to give up a kickoff and a punt return for touchdowns in consecutive games last season.

The Lions hired running backs coach Curtis Modkins and tight ends coach Bobby Johnson. They announced Tim Lappano will move from coaching tight ends to receivers and Jeremiah Washburn was promoted to offensive line coach.

Detroit didn't retain receivers coach Shawn Jefferson, running backs coach Sam Gash or offensive line coach George Yarno when their contracts expired following the Lions' 4-12 season.

I wonder if the above has anything to do with:

Quote:
Reports: Titans fire Alan Lowry
Updated: January 12, 2013, 11:22 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Titans coach Mike Munchak is parting ways with special teams coach Alan Lowry, the designer of the Music City Miracle play that spurred Tennessee's lone Super Bowl run in 2000, according to multiple reports.

Munchak has told Lowry his contract would not be renewed, according to reports.

Lowry just finished his 17th season with the franchise, the last 14 coaching special teams. He designed Home Run Throwback that the Titans used to beat Buffalo in an AFC wild-card game in January 2000.

Lowry had been with the franchise as a coach almost as long as Munchak, who started his coaching career with the team in 1994. Lowry joined the then-Houston Oilers in 1996 as a defensive assistant for quality control after also coaching at the 49ers, Tampa Bay and Dallas. Lowry took over special teams in 1999, the team's first season as the Titans when they went 13-3 and needed that lateral from Frank Wycheck to Kevin Dyson for the winning touchdown against Buffalo.

He helped coach Derrick Mason and Marc Mariani to the Pro Bowl as returners, the last in 2010 in Mariani's rookie season. In 2012, the Titans returned a kickoff and three punts for touchdowns in 2012, including one punt return featuring another lateral. The Titans also ranked seventh in the NFL averaging 40.4 yards net on punts and 15th averaging 23.6 yards on kickoff returns.

But Tennessee also had two punts blocked.

Munchak has been very busy since the Titans concluded a 6-10 season in his second year as head coach after owner Bud Adams decided to keep him on the job for 2013.

Lowry becomes the fourth assistant coach either to have his contract not renewed or fired since the season ended, not counting offensive coordinator Chris Palmer, who was fired Nov. 26. Munchak fired linebackers coach Frank Bush and tight ends coach John Zernheldt, who had a year left on his contract, while not retaining running backs coach Jim Skipper.

Munchak also has to decide whether to keep Dowell Loggains as his offensive coordinator or move him back to the quarterbacks assistant coaching job that has been open since he fired Palmer. Also, defensive coordinator Jerry Gray's status remains a big question after the Titans set a franchise record by allowing 471 points in 2012.

January 14th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Pablo wrote:
njroar wrote:

I like the hiring of the RB coach, I thought Modkins did a good job with CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson with the Bills and you know the Lions really want that duel-RB running game. I don't know anything about the Jacksonville coach.

As for the two internal promotions/moves, I'm not sold. The TE coach here now gets WRs? One could easily argue both Pett and Scheff took steps backwards this year. I also think I've heard he is a bit of a hot head, not sure how that blends with the quiet natured CJ. Guess we will find out.

Also, to promote a guy to be the OL coach is scary IMO. I don't know who this is, but if he is a first time position coach in the NFL in charge of our OL who needs to keep our franchise QB upright - well I'd rather have some experience leading that critical group.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah Modkins did a great job with their RBs and was the offensive coordinator although Gailey did all the playcalling. Wouldn't be surprised if he helps Linehan with the gameplan and Linehan still calls the play.

Pett and Sheff only took steps back because of injuries. They've always run the right routes (except the one Pett ran in the preseason) and were solid. I'm willing to see how the WR's respond. They can't get much worse beyond CJ. There was very little improvement year to year in the receiver ranks under Jefferson. CJ didn't much help to be what he is.

Washburn I see as a continuity move. He's been the assistant for the OL since 09, and his father is a long-time Philly and Tennessee Dline coach, so he's been around it all his life. They've done a decent job of keeping Stafford upright, we just need new personnel on the interior line to help the running game. I think Modkins and Johnson (the Jacksonville hire) were both OL coaches, so I think they'll all input by committee there. Johnson was TE coach in Jacksonville for one season, but was Oline coach in Buffalo prior to that.

January 14th, 2013, 7:59 pm
Team MVP

Anyone know when Free Agency starts? Cant seem to find it anywhere.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

January 15th, 2013, 5:35 pm

March 4th is deadline for franchise tags, March 12th is official start of new season, so that's the day it all begins.

January 15th, 2013, 5:44 pm
Team MVP

njroar wrote:
March 4th is deadline for franchise tags, March 12th is official start of new season, so that's the day it all begins.

Thanks.

January 15th, 2013, 5:55 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

njroar wrote:

So are we not able to sign our own guys yet? Is that why nothing has happened thus far?

January 15th, 2013, 8:21 pm

regularjoe12 wrote:
njroar wrote:

So are we not able to sign our own guys yet? Is that why nothing has happened thus far?

Correct. We could tender RFA's but there's no rush to do so. The rest are unrestricted and nothing can be done until the 12th. We can renegotiate with those under contract (Stafford and Suh) but nothing would be leaked about that until a deal was done. Hopefully they will so we can free up cap room before the 3/12.

January 15th, 2013, 9:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 44  Next