View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 11:35 am



Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl 
Author Message
Post Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
Quote:
Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on January 15, 2013 – 3:21 pm

Wide receiver Calvin Johnson has opted not to play in the 2013 Pro Bowl due to injury.

Johnson, who broke Jerry Rice’s single-season receiving yards record (1,964 yards), dealt with knee and finger injuries over the course of the 2012 season.

Said Johnson on being elected to the Pro Bowl for the third-straight year, “These guys – the guys you go up against every day, it’s means a lot when they vote for you because you have to see them on the field for 60 minutes and they know what you’re about because they see it on film. They watch film just as much as you do, so to be elected by your peers, it’s respect.”

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have reported that wide receiver Vincent Jackson will take Johnson’s place.



Personally, I'd rather he played. He's had multiple weeks to "rest his knee" I'd like to see him "get in game shape" again on more time in January to shorten the offseason, work with yet another WR coach and learn let another OCs version. It's all knowledge and he's not old enough to have "learned it all." IMO his game could benefit by playing.


January 15th, 2013, 3:44 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
What? It's not like the senior bowl where they're actually coaching anything. It's sandlot football during these games. It's not worth the risk to further or new injury. These games are pointless.


January 15th, 2013, 3:52 pm
Profile
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
njroar wrote:
What? It's not like the senior bowl where they're actually coaching anything. It's sandlot football during these games. It's not worth the risk to further or new injury. These games are pointless.


They're still out there running routes in the heat, they practice, and they're still out there running plays. I'm not saying they don't dog it, but IMO the "risk" of injury is near nill based on your argument.

What pisses me off is our lack of professional accountability, showman's ship, and work ethic. Anything outside of the bare minimum that they're required, players on this team don't take part it. I started off on Matt Stafford early because I personally don't think he prepares as much as he should or works out as hard as he should. You hear reports here and there about "dedication" and someone being in the lockerroom at 5am, but it definitely doesn't look like it.


January 15th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2311
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
Still doggin' it, am I right WJB?

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


January 15th, 2013, 4:48 pm
Profile
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Still doggin' it, am I right WJB?


1/2 the team... IMO this is just more of the same. Why get ready for another week of football when you can loaf around and do nothing... He's not getting paid, right? That's the only thing that seems to drive him. Individual achievements and money... awesome...


January 15th, 2013, 5:01 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
They're paid for the Pro Bowl, but don't get paid if they drop out without a legitimate injury. There goes only doing it for the money argument. And if the injury concern were nil, they wouldn't excuse players who play in the Super Bowl the following week, because that extra week of playing in a game situation would be good for them....

Drew Brees dislocated his Elbow in 2007. Because of that risk, players don't go all out which actually increases the chances of injuries. The game is a joke and it's just a matter of time before it's removed. They're already talking about replacing it with the Senior bowl held that week instead.


January 15th, 2013, 5:16 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
Why play in that stupid game anyway and risk injury? That game isnt worthy anything these days anyway.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


January 15th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Profile
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
njroar wrote:
They're paid for the Pro Bowl, but don't get paid if they drop out without a legitimate injury. There goes only doing it for the money argument. And if the injury concern were nil, they wouldn't excuse players who play in the Super Bowl the following week, because that extra week of playing in a game situation would be good for them....

Drew Brees dislocated his Elbow in 2007. Because of that risk, players don't go all out which actually increases the chances of injuries. The game is a joke and it's just a matter of time before it's removed. They're already talking about replacing it with the Senior bowl held that week instead.


Who says they excuse people for the SB because of injury? Everything I've read says it's so they can be with THEIR TEAM to prepare for the real game.

Drew Brees is a Qb, that's completely different. There's always a "risk of injury" but there's a "risk of injury" driving down the highway. I guaranty you his pay for the Pro Bowl isn't what his game check is... And I guaranty you he'd be playing if it were...


January 15th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
Guarantee?

CJ's been banged up all season. Aaron Rodgers wasn't on a single injury report all season, but he's pulled out due to injuries. He must be dogging it.

The Pro Bowl is a useless game and there's no reason to risk further injury for it.

You're never satisfied by the work our players do put in. Nothing is good enough and it never will be. You always pick everyone to fail and then hope you're right. And the few times you are, you gloat endlessly. And when you're not, you make excuses that what they did accomplish isn't good enough to try to make it seem like you were right. You're not the independent thinker you believe you are, you're a debbie downer that attacks other users anytime they call you on it. Everybody has a reason to be upset by how this team performed this year. But I've had enough of your "greater than though" attitude that you throw at everyone you disagree with. It's childish behavior from an arrogant rectum, nothing more. If the forum had an ignore feature, i'm sure there'd be no one listening to you constant whining.


January 15th, 2013, 5:41 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
Can someone show me evidence of CJ only being interested in money and personal accolades? I must have missed his long hold out, demands for a huge contract and all the interviews he does about getting his touches.


January 15th, 2013, 6:01 pm
Profile
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
njroar wrote:
Guarantee?

CJ's been banged up all season. Aaron Rodgers wasn't on a single injury report all season, but he's pulled out due to injuries. He must be dogging it.

The Pro Bowl is a useless game and there's no reason to risk further injury for it.

You're never satisfied by the work our players do put in. Nothing is good enough and it never will be. You always pick everyone to fail and then hope you're right. And the few times you are, you gloat endlessly. And when you're not, you make excuses that what they did accomplish isn't good enough to try to make it seem like you were right. You're not the independent thinker you believe you are, you're a debbie downer that attacks other users anytime they call you on it. Everybody has a reason to be upset by how this team performed this year. But I've had enough of your "greater than though" attitude that you throw at everyone you disagree with. It's childish behavior from an arrogant rectum, nothing more. If the forum had an ignore feature, i'm sure there'd be no one listening to you constant whining.


You're completely wrong. I'm ECSTATIC when I predict someone is going to fail and they succeed. It rarely happens on this POS team, but I thoroughly enjoy it when it does happen.

You can call out what you see how you see it. I'm far from a debbie downer, there just isn't much to say about this team that is good! Cry about it if you want to, I'll stick to calling out management, coaches and players as I see fit, and I never act like I'm better than anyone on this site, period.

Sorry Pal, but if this forum had an ignore feature hardly anyone would have me on it. Ask Wags to add it, he can. There are quite a few people that I would ignore, and no, you're not one of them. I can take a rant against me, and don't mind, and I don't have a vendetta against anyone that disagrees with me, unlike some others on here.


January 15th, 2013, 6:07 pm
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
rao wrote:
Can someone show me evidence of CJ only being interested in money and personal accolades? I must have missed his long hold out, demands for a huge contract and all the interviews he does about getting his touches.


It goes back to his contract negotiations, and his mother's involvement in his deal. It continued with him refusing to go over the middle for a season or two (which has scaled back), and him sitting out and constantly crying that he's "banged up" despite the team saying he's not. Further, CJ has NEVER displayed the passion that other players have (Brandon Marshall was nearly in tears over the Bear's 8 game skid). CJ just collects his check, is seen laughing at the sidelines when we're losing, he leaves games early, and goes about his business as if he's above the team, not a part of it.


January 15th, 2013, 6:09 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
at least he played in the Pro Bowl last year - opps, sorry...

personally, I don't care about the Pro Bowl or if he plays - means nothing to me and I'm a pretty big fan of the game.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


January 15th, 2013, 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3698
Location: WSU
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Quote:
Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on January 15, 2013 – 3:21 pm

Wide receiver Calvin Johnson has opted not to play in the 2013 Pro Bowl due to injury.

Johnson, who broke Jerry Rice’s single-season receiving yards record (1,964 yards), dealt with knee and finger injuries over the course of the 2012 season.

Said Johnson on being elected to the Pro Bowl for the third-straight year, “These guys – the guys you go up against every day, it’s means a lot when they vote for you because you have to see them on the field for 60 minutes and they know what you’re about because they see it on film. They watch film just as much as you do, so to be elected by your peers, it’s respect.”

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have reported that wide receiver Vincent Jackson will take Johnson’s place.



Personally, I'd rather he played. He's had multiple weeks to "rest his knee" I'd like to see him "get in game shape" again on more time in January to shorten the offseason, work with yet another WR coach and learn let another OCs version. It's all knowledge and he's not old enough to have "learned it all." IMO his game could benefit by playing.


oh c'mon you cannot be serious. you actually think they get coached up at the probowl and learn valuable parts of other systems? you have some kind of vendetta against CJ that is kinda strange, who knows maybe you are Titus Young


January 15th, 2013, 7:13 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
The Legend wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Quote:
Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on January 15, 2013 – 3:21 pm

Wide receiver Calvin Johnson has opted not to play in the 2013 Pro Bowl due to injury.

Johnson, who broke Jerry Rice’s single-season receiving yards record (1,964 yards), dealt with knee and finger injuries over the course of the 2012 season.

Said Johnson on being elected to the Pro Bowl for the third-straight year, “These guys – the guys you go up against every day, it’s means a lot when they vote for you because you have to see them on the field for 60 minutes and they know what you’re about because they see it on film. They watch film just as much as you do, so to be elected by your peers, it’s respect.”

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have reported that wide receiver Vincent Jackson will take Johnson’s place.



Personally, I'd rather he played. He's had multiple weeks to "rest his knee" I'd like to see him "get in game shape" again on more time in January to shorten the offseason, work with yet another WR coach and learn let another OCs version. It's all knowledge and he's not old enough to have "learned it all." IMO his game could benefit by playing.


oh c'mon you cannot be serious. you actually think they get coached up at the probowl and learn valuable parts of other systems? you have some kind of vendetta against CJ that is kinda strange, who knows maybe you are Titus Young


Yeah, He wants CJ to play and then get hurt in a meaningless game so that he, ( WJB), can come on here and bemoan how CJ never should have been allowed to play in the PB.


January 15th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.