View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mel Kiper Has the Lions Selecting Jarvis Jones at #5 
Post Mel Kiper Has the Lions Selecting Jarvis Jones at #5
Not that it's really newsworthy, but...

Quote:
ESPN Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has the Detroit Lions selecting Georgia LB Jarvis Jones at No. 5

Kiper says Alabama CB Dee Milliner and Texas A&M DE Damontre Moore would also be a good fit for the Detroit Lions defense
Jarvis Jones

ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has released his first mock draft of the season and has the Detroit Lions selecting Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones with the fifth pick.

He projected the Chiefs to take offensive tackle Luke Joeckel No.1 overall, followed by Texas A&M defensive lineman Damontre Moore (Jaguars), Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei (Raiders), Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner (Eagles) and then Jones.

Jones, 6-foot-2, 249 pounds, was a first team All-SEC performer this past season and broke Georgia's single-season sack record (14.5).

He finished 2012 with 86 tackles, 24.5 tackles for loss, seven forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one interception. His 28 sacks over the last two years led the Southeastern Conference.

"At linebacker, you can use Jarvis Jones like a Von Miller has been used in Denver," Kiper said in a conference call Wednesday. "It doesn't have to be a 3-4 linebacker spot.

"That was kind of a misnomer and was inaccurate when Denver was up. They said why would they take Von Miller? Well, you see what he means to that defense in Denver."

The Lions would certainly have to do their homework on Jones and he’d have to check out medically. Jones transferred to Georgia from USC after doctors would not clear him after discovering a "mild" case of spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal column.

"He may not be a perfect fit in a 4-3 on the edge, but Jones is an exceptional pass-rusher, can line up on either side of Detroit's young and talented interior linemen and will flat-out make plays," Kiper wrote on ESPN.com

"He led the nation in sacks even as every team brought help to block him, and Jones not only uses great leverage to hold up as a run defender, but is vastly underrated in his ability to drop and cover.

"He brings a workmanlike effort and will sack quarterbacks, and skip the dance as he helps them up. A mature player and a good fit on any team, and within any system."

Kiper said Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner was potentially the best fit for the Lions, but has him being selected one pick before the Lions to the Eagles at No. 4.

Kiper also said Texas A&M defensive end Damontre Moore (6-4, 250) would be a good fit for the Lions if he’s still on the board at No. 5.

"Damontre Moore played down (in three point stance) this year and up (two point) two years ago," Kiper said.

"He’s one of those DeMarcus Ware types. I have him going to Jacksonville at No. 2. I think he could end up being the No. 1 guy on a lot of people’s boards."

Kiper has Jones and Moore as the two best players available in April’s draft.

"If (Jones) is there at No. 5 and Damontre Moore is there at No. 5, I would go that route," Kiper said.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/articl ... 313828f609

If Millner goes to the Eagles, I'll be shocked.
Other notables:
#1 Luke Joeckel
#2 Damontre Moore
#3 Star Lotuleli
#4 Dee Millner
#5 Jarvis Jones

If the draft really does work out that way (and oddly enough, I can actually see it happening, Joeckel is the best player in the draft, according to a ton of experts), I'd be willing to bet we can find a trade up partner for a Qb.

Personally I don't see Millner being picked that high, and I don't think Jax goes DE, but I could be wrong.

January 16th, 2013, 3:54 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Mel Kiper Has the Lions Selecting Jarvis Jones at #5
Jones is a freak and I'm having a real hard time figuring out where he goes into the draft. Seems more like a 3-4 OLB to me and his spinal stenosis is certainly concerning.

When I've tried to put together my top five for the Lions he is just tough to figure out where he fits. Right now it looks something like:

1) Joeckel
2) Werner
3) Moore
4) Warmack
5) Milliner

But honestly, I can see Jones being as high as #3 on this list.

January 16th, 2013, 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
Jones is a freak and I'm having a real hard time figuring out where he goes into the draft. Seems more like a 3-4 OLB to me and his spinal stenosis is certainly concerning.

When I've tried to put together my top five for the Lions he is just tough to figure out where he fits. Right now it looks something like:

1) Joeckel
2) Werner
3) Moore
4) Warmack
5) Milliner

I agree he definitely has big reward potential, but IMO he's too risky and we've taken far too many risks in recent drafts. I would like to go with someone more stable. Joeckel was my guy, not because I'm willing to reach for OL talent as some suggested, but because I thought he was the best value, but he's quickly turning into the consensus #1.

January 16th, 2013, 4:33 pm
Team MVP

We wont get Jarvis Jones. Why? Because Mel Kiper said we will, thats why. Hes the guy last year that swore we would draft Lavonte David.

Anyway..

I agree with you guys on the top guys list, for the most part at least. Im more on the lines of:

1) Bjoern Werner
1a) Luke Joeckel
For the #5 spot.

I really dont see anyone else worth taking at that position. Im kind of in the minority as far as my thoughts on Damontre Moore goes, I wouldnt touch him in the Top 5. Im wierd, i know. I just dont see the hype one bit.

But overall, I like
1)Bjoern Werner
1a)Luke Joeckel
2)Jonathon Banks
3)Chance Warmack
4)Dee Milliner

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 16th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

1) Joeckel
2) Werner
3) Moore
4) Warmack
5) Milliner

I agree he definitely has big reward potential, but IMO he's too risky and we've taken far too many risks in recent drafts. I would like to go with someone more stable. Joeckel was my guy, not because I'm willing to reach for OL talent as some suggested, but because I thought he was the best value, but he's quickly turning into the consensus #1.

I don't think Joeckel will go #1. The Chiefs NEED a quarterback. I'm talking NEED. Cassell's arm is very weak, his short-medium accuracy is average, and when he throws deep the football ends up in the bleachers. If Andy Reid took Donovan McNabb as high as he did, I don't think he'll hesitate to take Geno. His philosophy is based around good QB play, he needs a QB. Jags offensive line isn't that shabby and their defensive line is seemingly non-existent, so I think they go with the DT Star or Bjoern Werner. Raiders have a great left tackle and have more important needs than tackle, so I don't think they consider Joeckel. Eagles have Peters, who will still be good after his injury and a good RT. I just don't think any of those teams pick LJ. He just doesn't really fit their needs. If any of them take him, I think it's the Chiefs if they decide not to take Geno Smith.

January 16th, 2013, 4:58 pm
Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

1) Joeckel
2) Werner
3) Moore
4) Warmack
5) Milliner

I don't think Joeckel will go #1. The Chiefs NEED a quarterback. I'm talking NEED. Cassell's arm is very weak, his short-medium accuracy is average, and when he throws deep the football ends up in the bleachers. If Andy Reid took Donovan McNabb as high as he did, I don't think he'll hesitate to take Geno. His philosophy is based around good QB play, he needs a QB. Jags offensive line isn't that shabby and their defensive line is seemingly non-existent, so I think they go with the DT Star or Bjoern Werner. Raiders have a great left tackle and have more important needs than tackle, so I don't think they consider Joeckel. Eagles have Peters, who will still be good after his injury and a good RT. I just don't think any of those teams pick LJ. He just doesn't really fit their needs. If any of them take him, I think it's the Chiefs if they decide not to take Geno Smith.

Ha... I'm not picking on you, but it just sounds funny "I don't think (the Chief's take Joeckel). The Chiefs NEED a Qb"... And then conclude "If any of them take Joeckel it will be the Chiefs."

I don't disagree, but given value I think they may take him #1 overall. That said, I can see Phili taking him. Their OL was HORRIBLE, and, like you say, Peters could play RT. IMO, like us, Phili's biggest problem last season was their OL, secondary/DE was a close second. The two teams, IMO are sort of similar, we have a star WR, they have a star RB. Like KC, I do think they're better than us overall though.

You guys can bring up Staff all you want, IMO it's overall talent that wins games consistently.

January 16th, 2013, 5:13 pm
QB Coach

I hope we don't take Jones. I'd be ok with Joeckel, Werner, less ok with Milliner at 5 but at least it's a need, or we trade down.

I could see Jax taking a DE because their pass rush was terrible last season. The Chiefs might target a QB at the top of the second like the Bengals did with Dalton, I just don't know who they'd take there. If they take Joeckel, their OL will be pretty stacked and, they may not re-sign Albert which would allow us to being him in at guard if we had any cap space....

January 16th, 2013, 5:28 pm
NFL Veteran

No one is getting Albert as a guard, he's going to get LT money offers and no one is going to pay that much to place him at guard. He should get moved back to guard, but he still plays LT at a high enough level to beat out quite a few starting LTs.

Milliner is only a good 40 time away from being in top 5 territory and the Eagles really have major CB issues, so it's a reasonable thought, but with Chip Kelly taking over he's probably more likely to snatch up Joeckel if he falls or maybe even go after a QB since Vick has a high cap cost.

The biggest thing is Kiper said in the ESPN article that all these picks will probably change after the combine since a lot of QBs get a boost in their stock after the teams watch them throw and their is always a couple work out warriors the surprise everyone.

January 16th, 2013, 6:38 pm
RIP Killer

I'm surprised chip is going to the eagles. That team is a train wreck.

Either way, not a fan of the jones pick. Of course, I still think its a poor choice unless they trade back. This team needs multiple quality starters, not a single playmaker. What good is Von Miller if hes not used properly and Paris lenon is next to him?

January 16th, 2013, 7:00 pm
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:
I'm surprised chip is going to the eagles. That team is a train wreck.

Either way, not a fan of the jones pick. Of course, I still think its a poor choice unless they trade back. This team needs multiple quality starters, not a single playmaker. What good is Von Miller if hes not used properly and Paris lenon is next to him?

I'm the opposite, I feel like the team needs a playmaker more than anything else. It could uses some more quality starters also, but I think if there was some sort of playmaker on the defense the rest of the guys wouldn't seem so inadequate. They really need someone dynamic in the secondary or at linebacker to challenge the other players and generate some excitement. As good as Suh can be he's not able to make the big plays himself, he needs someone that can capitalize on the pressure he creates. That being said if they were to trade down and load up on young quality OLinemen it would bring tears of joy to my eyes.

January 16th, 2013, 8:04 pm
Stadium Announcer

I think it is so blatantly obvious that we need to trade back i have considered ending my life long fanhood if they dont do so. however, the only player i think is worthy of the #5 pick is jarvis jones. Werner and Moore dont impress me in the least and i will be irate if we take any of them at #5. if Joeckel somehow falls to us we take him unless theres a reason unknown to the public he is falling.

Ideally trade back a few spots, draft chance warmack in the first, if hes not there wherever we land the next best option is Milliner, and fill the defensive holes in the later rounds and have all the young guys fight for starting spots. if we go offense at all in the draft, i better not see anything other than an o-line prior to the 4th.

January 16th, 2013, 9:02 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Firstly, the draft is like 3 months away, and big boards will fluctuate considerably between now and then. Secondly, I don't put a lot of stock in what Kiper says.
As for Jones, I just don't see it. He's too small to be a full time 4-3 DE. OLB maybe. But top 5? Please.

January 16th, 2013, 9:08 pm
Walk On

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

1) Joeckel
2) Werner
3) Moore
4) Warmack
5) Milliner

Ha... I'm not picking on you, but it just sounds funny "I don't think (the Chief's take Joeckel). The Chiefs NEED a Qb"... And then conclude "If any of them take Joeckel it will be the Chiefs."

I don't disagree, but given value I think they may take him #1 overall. That said, I can see Phili taking him. Their OL was HORRIBLE, and, like you say, Peters could play RT. IMO, like us, Phili's biggest problem last season was their OL, secondary/DE was a close second. The two teams, IMO are sort of similar, we have a star WR, they have a star RB. Like KC, I do think they're better than us overall though.

You guys can bring up Staff all you want, IMO it's overall talent that wins games consistently.

Chiefs will take Joeckel, If you look at Andy Reid's past history of drafting, He likes drafting Offensive Lineman in the early rounds. An nothing about either QB (Neither is McNabb coming out) makes him convinced they're the right choice to lead that franchise. He'll draft a QB in the 2nd Rd to develop first and go with a sure thing to anchor his line for years to come.

January 18th, 2013, 5:34 pm
Mufasa wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

1) Joeckel
2) Werner
3) Moore
4) Warmack
5) Milliner

Chiefs will take Joeckel, If you look at Andy Reid's past history of drafting, He likes drafting Offensive Lineman in the early rounds. An nothing about either QB (Neither is McNabb coming out) makes him convinced they're the right choice to lead that franchise. He'll draft a QB in the 2nd Rd to develop first and go with a sure thing to anchor his line for years to come.

I agree. I'd love to land the #1 rated prospect at the #5 spot, but I don't see it happening.

Phili will be interesting. Now that they've hired Chip does anyone think that they'll keep Vick? He can run the uptempo offense, for sure. They're not going to bring him back for his ridiculous salary, but I can see them sticking with Vick at a reduced rate, and I can see Vick thriving there under Chip, but I do think it will be boom and bust (meaning, huge #'s one week, garbage the next).

January 18th, 2013, 5:47 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I wouldn't be surprised if Chip looks to get two or three QBs this offseason that "fit" what he is looking for. Acouple guys I could see him being interested in are Stanton, Dixon, T.Jackson, maybe even Webb.

January 18th, 2013, 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next