View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 15th, 2014, 12:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
Wow...how will this affect his draft stock?

Quote:
Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos- ... -is-a-hoax
Timothy Burke and Jack Dickey

Notre Dame's Manti Te'o, the stories said, played this season under a terrible burden. A Mormon linebacker who led his Catholic school's football program back to glory, Te'o was whipsawed between personal tragedies along the way. In the span of six hours in September, as Sports Illustrated told it, Te'o learned first of the death of his grandmother, Annette Santiago, and then of the death of his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua.

Kekua, 22 years old, had been in a serious car accident in California, and then had been diagnosed with leukemia. SI's Pete Thamel described how Te'o would phone her in her hospital room and stay on the line with her as he slept through the night. "Her relatives told him that at her lowest points, as she fought to emerge from a coma, her breathing rate would increase at the sound of his voice," Thamel wrote.

Upon receiving the news of the two deaths, Te'o went out and led the Fighting Irish to a 20-3 upset of Michigan State, racking up 12 tackles. It was heartbreaking and inspirational. Te'o would appear on ESPN's College GameDay to talk about the letters Kekua had written him during her illness. He would send a heartfelt letter to the parents of a sick child, discussing his experience with disease and grief. The South Bend Tribune wrote an article describing the young couple's fairytale meeting—she, a Stanford student; he, a Notre Dame star—after a football game outside Palo Alto.

Did you enjoy the uplifiting story, the tale of a man who responded to adversity by becoming one of the top players of the game? If so, stop reading.
Manti Te'o did lose his grandmother this past fall. Annette Santiago died on Sept. 11, 2012, at the age of 72, according to Social Security Administration records in Nexis. But there is no SSA record there of the death of Lennay Marie Kekua, that day or any other. Her passing, recounted so many times in the national media, produces no obituary or funeral announcement in Nexis, and no mention in the Stanford student newspaper.

Nor is there any report of a severe auto accident involving a Lennay Kekua. Background checks turn up nothing. The Stanford registrar's office has no record that a Lennay Kekua ever enrolled. There is no record of her birth in the news. Outside of a few Twitter and Instagram accounts, there's no online evidence that Lennay Kekua ever existed.

The photographs identified as Kekua—in online tributes and on TV news reports—are pictures from the social-media accounts of a 22-year-old California woman who is not named Lennay Kekua. She is not a Stanford graduate; she has not been in a severe car accident; and she does not have leukemia. And she has never met Manti Te'o..."

Last edited by thelomasbrowns on January 16th, 2013, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 16th, 2013, 6:05 pm
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And
I just hope for the sake of the news source that they're right... I'd hate to be the one wrong on this issue. That's a whole lotta egg if they're wrong.

That said, I've never actually heard that story before, but I've never really been a Te'o supporter. Like I said months ago, his biggest games were against his weakest talent. No thanks!

January 16th, 2013, 6:16 pm
RIP Killer

from Notre Dame's FB page

Quote:
Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

Why weren't they informed until 12/26?

January 16th, 2013, 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Wow, that's seriously pathetic on his part if its true (the hoax). If the hoax is true, I hope this clown doesn't get drafted.

January 16th, 2013, 7:49 pm
NFL Veteran

You guys should read the article on deadspin, there is a lot more about the whole year long thing and about the supposed person that started the hoax.
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax?utm_source=io9.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

January 16th, 2013, 8:22 pm
League MVP

something stranger always comes along doesnt it?

January 16th, 2013, 10:39 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
The girl didnt exist. The only thing left for people to figure out ifs if Manti was aware since he supposedly knew the person (or at least through connections) who perpetrated the hoax.

The 1 part that doesnt make sense is, his Grandmother did just die, and then within a week the "girl" died. He already had the spotlight on him, and was going to play to honor his grandmother. Supposedly if it was on purpose it was just to gain attention... but he already had the nations attention.

That said, he carried on a long distance telephone and internet relationship with this "person" and was in love with her. So who was he talking to if the orchestrator of this hoax was a guy...

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this in the next week.

:popcorn:

January 17th, 2013, 2:32 am
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:
The girl didnt exist. The only thing left for people to figure out ifs if Manti was aware since he supposedly knew the person (or at least through connections) who perpetrated the hoax.

The 1 part that doesnt make sense is, his Grandmother did just die, and then within a week the "girl" died. He already had the spotlight on him, and was going to play to honor his grandmother. Supposedly if it was on purpose it was just to gain attention... but he already had the nations attention.

That said, he carried on a long distance telephone and internet relationship with this "person" and was in love with her. So who was he talking to if the orchestrator of this hoax was a guy...

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this in the next week.

:popcorn:

I agree... Allegedly, 97.1 is reporting that his g'ma and "fake gf" died the same day. It doesn't make much sense, as if it was "in play" long before his g'ma passed away, and then all of the sudden the perpetrator of the event realized the "golden opportunity" to have both events collide.

It will be interesting to find out how much he knew before hand, and it seems like there's enough information out there to bring everything to light.

January 17th, 2013, 2:37 am
QB Coach

I agree that this story is pretty nuts. As a ND fan I'm admittedly biased. With that said, here's my take: Given that Te'o has generally been seen as a stand-up guy and has had the support of everyone he's been involved with, it would be wildly out of character (at least from what we know on the outside looking in) for him to have orchestrated this. But, at the same time it would be pretty remarkable for him to not know about it. It's certainly fishy. I've read a few different things on it, some saying that he probably did know (I believe the quote was that the person was 80% sure Te'o knew), and others saying that it was purely an online relationship and that he was blindsided by this. Also, add in the fact that Reagan Mauia, the FB for the Cardinals, says he has met the girl and she's real, and I'm pretty lost. Hopefully the truth comes out, and I hope for Te'o's sake that he was duped. It would show that he's awfully gullible and naive, but that's better than being a perpetrator of a hoax like this.

Either way, it fascinating. Sad, but fascinating.

*edit*

Another theory I've now seen speculated (and this actually could make sense) is that Te'o is gay but was reluctant to come out (not exactly accepted in the sports world, not to mention the mormon community). So, here we have a star football player, expected to run around with women, etc., so he concocts the girlfriend at another school story. This would explain why he's not out chasing other girls, and keeps his parents and those in his religious community from suspecting anything. Up to this point, I can see where it makes sense. The thing I don't get is why come up with the death? As others have pointed out, he already had the spotlight and the sympathy from playing at ND and his grandmother's death. It actually goes against his interests to come up with a story about his gf passing away. That's the part I don't get. Well, all of it is still pretty crazy...

Man, this is so nuts. Never seen anything like it before that I can recall.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 17th, 2013, 3:55 am
NFL Veteran

According to the article there was a few different reports as to when the "GF" died and since they were getting the info from Te'o or his family it makes it seem as though he was in on it. It's possible that maybe he wasn't in on it, but after finding out the truth he decided to still play along to keep from looking gullible. I think if all the facts actually come out it will turn out to have been just a perfect storm of bad judgment calls by Te'o and his advisers along with a complete lack of common sense.

January 17th, 2013, 10:39 am
I still haven't seen a "smoking gun," that makes it clear that he was in on anything. He allegedly met "her" in Stanford, but that's not to say he was lying about it. Whomever was perpetrating this "prank" could have had a pretty girl meet him. That said, it is odd, and he is at least gullible.

January 17th, 2013, 11:10 am
QB Coach

There is so much weird stuff here. I found this website with screen caps of a bunch of tweets from the people supposedly behind this. Looks like they were openly joking about pulling a hoax on twitter:

http://everyfacetofthegame.blogspot.com/2013/01/catfished.html

Then there's this, from the twitter account of the supposed gf:

https://twitter.com/LennayKay

Her latest tweet (from 11 hrs ago) says: "It isn't fair to drag Reagan and Troy into this.. a lot of truths and myths need to be addressed here, and they will be at noon PST tomorrow"

So whoever is controlling her account is going to say something at noon PST today.

WTF? This is so weird. Apparently the show Catfish is some kind of inspiration for all this too. So many layers to this...

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 17th, 2013, 11:18 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I don't think the @LennayKay was actually her twitter handle, was it? If it is, she only has those few tweets, and one or two mentions from Manti, and THAT is considered a relationship? I call bollocks on that one.

However, the gay rumor came to my mind as well. A gay Mormon football star at a Catholic university? There would be some backlash and all that, but nowhere near the amount that this is causing. Do people go to great lengths to cover things up that they are ashamed/afraid of coming to light? Definitely, but there was a much easier way to handle that. If he is gay, why would he kill her off?

They say he's a very trusting kid and has worn his emotions on his sleeve. But if he has lived with a fake girlfriend for 3 years he has got to be the DUMBEST most GULLIBLE person on the face of the planet. And why did his dad say they met? Why did he say they "met" at Stanford? Why, after ND officials knew about this, did he continue to discuss her openly, even at the National Championship game interviews?

A lot of people are saying that they believe he was duped, and that very well may be the case. But I think that the damage control that the Te'o's did after the revelation of a hoax was terribly executed. If, by all accounts, he found out on Dec 26th that she was made up, why only now are we hearing about it. Is it because he didn't want to distract the team from its preparations? Did his holding this in negatively effect his play? That would not have changed the outcome of the game, since they were obviously outclassed, but it gives a reason for his bad game. But when he thought she was real and dead and so was his Gma, he played lights out!

When all this news came out, I had trouble forming thoughts about this because it's so far off the reservation from anything I've ever encountered.

January 17th, 2013, 11:49 am
QB Coach

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I don't think the @LennayKay was actually her twitter handle, was it? If it is, she only has those few tweets, and one or two mentions from Manti, and THAT is considered a relationship? I call bollocks on that one.

However, the gay rumor came to my mind as well. A gay Mormon football star at a Catholic university? There would be some backlash and all that, but nowhere near the amount that this is causing. Do people go to great lengths to cover things up that they are ashamed/afraid of coming to light? Definitely, but there was a much easier way to handle that. If he is gay, why would he kill her off?

They say he's a very trusting kid and has worn his emotions on his sleeve. But if he has lived with a fake girlfriend for 3 years he has got to be the DUMBEST most GULLIBLE person on the face of the planet. And why did his dad say they met? Why did he say they "met" at Stanford? Why, after ND officials knew about this, did he continue to discuss her openly, even at the National Championship game interviews?

A lot of people are saying that they believe he was duped, and that very well may be the case. But I think that the damage control that the Te'o's did after the revelation of a hoax was terribly executed. If, by all accounts, he found out on Dec 26th that she was made up, why only now are we hearing about it. Is it because he didn't want to distract the team from its preparations? Did his holding this in negatively effect his play? That would not have changed the outcome of the game, since they were obviously outclassed, but it gives a reason for his bad game. But when he thought she was real and dead and so was his Gma, he played lights out!

When all this news came out, I had trouble forming thoughts about this because it's so far off the reservation from anything I've ever encountered.

A few things here.

1. That is her twitter handle. Her previous tweets were deleted (at least that's what I read).
2. I agree that he probably is very gullible. There seems to be some confusion regarding who said what. From what I've been able to ready today, it was reported that his father said something about meeting her, but then other places I've seen that his dad said something about having plans for her to come to Hawaii to meet them, but then she never showed. As for Manti meeting her at Stanford, that's another one that was reported, but I haven't seen anything where he said it. It was more that reporters said it as part of the story, but it wasn't a quote from him. Again, that's from what I've seen so far. Prior to today I never read in depth about any of this, so I could be wrong.
3. As for discussing her at the NC game, I believe he was asked about her, and his response was to say that he was glad to be there with his guys. I heard a clip of a response he gave on ESPN today and it was noticeable that when asked about her, he didn't actually mention her at all. He totally deflected to football. There may be other quotes or interviews I'm not aware of though.
4. I think the reasons we are hearing about it now are two-fold: One, Notre Dame conducted an investigation. That to me was the right thing to do. Te'o goes to them with this supposed revelation that this might be a hoax, and the school has to investigate it. No reason to go public with it immediately. Better to find out if it is true or not. Two, I think they were probably hoping nobody would find out. This part I have an issue with. They obviously concluded their investigation, because the statement from the AD said as much. Once they had the info, they should have got out in front of it. Much better damage control that way.

Bottom line, the more I read about this, the more it sounds like it's probably a combination of him being duped, and then being embarrassed and trying to cover it up. My guess is he genuinely thought he was in love with this girl. Then when he found out it wasn't real, he was probably so thrown off and rattled that he didn't know what to do, so he just kind of went along with it/tried to cover it up. It doesn't excuse it, but it might explain it. It's still crazy, but I think that might be what happened.

We often forget that these are still kids. He's only 22. I was dumb as poop at 22 and am lucky nothing seriously bad ever happened to me.

The next few days will be interesting to say the least...

January 17th, 2013, 12:08 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

If she's the love of your life, like he claimed, there's no way I'm missing a 9am funeral when I've got a night game that week. That's where the doubt begins. Then Notre Dame played AT USC on November 24th, yet no attempt to go to the graveyard or visit her family?

He apparently went to meet her multiple times and she never showed...yet all the newspaper reports after he went public with her death, have different death dates. 9/11 is a memorable date. It's the same day his grandmother died, and I've had close friends die that I remember the exact date, yet alone the one true love that he's claiming.

His family all claimed multiple times that they've met her, now say they tried but she never showed up. The family is in on it. He wanted to increase his profile and it worked. He was second runner up to the Heismann because of the sympathy generated by the story. It's just a shame his tackles were just as make believe in the title game as his girlfriend.

And that's the other thing... ND finished it's private investigation on January 4th, prior to the title game and they didn't inform the press so they wouldn't tell the story again before the game? They never contacted law enforcement so they could trace those phone calls? Even ND sources have said the only reason they held the press conference was to shield ND and leave all the inconsistencies on Te'o.

January 17th, 2013, 1:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next