View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 12:43 am



Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax 
Author Message
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
njroar wrote:
If she's the love of your life, like he claimed, there's no way I'm missing a 9am funeral when I've got a night game that week. That's where the doubt begins. Then Notre Dame played AT USC on November 24th, yet no attempt to go to the graveyard or visit her family?

He apparently went to meet her multiple times and she never showed...yet all the newspaper reports after he went public with her death, have different death dates. 9/11 is a memorable date. It's the same day his grandmother died, and I've had close friends die that I remember the exact date, yet alone the one true love that he's claiming.

His family all claimed multiple times that they've met her, now say they tried but she never showed up. The family is in on it. He wanted to increase his profile and it worked. He was second runner up to the Heismann because of the sympathy generated by the story. It's just a shame his tackles were just as make believe in the title game as his girlfriend.

And that's the other thing... ND finished it's private investigation on January 4th, prior to the title game and they didn't inform the press so they wouldn't tell the story again before the game? They never contacted law enforcement so they could trace those phone calls? Even ND sources have said the only reason they held the press conference was to shield ND and leave all the inconsistencies on Te'o.



IMO, there's a lot of speculation going on. Did he ever meet "a girl" that was alleged to be this girl? Who knows? No one knows what T'eo knows, that's the problem. You can say you would have done this or you would have done that, but what if her "made up family" texted T'eo and told him that "she" wouldn't want you to miss a game, play this one in her honor. Do you refuse to abide by her family's wishes and show up to a funeral you weren't invited to? So they played USC, which isn't all that close to Stanford, it was a scheduled flight, a scheduled team program, and a scheduled departure with a demanding schedule. Do you abandon your team to go look at some grass where your "gf" that you don't really know is "buried"?

At the end of the day you can sit there and say you would have done this or that, but without knowing the real facts and what happened to this guy you can't really say you would have done much different.


January 17th, 2013, 2:37 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2309
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
Another thing is I just don't see the benefit of this based on the time it happened. Nobody had ND on the radar as a BCS team let alone being in the championship and as a LB he wasn't even sniffing the Heisman at that point. The negatives just outweigh the positives at the time of the story. I'm not saying he's innocent because I don't know anymore than anybody else, but it just doesn't add up. Now if she "died" late October early November I'd be questioning it a lot more.


January 17th, 2013, 3:52 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3824
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
He'd have to be seriously f'd in the head to come up with this....the interviews at the combine will be able to tell if thats the case. The only way I see him being a part of this is if the gay theory is true....people go a long way to hide what they feel they should be ashamed of.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


January 17th, 2013, 8:05 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
wjb21ndtown wrote:
njroar wrote:
If she's the love of your life, like he claimed, there's no way I'm missing a 9am funeral when I've got a night game that week. That's where the doubt begins. Then Notre Dame played AT USC on November 24th, yet no attempt to go to the graveyard or visit her family?

He apparently went to meet her multiple times and she never showed...yet all the newspaper reports after he went public with her death, have different death dates. 9/11 is a memorable date. It's the same day his grandmother died, and I've had close friends die that I remember the exact date, yet alone the one true love that he's claiming.

His family all claimed multiple times that they've met her, now say they tried but she never showed up. The family is in on it. He wanted to increase his profile and it worked. He was second runner up to the Heismann because of the sympathy generated by the story. It's just a shame his tackles were just as make believe in the title game as his girlfriend.

And that's the other thing... ND finished it's private investigation on January 4th, prior to the title game and they didn't inform the press so they wouldn't tell the story again before the game? They never contacted law enforcement so they could trace those phone calls? Even ND sources have said the only reason they held the press conference was to shield ND and leave all the inconsistencies on Te'o.



IMO, there's a lot of speculation going on. Did he ever meet "a girl" that was alleged to be this girl? Who knows? No one knows what T'eo knows, that's the problem. You can say you would have done this or you would have done that, but what if her "made up family" texted T'eo and told him that "she" wouldn't want you to miss a game, play this one in her honor. Do you refuse to abide by her family's wishes and show up to a funeral you weren't invited to? So they played USC, which isn't all that close to Stanford, it was a scheduled flight, a scheduled team program, and a scheduled departure with a demanding schedule. Do you abandon your team to go look at some grass where your "gf" that you don't really know is "buried"?

At the end of the day you can sit there and say you would have done this or that, but without knowing the real facts and what happened to this guy you can't really say you would have done much different.


His statement as well as ND's statement say they never met, it was all online. In past interviews he's said they met and his parents have said they met her. The inconsistencies are what kill the story. The 4 different death dates he gave to the press, there's no way you don't remember that both died on the same day, and that one died before the other.

Also, she went to Stanford, but she "lived" and was in the hospital in California, right outside LA. You can pay your respects when it's right there. Especially if she was your world as he claimed. As for the funeral, no one would keep me away from a funeral of a loved one, even if I had to stay at a distance.

And I've been scammed before. I fell for a girl's sweet talk line and sinker. Drove 4 hours even. But I didn't keep falling for it for 3 years, and use it to my advantage when I knew it was a fake. According to ND, he went to them on Dec. 26th. Their investigation ended January 4th. Why did they allow the media to keep running with the inspirational story? Why not at least tell them to keep it hush during the title game? And why wait 13 days to mention it before Deadspin broke it. Deadspin called Te'o and he had a chance to give his insight right away and decided to keep quiet. Sounds more like their trying to get their story together instead of just telling the truth. There's way too many different variations to the story from Te'o interviews while it was going on to just think it was a scam run on him.

Everyone knows who the pictures are of now. And everyone knows who contacted her and made requests to hold certain signs. It's someone connected to Te'o and that just makes it all the more fishier. If I'm running a game on someone, I couldn't keep a straight face if I'm standing on the sideline enjoying the spotlight along with Te'o that's a direct result of the scam. Te'o knew. The alternative is he's the stupidest bastard on the planet. He can only hope to bomb his wonderlic to backup the story.

Just wait til February. If you all thought Tebow's combine media circus was crazy, just wait until this one starts.


January 18th, 2013, 7:14 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
From everything I have heard about this story, there is just something wrong with this dude. I want no part of him on the Lions. The guy just screams "TROUBLE" to me. Stay away Lions. Stay away.


January 18th, 2013, 9:56 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
I don't know if he screams "trouble", but maybe more aptly, "troubled". I don't think he's going to be the kind of guy who has run ins with the law, like we experienced this passed offseason. But I can't believe that after all the facts come out and he's had his chance to explain his story, that he is going to still command respect and have the veterans on the defense that he ends up on, wanting to follow him. Maybe his football acumen is so high that he eventually wins a starting job, but for the next 5 years or whatever, there are going to plenty of vets who look at him crooked in the locker room. The type of rah rah leadership that Tim Tebow tried to espouse in the locker room didn't work because they couldn't trust his play, therefore rendering his biggest quality, his leadership, moot, and we saw how dysfunctional that locker room was. This is how I envision what will happen to the team that drafts him.

I would take him if I was MM if I had already drafted a CB and a lineman (either side). He can only fall so far, right? Vontaze Burfict had character issues (and a terrible combine) and he was a damn solid player this year. I think the Lions need to address LB, but this has to push Te'o down the list, at least somewhat.

Worst case scenario for Te'o is that it comes out that he was complicit in making up this lie the whole time. Second worst is if he knew about it and continued to perpetuate it. Third worse is if he was truly oblivious to everything because it would show he's real dumb!

_________________
Forward down the field!


January 18th, 2013, 10:30 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2231
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
what if he comes out and says he did it because he's gay and needed an excuse for not entertaining the ladies of south bend? How would that affect his draft status

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


January 18th, 2013, 10:46 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
Killwill25 wrote:
what if he comes out and says he did it because he's gay and needed an excuse for not entertaining the ladies of south bend? How would that affect his draft status


That would probably kill it.


January 18th, 2013, 10:51 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
It's unfortunate if it does, but then we're going to get into a whole other debate about whether or not a players sexuality should be asked/questioned in the draft process. I have a feeling homosexuality isn't the case but who knows anymore, right?

_________________
Forward down the field!


January 18th, 2013, 12:09 pm
Profile
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
I agree that a players sexuality probably "shouldn't" matter, but at the end of the day it's pretty unarguable that it does. I don't know that I would want to shower next to an openly gay man. You know he's going to get ridiculed on the field, and, especially at his young age, it will likely effect his play.

That said, he is a talented guy. I'd take him in the 2nd round if he's available. Seems like a Ravens pick though... They love drafting "stories."


January 18th, 2013, 1:48 pm
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12139
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree that a players sexuality probably "shouldn't" matter, but at the end of the day it's pretty unarguable that it does. I don't know that I would want to shower next to an openly gay man.
This is, IMO, a personal issue that each person would have to work through themselves. Its not like they're aren't any gay football (or baseball or basketball, etc) players already, its just that peeps don't realize / know / talk about it.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 18th, 2013, 2:29 pm
Profile
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree that a players sexuality probably "shouldn't" matter, but at the end of the day it's pretty unarguable that it does. I don't know that I would want to shower next to an openly gay man.
This is, IMO, a personal issue that each person would have to work through themselves. Its not like they're aren't any gay football (or baseball or basketball, etc) players already, its just that peeps don't realize / know / talk about it.


I agree with you, but most of them don't "come out" until they more established and bit more mature. I think it would be a lot tougher getting your career started with the stigma, than being established and telling the world. Even if people "know" (meaning they're 90% sure, but there's still that slight chance that maybe he's not gay...) it's still different than him "admitting it."


January 18th, 2013, 4:26 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
wjb21ndtown wrote:
(
Quote:
meaning they're 90% sure
, but there's still that slight chance that maybe he's not gay...) it's still different than him "admitting it."


Not 80% sure? Ha

_________________
Forward down the field!


January 18th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
Just another note... Te'o said in his own statement that he found out Dec. 6th. On the 7th, 8th and 9th he gave statements to the press about the girlfriend continuing the charade. If you found out she's a fake, you say it right away and say details will come out later. Even if he was duped, at that point it becomes a lie.


January 18th, 2013, 5:26 pm
Profile
Post Re: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend: Hoax
njroar wrote:
Just another note... Te'o said in his own statement that he found out Dec. 6th. On the 7th, 8th and 9th he gave statements to the press about the girlfriend continuing the charade. If you found out she's a fake, you say it right away and say details will come out later. Even if he was duped, at that point it becomes a lie.


That much I'll agree with.

It will be interesting when the timeline all finally comes out. I'm surprised he's not addressing this more clearly in the media. I'm sure his phone is ringing off of the hook.


January 18th, 2013, 5:43 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.