View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
We got Devin Thomas, special teams ace who recovered both of 49ers muffed punts in the NFC Championship Game last year.

January 17th, 2013, 6:21 pm
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:
We got Devin Thomas, special teams ace who recovered both of 49ers muffed punts in the NFC Championship Game last year.

Born in Ann Arbor, but got his life on track and headed up to E. Lansing on his way to becomming a 2nd round pick.

January 17th, 2013, 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

We signed Jacksonville's ex Special Teams coach. They sucked too. #-o

January 18th, 2013, 6:15 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

thelomasbrowns wrote:
We signed Jacksonville's ex Special Teams coach. They sucked too. #-o

He was an assistant with the Saints, Dolphins back to Saints and Jacksonville most recently. He's been a coach for 26 years though.

January 18th, 2013, 6:19 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Found this posted prideofdetroit.com

Lions hire John Bonamego as new special teams coordinator

By Sean Yuille on Jan 18, 5:27p 35

John Bonamego has been hired by the Detroit Lions as their new special teams coordinator.
Facebook
Twitter

The Detroit Lions have a new special teams coordinator. As first reported by Chris McCosky and John Niyo and confirmed by Dave Birkett, it's John Bonamego, who played football at Central Michigan and has been coaching special teams in the NFL since 1999.

Bonamego was most recently with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He spent one season (2012) as their special teams coordinator in his second stint with the team. His first stint as the Jaguars' special teams coordinator was in 2002 after spending three years as the assistant special teams coordinator. He was the Green Bay Packers' special teams coordinator from 2003-05, and he then held the same position with the New Orleans Saints from 2006-07. He became the Miami Dolphins' special teams coordinator in 2008 and held that job until he was fired in the middle of the 2010 season.

Here is a look at the rankings for Bonamego's teams in Football Outsiders' special teams ratings:

2002 (JAC): 18th
2003 (GB): 13th
2004 (GB): 14th
2005 (GB): 30th
2006 (NO): 14th
2007 (NO): 25th
2008 (MIA): 29th
2009 (MIA): 9th
2010 (MIA)*: 29th
2012 (JAC): 25th

*Fired midway through the season

My initial reaction is that this is a pretty underwhelming hire. Bonamego's special teams only cracked the top 10 once in Football Outsiders' ratings, and they often were ranked in the bottom half of the league. What's more, the fact that he was fired during the 2010 season by the Dolphins after they allowed a kick return touchdown and had two kicks blocked in the same game is pretty bad. I'd like to think that the Lions could have done better than this, especially with Alan Lowry out there.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised by this. Lions continue to do very little to improve the special teams unit.

January 18th, 2013, 9:04 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

My biggest fear is that on draft day, Mayhew will mortgage future draft picks to acquire additional talent right now. With his badonkadonk on the line to win next year or else.

January 18th, 2013, 9:23 pm
League MVP

this is an extremely underwhelming hire, Schwartz had a great candidate teed up for him in Alan Lowry, the longtime ST coordinator from the Titans, but I guess we wont know what happened there.

January 19th, 2013, 10:19 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

At 1st I was Like Who. Then I read his list of un-commplishments and i was like WTF.

THe only positives in the article I read where his Punter and Kicker this last year, the 2 position in SY where its 99% talent and 1% coaching. Not sure how you coach up a Punter or Kicker since it isnt an X's and O's position like Returning or Coverage units. Beyond Underwhelmed, I literally Facepalmed. ](*,)

January 19th, 2013, 2:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Ya, definetley the most unimpressive candidate we couldve hired. I doubt he's that much better than Crossman.

January 19th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
Ya, definetley the most unimpressive candidate we couldve hired. I doubt he's that much better than Crossman.

Should we all be surprised or something?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 19th, 2013, 5:36 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Guys, I had no clue this offseason will be stacked with good offensive linemen! So not only will the draft have many good offensive line prospects. Look at all these guys who will be FAs:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/fa/ol.html

Man, oh man we could do some special things next season with a big off-season.

January 19th, 2013, 6:08 pm
Shotty wrote:
Guys, I had no clue this offseason will be stacked with good offensive linemen! So not only will the draft have many good offensive line prospects. Look at all these guys who will be FAs:

Too bad we don't have any damn money. There was an article on DetroitLions.com that said we could have 4 new guys on the OL next season playing with Sims. I'm sure Raiola loved that one.

January 19th, 2013, 7:03 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Too bad we don't have any damn money. There was an article on DetroitLions.com that said we could have 4 new guys on the OL next season playing with Sims. I'm sure Raiola loved that one.

Which is why I've been calling for Avrils release for a year now. Let him go and replace him with a 1st-2nd rounder to get equal talent for way less $, Avril is atrocious against the run and a very inconsistent pass rusher. He's inover his head expecting that kind of money.

Fox-Sims-Nagy-FA/draft pick-Reiff wouldn't be half bad if they all beat their competitors out in training camp and would net us extremely useful and needed cap comfort.

January 20th, 2013, 12:34 am
NFL Veteran

Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Which is why I've been calling for Avrils release for a year now. Let him go and replace him with a 1st-2nd rounder to get equal talent for way less $, Avril is atrocious against the run and a very inconsistent pass rusher. He's inover his head expecting that kind of money.

Fox-Sims-Nagy-FA/draft pick-Reiff wouldn't be half bad if they all beat their competitors out in training camp and would net us extremely useful and needed cap comfort.

Fox is not going to be the starting LT, he can't even stay healthy sitting on the bench. If it's not Backus then it'll be Reiff unless they somehow sign a FA LT like Long or draft a guy that destroys in practice. Nagy will have to be incredibly good in camp for them to let Raiola go because he hasn't even played a game for them yet, but it's possible since he did start 4 games as a rookie before he fractured his ankle. I think Nagy will start in a hole compared to Raiola since Dominic has some magical hold on every coach that takes over the Lions and Fox starting at LT next year has probably only slightly better odds than someone on Lionbacker getting struck by lightning.

January 20th, 2013, 1:12 am
Butkus Award Winner

rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Fox is not going to be the starting LT, he can't even stay healthy sitting on the bench. If it's not Backus then it'll be Reiff unless they somehow sign a FA LT like Long or draft a guy that destroys in practice. Nagy will have to be incredibly good in camp for them to let Raiola go because he hasn't even played a game for them yet, but it's possible since he did start 4 games as a rookie before he fractured his ankle. I think Nagy will start in a hole compared to Raiola since Dominic has some magical hold on every coach that takes over the Lions and Fox starting at LT next year has probably only slightly better odds than someone on Lionbacker getting struck by lightning.

Fox's only issue, aside from injuries, has been his strength. What the hell is holding him back if he gained lots of strength since he got healthy again? Nagy replacing Raiola seems like an aberration but it's possible. A Cowboys fan told me he looked like a bright center stepping in as a rookie and was a good run-blocker (which seems to not be allowed on our line) but shabby at pass-blocking. Now, this is a rookie, picked in the 7th round, stepping in for a injured center, of course he won't be great at first, but from what I heard he has a good "base" to start around. Also, he may replace Peterman. He can play guard/center.

January 20th, 2013, 10:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 44  Next