View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
njroar wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
Looks like the Lions just hired Jim Washburn as a defensive assistant. I'm not sure what to make of it, but we better get used to the idea of one more year with wide 9.

Well when Washburn came in, Philly led the league in sacks. Costillo didn't know what he was doing and he got canned along with Washburn in December. Washburn spent 12 years in Tennessee before Philly, which included the entire time Schwartz was there. He's being brought in as a defensive assistant since our DL coach is coaching at the Senior Bowl, and I think it'll be good for Gun to have another set of eyes helping him, just like the Offensive assistant will give Linehan another set of eyes. Washburn's son was promoted to offensive line coach earlier in the month.

Most of the guys they brought in have a lot of years of experience in the league and adding an offensive and defensive assistant should help at the very least keep the coordinators honest, and if things go sour early, there's someone to step in if one needs to get canned.

As for the wide 9... it's only placing the ends 3-4 yards wider. It allows them to attack whether against the run or the pass. The problem we've had is KVB got old, and Avril has never been strong against the run. His angle is always too wide, and last season his sacks made up for the lack of run support, this year it didn't. Lojack got limited snaps, but he was able to be very effective against the run in the scheme. And I think that's where Washburn will help. If we resign Cliff, he needs to be better vs the run. If they draft a DE, I'm sure they'll make sure he can do both. Lojack was our only strong run support DE, so he needs to be retained. Avril, Young and KVB are strong against the pass, but weren't effective this year. KVB needs to go, Young can be tendered cheap, and Avril needs to take a reasonable cap number or he can walk.

As for the weakness against the wham trap runs... that's coaching plain and simple. You know it's coming, you just have to watch for it and adjust. The DL coaching needs to emphasize it or no amount of talent is going to make a difference.

I somewhat agree with you. Except, the weakness against the run, was the responsibility of the line backers. Between Durant acting like Ernie Sims and running himself right out of the play and Levy just never getting there, I am stunned we didn't finish with the worst run defense in the league. There is nothing wrong with the wide 9. But, if you are going to run it, you need your line backers to be really good at run defense.

January 23rd, 2013, 9:55 am
Heisman Winner

Washburn was in my opinion, was a big reason for Haynesworth's success in Tennessee. Things will get better if he can work some of that magic on Suh and Failey.

But as BillySims said, Mahew better get some quality LBs in the offseason.

January 23rd, 2013, 10:11 am
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
Looks like the Lions just hired Jim Washburn as a defensive assistant. I'm not sure what to make of it, but we better get used to the idea of one more year with wide 9.

Well when Washburn came in, Philly led the league in sacks. Costillo didn't know what he was doing and he got canned along with Washburn in December. Washburn spent 12 years in Tennessee before Philly, which included the entire time Schwartz was there. He's being brought in as a defensive assistant since our DL coach is coaching at the Senior Bowl, and I think it'll be good for Gun to have another set of eyes helping him, just like the Offensive assistant will give Linehan another set of eyes. Washburn's son was promoted to offensive line coach earlier in the month.

Most of the guys they brought in have a lot of years of experience in the league and adding an offensive and defensive assistant should help at the very least keep the coordinators honest, and if things go sour early, there's someone to step in if one needs to get canned.

As for the wide 9... it's only placing the ends 3-4 yards wider. It allows them to attack whether against the run or the pass. The problem we've had is KVB got old, and Avril has never been strong against the run. His angle is always too wide, and last season his sacks made up for the lack of run support, this year it didn't. Lojack got limited snaps, but he was able to be very effective against the run in the scheme. And I think that's where Washburn will help. If we resign Cliff, he needs to be better vs the run. If they draft a DE, I'm sure they'll make sure he can do both. Lojack was our only strong run support DE, so he needs to be retained. Avril, Young and KVB are strong against the pass, but weren't effective this year. KVB needs to go, Young can be tendered cheap, and Avril needs to take a reasonable cap number or he can walk.

As for the weakness against the wham trap runs... that's coaching plain and simple. You know it's coming, you just have to watch for it and adjust. The DL coaching needs to emphasize it or no amount of talent is going to make a difference.

I somewhat agree with you. Except, the weakness against the run, was the responsibility of the line backers. Between Durant acting like Ernie Sims and running himself right out of the play and Levy just never getting there, I am stunned we didn't finish with the worst run defense in the league. There is nothing wrong with the wide 9. But, if you are going to run it, you need your line backers to be really good at run defense.

It's also possible that because the secondary is so bad the LBs can't line up in the best position to stop the run. This all seems to me to be a secondary issue and everyone else trying to compensate for their ineptitude, which in turn is bad personnel decisions for not addressing it with more urgency and fervor.

The problem with bringing in Washburn is they didn't give him a real position. He's going to have to step on somebody's toes to coach up anyone or make changes to anything and Washburn is not known for his subtlety when making his point. The only way this doesn't turn into a clusterf**k is if everyone was already told they need to defer to Washburn and they were ok with it.

January 23rd, 2013, 10:16 am
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

It's also possible that because the secondary is so bad the LBs can't line up in the best position to stop the run. This all seems to me to be a secondary issue and everyone else trying to compensate for their ineptitude, which in turn is bad personnel decisions for not addressing it with more urgency and fervor.

The problem with bringing in Washburn is they didn't give him a real position. He's going to have to step on somebody's toes to coach up anyone or make changes to anything and Washburn is not known for his subtlety when making his point. The only way this doesn't turn into a clusterf**k is if everyone was already told they need to defer to Washburn and they were ok with it.

I agree with you on some levels with the LBs needing to compensate for the poor DB play, and not being able to properly attack the run. That said, IMO it is in part a coaching problem... We end up trying to do both (protect against the pass and the run) with our LBs and do neither well. IMO Durrant and Tulloch have proven to be at least solid on other squads, and they somewhat struggle here. I think that says something about our coaching and ability to get the most out of our guys. I think that's something that we severely fall short of.

I also agree with you on Washburn... I don't trust our management enough to believe that they've given him a defined role that won't interfere with someone else's position. Further, the Washburn hire makes me think we're going to go deeper into the rabbit hole in our "all-in" approach for the Wide-9. What I don't get, unless we plan on moving Suh to DE, is that the Wide-9 is predicated on having really good DEs, and our DEs our mediocre at best. The strength of our DL is in the middle. We should be looking for a speedy, blitzing linebacker that can take advantage of our strong middle, and play our DEs more to collapse the pocket and stop the run... I don't understand our whole approach on D... It really seems like we're trying to fit square pegs into round holes...

January 24th, 2013, 7:03 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree with you on some levels with the LBs needing to compensate for the poor DB play, and not being able to properly attack the run. That said, IMO it is in part a coaching problem... We end up trying to do both (protect against the pass and the run) with our LBs and do neither well. IMO Durrant and Tulloch have proven to be at least solid on other squads, and they somewhat struggle here. I think that says something about our coaching and ability to get the most out of our guys. I think that's something that we severely fall short of.

I also agree with you on Washburn... I don't trust our management enough to believe that they've given him a defined role that won't interfere with someone else's position. Further, the Washburn hire makes me think we're going to go deeper into the rabbit hole in our "all-in" approach for the Wide-9. What I don't get, unless we plan on moving Suh to DE, is that the Wide-9 is predicated on having really good DEs, and our DEs our mediocre at best. The strength of our DL is in the middle. We should be looking for a speedy, blitzing linebacker that can take advantage of our strong middle, and play our DEs more to collapse the pocket and stop the run... I don't understand our whole approach on D... It really seems like we're trying to fit square pegs into round holes...

I think Tulloch has been playing too deep and its really killed his game. He would be much better if he could just focus on plugging his gap. He's so short, so even with him back in coverage he still can't stop any throws in the middle. It has been a total waste of his skills.

With all the player's up as FAs I just don't see how they get the wide-9 to work. They will most likely need 2 new DEs and maybe 2 CBs if Houston asks for too much. They just have too many holes to fill if the don't resign the players they have and if they do they end up overpaying for mid-level talent. It's a lose lose situation since they have decided they wont change the scheme.

The more you look at the team the more you can see how great a year this would have been to get a new staff. With all the FAs this team has it's going to feel like a rebuilding year even though it isn't or they are going to resign everyone and get fired after the season so the next staff will be stuck with a bunch of terrible contracts they can't get rid of. This is going to be an unbearable off-season.

January 24th, 2013, 11:17 pm
Varsity Captain

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/25/titus-young-is-back-on-twitter/
Quote:
Titus Young continues his Twitter drive to leave Lions

Posted by Josh Alper on January 25, 2013, 9:21 AM EST

Getty Images
Earlier this week, Lions wide receiver Titus Young took to Twitter to say that he would retire from football if he didn’t get the ball more often.

That missive was met with a response from coach Jim Schwartz that consisted of the relatively reasonable response that it was a bad idea to go on Twitter to complain about your touches after a season that saw you get essentially kicked off the team for detrimental conduct. Schwartz said that there was “obviously still some ground to cover” in regard to getting Young on the same page with the team.

Young doesn’t seem to have taken all that kindly to Schwartz’s response. He was back on Twitter Friday morning with another message for the team.

“Oh I’m not done, if y’all going to cut me let me go. I’m tired of the threats,” Young tweeted. “Never needed the money Give me a dollar and a ball bet I come back #HallofFame”

It feels like we’re just waiting for the start of the league year for Young’s eventual permanent departure from the Lions to become a reality. We probably won’t be waiting too long past the start of the league year.

This guy really is a maroon. He's as good as gone.

January 25th, 2013, 10:34 am
Team MVP

Falkes wrote:
Quote:

Getty Images
Earlier this week, Lions wide receiver Titus Young took to Twitter to say that he would retire from football if he didn’t get the ball more often.

That missive was met with a response from coach Jim Schwartz that consisted of the relatively reasonable response that it was a bad idea to go on Twitter to complain about your touches after a season that saw you get essentially kicked off the team for detrimental conduct. Schwartz said that there was “obviously still some ground to cover” in regard to getting Young on the same page with the team.

Young doesn’t seem to have taken all that kindly to Schwartz’s response. He was back on Twitter Friday morning with another message for the team.

“Oh I’m not done, if y’all going to cut me let me go. I’m tired of the threats,” Young tweeted. “Never needed the money Give me a dollar and a ball bet I come back #HallofFame”

It feels like we’re just waiting for the start of the league year for Young’s eventual permanent departure from the Lions to become a reality. We probably won’t be waiting too long past the start of the league year.

I wish the Lions would just cut the BS and throw this guy off the team right now. What more do they need him to do before they finally can him? Seriously.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 25th, 2013, 10:53 am
NFL Veteran

kdsberman wrote:
Falkes wrote:
Quote:

Getty Images

I wish the Lions would just cut the BS and throw this guy off the team right now. What more do they need him to do before they finally can him? Seriously.

They can't do anything till the start of the new league year. Though if he keeps acting the way he is I would take my damn time dealing with him, he's under contract and acting like an idiot, so I would just suspend him from team activities and let him stew in it til they actually need the cap space or training camp starts. Everything he does only makes him look worse and makes the Lions look like the victim.

January 25th, 2013, 11:20 am
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
Falkes wrote:
Quote:

Getty Images

Why do that? That just gives the punk exactly what he wants. I say that if we can't trade him for fair compensation, then we should NOT cut him! We should suspend him for the whole season for conduct detrimental to the team. Maybe he will grow up after watching an entire season on the suspended list. If he hasn't grown up by next year, we do the same thing again. By then, after 2 years being suspended, without pay, his playing career would be about over. Or at least on life support. That would send a message that we will not be bullied into giving any punk what they want. The other players on the team would see it as him getting his just deserts after the crap he pulled last year.

January 25th, 2013, 12:24 pm
Hall of Fame Player

rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Falkes wrote:
Quote:

Getty Images

They can't do anything till the start of the new league year. Though if he keeps acting the way he is I would take my damn time dealing with him, he's under contract and acting like an idiot, so I would just suspend him from team activities and let him stew in it til they actually need the cap space or training camp starts. Everything he does only makes him look worse and makes the Lions look like the victim.

You and I are sharing a brain on this. But, I think that when a player is suspended without pay, because his salary is forfeited, I'm not sure if the forfeited salary counts against the cap. If not, we could do as I suggest and just suspend him for the remainder of his contract.

January 25th, 2013, 12:28 pm
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Falkes wrote:
Quote:

Getty Images

You and I are sharing a brain on this. But, I think that when a player is suspended without pay, because his salary is forfeited, I'm not sure if the forfeited salary counts against the cap. If not, we could do as I suggest and just suspend him for the remainder of his contract.

There is some problem with suspending a player, but I can't remember what it is. I THINK it's that they count as one of the players on your final 43 man roster, and it would be pretty silly to use one of those spots just to "punish" Titus. Further, you realize that if we did that we wouldn't be acting like a professional organization (can you name another team that kept a guy they didn't want, just so they could suspend him)? And, it would do nothing to "put the drama to rest."

If we're done with him, we're done with him. Just know... This is exactly what he wants. He feels like he deserves more money than his rookie contract, and he feels like he deserves more balls thrown his way... Guess what??? He's right! You can sit there and say that he doesn't deserve it after acting this way, but the fact of the matter is, he DIDN'T act this way until we failed to deliver. IMO the Lions are just as much to blame for the Titus situation, as Titus is. You could argue that he was a time-bomb that was going to blow up eventually, but he didn't need to blow up now, when we need a #2 more than ever.

January 25th, 2013, 12:35 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
There is some problem with suspending a player, but I can't remember what it is. I THINK it's that they count as one of the players on your final 43 man roster, and it would be pretty silly to use one of those spots just to "punish" Titus. Further, you realize that if we did that we wouldn't be acting like a professional organization (can you name another team that kept a guy they didn't want, just so they could suspend him)? And, it would do nothing to "put the drama to rest."

If we're done with him, we're done with him. Just know... This is exactly what he wants. He feels like he deserves more money than his rookie contract, and he feels like he deserves more balls thrown his way... Guess what??? He's right! You can sit there and say that he doesn't deserve it after acting this way, but the fact of the matter is, he DIDN'T act this way until we failed to deliver. IMO the Lions are just as much to blame for the Titus situation, as Titus is. You could argue that he was a time-bomb that was going to blow up eventually, but he didn't need to blow up now, when we need a #2 more than ever.

Are you sure that you are a Lions fan? Or are you really a fan of blaming everything that goes wrong on the team, on the Lions themselves. I don't care if Titus is "justified" in being a rectum. He chose to be a rectum. Nobody forced him to be one. Nobody caused him to be one. He is a rectum because....HE'S A RECTUM!!!

January 25th, 2013, 1:16 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Falkes wrote:
Quote:

Getty Images

Wjb I agree with your first part, we have to release him, but I just think you take your time. Don't let him dictate the terms since the longer he stews the worse he makes himself look. I wouldn't suspend him because I wouldn't want to waste the roster spot and that starts to make it look like your just trying to hurt the guy. Now as for your second part you are way off, he may be right about his usage, but he did nothing to fix the issue. This is completely on TY in the way he's gone about trying to get more targets. He proved he was a time-bomb there is no argument needed, he sucker punched Delmas in training camp and blew up in the 11th game of his 2nd f**king season. This hasn't been going on long enough for this kind of problem. He obviously has anger management issues that needed to be dealt with. You can criticize the Lion's usage of him, but they aren't to blame for TY not being able to hold his sh*t together long enough to at least get through a season. I'm starting to think these issues may have started last year and that's why the Lions felt they couldn't pass up Broyles last draft. This staff is bad enough and has made so many bad decisions(including drafting TY in the first place) that I don't think you need to put TY's bad attitude on them too.

January 25th, 2013, 1:18 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Are you sure that you are a Lions fan? Or are you really a fan of blaming everything that goes wrong on the team, on the Lions themselves. I don't care if Titus is "justified" in being a rectum. He chose to be a rectum. Nobody forced him to be one. Nobody caused him to be one. He is a rectum because....HE'S A RECTUM!!!

Who's more to blame Billy? A 23 year old KID, or the ADULTS that pushed him into his situation? How can you say he's "wrong" when what he's doing will likely IMPROVE his situation?

I bet he gets cut and goes to a team for a one year deal and gets more playing time. That's what he wanted. After that one year deal expires I bet he gets a deal worth more than what he would have gotten paid had we let him continue to rot on the bench, like we were doing.

January 25th, 2013, 1:20 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Who's more to blame Billy? A 23 year old KID, or the ADULTS that pushed him into his situation? How can you say he's "wrong" when what he's doing will likely IMPROVE his situation?

I bet he gets cut and goes to a team for a one year deal and gets more playing time. That's what he wanted. After that one year deal expires I bet he gets a deal worth more than what he would have gotten paid had we let him continue to rot on the bench, like we were doing.

Exactly why we should suspend him so he can't. You wouldn't just cave in and give a child what he wanted when he tries this approach would you? If you would, then your kids are in charge of you. The only way to end this behavior is to make an example of him.

January 25th, 2013, 1:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 44  Next