View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 3:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 It's Going to Come Up Sooner or Later - Darrelle Revis 
Post It's Going to Come Up Sooner or Later - Darrelle Revis
Would you or wouldn't you, and, at what price?

Allegedly Suh has a lot of detractors in the lockerroom (surprise, surprise!), there was talk today on 97.1, would you trade Suh for Revis straight up? Revis is only one year older than Suh, Revis has one year left on his deal, Revis is allegedly only slated to make around $6 million next year that we would be responsible for. Cutting Suh would cost us around $1 million dollars, the net of the transaction would be we would get Revis for $7 million next year.

Thoughts?

January 24th, 2013, 6:40 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: It's Going to Come Up Sooner or Later - Darrelle Revis
Suh for Revis straight up would mean an ENORMOUS contract extension either way sooner or later, but you must remember, Revis is asking for around $15 million a year, Suh will ask for more, I know it. We have Nick Fairley, who's seemed to clean himself up off the field and has never been a buffoon on the field aside from his typical ferocious play style.

Man, it really is great just thinking about having Darrelle Revis in Honolulu blue locking down every #1 receiver in his path...

Also, with the scheme we run and coaching staff, Suh is being a bit misused. I'd do this trade in a heartbeat.

January 24th, 2013, 8:19 pm
Team MVP

Well, take into consideration Revis is coming off an ACL injury...

I just dont know if i would or not. Revis is considered the best CB in the NFL, while Suh could be one of the best. The thing is, we do have Fairley...

I dont know. I just dont know.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 24th, 2013, 10:21 pm
1st Round Pick

If Revis wasn't coming off an ACL I would seriously consider it, but with him being a risk of not being the same Revis I would say no. A lot of people have been putting Revis value around a 2nd rounder right now and I think Suh would easily pick up a 1st and probably more if he were available, so I would rather move him somewhere else than take a risk on Revis. I also would seriously look at it if the Lions played on grass, I think turf is just really hard on players knees.

January 24th, 2013, 10:42 pm
League MVP

Im not scared away by the ACL injury. Id trade Suh for Revis without hesitation.

January 24th, 2013, 11:12 pm
rao wrote:
If Revis wasn't coming off an ACL I would seriously consider it, but with him being a risk of not being the same Revis I would say no. A lot of people have been putting Revis value around a 2nd rounder right now and I think Suh would easily pick up a 1st and probably more if he were available, so I would rather move him somewhere else than take a risk on Revis. I also would seriously look at it if the Lions played on grass, I think turf is just really hard on players knees.

I disagree... If it was our 2nd round pick, which is pretty high, I'd so it in a minute, and I think 20+ other teams would too. I honestly think both players would garnish a trade for a first round pick.

It'd be awesome if we could get Cliff to agree to terms with NYJ and basically trade Cliff and maybe a 2nd... Throw in Titus for good measure... They love a circus in NY. That said, IMO it's a pipe dream, but ESP with teams like Chicago having one primary weapon it would be nice to be able to neutralize that threat.

That said, at the end if the day Revis brings the same problem that Suh does, we won't likely be able to resign either player, and both will likely land contracts that would cripple this team.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown on January 25th, 2013, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 25th, 2013, 2:13 am
Team MVP

If im not mistaken, this team has a better pass rush than NYJ anyway, which COULD make Revis even better here in Detroit.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 25th, 2013, 10:52 am
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

I disagree... If it was out 2nd round pick, which is pretty high, I'd so it in a minute, and I think 20+ other teams would too. I honestly think both players would garnish a trade for a first round pick.

It'd be awesome if we could get Cliff to agree to terms with NYJ and basically trade Cliff and maybe a 2nd... Throw in Titus for good measure... They love a circus in NY. That said, IMO it's a pipe dream, but ESP with teams like Chicago having one primary weapon it would be nice to be able to neutralize that threat.

That said, at the end if the day Revis brings the same problem that Suh does, we won't likely be able to resign either player, and both will likely land contracts that would cripple this team.

If we're talking moving the Lions 2nd for Revis I would do it in a second, then I would move Suh for more pieces. I just wouldn't move Suh straight up for Revis. Maybe the Lions could work out a swap of 1sts and something else for Revis, I think that would be even more beneficial than sitting at 5.

I don't think there would be anyway to move Avril to the Jets because their only reason to get rid of Revis is their cap problems and the need to get cheaper talent. I don't see Revis going anywhere unless the Jets are getting back picks and/or young players with a couple years left on rookie deals.

January 25th, 2013, 11:32 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Jets aren't moving Revis for any player with a big paycheck or one that will be getting a big paycheck. They are in cap hell and the only reason they are considering it is they know they can't re-sign him next year. With that said I'd pass on Revis unless I felt they were only a CB from being a Super Bowl contender this season. He defiantly wouldn't be in my future plans if I were in charge of the team. I'd much rather have two CBs in the $5-8 million dollar range than one eating up $15 million.

As far as Suh I'd be looking to move him next year. Regardless of the talent the Lions can't put together a Super Bowl contender with a DT making $15 million or more. The CJ deal makes the Lions have to be really aware of where they are using their money. Stafford is a $20 million man right now but I think under the new deal he will be about a $14 million dollar guy and that's just about right for a starting QB in today's league. On a final note if the Lions give Houston more than $4 million a year they are overpaying. He might be the Lions best CB but he isn't a top tier talent that teams are scared to challenge.

January 25th, 2013, 11:52 am
sweetd20 wrote:
The Jets aren't moving Revis for any player with a big paycheck or one that will be getting a big paycheck. They are in cap hell and the only reason they are considering it is they know they can't re-sign him next year. With that said I'd pass on Revis unless I felt they were only a CB from being a Super Bowl contender this season. He defiantly wouldn't be in my future plans if I were in charge of the team. I'd much rather have two CBs in the $5-8 million dollar range than one eating up $15 million.

As far as Suh I'd be looking to move him next year. Regardless of the talent the Lions can't put together a Super Bowl contender with a DT making $15 million or more. The CJ deal makes the Lions have to be really aware of where they are using their money. Stafford is a $20 million man right now but I think under the new deal he will be about a $14 million dollar guy and that's just about right for a starting QB in today's league. On a final note if the Lions give Houston more than $4 million a year they are overpaying. He might be the Lions best CB but he isn't a top tier talent that teams are scared to challenge.

The Jets are in desperate need of a LT, and I think it would suit us just fine to get rid of Backus. There are allegedly 2 LTs rated in the top 10 this year, and sitting at 5 we're guaranteed to get at least one of them. Dump Backus and our 2nd round pick for Revis? Titus seems like he would fit in just fine in NY too... a little bonus to boot?

I don't think we'd get Revis for more than a year, but he could single-handedly help to turn our D around. His base salary next year is very reasonable, and he's going to do everything he can to play lights out and land a big contract. If we can work out something like I listed above, I'd be all for it, but it is a long shot.

I don't think Revis makes us a SB contender, but I do think he could get us back over 8-8 and get us a shot at the playoffs. IMO that's worth it. I'd also look at Tracy Porter for a FA. The guy sat out a number of games due to his seisure, but was that caused from high altitude? He was medically cleared to play, but Harris was playing so well the Broncos didn't risk bringing Porter back. I'd take him in a second for a similar deal that he signed in Denver. He was playing better than Houston before he got hurt. Three year deal to Porter, multi-year deal to Houston, and Revis for one year helping all of our DBs could really clean up our backfield.

January 25th, 2013, 2:58 pm
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

The Jets are in desperate need of a LT, and I think it would suit us just fine to get rid of Backus. There are allegedly 2 LTs rated in the top 10 this year, and sitting at 5 we're guaranteed to get at least one of them. Dump Backus and our 2nd round pick for Revis? Titus seems like he would fit in just fine in NY too... a little bonus to boot?

I don't think we'd get Revis for more than a year, but he could single-handedly help to turn our D around. His base salary next year is very reasonable, and he's going to do everything he can to play lights out and land a big contract. If we can work out something like I listed above, I'd be all for it, but it is a long shot.

I don't think Revis makes us a SB contender, but I do think he could get us back over 8-8 and get us a shot at the playoffs. IMO that's worth it. I'd also look at Tracy Porter for a FA. The guy sat out a number of games due to his seisure, but was that caused from high altitude? He was medically cleared to play, but Harris was playing so well the Broncos didn't risk bringing Porter back. I'd take him in a second for a similar deal that he signed in Denver. He was playing better than Houston before he got hurt. Three year deal to Porter, multi-year deal to Houston, and Revis for one year helping all of our DBs could really clean up our backfield.

Neither of those guys have any trade value. The Lions would have to give up more than the 2nd to get the Jets to take those 2. If the Lions could package something for Revis it's going to be purely with picks, they don't have any players with contracts the Jets would take.

Now if they can work something out they should move Suh right after and build the D this year around Revis. If Revis can't be resinged they will at least have a good amount of cap space without Revis or Suh contracts on the books and hopefully some decent young talent from moving Suh.

January 25th, 2013, 4:14 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

Neither of those guys have any trade value. The Lions would have to give up more than the 2nd to get the Jets to take those 2. If the Lions could package something for Revis it's going to be purely with picks, they don't have any players with contracts the Jets would take.

Now if they can work something out they should move Suh right after and build the D this year around Revis. If Revis can't be resinged they will at least have a good amount of cap space without Revis or Suh contracts on the books and hopefully some decent young talent from moving Suh.

It was asserted that Revis' value is only a 2nd round pick. I was just throwing the two of them in there with the 2nd round pick. I think NYJ would love to have Backus for a year. They need a stop-gap at LT, and they need to fill a ton of holes. I don't know if Backus would retire before moving to NY, but he would only make $2.5 mill from the Jets next year. IMO it's a bargain for both sides. And, something tells me that NYJ would love the sideshow Titus brings. He just fits in with their drama.

January 25th, 2013, 4:17 pm
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

It was asserted that Revis' value is only a 2nd round pick. I was just throwing the two of them in there with the 2nd round pick. I think NYJ would love to have Backus for a year. They need a stop-gap at LT, and they need to fill a ton of holes. I don't know if Backus would retire before moving to NY, but he would only make $2.5 mill from the Jets next year. IMO it's a bargain for both sides. And, something tells me that NYJ would love the sideshow Titus brings. He just fits in with their drama.

Sanchez's delicate psyche wouldn't be able to handle when TY yells at him.

I thought Backus would cost them more than that. It's not a bad move for the Jets to get Bakus at that price for the year. I think a 2nd, 5th, and Backus actually could get it done if Revis decides he wants out now since he was said to be left "speechless" from the trade talk. If I'm Revis I'd go just about anywhere to get away from the Jets and their circus.

January 25th, 2013, 4:36 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

I thought Backus would cost them more than that. It's not a bad move for the Jets to get Bakus at that price for the year. I think a 2nd, 5th, and Backus actually could get it done if Revis decides he wants out now since he was said to be left "speechless" from the trade talk. If I'm Revis I'd go just about anywhere to get away from the Jets and their circus.

We moved most of Backus' contract to guaranteed money that we'd owe him. Cutting him saves us 2.5 million, but costs us $5 million in dead cap space (his cap # is $7.5 if he plays, and it's around $5 mill if we cut him). Still, if we draft our future LT, we can easily sign him for the $2.5 we would be saving trading Backus. Revis provides us a stop-gap at CB, and Backus provides NYJ a stop-gap at LT. Both teams fill a need, and we give up a 2nd round pick, and maybe a later round pick. I think it works on all levels.

January 25th, 2013, 4:43 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

We moved most of Backus' contract to guaranteed money that we'd owe him. Cutting him saves us 2.5 million, but costs us $5 million in dead cap space (his cap # is $7.5 if he plays, and it's around $5 mill if we cut him). Still, if we draft our future LT, we can easily sign him for the $2.5 we would be saving trading Backus. Revis provides us a stop-gap at CB, and Backus provides NYJ a stop-gap at LT. Both teams fill a need, and we give up a 2nd round pick, and maybe a later round pick. I think it works on all levels.

How would you rate this team?

QB: Staff
WR: CJ, Burleson, Broyles, Scheffler, maybe TY
TE: Pett, Scheff
LT: Luke Joeckel
LG: Sims
C: Raiola
RG: Nagy or 3rd round guard
RT: Riley Reiff

DE: Fairley
DT: Suh
DT: CW/SLH