View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 12:14 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Lions place Titus Young on IR 
Post Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
I'm just disgusted we're in this position. We gone through some B.S. with Rogers, M. Williams, and now Young. I just hope we stop drafting WR's unless it's a deep round picks for development because outside CJ we've had horrible luck with drafting early WR's and that has cost our team years of setbacks when u think of players who could have filled those spots.

I agree. I would even go as far to say, "BUY THEM, don't draft them". You can get a reliable #2 WR for cheap enough on Free Agency.

So let me get this straight... Because our management and coaches can't seem to deal with egos, we should over pay by $4-5 million dollars for a #2 WR?

I'm not opposed to getting a #2 in FA, but that's more because a #2 WR is one of the few positions that we can fill in FA. That said, I would like a $4-6 million dollar #2 to be a stop-gap and not a permanent solution. It sure would be nice to be able to do what other teams do, and have a #2 WR on his rookie contract making less than a million per season.

What part of, "Cheap enough", did you extract, "over-pay by $4-5 million", from?

What do you think the league average for a true #2 is? I'll tell you for sure, it's over $3 million. FWIW, we're paying Nate around $6.

And what does that have anything to do with you reading , " over-pay by $4-5 Million", into what I said?

If we drafted a #2 we would be paying him less than $1 million dollars per year. If we sign a FA we're going to be paying $3-5 million more per year than a #2 WR on his rookie contract.

January 25th, 2013, 1:38 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
If we drafted a #2 we would be paying him less than $1 million dollars per year. If we sign a FA we're going to be paying $3-5 million more per year than a #2 WR on his rookie contract.

Soooooooooo.... By your own admission, $3-5 Million is normal for a #2 WR. That is not over paying. No matter how you spin it. Yes, it is more expensive than a drafted rookie. But, it is not over paying. And we could still use the draft pick on another need.

January 25th, 2013, 1:47 pm
NFL Veteran

Johnny Knox could be a good cheap option to take a chance on if he can come back from his back injury. He probably wont get any big offers and if he makes a full recovery you get a return man and someone that can blow the top off of the coverage.

January 25th, 2013, 1:50 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Soooooooooo.... By your own admission, $3-5 Million is normal for a #2 WR. That is not over paying. No matter how you spin it. Yes, it is more expensive than a drafted rookie. But, it is not over paying. And we could still use the draft pick on another need.

It's overpaying what we COULD fill the position with if we COULD manage our guys properly, that's the point. You want to mask a symptom and not address the problem.

There's one pool of money that everyone draws from, you need to be able to fill those positions as cheaply as possible. We have arguably the best WR in the league, and he should make the job of every WR under him easier. We should be like N.O. use to be when they had Meechem and Colsoton together, a revolving door of successful WRs, not because the players are great, but because they're put in a great position to succeed. We SHOULD be able to save money on a #2 WR because CJ is so great, but we can't, because our FO and staff are inept.

January 25th, 2013, 1:51 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

It's overpaying what we COULD fill the position with if we COULD manage our guys properly, that's the point. You want to mask a symptom and not address the problem.

There's one pool of money that everyone draws from, you need to be able to fill those positions as cheaply as possible. We have arguably the best WR in the league, and he should make the job of every WR under him easier. We should be like N.O. use to be when they had Meechem and Colsoton together, a revolving door of successful WRs, not because the players are great, but because they're put in a great position to succeed. We SHOULD be able to save money on a #2 WR because CJ is so great, but we can't, because our FO and staff are inept.

You argue in circles like a teenage girl. ](*,)

January 25th, 2013, 1:54 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

You argue in circles like a teenage girl. ](*,)

Where's the circle? Where have I said anything but what I wrote above?

January 25th, 2013, 1:56 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

January 25th, 2013, 2:39 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Because you like to put your head in the sand, be a casual fan, and not think about the real problems of the team?

Or because I wasn't right last offseason when I said we shouldn't keep guys like C Williams, and Nate around, and we should spend that $11 million elsewhere?

I don't think you can make a case against the 2nd point, at all.

January 25th, 2013, 2:48 pm
RIP Killer

I'm about done with Sr., you?

ESPN wrote:
Titus Young continues Twitter rant

Detroit Lions wide receiver Titus Young continued his quest to get released by the team Friday by once again taking to Twitter to voice his displeasure with the organization.

After lashing out on the social media site earlier this week when he threatened to never play football again, Young directed more thoughts at the team about his unhappiness.

"Oh I'm not done, if y'all going to cut me let me go. I'm tired of the threats," Young tweeted.

Young shortly followed with a another tweet that stated: "Never needed the money Give me a dollar and a ball bet I come back #HallofFame"

It has been a tumultous two-year tenure for Young, who has been sent home by the team on three different occasions -- once for punching teammate Louis Delmas during an offseason workout program, then twice for repeated insubordinate behavior.

In November, Young allegedly lined up in the wrong position on purpose in a game against Green Bay, something he later denied. Coach Jim Schwartz deemed Young's behavior "unacceptable."

In a since-deleted tweet from earlier this week, Young also said he would retire if he didn't have more passes thrown his way. The 2011 second-round pick had 33 catches this past season and 81 in 26 career games.

"Like I said I never been selfish but if I'm not going to get the football i don't want to play anymore," Young wrote.

Schwartz addressed Young's tweets earlier this week at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

"Every offensive player wants the football, and there are good ways to go about getting that and not so good ways about trying to get that done. This is a pretty good example of a not-so-good way," Schwartz told the team's website.

"We obviously still have some ground to cover there."

January 25th, 2013, 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
I'm about done with Sr., you?

ESPN wrote:
Titus Young continues Twitter rant

Detroit Lions wide receiver Titus Young continued his quest to get released by the team Friday by once again taking to Twitter to voice his displeasure with the organization.

After lashing out on the social media site earlier this week when he threatened to never play football again, Young directed more thoughts at the team about his unhappiness.

"Oh I'm not done, if y'all going to cut me let me go. I'm tired of the threats," Young tweeted.

Young shortly followed with a another tweet that stated: "Never needed the money Give me a dollar and a ball bet I come back #HallofFame"

It has been a tumultous two-year tenure for Young, who has been sent home by the team on three different occasions -- once for punching teammate Louis Delmas during an offseason workout program, then twice for repeated insubordinate behavior.

In November, Young allegedly lined up in the wrong position on purpose in a game against Green Bay, something he later denied. Coach Jim Schwartz deemed Young's behavior "unacceptable."

In a since-deleted tweet from earlier this week, Young also said he would retire if he didn't have more passes thrown his way. The 2011 second-round pick had 33 catches this past season and 81 in 26 career games.

"Like I said I never been selfish but if I'm not going to get the football i don't want to play anymore," Young wrote.

Schwartz addressed Young's tweets earlier this week at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

"Every offensive player wants the football, and there are good ways to go about getting that and not so good ways about trying to get that done. This is a pretty good example of a not-so-good way," Schwartz told the team's website.

"We obviously still have some ground to cover there."

I've already read all of this. How is it inappropriate? He's just saying "stop threatening to cut me, go ahead and do it," and he admits that he's not willing to "retire" like some on here suggested, just that he's done with the Lion's BS. I don't blame him. I don't think he's going to go somewhere and be a #1, but I do think he will put up great stats and be much happier somewhere that's more apt to use him properly. IMO Mayhew is afraid that he's going to cut him and Chicago is going to pick him up. He'd be fine being a #2 to Marshal, and they'll target him 7-10 times a game. He'll get his chances in Chicago, and if he can keep his head on straight, he'll burn us twice a year, guaranteed.

January 25th, 2013, 4:21 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

He's cancer, and won't be back. Probably will be traded, either on or shortly before the draft. He does have value, but I doubt we get much for him.

January 25th, 2013, 4:30 pm
RIP Killer

It is inappropriate to rant for the entire world to see, especially given his dubious track record to this point and tenuous standing with his employer. It is also stupid, this idiot is flushing future contract money down the toilet.

Actually it was Titus who brought up retiring on Twitter - and has since taken it down.

Titus on Twitter wrote:
Like I said I never been selfish but if I’m not going to get the football i don’t want to play anymore

This kid just drips with immaturity despite adding the "Sr." to the back of his uniform.

TO's issues without the talent, no thanks and to blame the organzation is downright silly - the offense has a lot of receiving targets.

January 25th, 2013, 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
It is inappropriate to rant for the entire world to see, especially given his dubious track record to this point and tenuous standing with his employer. It is also stupid, this idiot is flushing future contract money down the toilet.

Actually it was Titus who brought up retiring on Twitter - and has since taken it down.

Titus on Twitter wrote:
Like I said I never been selfish but if I’m not going to get the football i don’t want to play anymore

This kid just drips with immaturity despite adding the "Sr." to the back of his uniform.

TO's issues without the talent, no thanks and to blame the organzation is downright silly - the offense has a lot of receiving targets.

He said he would "retire" and said he "would be back," it's pretty plain to see that he just meant that he wouldn't play for the Lions again, not that he would never play football again.

I agree that he's an immature punk, but we're not blameless in this ordeal, and all of our blame doesn't rest with our drafting him in the first place.

January 25th, 2013, 4:46 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

His biggest issues are that he's an undisciplined route runner and is too weak to consistantly beat jams and not be re-routed. If he's going up against soft off man or zone coverage but he just is not a good WR whenit comes to using his rorutte running to get seperation. With a lot of the WRs in the last ten years or so a big part has been poor coaching and I've been complaining about how poorly the Lion's receivers runroutes and are rarely as open as you see WRs on almost evey other team. With that said I think Titus is a 50/50 propositionof poor coaching and an attitude of greatness that hasn't been earned and just isn't there.

January 25th, 2013, 5:00 pm
QB Coach

Suh needs a stomp buddy and Titus needs a spanking, so why do we ask the coaching staff to clear out a towel room, and let the two play?

It's a complete shame what this team is coming to when we had SO much promise after 11. CJ took the RC to Hawaii, Burleson was singing the praises of Megatron, the team actually had some heart, and now it appears that it was all smoke and mirrors. It wasn't heart, it was HYPE!

All that talent, and big mouth, can't he just shut up, man up, and play ball?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

January 25th, 2013, 5:00 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next