View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 6:11 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next
 Lions place Titus Young on IR 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR
My point wasn't trying to say Titus wasn't a good receiver, it was that our WR coaching has been poop. None of our receivers really get open or create separation, except Broyles and he had that knack in college as well. In Broyles first start after Nate went down, he had a huge game because he got open. Titus was on the field, as was Pett, so it wasn't Stafford having progression problems.

January 26th, 2013, 10:53 am
QB Coach

"The Detroit Lions had a disappointing year that started with a rough offseason that featured some player arrests. A lot of criticism for a lack of discipline on and off the field has been dished out at the Lions' players, coaching staff and front office. After speaking with sources, they reveal that the Lions locker room did a good job of staying united overall. Sources said that the players generally got along well and didn't turn on each other.

They said the only expectations were wide receiver Titus Young and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. Sources said Young has to get his head on straight before he gets bounced out of the league. Suh is said to be a diva, jerk and a bad teammate who is disliked. The Lions will be under the gun to turn things around in 2013 with a lot of people's jobs on the line. There will probably less forgiving attitudes towards Suh and Young in the months to come. "

from walterfootball Senior Bowl rumor mill. Not good that Suh is being mentioned in the same vein as Titus. Wonder if he'll be on the trade block this off-season?

January 27th, 2013, 11:26 pm
Butkus Award Winner

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
"The Detroit Lions had a disappointing year that started with a rough offseason that featured some player arrests. A lot of criticism for a lack of discipline on and off the field has been dished out at the Lions' players, coaching staff and front office. After speaking with sources, they reveal that the Lions locker room did a good job of staying united overall. Sources said that the players generally got along well and didn't turn on each other.

They said the only expectations were wide receiver Titus Young and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. Sources said Young has to get his head on straight before he gets bounced out of the league. Suh is said to be a diva, jerk and a bad teammate who is disliked. The Lions will be under the gun to turn things around in 2013 with a lot of people's jobs on the line. There will probably less forgiving attitudes towards Suh and Young in the months to come. "

from walterfootball Senior Bowl rumor mill. Not good that Suh is being mentioned in the same vein as Titus. Wonder if he'll be on the trade block this off-season?

I honestly wouldn't mind much if Suh was traded. Fairley is almost as good and has an extremely high ceiling, Suh gets driving tickets all the time, can't control himself on the field, is overpaid, and hasn't improved since his rookie season. If we could get a 6th and 2nd round from Titus & Suh, that'd be amazing.

January 27th, 2013, 11:34 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Wanting to get rid of Suh makes me flash back to 06/07 when people wanted to get rid of Shaun Rogers (we all saw how that worked out...). The Lions defense would be a joke without him.

January 27th, 2013, 11:51 pm
QB Coach

I don't want him to get traded, I'm just wondering if it could be in the works. He's got a big contract and if he's causing problems in the locker room...

January 27th, 2013, 11:54 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Blueskies wrote:
Wanting to get rid of Suh makes me flash back to 06/07 when people wanted to get rid of Shaun Rogers (we all saw how that worked out...). The Lions defense would be a joke without him.

There'd need to be a huge plan to move on without him. IMO, a 3-4 switch would be best, and Anthony Spencer is a free agent.

January 28th, 2013, 12:13 am
Blueskies wrote:

Suh is gone in 2 years anyhow, and we didn't have a player as good as Fairly when we got rid of Rogers. What did Rogers do that was so great after leaving here?

Part of the problem was we got rid of Redding and Rogers, and got virtually nothing for them.

January 28th, 2013, 12:15 am
RIP Killer

Now, when TO starts calling you out, well....

Quote:
Terrell Owens says Detroit Lions' Titus Young needs to stop being selfish

It's come to this.

Infamously disruptive teammate Terrell Owens is telling Detroit Lions' wide receiver Titus Young he needs to be a better teammate.

Asked about Young's situation while attending a PBA tour event in Allen Park, Owens' response short and sweet.

"He has to understand that Calvin (Johnson is) the No. 1 receiver, and being the No. 2 receiver, you have to go with the flow of the offense, and when your time comes, make the plays," Owens told the Detroit News.

There you have it. Owens believes Young needs to stop being selfish.

Owens, a third-round draft pick out of Chattanooga in 1996, knows something about playing second fiddle to start a career. For his first two seasons in San Francisco, Owens was the No. 2 option in San Francisco before overtaking the legendary Jerry Rice.

Owen went on to be one of the most productive receivers in NFL history. He is one of just eight players to catch more than 1,000 passes. He ranks second in career receiving yardage and third in touchdowns, behind only Rice and Randy Moss.

But beyond Owens on-field success, it was his antics on the sideline and off-the-field that often made the biggest headlines. He publicly questioned his coaches and quarterbacks on a number of occasions. While holding out for a bigger contract in Philadelphia, he conducted interviews with reporters while doing sit-ups in his driveway.

Young's not exactly doing sit-ups in his driveway, but his recent Twitter rants threatening retirement and begging to be cut are similar as public spectacles.

Owens' comments echo sentiments previously expressed by veteran Lions receiver Nate Burleson, who has repeatedly said the key to Young succeeding in Detroit is learning to complement Johnson.

"He comes in and he wants to be the man, he wants to shine," Burleson said about Young. "He feels like he can help the team any given play. He's an I'm-always-open guy and I like that about his personality. It's just when you're playing with (Calvin Johnson), you have to adjust. You never heard (Scottie) Pippen saying, 'Let me lead the team in scoring.' It's (Michael) Jordan's show."

January 28th, 2013, 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Quote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/01/detroit_lions_wr_titus_young_i.html

NEW ORLEANS -- Detroit Lions receiver Titus Young has alienated himself from coaches, the front office, and teammates by his constant acts of insubordination.

However, former Pro Football Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin is not convinced Young is a lost cause.

Young was sent home from the team three times in a six-month period last year. He followed up those acts with several recent statements on Twitter that offended most within the Lions organization. It is unclear how the organization plans to get Young on the same page this offseason.

Irvin does not approve of Young's destructive actions, but said the receiver has the opportunity to mature during a Super Bowl Media Day interview.

"This is a team sport," said Irvin, an NFL Network analyst. "It's a team game. He has to understand you're important to this team, but understand that this team has to be important to you. Titus, you're getting so many opportunities because of the guy on the other side (Calvin Johnson). So many opportunities because of the guy on the other side. Let's not forget that. Let's not start talking about how great we are without talking about how great the guys are around us. We're talking about getting ready for this game.

"Check out Titus in about four or five more years when the realities of this game smack him dead in his face, and maturity comes about, just like we talked about with Randy Moss. That's why this game goes nowhere, because it teaches young men how to become grown men. That's what we'll be looking for in Titus in these next few years."

Young may mature one day, but is not there right now.

He recently threatened management on his Twitter account after posting: "Oh I'm not done, if y'all going to cut me let me go. I'm tired of the threats". Young later followed that Tweet by stating, "Never needed the money Give me a dollar and a ball bet I come back #HallofFame"

Young previously threatened not to play football when he wrote, "Like I said I never been selfish but if I'm not going to get the football i don't want to play anymore". He also posted: "Never have I ran the wrong route, just put my self where the ball was going"

Prior to Young's tweets, he sucker-punched teammate Louis Delmas during offseason workouts, and was sent home after intentionally inserting himself into the wrong position against the Green Bay Packers because he wanted the ball.

"I've always said your greatest asset is your greatest liability," Irvin said. "Trust me, I know this. His greatest asset is he's fought through a lot to get to where he is. He's overcome a lot to get to where he is. You learn to fight when you're like him, and come from where he's come from, and overcome things.

"You learn to fight, but sometimes you're fighting when you need not to fight. That great asset in this situation becomes a liability."

January 31st, 2013, 2:37 am
Veteran General Manager

Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I honestly wouldn't mind much if Suh was traded. Fairley is almost as good and has an extremely high ceiling, Suh gets driving tickets all the time, can't control himself on the field, is overpaid, and hasn't improved since his rookie season. If we could get a 6th and 2nd round from Titus & Suh, that'd be amazing.

So, you want to buy high and sell low? You aren't a businessman are you? If you are, you won't remain in business long.

January 31st, 2013, 11:56 am
Butkus Award Winner

BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

So, you want to buy high and sell low? You aren't a businessman are you? If you are, you won't remain in business long.

What does Suh bring other than giving the other guys on the d line 1v1s often? He gets a bunch of tickets, ruins his teams reputation with his childish play, an will cost astronomical numbers once his contract is up. Why not save the money, reputation, and chance of losing him for nothing and get a good pick f or it?

January 31st, 2013, 12:15 pm
Veteran General Manager

Shotty wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

What does Suh bring other than giving the other guys on the d line 1v1s often? He gets a bunch of tickets, ruins his teams reputation with his childish play, an will cost astronomical numbers once his contract is up. Why not save the money, reputation, and chance of losing him for nothing and get a good pick f or it?

What Suh brings does not always show up in your stats page. Frequently, he has crushed the pocket and gotten in the QB's face and forced a bad throw. That doesn't show up in stats. Every time he forces a RB to re-route and gets tackled for a loss by some-one else... That doesn't show up on Suh's Stats.

Is Suh immature? Probably. Is he a lost cause? Not by a long shot. He has not even come close to Titus young territory yet. In short, there is still hope for Suh to get his head out of his rectum. For all the bad that has come with Suh, there has been a lot of good also.

January 31st, 2013, 12:24 pm

Shotty wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

While Suh certainly costs a ton of money now, I'm not convinced holding onto him is going to be that expensive. Assuming we have Stafford locked up by then, we can franchise him until the cows come home. Really, how much could the franchise tag for a DT be?

January 31st, 2013, 1:12 pm
Suh won't play for more than one season on a franchise tag. He'll hold out, not show up to camp, reluctantly sign the FT at the last possible minute, complain about it the whole year, disrupt the locker-room, and demand a long-term deal or trade. That's how it works. You sure you or someone in your family played for the NFL?

January 31st, 2013, 1:59 pm

Haloti Ngata had the tag back in 2011 and I think it was $12 million then. I could care less if Suh is a bad driver or that the media doesn't like him; but the Lions can't keep him or any other $12 million or more player with CJ's contract and Stafford once he signs a deal that will average $12-15 million. Well they can but the rest of the team will be average at best. If the Lions want to be real contenders for a long stretch I can't see Suh being part of that picture. I really like Suh but the financials don't work. To take that a little further if they re-sign Fairly for more than $5 million a year when his contract is up they'd be making another mistake. He's a good player but it comes in sporadic spurts and he is a guy that will always be in the trainers room or on the sideline.

I'll take a couple of big lane pluggers that occupy three blockers on every play and collapse the pocket over sack artist DTs any day. Some of the best DT duos have been guys like the Williams boys in Minny, Adams and Siragusa with Baltimore, and Adams and Williams when they were in Buffalo. Those big guys clog running lanes, collapse pockets, open up lanes for blitzers and free up the DEs to make plays.

January 31st, 2013, 2:14 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next