View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 4:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 2013 Lions Draft Wish List 
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
trade down to the 9-12 range for a 1st, 3rd, a 4th, and a 2014 2nd. Maybe someone wants BJeorn Warner or Dee Milliner(also trading away Jacob Lacy and a 2014 5th) and Sign RB-Chris Rainey

1.Xavior Rhodes(CB-FSU)
2.Bacarri Rambo(S-Georgia)
3.William Gholston(DE-MSU)
3.Barrett Jones(C-Bama)
4.John Cyprien(S-FIU)
5.Robert Alford(CB/KR-SE Louisianna)

Trade back into the 5th

5.Best DL left
6.Denard Robinson

guys who will probably be FAs:

DBs/Tyrann Matthiue, Dexter McCoil(may want him if we miss Cyprien), Cooper Taylor, Aaron Hester, Kieth McGill
DEs-Craig Roh, Devin Taylor
RBs-Onterrio McCalb, Cierre Wood, Montee Ball
WRs-Roy Roundtree,

Im a big State fan and I wouldnt burn a 3rd round pick on Gholston. He is a beast, but he wouldnt fit it on this team. Has no pass rushing skills whatsover. Im thinking a 3-4 team would want him, not a 4-3.

Somewhat agree, feel he could be coached up to be a better pass ruher, though he never showed enough at State. Wouldn't be surprised to see him flourish in the NFL, he has the tools.

Gholston would have more sacks if State used him that way more often. He crushed UofM with sacks in 2011, and he has 10 sacks in limited pass rushing duties in his last two years.

He's listed at 6'7" 278lbs. I think he's plenty big enough to play DE in the NFL. I would use a 3rd on that kid in a heartbeat ( :finger: to all that say I'm a biased UofM guy).

Montee Ball a UDFA? Uhmmm... sorry... no... The guy is a 5th round pick or better, and I would be surprised to see him on the board after the 3rd, unless he runs in the high 4.5's or worse. The guy is a beast, flat out, and he is an NFL caliber back.

That said, no one is going to give us 4 picks to move down 4-7 slots, no one... It is a wish list, but c'mon... May as well pull a Billy Sims and have us trade down two more times, and then back up from the 5th to 7th rounds a few times and have 8-9 late first to late 5th round picks...

:ppp: :cheers: :idea:

January 29th, 2013, 12:50 pm
NFL Veteran

I don't see where people even see it possible for the Lions to drop below the top 10. All the QB needy teams are either before the Lions or directly after them, so even if you traded down best you could do is maybe an extra 3rd and you would still be in spot 7-9. Now that scenario sounds good, but then you look at those teams again and they all have new coaches except the Jets, so they need as many picks as they can get to put in their systems, the Jets need as many cheap players as they can get because of cap space. Those teams will most likely stay put and hope a QB falls to them or take a player at a different need. As for someone wanting to jump up for Milliner, if the kid is so good that a team is willing to jump into the 5th spot from the teens to get him why the hell aren't the Lions taking him. If a kid is thought to be good enough for a team to throw multiple picks at the Lions to get him and he's not a QB, DT, or WR the Lions would be completely stupid to not take him themselves.

My wish list is the Lions draft 3 starters in the first 3 rounds, don't care who they are as long as they don't play QB,WR, DT, K, or P.

January 29th, 2013, 2:58 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

rao wrote:
I don't see where people even see it possible for the Lions to drop below the top 10. All the QB needy teams are either before the Lions or directly after them, so even if you traded down best you could do is maybe an extra 3rd and you would still be in spot 7-9. Now that scenario sounds good, but then you look at those teams again and they all have new coaches except the Jets, so they need as many picks as they can get to put in their systems, the Jets need as many cheap players as they can get because of cap space. Those teams will most likely stay put and hope a QB falls to them or take a player at a different need. As for someone wanting to jump up for Milliner, if the kid is so good that a team is willing to jump into the 5th spot from the teens to get him why the hell aren't the Lions taking him. If a kid is thought to be good enough for a team to throw multiple picks at the Lions to get him and he's not a QB, DT, or WR the Lions would be completely stupid to not take him themselves.

My wish list is the Lions draft 3 starters in the first 3 rounds, don't care who they are as long as they don't play QB,WR, DT, K, or P.

There are always people who shoot up during the Combine process. I remember people on here talking about how Mark Barron would be a reach for us at 23, but a great choice for a team at the top of the 2nd!

January 29th, 2013, 3:02 pm
NFL Veteran

thelomasbrowns wrote:
rao wrote:

There are always people who shoot up during the Combine process. I remember people on here talking about how Mark Barron would be a reach for us at 23, but a great choice for a team at the top of the 2nd!

I don't understand how Mark Barron relates to what I posted.

January 29th, 2013, 3:40 pm
rao wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
rao wrote:

I don't understand how Mark Barron relates to what I posted.

He's trying to suggest that a player or Qb could shoot up the draft and debunk your theory.

He's using Mark Barron, a complete reach by Tampa Bay, to suggest that a Qb or other player could make his way into the top 10 and provide a team the impetus to trade up, thus providing us with a trade partner to trade down.

January 29th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Team MVP

Absolutely. Any player that tears it up at the combine will rise up draft boards and be reached on draft day. Remember Dontari Poe?? Perfect example. SOMEONE will climb up boards due to awesome workouts and SOMEONE will reach for them. Lets just hope that SOMEONE isnt the Lions (and Damontre Moore!).

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 29th, 2013, 5:17 pm
RIP Killer

Or Matt jones. Wasn't shack the VP for player personnel for Jax when they drafted that clown?

January 29th, 2013, 7:34 pm
NFL Veteran

I understand people will move up the boards but that doesn't mean someone will trade up for them. Mark Barron was a reach but TB didn't trade up for him they actually moved down 2 spots and still reached. Again with Poe he may be a reach, but no one moved up for him the Chiefs took him at their spot. These show that just because a guy has a good combine doesn't mean it creates a trade down opportunity.

January 29th, 2013, 7:46 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I could see the Rams moving up to get Fisher, their O-line is just as bad I'd not worse than the Lions.

January 29th, 2013, 7:50 pm
Walk On

William Gholston any relation to Vernon Gholston?

wjb21ndtown wrote:
liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
trade down to the 9-12 range for a 1st, 3rd, a 4th, and a 2014 2nd. Maybe someone wants BJeorn Warner or Dee Milliner(also trading away Jacob Lacy and a 2014 5th) and Sign RB-Chris Rainey

1.Xavior Rhodes(CB-FSU)
2.Bacarri Rambo(S-Georgia)
3.William Gholston(DE-MSU)
3.Barrett Jones(C-Bama)
4.John Cyprien(S-FIU)
5.Robert Alford(CB/KR-SE Louisianna)

Trade back into the 5th

5.Best DL left
6.Denard Robinson

guys who will probably be FAs:

DBs/Tyrann Matthiue, Dexter McCoil(may want him if we miss Cyprien), Cooper Taylor, Aaron Hester, Kieth McGill
DEs-Craig Roh, Devin Taylor
RBs-Onterrio McCalb, Cierre Wood, Montee Ball
WRs-Roy Roundtree,

Im a big State fan and I wouldnt burn a 3rd round pick on Gholston. He is a beast, but he wouldnt fit it on this team. Has no pass rushing skills whatsover. Im thinking a 3-4 team would want him, not a 4-3.

Somewhat agree, feel he could be coached up to be a better pass ruher, though he never showed enough at State. Wouldn't be surprised to see him flourish in the NFL, he has the tools.

Gholston would have more sacks if State used him that way more often. He crushed UofM with sacks in 2011, and he has 10 sacks in limited pass rushing duties in his last two years.

He's listed at 6'7" 278lbs. I think he's plenty big enough to play DE in the NFL. I would use a 3rd on that kid in a heartbeat ( :finger: to all that say I'm a biased UofM guy).

Montee Ball a UDFA? Uhmmm... sorry... no... The guy is a 5th round pick or better, and I would be surprised to see him on the board after the 3rd, unless he runs in the high 4.5's or worse. The guy is a beast, flat out, and he is an NFL caliber back.

That said, no one is going to give us 4 picks to move down 4-7 slots, no one... It is a wish list, but c'mon... May as well pull a Billy Sims and have us trade down two more times, and then back up from the 5th to 7th rounds a few times and have 8-9 late first to late 5th round picks...

:ppp: :cheers: :idea:

January 30th, 2013, 6:39 pm
Team MVP

Yes, cousin I believe.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 30th, 2013, 10:02 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Any draft that includes Barrett Jones would make me extremely happy.

January 31st, 2013, 11:32 am
Walk On

kdsberman wrote:
Yes, cousin I believe.

Hope his nfl pedigree ain't the same.

January 31st, 2013, 1:36 pm
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:
Absolutely. Any player that tears it up at the combine will rise up draft boards and be reached on draft day. Remember Dontari Poe?? Perfect example. SOMEONE will climb up boards due to awesome workouts and SOMEONE will reach for them. Lets just hope that SOMEONE isnt the Lions (and Damontre Moore!).

They don't even have to tear it up at the combines. If a team is desperate for a QB, they will reach. The Viking drafting Christian Ponder at #10 overall. In a perfect world, Ponder was at best a 3rd rounder.

There are 3 teams desperate enough to reach for QB's this year. And given the track record the last 2 years with rookie QB's having success, Those teams will reach. And might even trade up so they can reach higher and get the guy they want to reach for.

Geno Smith, QB, WV --- The next Starting QB for the KC Chiefs
Mike Glennon, QB, N.C. State --- Walter Football has him in the top 8 picks consistently for the last month.
Matt Barkley, QB, USC --- Would have gone in the 1st round last year.
E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State --- Had a really good Senior Bowl
Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas --- poor Senior Bowl, but, still considered the 2nd best QB this year.

Every one of these QB's, whether they deserve a 1st round pick or not, could possibly be taken high in the 1st round.

When you are a QB, and a team needs a QB, in a QB driven league, it does not matter if you are a legitimate 1st round grade to be drafted in the 1st round.

January 31st, 2013, 2:07 pm
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

They don't even have to tear it up at the combines. If a team is desperate for a QB, they will reach. The Viking drafting Christian Ponder at #10 overall. In a perfect world, Ponder was at best a 3rd rounder.

There are 3 teams desperate enough to reach for QB's this year. And given the track record the last 2 years with rookie QB's having success, Those teams will reach. And might even trade up so they can reach higher and get the guy they want to reach for.

Geno Smith, QB, WV --- The next Starting QB for the KC Chiefs
Mike Glennon, QB, N.C. State --- Walter Football has him in the top 8 picks consistently for the last month.
Matt Barkley, QB, USC --- Would have gone in the 1st round last year.
E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State --- Had a really good Senior Bowl
Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas --- poor Senior Bowl, but, still considered the 2nd best QB this year.

Every one of these QB's, whether they deserve a 1st round pick or not, could possibly be taken high in the 1st round.

When you are a QB, and a team needs a QB, in a QB driven league, it does not matter if you are a legitimate 1st round grade to be drafted in the 1st round.

You all keep bringing up these guys that moved up the draft charts, but none of them created a trade scenario. I never said the draft boards wont change or that we won't see players drafted high that we thought would be lower. I just don't see any way the Lions can use any of the players available to create a trade that would produce a big gain in picks. I see the best case scenario to be maybe squeaking out an extra 3rd and that would be nice, but that requires one of the QBs to be just enough of a question that the first 4 teams pass and just good enough one of the 3 teams after the Browns want to leap frog them by switching with the Lions. This is a really weird year in that all the teams past pick 9 are set at QB or have a QB that they drafted recently and like. With how bad the Lions have drafted past the first round and even in the lower part of the first round over the years IMO the best thing they can do is stick with the BPA at #5 and hope Xanders can help them improve their drafting rds 2-7. In my mind the wrost thing that can happen is the Lions pass on legit talent, drop to the middle of the 1st draft another Pettegrew type player then waste the extra picks they got on a bunch of boom or bust picks like they have every draft so far. Next year when the new scouting system has a year to scout the players then they can talk about going after more picks, so far they haven't drafted a single true starter outside of the 1st rd.

January 31st, 2013, 5:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next