View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 6:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 It's Going to Come Up Sooner or Later - Darrelle Revis 
Post Re: It's Going to Come Up Sooner or Later - Darrelle Revis
Shotty wrote:
How would you rate this team?

QB: Staff
WR: CJ, Burleson, Broyles, Scheffler, maybe TY
TE: Pett, Scheff
LT: Luke Joeckel
LG: Sims
C: Raiola
RG: Nagy or 3rd round guard
RT: Riley Reiff

DE: Fairley
DT: Suh
DT: CW/SLH
DE: Lawrence Jackson
OLB: Levy
MLB: Tulloch
OLB: Tahir Whitehead
CB: Revis
CB: Bentley/Greenwood/Jonte
FS: Matt Elam
SS: Delmas

Better, but not good. We'd still need a #2 WR, 1 DE, and we'd have to resign Houston. To be a playoff caliber team. I think we can get by with one crappy LB and two mediocre LBs.

That said, I don't see a way this team can land Revis, draft Luke Joeckel, and draft Matt Elam.

January 25th, 2013, 5:41 pm
League MVP

Quote:
shotty wrote

who are the RBs?

Id maybe give them 3-13. bravo you found a way to make the team worse despite adding revis, who knows maybe it would work on Madden. fairley at DE isnt going to be all that good. lo jack is a below avg starter. corey williams is declining and cant start, slh is only good in spurts. levy is at best average but i think he s below. tahir whitehead might be worse. bentley/greenwood/jonte all are either injured or have been pretty bad. elam, who knows and delmas is good but he s really injured and that means don carey or ricardo silva. Joeckel helps on offense but nagy is a big ? and we still have the same lack of quality weapons for Stafford outside of Calvin Johnson.

January 25th, 2013, 5:48 pm
Butkus Award Winner

The Legend wrote:
Quote:
shotty wrote

who are the RBs?

Id maybe give them 3-13. bravo you found a way to make the team worse despite adding revis, who knows maybe it would work on Madden. fairley at DE isnt going to be all that good. lo jack is a below avg starter. corey williams is declining and cant start, slh is only good in spurts. levy is at best average but i think he s below. tahir whitehead might be worse. bentley/greenwood/jonte all are either injured or have been pretty bad. elam, who knows and delmas is good but he s really injured and that means don carey or ricardo silva. Joeckel helps on offense but nagy is a big ? and we still have the same lack of quality weapons for Stafford outside of Calvin Johnson.

Just thinking about how the team would probably be like in a few years if we got Revis since the money we'd have to pay him.

January 25th, 2013, 6:02 pm
If we get Revis, I don't see it being a long-term proposition.

I see Revis as a stop-gap that could help lead and teach our younger DBs how to cover. I think Revis is a move to get back to respectability with the intent of letting him walk after next season. I think we tell him that too... Tell him we'll give you X amount per year for X years going forward ($12 mill per, for 4 years?), but if you're not happy with that, it's fine. We're going to put you in the best position to showcase your talents and prove your worth to another team.

With Revis, an LT at #5, a FA WR, an FA DL man (if we can land a DT we could move Suh to DE) I think we could be ok. We would be letting Avril walk, and looking for DE help and FS/SS help later in the draft. I would also love to land Porter in FA. I think he would come cheap, and we would be stacked and ready at CB for 2014-2016.

I think that line-up gets us back to respectability, we let Revis walk after 2013 and grooming our younger CBs, and free up some money for FAs and to keep CJ and Staff together.

I think that gets us to 8-8 with a chance to go 9-7 and possibly make the playoffs.

January 25th, 2013, 6:17 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Trading Suh for Revis is an absolutely ridiculous proposition. Suh is 26 in his physical prime, and our premier pass rusher. Even if you believed that Suh isnt worth his cap number, hes still in the top 2 of interior pass rushers. Revis is two years older, at a position where there's a general dropoff at age 30 anyway. With the injury, hes no longer in his physical peak, either, and theres an uncertainty as far as his standing as an elite corner.

February 1st, 2013, 5:10 am
dh86 wrote:
Trading Suh for Revis is an absolutely ridiculous proposition. Suh is 26 in his physical prime, and our premier pass rusher. Even if you believed that Suh isnt worth his cap number, hes still in the top 2 of interior pass rushers. Revis is two years older, at a position where there's a general dropoff at age 30 anyway. With the injury, hes no longer in his physical peak, either, and theres an uncertainty as far as his standing as an elite corner.

Revis is one only year older than Suh, at least according to 97.1 (Revis is 27).

The injury is a concern, but it's obviously pending medical clearance. Also, like I said, it would be a one year proposition. I don't think Revis would re-sign in Detroit, but I don't think Suh will either. It's Revis for one or Suh for two in my book.

The reason I think it makes sense is because Suh may be one of the best pass rushing DTs in the NFL, but he's not great at plugging gaps and stopping the run. Our rush D is horrible, and he's part of the problem. He's a "me first" locker room cancer, and we have 2 starting caliber DTs on this roster now (Fairly and Hill), and our CBs are descimated.

February 1st, 2013, 11:59 am
Butkus Award Winner

dh86 wrote:

I'd agree with everything if Suh wasn't already arrested, the most penalized DT since 2010, getting tickets all the time, etc. Revis is a good person off the field and on it and plays a position that we're non-existent at.

February 1st, 2013, 12:09 pm
RIP Killer

I remember when everyone was excited to get rid of Shaun Rogers. He didn't give 100% every play, etc. Man our DT play sucked the next year and going 0-16 was pretty painful...

February 1st, 2013, 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I can't believe some of you would even consider the notion of giving up on Suh after he had a pretty good year, without many of the "stupid" penalties of the previous seasons, for a CB coming off an ACL injury and whose skills are clearly beginning to decline. I'd rather work on getting someone better to replace Avril, who is clearly a slightly above average DE but wants elite money, rather than getting a premier CB on the wrong side of 30 who is looking to make his last big payday.

February 1st, 2013, 4:11 pm
m2karateman wrote:
I can't believe some of you would even consider the notion of giving up on Suh after he had a pretty good year, without many of the "stupid" penalties of the previous seasons, for a CB coming off an ACL injury and whose skills are clearly beginning to decline. I'd rather work on getting someone better to replace Avril, who is clearly a slightly above average DE but wants elite money, rather than getting a premier CB on the wrong side of 30 who is looking to make his last big payday.

You do realize that Suh is scheduled to make $17 million PER YEAR for the next two years, right? After making that money do you think he's going to settle for less than $15 million per year in a long-term contact? And there have been several reports that he's a locker room cancer, and his sideline and game time antics suggest they're true. No one, not one person has came out in defense of Suh, and that says something too.

So, you want to keep an over-paid, premadonna, cry baby, locker room cancer, because he had a "pretty good year"?

Are you referring to Revis being "the wrong side of 30? Revis is 27, Suh is 26, there really isn't much of an age difference, and I don't think either is signable long-term at this point.

February 1st, 2013, 4:26 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

You do realize that Suh is scheduled to make $17 million PER YEAR for the next two years, right? After making that money do you think he's going to settle for less than $15 million per year in a long-term contact? And there have been several reports that he's a locker room cancer, and his sideline and game time antics suggest they're true. No one, not one person has came out in defense of Suh, and that says something too.

So, you want to keep an over-paid, premadonna, cry baby, locker room cancer, because he had a "pretty good year"?

Are you referring to Revis being "the wrong side of 30? Revis is 27, Suh is 26, there really isn't much of an age difference, and I don't think either is signable long-term at this point.

First off, I thought Revis was born in '82 not '85. My mistake.

As for Suh and his contract for the next two years....that's a boatload of money. HOWEVER...it's still less per season than what Revis would want. You say reports are that he's a primadonna and a locker room cancer. Show me those reports, because I haven't seen it. Produce some stories by a number of sources stating he is stirring up trouble in the locker room, and I'll buy that. Until then, I think you are just trying to give credence to your position.

So...if neither is worthy of a long term deal, you'd rather pay Revis over $40M for two seasons (I'd say he would want about $20M or more per) rather than pay Suh his $20M or so, since the Lions are on the hook for his signing bonus no matter what? Sorry, but that makes no financial sense. And I really don't think it improves the defense that dramatically, since most of our issues lie with the defensive ends and safety spots.

February 1st, 2013, 4:51 pm
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

First off, I thought Revis was born in '82 not '85. My mistake.

As for Suh and his contract for the next two years....that's a boatload of money. HOWEVER...it's still less per season than what Revis would want. You say reports are that he's a primadonna and a locker room cancer. Show me those reports, because I haven't seen it. Produce some stories by a number of sources stating he is stirring up trouble in the locker room, and I'll buy that. Until then, I think you are just trying to give credence to your position.

So...if neither is worthy of a long term deal, you'd rather pay Revis over $40M for two seasons (I'd say he would want about $20M or more per) rather than pay Suh his $20M or so, since the Lions are on the hook for his signing bonus no matter what? Sorry, but that makes no financial sense. And I really don't think it improves the defense that dramatically, since most of our issues lie with the defensive ends and safety spots.

Revis has one year left on his deal for $6 million dollars that we would be responsible for. Suh will make $34 million in the next two seasons. The Jets would eat Revis' SB and we would eat Suh's.

Regarding story of Suh being a locker room cancer... Where have you been? There have been at least 6 stories in the last two months about the guy. Check M-Live if you want more.

February 1st, 2013, 5:25 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

wjb21ndtown wrote:
dh86 wrote:

Revis is one only year older than Suh, at least according to 97.1 (Revis is 27).

The injury is a concern, but it's obviously pending medical clearance. Also, like I said, it would be a one year proposition. I don't think Revis would re-sign in Detroit, but I don't think Suh will either. It's Revis for one or Suh for two in my book.

The reason I think it makes sense is because Suh may be one of the best pass rushing DTs in the NFL, but he's not great at plugging gaps and stopping the run. Our rush D is horrible, and he's part of the problem. He's a "me first" locker room cancer, and we have 2 starting caliber DTs on this roster now (Fairly and Hill), and our CBs are descimated.

Revis is threatening his second contract holdout as it is with the Jets, so I can't call Suh any more of a cancer. Revis is 28 opening day, and Suh will still be 26. Now 28 is still a cornerback's prime, but in Revis circumstance what's the chances of him being what he was in 2009? He had a drop off before the knee injury. Suh is the more valuable and reliable commodity. If Suh wants to leave in two years staying in the state he's in physically, he'll resigned or franchised and dealt for great picks. The Jets had an anemic pass rush the last two years and Revis wasn't so effective to be worth QB money, why duplicate that here?

February 1st, 2013, 10:22 pm
dh86 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
dh86 wrote:

Revis is threatening his second contract holdout as it is with the Jets, so I can't call Suh any more of a cancer. Revis is 28 opening day, and Suh will still be 26. Now 28 is still a cornerback's prime, but in Revis circumstance what's the chances of him being what he was in 2009? He had a drop off before the knee injury. Suh is the more valuable and reliable commodity. If Suh wants to leave in two years staying in the state he's in physically, he'll resigned or franchised and dealt for great picks. The Jets had an anemic pass rush the last two years and Revis wasn't so effective to be worth QB money, why duplicate that here?

I've said all along if we did get Revis it would be a one-year proposition. I look at Revis more as renting a star player that could have some lasting effect on the guys he plays with, rather than a long-term solution at CB. Revis' value doesn't come from his ability to mentor, but rather his ability to get us a star player in exchange for another star player that we need to get rid of for cap reasons.

FWIW I would much rather have a first round pick for Suh, but if we traded him to get Revis for a season I wouldn't be disappointed.

If we wait until we're tagging Suh to trade him we won't get much for him. Much like the Cliff Avril situation any team trading for him will worry about the long-term deal. Avril's current trade value is in the toilet.

February 1st, 2013, 10:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2