View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 3:44 pm



Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 2013 Lions Draft Wish List 
Author Message
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
I can easily see Fisher saying he needs a LT and moving up for Fisher. They have two 1st this year that are relatively close to value on the trade chart. If Fisher wants to keep that later pick they can give the Lions their 1st rounder next year. To help cement the deal I'd throw in Young because they need WR help badly and even flip flop 2nd round picks.


January 31st, 2013, 7:51 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3335
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
sweetd20 wrote:
I can easily see Fisher saying he needs a LT and moving up for Fisher. They have two 1st this year that are relatively close to value on the trade chart. If Fisher wants to keep that later pick they can give the Lions their 1st rounder next year. To help cement the deal I'd throw in Young because they need WR help badly and even flip flop 2nd round picks.


That was the most confusing post haha. Took me like 5 minutes to realize you're referring to Jeff and Eric.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


January 31st, 2013, 8:04 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7317
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Absolutely. Any player that tears it up at the combine will rise up draft boards and be reached on draft day. Remember Dontari Poe?? Perfect example. SOMEONE will climb up boards due to awesome workouts and SOMEONE will reach for them. Lets just hope that SOMEONE isnt the Lions (and Damontre Moore!).


They don't even have to tear it up at the combines. If a team is desperate for a QB, they will reach. The Viking drafting Christian Ponder at #10 overall. In a perfect world, Ponder was at best a 3rd rounder.

There are 3 teams desperate enough to reach for QB's this year. And given the track record the last 2 years with rookie QB's having success, Those teams will reach. And might even trade up so they can reach higher and get the guy they want to reach for.

Geno Smith, QB, WV --- The next Starting QB for the KC Chiefs
Mike Glennon, QB, N.C. State --- Walter Football has him in the top 8 picks consistently for the last month.
Matt Barkley, QB, USC --- Would have gone in the 1st round last year.
E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State --- Had a really good Senior Bowl
Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas --- poor Senior Bowl, but, still considered the 2nd best QB this year.

Every one of these QB's, whether they deserve a 1st round pick or not, could possibly be taken high in the 1st round.

When you are a QB, and a team needs a QB, in a QB driven league, it does not matter if you are a legitimate 1st round grade to be drafted in the 1st round.


You all keep bringing up these guys that moved up the draft charts, but none of them created a trade scenario. I never said the draft boards wont change or that we won't see players drafted high that we thought would be lower. I just don't see any way the Lions can use any of the players available to create a trade that would produce a big gain in picks. I see the best case scenario to be maybe squeaking out an extra 3rd and that would be nice, but that requires one of the QBs to be just enough of a question that the first 4 teams pass and just good enough one of the 3 teams after the Browns want to leap frog them by switching with the Lions. This is a really weird year in that all the teams past pick 9 are set at QB or have a QB that they drafted recently and like. With how bad the Lions have drafted past the first round and even in the lower part of the first round over the years IMO the best thing they can do is stick with the BPA at #5 and hope Xanders can help them improve their drafting rds 2-7. In my mind the wrost thing that can happen is the Lions pass on legit talent, drop to the middle of the 1st draft another Pettegrew type player then waste the extra picks they got on a bunch of boom or bust picks like they have every draft so far. Next year when the new scouting system has a year to scout the players then they can talk about going after more picks, so far they haven't drafted a single true starter outside of the 1st rd.


Until the combines are completed and the final rankings are in, It is fruitless to even hazard a guess on a trade scenario.


January 31st, 2013, 9:22 pm
Profile
Online
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3177
Location: Maryland
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
Been doing some research and these are some guys I've been looking into.

We trade down with the Bills to #8 so they can jump the Cards and take Geno Smith. Why don't they trade with Cleveland? The Browns asked for too much. We get their third and fourth rounders this year and maybe something next year. It's for a QB so they should be willing to pay a bit, but not Cleveland's asking price.

#8 Kenny Vaccaro S (maybe Chance Warmack but I feel a guard can be found easier than a safety)

#36 Desmond Trufant CB (in another post I said I see him going in the 20s but since it's a wish list, he falls to us)

#65 DE – not sure which one I want at this spot. Was looking into Tank Carradine but with that late season ACL tear I’m a bit scared off. He was getting a late first early second consideration before the injury so maybe he’d be worth it. The other DE projected around this spot, Goodman, is more of a run defender than a pass rusher.

#71 Sean Porter OLB or Gerald Hodges OLB - either should be able to step right in and take over for whichever FA LB we don't re-sign

#102 David Quessenberry OL (part because of the name, part because of his versatility. His stock is rising from the Sr. Bowl he could play guard, center or possibly RT for us.)

#130ish(compensatory) Ray Graham RB – change of pace back, good hands, previous ACL injury a bit of a concern

#138ish Marcus Davis WR – Has elite size and speed to fill in as the #2WR but hasn’t put it all together yet. He’s worth a pick this late to bolster our WR corps

#170ish Joe Kruger DE – He’ll likely end up going higher than this but he’s a good run defender and a decent pass rusher. Brother Paul was the Ravens 2nd round pick a few years ago.

#200ish and #230ish best available maybe a center, CB/KR or WR/KR


February 3rd, 2013, 4:03 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
Here are the positions I hope they Lions address, not necessarily in this order, though I wouldn't hate it if it came down this way.

DE
S
C/G
WR
CB
RB

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 4th, 2013, 2:23 pm
Profile
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
Wayne Fontes wrote:
Here are the positions I hope they Lions address, not necessarily in this order, though I wouldn't hate it if it came down this way.

DE
S
C/G
WR
CB
RB


Where do you see LT?

I'd rather we sign FA RB, CB, and WR, so we can concentrate on LT and DE in rds 1 and 2.


February 4th, 2013, 7:06 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10288
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
I'd like, currently in this order:
LT
C
S (draft and FA)
CB (FA)
OLB (FA)
DE
RG (FA)
WR/KR

I'd love to have Ed reed as a FA, since I can't see where they'll get the money to franchise flacco and keep boldin (especially after his playoff run). Reed is too expensive. Do a 2 year deal and draft a young guy. Reed is an excellent commander of the defense, a leader, and doesn't tolerate people blowing assignments. Just what the defense needs. Plus, he's still got some skill left.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


February 4th, 2013, 8:09 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1050
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
The way I see it, if there is a LT there at 5, whether it's Joeckel or Fisher, pull the trigger. If the Tackle they want is gone, then look at the DE's.


February 4th, 2013, 8:11 pm
Profile
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
conversion02 wrote:
I'd like, currently in this order:
LT
C
S (draft and FA)
CB (FA)
OLB (FA)
DE
RG (FA)
WR/KR

I'd love to have Ed reed as a FA, since I can't see where they'll get the money to franchise flacco and keep boldin (especially after his playoff run). Reed is too expensive. Do a 2 year deal and draft a young guy. Reed is an excellent commander of the defense, a leader, and doesn't tolerate people blowing assignments. Just what the defense needs. Plus, he's still got some skill left.


What do you think we do at DE? Sign Avril and over-pay? Cut KVB? Go with a 6th round rookie, LoJack and Young?

Baltimore is going to get around $5 mill in relief from Lewis retiring, and I can see them signing Flacco long-term costing them around $10 million next year. They're doing great with Torrey Smith only making around $800k next year. Flacco cost them $8 million last year, I think they'll be able to sign him for a $12-15 mill average and pay him around $10 next year.

Bolden made $7.5 last year, and Ed Reed made $10. I don't see either guy getting a huge pay increase, but they are going to have to be creative or go really long-term with someone that they probably shouldn't in order to keep that team together.


February 4th, 2013, 8:29 pm
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1353
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
I'd like, currently in this order:
LT
C
S (draft and FA)
CB (FA)
OLB (FA)
DE
RG (FA)
WR/KR

I'd love to have Ed reed as a FA, since I can't see where they'll get the money to franchise flacco and keep boldin (especially after his playoff run). Reed is too expensive. Do a 2 year deal and draft a young guy. Reed is an excellent commander of the defense, a leader, and doesn't tolerate people blowing assignments. Just what the defense needs. Plus, he's still got some skill left.


What do you think we do at DE? Sign Avril and over-pay? Cut KVB? Go with a 6th round rookie, LoJack and Young?

Baltimore is going to get around $5 mill in relief from Lewis retiring, and I can see them signing Flacco long-term costing them around $10 million next year. They're doing great with Torrey Smith only making around $800k next year. Flacco cost them $8 million last year, I think they'll be able to sign him for a $12-15 mill average and pay him around $10 next year.

Bolden made $7.5 last year, and Ed Reed made $10. I don't see either guy getting a huge pay increase, but they are going to have to be creative or go really long-term with someone that they probably shouldn't in order to keep that team together.


Reed has said he wants to coach after he retires and the owner for Baltimore said he would offer him a spot on their staff the moment that happens. It's possible Reed could take less money to stay with Baltimore knowing that he has a job to coach after he decides to hang it up. I kinda see everyone coming back next year for them and everything probably gets worked out pretty quick. Flacco pretty much showed he a Franchise QB, so I don't think they will get to tricky and have him play on the tag.

I really hope your gut is wrong on Avril Wjb, what happens with him can really make or break the Lions for years to come.


February 4th, 2013, 9:22 pm
Profile
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
I'd like, currently in this order:
LT
C
S (draft and FA)
CB (FA)
OLB (FA)
DE
RG (FA)
WR/KR

I'd love to have Ed reed as a FA, since I can't see where they'll get the money to franchise flacco and keep boldin (especially after his playoff run). Reed is too expensive. Do a 2 year deal and draft a young guy. Reed is an excellent commander of the defense, a leader, and doesn't tolerate people blowing assignments. Just what the defense needs. Plus, he's still got some skill left.


What do you think we do at DE? Sign Avril and over-pay? Cut KVB? Go with a 6th round rookie, LoJack and Young?

Baltimore is going to get around $5 mill in relief from Lewis retiring, and I can see them signing Flacco long-term costing them around $10 million next year. They're doing great with Torrey Smith only making around $800k next year. Flacco cost them $8 million last year, I think they'll be able to sign him for a $12-15 mill average and pay him around $10 next year.

Bolden made $7.5 last year, and Ed Reed made $10. I don't see either guy getting a huge pay increase, but they are going to have to be creative or go really long-term with someone that they probably shouldn't in order to keep that team together.


Reed has said he wants to coach after he retires and the owner for Baltimore said he would offer him a spot on their staff the moment that happens. It's possible Reed could take less money to stay with Baltimore knowing that he has a job to coach after he decides to hang it up. I kinda see everyone coming back next year for them and everything probably gets worked out pretty quick. Flacco pretty much showed he a Franchise QB, so I don't think they will get to tricky and have him play on the tag.

I really hope your gut is wrong on Avril Wjb, what happens with him can really make or break the Lions for years to come.



Avril is the scariest move of the offseason. His contract has the potential to ruin this team for the next 3-4 years. I think they should tag and trade the guy. We could always pull the tag after the draft if we can't find a trade partner, but even a 3rd would be a gift at this point. Any fears of Cliff signing the FT should disappear. He wants a long-term deal and long term money. IMO letting him walk without any compensation is dumb, but I do think signing him to that long-term deal is even worse.


February 4th, 2013, 9:29 pm
Heisman Winner

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
I do not see how the Lions can buy their way out of the roster issues they face. As others have mentioned in the past and all over the board recently, they are still in cap jail in a sense and need to use some players that are not FA pickups to fill their holes. In this sense, I think the FO will be counting on some of the players on the roster today to start next season. I am confident that the guys who are at this full time could project to this offseason to see that they would be in trouble with this group of players hitting their contracts at this point. I think that perhaps the FO has plans for some of these younger guys, like Fox maybe, to play in lieu of paying the guys like Cherilus and others. Maybe Travis Lewis will play LB next year and either Levy or Durant may walk.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


February 4th, 2013, 11:05 pm
Profile
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
jrd66 wrote:
I do not see how the Lions can buy their way out of the roster issues they face. As others have mentioned in the past and all over the board recently, they are still in cap jail in a sense and need to use some players that are not FA pickups to fill their holes. In this sense, I think the FO will be counting on some of the players on the roster today to start next season. I am confident that the guys who are at this full time could project to this offseason to see that they would be in trouble with this group of players hitting their contracts at this point. I think that perhaps the FO has plans for some of these younger guys, like Fox maybe, to play in lieu of paying the guys like Cherilus and others. Maybe Travis Lewis will play LB next year and either Levy or Durant may walk.


Again, people can say I was "negative" all offseason, but I stated over and over how we could have easily saved $13 million with Avril or $23 million without Avril. People asked me what Avril did to me to make me mad, what Nate did to me to make me mad, why I hate Corey Williams, etc... None of those things are true. Now we're going to have to suck next year and "rebuild" for the next two seasons while we sort this mess out. What Mayhew did last year was utterly ridiculous.


February 4th, 2013, 11:08 pm
Heisman Winner

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
I think, and clearly we don't know since Mayhew is so silent most of the time, that he thought they had a chance to win with those guys you were wanting to offload for cap savings. I think he has since admitted that this is not the case, and it should be interesting to see what sort of moves he makes now. I think the tell will be the DE scenario. Either Avril or KVB I think will need to be shed for $$ reasons. We will see how serious the FO is in these arenas I think this offseason...

I kind of thought that last year's Tulloch contract was partly about Schwartz's affection for him, as I never thought Tulloch was all that awesome. I think he is good, just not big money good. That one kind of made me wonder about what they were thinking as far as cap issues go..

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


February 4th, 2013, 11:26 pm
Profile
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
jrd66 wrote:
I think, and clearly we don't know since Mayhew is so silent most of the time, that he thought they had a chance to win with those guys you were wanting to offload for cap savings. I think he has since admitted that this is not the case, and it should be interesting to see what sort of moves he makes now. I think the tell will be the DE scenario. Either Avril or KVB I think will need to be shed for $$ reasons. We will see how serious the FO is in these arenas I think this offseason...

I kind of thought that last year's Tulloch contract was partly about Schwartz's affection for him, as I never thought Tulloch was all that awesome. I think he is good, just not big money good. That one kind of made me wonder about what they were thinking as far as cap issues go..


Oh, no doubt that's what Mayhew was thinking. I don't know how a prudent football mind could have those thoughts (I mean, really?... paying a #3 DT $5.5 million? Not being able to see that Nate was washed up? Not being able to see that Peterman didn't deserve his paycheck (along with Dom)? Relying on Best? His poor negotiations with Avril?...) All that stuff is ridiculous, and no one can say I didn't see it coming, and that's from a complete outsider perspective.

Tulloch's contract only averages around $5 million per season. That's relatively cheap. I don't think he's great, but I think he's average, and he's paid like an average MLB.


February 4th, 2013, 11:34 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.