View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 8:17 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next
 Lions place Titus Young on IR 
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
He'd have a valid argument if he caught the balls that WERE thrown his way. He's just the typical diva WR without the talent. Sure, he has what seems like an upside, but he'll always be a slot receiver who can't be relied on.

On the flipside, his firing might be the wake up call he needed to get his act together. Maybe he'll make the most of his next opportunity, maybe he won't. All I know is, there was no way he'd play with heart for the Lions, not after that whole ordeal.

Bullshit!

Titus dropped far fewer balls than Pett or Nate, did more with fewer opportunities, and you want to complain about heart? Pett has less heart than anyone on this team.

I didn't see Pettigrew going on idiotic Twitter rants about how he's a HOF'er and that he's being held back. The jury is still out on Pettigrew. His performance was disappointing, no doubt, but I'd see how he responds next season before making a judgement on him. I'd have given Titus the same treatment had he kept his moronic mouth shut.

This isn't about what each player did AFTER they got screwed over (Pett can't complain about targets, Titus can), this is about which player was justified in feeling rubbed or screwed over by the team and the system. I'm not saying he handled it right, but we screwed Titus in targets, flat out. He wanted out of here and he got it.

If you think all of those twitter comments were "off-the-cuff" mindless rants, you're a fool. He wanted to be released, and he got it.

And there you have it, "he wanted to be released" meaning his heart is not in his play with the Lions. Now, he gets to have a bad reputation and a low-ball offer that goes with it. But why speculate now, let's see how well he does with his hard earned release. My prediction is that he'll end being the offensive equivalent of Vernon Gholston (with an added attitude problem).

February 4th, 2013, 6:43 pm
DayDreamer wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
He'd have a valid argument if he caught the balls that WERE thrown his way. He's just the typical diva WR without the talent. Sure, he has what seems like an upside, but he'll always be a slot receiver who can't be relied on.

On the flipside, his firing might be the wake up call he needed to get his act together. Maybe he'll make the most of his next opportunity, maybe he won't. All I know is, there was no way he'd play with heart for the Lions, not after that whole ordeal.

Bullshit!

Titus dropped far fewer balls than Pett or Nate, did more with fewer opportunities, and you want to complain about heart? Pett has less heart than anyone on this team.

I didn't see Pettigrew going on idiotic Twitter rants about how he's a HOF'er and that he's being held back. The jury is still out on Pettigrew. His performance was disappointing, no doubt, but I'd see how he responds next season before making a judgement on him. I'd have given Titus the same treatment had he kept his moronic mouth shut.

This isn't about what each player did AFTER they got screwed over (Pett can't complain about targets, Titus can), this is about which player was justified in feeling rubbed or screwed over by the team and the system. I'm not saying he handled it right, but we screwed Titus in targets, flat out. He wanted out of here and he got it.

If you think all of those twitter comments were "off-the-cuff" mindless rants, you're a fool. He wanted to be released, and he got it.

And there you have it, "he wanted to be released" meaning his heart is not in his play with the Lions. Now, he gets to have a bad reputation and a low-ball offer that goes with it. But why speculate now, let's see how well he does with his hard earned release. My prediction is that he'll end being the offensive equivalent of Vernon Gholston (with an added attitude problem).

He was on the third year of his rookie contract, on a team that wasn't using him effectively. He was scheduled to make $555k next year, and he gets to keep $900k in bonuses getting released. A team will probably sign him for around $550-1mill for one year, with little to no signing bonus. He will most likely make MORE MONEY next year (unless he's claimed off of waivers, which would be the smart thing for a team to do), but even at that, he will make the same, and it will likely be on a team that can better use his services.

I tell you now, pray he doesn't get claimed or signed by Chicago.

February 4th, 2013, 7:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Quote:

or any other team in the division.

February 4th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Killwill25 wrote:
Quote:

or any other team in the division.

GB won't want him. They have enough WR talent to not take a risk. Minny would be scary too, but their struggles at Qb would limit Titus' effectiveness, and Titus would go nuts in Minny (they're ran about as poorly as we are). Chicago is the only team I'm worried about him going to.

February 4th, 2013, 8:30 pm
NFL Veteran

Titus is not going to play in CHI for the same reason he doesn't want to be in DET, he won't get targets. Cutler has always favored Marshall and his TE which is exactly what Stafford does. The two QBs really aren't that different in their skill sets and lack of good mechanics in game. Marshall was targeted 194 times in 2012 that's only 11 times less than CJ, but that was also on 434 ATT from Cutler and 51 from Campbell not 727 ATT like Stafford. You could argue that he only had Marshall to throw too, but that is such a huge portion of the ATT that I can't see it changing much even with another receiver. Also don't forget they drafted Alshon Jeffery to be the WR2 and they liked him a lot when he wasn't out with injury. IMO they have no reason to take on a problem guy like Titus and would have no interest when they have an unestablished new coach try to make his presence known in a locker room that loved their previous coach.

I could see him going to a place like NE, Belichick has been known to take a chance on problem guys if they have known talent. Belichick could probably rein him in and Brady would spread the ball around. Outside of NE I really don't know who else would go after him, maybe the Jets they don't seem to care about media issues, but any team with a new coach will avoid him like the plague.

February 4th, 2013, 8:58 pm
RIP Killer

Really?! You guys are actually afraid of Titus Young facing this team?? He's good, but he's not THAT good. His diva attitude will forever be his undoing. He's a dime a dozen receiver because of his attitude. Does he have talent? Absolutely. But he also has an ego that puts his talent in check, and more. He'll piss of a QB, or an OC, or his HC and he will get demoted, as he did here.

Titus Young is his own worst enemy, and he's the next Freddie Mitchell.

February 4th, 2013, 9:29 pm
m2karateman wrote:
Really?! You guys are actually afraid of Titus Young facing this team?? He's good, but he's not THAT good. His diva attitude will forever be his undoing. He's a dime a dozen receiver because of his attitude. Does he have talent? Absolutely. But he also has an ego that puts his talent in check, and more. He'll piss of a QB, or an OC, or his HC and he will get demoted, as he did here.

Titus Young is his own worst enemy, and he's the next Freddie Mitchell.

FWIW, I'm not worried as much about Titus "flourishing" somewhere else. I'm just worried that he'll just so happen to "get it together" for the week before he plays us, the coaches will see it, and they'll allow him to run rampant against our crappy secondary for one week before they put him back into purgatory.

February 4th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:

No team with a new head coach is going to sign him. There are a few established, successful teams that could probably bring him in (like the Pats), but there's just as many that wouldn't touch him with a 10-ft pole (the Pack, the Ravens). Re Minny: Frazer was ready to get rid of Harvin for his diva-esque behavior, and he has 10X more production and 1/10 the attitude issues of TY, so what does that tell you?

February 4th, 2013, 10:15 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Wow...just wow...

Quote:
Lions cut troubled wide receiver Titus Young in wake of suspension, friction
7:09 PM, February 4, 2013 | Comments
http://www.freep.com/article/20130204/S ... itus-young
By Dave Birkett

Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

Titus Young's troubled tenure with the Detroit Lions is over.

The Lions released Young today on the first day teams can make roster moves after the Super Bowl, granting a request he seemed to be asking for on Twitter.

Young’s agent, Kevin Poston, did not immediately return messages seeking comment, but Young’s father, Richard Young, said his son was dealing with the news “pretty good.”

“He’ll be OK,” Richard Young said. “He’ll be fine. Titus will be fine.”

A second-round pick out of Boise State in 2011, Young, 23, fell out of favor with the Lions this season after repeated acts of insubordinate behavior.

He was sent home by the organization three times in a seven-month span starting last May, when he punched teammate Louis Delmas during off-season workouts.

In a November loss to the Green Bay Packers, Young purposely lined up in the wrong spot on the field, and after returning to the team following a week’s absence he was sent home for good when his presence became a distraction in the locker room.

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew left the door open for Young to return after the season, but Young lashed out at fans and the team on Twitter last month.

Among other rants, he appeared to taunt fans about the weather in Detroit from his home in California and wrote, “Oh I'm not done, if y'all going to cut me let me go. I'm tired of the threats.”

The Lions had hoped to try and trade Young before the draft, but it quickly became apparent he had no trade value.

“Production and tolerance,” CBS analyst and former Steelers coach Bill Cowher explained at the Super Bowl. “When tolerance becomes higher than production I think it’s time to cut the strings. It’s really that simple. He is where he is. You’ve got maybe the best receiver in football in Calvin Johnson. If he’s having a problem playing second fiddle to him, I’m sure some other players would step up and feel very honored to do so.”

A game-changing talent whose behavior issues date back to at least his time in college, Young’s problems last season stemmed in part from the fact that he thought he wasn’t getting the ball enough.

His on-field meltdown against the Packers, when he lashed out at former receivers coach Shawn Jefferson on his way off the field, came two weeks after the first 100-yard game of his career.

E.C. Robinson, Young’s high school coach, said Young came to his house on Christmas and the two talked about his problems with the Lions.

“He did tell me he thought he was just as good Megatron,” Robinson recalled late last month. “I said, ‘Titus, come on.’ I said, ‘Come on, man. Who you talking to?’ I said, ‘Come on, you’re as good as that guy? This guy is the real deal.’ And he really believes this. And he was sincere about it. ‘Ah man, I’m better than him.’ I said, ‘No you’re not. Be real man. Come on.’ So I don’t know, I’m hoping for the best for him.”

Robinson and some of Young’s other former coaches, including ex-Boise State assistant Brent Pease, now at Florida, have reached out to Young recently with no success.

Young finishes his Lions career with 81 catches in 26 career games, including 33 catches for 383 yards last year. His departure leaves the Lions with just two players from the 2011 draft still under contract, first-round pick Nick Fairley and second-rounder Mikel Leshoure.

Fifth-round pick Doug Hogue was released during the season, and seventh-rounder Johnny Culbreath was cut last summer.

The Lions already have paid Young all the guaranteed money on his rookie contract and will take a $900,000 cap hit with his release.

With Young gone, the Lions could give Nate Burleson and Ryan Broyles more work at receiver next year, or add to the position in the draft. Burleson is rehabbing from a broken leg, but expects to be ready for the start of the off-season program. Broyles is coming off a torn ACL but probably won't be ready until training camp.

Other receivers on the Lions roster include: Mike Thomas, Devin Thomas (Michigan State), Patrick Edwards and Brian Robiskie.

Contact Dave Birkett: 313-222-2037 or dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

February 4th, 2013, 10:25 pm
Walk On

Massoquoi wouldn't be a bad move, he still have some tread on his tires and past chemistry with Stafford from Georgia. All sudden he's in good company with two bulldogs in Mass & Durham.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:
It's too bad he was such a knucklehead. I would think that in a winning locker room he's not as much of a bitch. Terrible waste of a pick. Moves WR up to one of the top priorities for the offseason. Pathetic, considering all the picks and signings that we've committed to the position and all we really have right now is CJ and Mike Thomas. Who knows how Broyles/Burleson will bounce back from injuries? Get ready to crap a brick when they take a WR in the second round, AGAIN!

We should try to sign Hixon or Massoquoi. We have too many high priced needs (LT and DE mostly) to consider wasting a pick on a starting caliber WR.

February 4th, 2013, 10:35 pm
Walk On

Seems like he would go to the Vikings, who's in our division and there's ?? about Percy. Leaving no clear cut #1 Wr in Minny. I can't see him bitching about not getting the ball over CJ and going to play with Marshall.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
He's gone.

Cleared up the sentiment on here that he had any sort of trade value.

Lets just hope he doesn't end up with Chicago and screwing us twice a year.

I wish we could have traded him just so we could determine where he ended up going.

I don't see anyone but the Raiders even touching him with a 10 foot pole....then again, who knows.

He's going to come cheap, and he is very talented. There will be suitors. At this point, for the next team it really is a no-lose proposition. Little to no signing bonus, doesn't cost a draft pick, tons of talent, and relatively cheap. If he was another team's problem, I'd consider him here. Why not? There's no risk.

IMO Chicago is smart enough to know that he'll have a chip on his shoulder for us, they can exploit that, and they need WR help. He has great upside and he's going to come cheap. It really would be a perfect fit for him, and him.... He's already proven that he's vindictive, and he would love to shove it on our face twice a year.

February 4th, 2013, 10:47 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Mark my words: Titus Young will succeed wherever he goes. Our coaching staff's disciplinary program is non-existent.

If he goes to New England, he will receive over 1,000 yards easily every year.

This guy is extremely talented. We just lost him and kept a head coach who has had 6 of his players involved in crime during his tenure, went 4-12, and is sticking with a defensive scheme that, in no way, worked well last season. I am literally in disbelief.

Last edited by Shotty on February 4th, 2013, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 4th, 2013, 11:15 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
Mark my words: Titus Young will succeed wherever he goes. Our coaching staff's disciplinary program is non-existent.

This guy is extremely talented. We just lost him and kept a head coach who has had 6 of his players involved in crime during his tenure. I am literally in disbelief.

I think you're on crack if you seriously believe that.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 4th, 2013, 11:20 pm
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:

This guy is extremely talented. We just lost him and kept a head coach who has had 6 of his players involved in crime during his tenure. I am literally in disbelief.

I think you're on crack if you seriously believe that.

We'll see.

February 4th, 2013, 11:21 pm
QB Coach

I'm surprised they cut him right away. I'm sure there wouldn't have been much of a trade market, but even a 7th would have been better than nothing. What a waste of a pick. He was actually a guy I predicted us taking that year. Didn't know he was such a headcase. He could have done great things next to Calvin if he just realized that with the attention CJ gets, he's bound to get favorable coverage. He's not always going to be the first read, but he woulda gotten his share. I hope nobody signs him, but I'm sure he'll end up somewhere.

Let's hope Broyles can get healthy soon.

February 5th, 2013, 3:04 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next