View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ray Lewis to retire after season 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Ray Lewis to retire after season
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I’m not granting Lewis forgiveness based on legal technicalities. I’m giving it to him based on common sense, life experience, an understanding of our criminal justice system and, most important, based on the way Lewis has conducted himself since the trial.
For me, this is one of the biggest points. While many have been given 2nd chances, IMO Ray has made the most of it. He has touched so many lives in the past decade its unreal.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 14th, 2013, 11:53 am
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
The Legend wrote:
You need only watch the terrible dancing and post game interviews to know that there is something dramatically wrong with this man. Then if you re actually curious dig a little further and you have the murders. Lewis is a great football player but celebrating him just doesnt feel right.

1) The Dancing... really?

2) Only saw 1 postgame interview but saw nothing wrong with it.

3) When the retirement announcement was made i posted about the murders. the more I dug into it, the less i was worried about it.

He is 1 of the best players ever, and I see no reason not to celebrate what he meant to the game of fooball.

This article sums up my thoughts on Lewis pretty well:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ray-lewis-baltimore-ravens-retiring-earned-respect-aftermath-double-murder-trial-011113

The part that is most relevant for me is this:

...football fans should not be ashamed of loving Ray Lewis. He’s earned our admiration and respect.

That is not written to exonerate Lewis in the 2000 double-murder trial that nearly cost him his freedom, nor is it written to minimize the seriousness of the tragedy. It’s written to convey none of us is Perry Mason, none of us know what happened before, during or after Lewis, his friends and the victims stepped inside the limousine on that night. We can speculate. We can piece together clues. We can read into the fact Lewis reached financial settlements with the families of the deceased. We can express and feel deep sympathy for the deceased and their families.

But we cannot know. What’s done is done. Our criminal justice system reached a plea agreement with Lewis to testify against the men the courts believed were responsible for the killings, and the courts charged Lewis with obstruction of justice. There were no convictions at the trial.

I’m not granting Lewis forgiveness based on legal technicalities. I’m giving it to him based on common sense, life experience, an understanding of our criminal justice system and, most important, based on the way Lewis has conducted himself since the trial.

I agree with this. None of us know what truly happened, but we do know that the criminal justice system did not charge him with anything, and there were no convictions. So I don't think any of us can honestly claim he is a murderer.

This is pretty much how I feel regarding the subject. I really don't see how his "dance" should have any effect whatsoever in his public perception either in or out of the game.

January 14th, 2013, 1:03 pm
League MVP

TheRealWags wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
For me, this is one of the biggest points. While many have been given 2nd chances, IMO Ray has made the most of it. He has touched so many lives in the past decade its unreal.

This...

January 14th, 2013, 7:38 pm
League MVP

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
The Legend wrote:
You need only watch the terrible dancing and post game interviews to know that there is something dramatically wrong with this man. Then if you re actually curious dig a little further and you have the murders. Lewis is a great football player but celebrating him just doesnt feel right.

1) The Dancing... really?

2) Only saw 1 postgame interview but saw nothing wrong with it.

3) When the retirement announcement was made i posted about the murders. the more I dug into it, the less i was worried about it.

He is 1 of the best players ever, and I see no reason not to celebrate what he meant to the game of fooball.

This article sums up my thoughts on Lewis pretty well:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ray-lewis-baltimore-ravens-retiring-earned-respect-aftermath-double-murder-trial-011113

The part that is most relevant for me is this:

...football fans should not be ashamed of loving Ray Lewis. He’s earned our admiration and respect.

That is not written to exonerate Lewis in the 2000 double-murder trial that nearly cost him his freedom, nor is it written to minimize the seriousness of the tragedy. It’s written to convey none of us is Perry Mason, none of us know what happened before, during or after Lewis, his friends and the victims stepped inside the limousine on that night. We can speculate. We can piece together clues. We can read into the fact Lewis reached financial settlements with the families of the deceased. We can express and feel deep sympathy for the deceased and their families.

But we cannot know. What’s done is done. Our criminal justice system reached a plea agreement with Lewis to testify against the men the courts believed were responsible for the killings, and the courts charged Lewis with obstruction of justice. There were no convictions at the trial.

I agree with this. None of us know what truly happened, but we do know that the criminal justice system did not charge him with anything, and there were no convictions. So I don't think any of us can honestly claim he is a murderer.

Common sense, huh? okay...then how do you explain that Lewis clothing from that night was never found? That nobody else was ever even charged with the murders? Or that Lewis reached civil agreements with both of the victims' families? Didnt think so...

January 14th, 2013, 9:32 pm
QB Coach

Nobody else was charged? The other two guys involved in this were charged for these murders and were acquitted because it was ruled self defense. Yes, it's tragic that two young men lost their lives, but nobody except those that were there that night will ever know for sure what happened.

Here's another article about it that has some more good info. http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_22 ... avens-star
The victims had previous run ins with the law for drugs (marijuana and cocaine) and weapons (misuse of a firearm) and shots were fired at Lewis' limo while it was leaving the scene. More than anything, it seems like Ray was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people, and since then, he's turned his life around. He plead guilty to obstruction of justice (likely for discarding evidence - his suit from that night, and allegedly telling the limo passengers to keep quiet about the event.) I for one don't believe that Ray actually stabbed the victims, but it could be just a good defense attorney striking a plea and pinning it on two participants with criminal records.

January 15th, 2013, 4:17 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Exactly. So we have 1 tragic night where something happened, but we arent sure of what, nor will we ever be.

What we do have to go on is 12 Years of not only being an upstanding human being, but being an inspirational leader on and off the field, philanthropist, Charity Work, etc.

Kooky or not, its obvious he walks the talk, hence the funny interviews.

January 15th, 2013, 3:20 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Nobody else was charged? The other two guys involved in this were charged for these murders and were acquitted because it was ruled self defense. Yes, it's tragic that two young men lost their lives, but nobody except those that were there that night will ever know for sure what happened.

Here's another article about it that has some more good info. http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_22 ... avens-star
The victims had previous run ins with the law for drugs (marijuana and cocaine) and weapons (misuse of a firearm) and shots were fired at Lewis' limo while it was leaving the scene. More than anything, it seems like Ray was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people, and since then, he's turned his life around. He plead guilty to obstruction of justice (likely for discarding evidence - his suit from that night, and allegedly telling the limo passengers to keep quiet about the event.) I for one don't believe that Ray actually stabbed the victims, but it could be just a good defense attorney striking a plea and pinning it on two participants with criminal records.

i didnt realize they won based on self-defense. well at least lewis and his thugs admitted to being responsible for the deaths. lewis was exactly where he wanted to be with exactly the people he chose to have around him which is completely difft from what "wrong place, wrong time" means

January 15th, 2013, 7:09 pm
QB Coach

Some of the sites I'm reading now don't mention the self defense thing but some do so now I'm confused, but I'll look into it further.
As for the wrong place wrong time thing, yes he wanted to be at the club and yes he brought those guys with him (along with about 40 other people) but when a fight like that breaks out, I'm sure most people would classify that as the wrong time and place, even if it's where they intended to be. There's a lot of evidence that shows that he wasn't involved in the fight and that the victims group were the ones that instigated it. Lewis hasn't surrounded himself with those kinds of people ever since.

Anyways, like I said before, nobody will ever know for sure, except for the people that were there. I don't believe Ray Lewis killed those men, but it's possible he did.

January 16th, 2013, 5:12 pm
What's anyone think of the talk of Ray having used a "banned substance" this season? IMO he's going out, knows he's not going to get tested (they generally do most of the testing in August, from most of the reports I've read), and he's going out with a bang, giving himself every advantage.

Personally I think it's kind of BS that the league doesn't step in and test him, but they would rather have the story read "hero goes out with warm welcome," than "Ray Lewis is a drug user."

February 2nd, 2013, 3:26 pm
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
What's anyone think of the talk of Ray having used a "banned substance" this season? IMO he's going out, knows he's not going to get tested (they generally do most of the testing in August, from most of the reports I've read), and he's going out with a bang, giving himself every advantage.

Personally I think it's kind of BS that the league doesn't step in and test him, but they would rather have the story read "hero goes out with warm welcome," than "Ray Lewis is a drug user."

Well since Mitch Ross said he was sent by god with holograms to help the Ravens and that he has 2 brains, I think I'll give Ray Lewis a pass.

I'd also say I couldn't care less if he did use something. The guy is old and isn't even a great player anymore, if he used something to get back from injury sooner I say good for him. Half the stuff on the banned substance list isn't even a PED it's just on the list because some player used it to mask something else or named it to avoid getting in trouble so it gets added to the list the next chance the league gets. I won't start condemning players for PEDs until the league actually looks at it seriously. Who knows, maybe when the league gets HGH testing in place the players will start shrinking.

February 2nd, 2013, 4:49 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Basball built a culture and fame for an entire era by turning a blind eye to ped (and ped-=like) substance use, why would it suprise anyone that the NFL is doing the same.

In the Ray Lewis case i think its bogus because the guy claiming it is a wackadoo, and also claimed other things that have been proven unsubstantiated. That said a crapload of current players, stars, HOFers, etc are using substances they arent supposed to, whether for Building or for recovering. I agree with the above poster, ill give a sh!t once the NFL does and actually tries to stop it.

February 4th, 2013, 5:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

February 4th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:

While I do agree with you on the testing, I'm pretty sure the only way to test for the supposed banned substance in this case is by blood test, which the NFL & NFLPA have not agreed to as of yet.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

February 5th, 2013, 9:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2