View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 It's About Damn Time! Peterman Gets the Ax 
Post It's About Damn Time! Peterman Gets the Ax
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions- ... a66d68c549

Unfortunately it's 2 years over due, and it's likely more of a cap casualty than a performance evaluation, but at least we're makin' moves. Sure would have been nice to do it last year, so his full salary would be off of the books this season...

:roll:

February 5th, 2013, 2:43 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: It's About Damn Time! Peterman Gets the Ax
I just came here to post the same story, you beat me to it.

Anyway, glad he's gone. Apparently, he's allowed more interior pressure to the QB than any starting guard in the league, that takes some talent. Now I just hope Nagy gets healthy and stays healthy.

February 5th, 2013, 2:49 pm
RIP Killer

freep wrote:
Lions cut offensive lineman Stephen Peterman

The Lions began what could be a major overhaul of their offensive line today, informing right guard Stephen Peterman of his release, according to a person familiar with the decision.

Peterman, 31, started every game at right guard for the Lions the last three years and has been a fixture on the line since 2007.

But Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said the team allowed too much interior pressure this year, which contributed to Matthew Stafford’s struggles at quarterback.

Peterman ranked 14th in Pro Football Focus’ offensive-line rankings at right guard, and the Lions were third in PFF’s pass-block rankings as a unit, allowing just 29 sacks in an NFL-record 740 pass attempts.

With significant salary-cap problems, the Lions have targeted the offensive line as an area they can get younger and cheaper for next year.

Rob Sims will return at left guard and Riley Reiff will start somewhere – probably one of the tackle positions – after playing as a sixth lineman as a rookie. But the Lions have decisions to make at right tackle, where Gosder Cherilus is a free agent, left tackle, where Jeff Backus turns 36 in September, and center, where Dominic Raiola carries a $6 million cap figure.

Cherilus was PFF’s No. 2-ranked right tackle, behind the Cincinnati Bengals’ Andre Smith, and Raiola was the site’s No. 11 center and is one of the locker room’s most prominent voices. Backus, the 22nd-ranked left tackle, was the only Lions blocker in the bottom half off the league.

Asked how different his offensive line could look in 2013, Lions coach Jim Schwartz said at the Senior Bowl last month he was “prepared for a lot of different ways.”

“We have developed some pretty good players there and we have some good players in the pipeline,” Schwartz said. “If we think the best course of action is to go there then we’re prepared for that.”

The Lions claimed Bill Nagy off waivers from the Dallas Cowboys last year and are high on undrafted rookie Rodney Austin. Nagy can play both guard and center, but he’s been limited to four games his first two NFL seasons by ankle injuries. Austin took about 60% of his reps at guard, 40 percent at center on the practice squad this year.

Reiff and Jason Fox, a restricted free agent who was drafted in the fourth round out of Miami (Fla.) as a tackle, also can play guard.

By releasing Peterman, the Lions save about $3.2 million in cap space. A third-round pick by the Dallas Cowboys in 2004 who joined the Lions’ practice squad two years later, Peterman was due a $500,000 roster bonus on the second day of the league year.

February 5th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
His actual cap savings are actually around $2.5 million, not $3.2, but w/e...

February 5th, 2013, 3:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

First response is from our old friend thestrategyexpert! http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... tting-him/

WJB, I have to say after reading his comment that I wondered if you guys are one and the same. :D

February 5th, 2013, 3:17 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
First response is from our old friend thestrategyexpert! http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... tting-him/

WJB, I have to say after reading his comment that I wondered if you guys are one and the same. :D

Nope... Not me... I never really liked him. I don't see how you can say someone sucks (which we all have), and claim at the same time we should have traded him. To whom? For what? He sucks AND was over-paid... No deal...

I only post under wjb21ndtown (on MLive and other sites) or my name =).

February 5th, 2013, 3:21 pm

:cheers:

All ive got to say about that.

NEXT ???

February 5th, 2013, 3:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Thank god, the weakest link is gone.

Now get the biggest gap filling road grading beast you can find. I hope they're not putting all their eggs in the Nagy basket! That's far too risky. Go after levitre who will easily mask the raiola problem and look for a 2-4 round center in the draft to groom for raiola. Didn't Nagy play some C in college? Maybe he could be groomed this year to replace raiola next year??

Maybe thre looking at Reiff at RG as a stop gap, or even Cheerios? Will be interesting to see.

February 5th, 2013, 5:02 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I never understood the LIons resigned Peterman and made him one the higher payed guards in the league. He was making more than Rob Sims who is clearly a better player.

Unfortunately it probably means that the even higher overpaid Dominic Raiola will be returning for at least one more year at center.

Next years line:
LT-Backus (1 year left at $3,500,000)
LG-Sims
C-Raiola (1 year left at $6,312,500)
RG-Nagy
RT-Reiff

In 2 years:
LT-Reiff
LG-Sims
C-Nagy
RG-unknown
RT-Fox

February 5th, 2013, 8:50 pm
conversion02 wrote:
Thank god, the weakest link is gone.

Now get the biggest gap filling road grading beast you can find. I hope they're not putting all their eggs in the Nagy basket! That's far too risky. Go after levitre who will easily mask the raiola problem and look for a 2-4 round center in the draft to groom for raiola. Didn't Nagy play some C in college? Maybe he could be groomed this year to replace raiola next year??

Maybe thre looking at Reiff at RG as a stop gap, or even Cheerios? Will be interesting to see.

I think they're more or less stuck with Reiff at RT this year. Reports are that he's wanting top RT money to sign in FA. Not only would I not give it to him, we can't afford it. We may be stuck with Nagy/Fox replacing Peterman this year, unless we draft someone. I don't think we can afford Levitre, even if he signs for our savings on Peterman.

February 5th, 2013, 9:10 pm
Team MVP

Would anyone NOT be happy if we ended up with Chance Warmack in the draft, given the situation?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 5th, 2013, 9:33 pm
kdsberman wrote:
Would anyone NOT be happy if we ended up with Chance Warmack in the draft, given the situation?

2nd round?

February 5th, 2013, 9:35 pm
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:

That'd mean one of the following:

We'd be starting at least one awful DE
We'd resign an average DE who I won't name to a ridiculous contract he will demand

No way we keep Avril then sign a good, not great, guard prospect in the draft.

Unless we magically find a starting DE in the 2nd round or later, we NEED to draft one in the first unless Luke Joeckel is waiting around. Nagy is a good run-blocker and a good-enough pass blocker to bear with, I think we stick with him for the year at RG.

February 5th, 2013, 9:39 pm

TO be fair shotty, Chance Warmack isnt a "Good, Not Great" GUard prospect. Hes considered by many to be a top 15 pick in the draft at guard. Will he drop because hes a G, maybe, but hes considered a Great Guard prospect just like DeCastro was last year.

February 5th, 2013, 9:59 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Butkus Award Winner

DJ-B wrote:
TO be fair shotty, Chance Warmack isnt a "Good, Not Great" GUard prospect. Hes considered by many to be a top 15 pick in the draft at guard. Will he drop because hes a G, maybe, but hes considered a Great Guard prospect just like DeCastro was last year.

I don't see that bulldozer pass blocking that I want in a true top 10 pick of a guard, and his run blocking isn't GREAT by any means.

If we're talking the 8th or 9th pick it'd be different, but we can get a complete playmaker with the #5 pick. We can't mess this up by picking a guy like Warmack.

February 5th, 2013, 10:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next