View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 6:51 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 23  Next
 Lions place Titus Young on IR 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Are you guys seeing why I've been so pissed at Mayhew for "kicking the can down the road"? All of those chickens are coming home to roost.
I thought Lewand was the cap / $$ guy and Mayhew was the personnel guy...if so, why are peeps not laying into Lewand as well? or am I missing something (as usual :oops: )?

February 5th, 2013, 10:03 am
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Are you guys seeing why I've been so pissed at Mayhew for "kicking the can down the road"? All of those chickens are coming home to roost.
I thought Lewand was the cap / $$ guy and Mayhew was the personnel guy...if so, why are peeps not laying into Lewand as well? or am I missing something (as usual :oops: )?

Mayhew decides which players go and which players stay, which was the problem last year. Mayhew also negotiates the #'s. Lewand just tries to fit everyone under the cap. you cant spin chicken sht into chicken salad.

He'll, even Mayhew has came out publicly and admitted he screwed up at this point. He cost us over $13 million in moves last year, and those same moves would have saved us $7 mill this year. That's $20 million in two seasons, not counting Avril's $10 mill.

Ridiculous.

February 5th, 2013, 10:10 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Claimed by the Rams...interesting. Fisher has definitely never had a problem with bringing in questionable character guys (I think that's where Schwartz got it from).

February 5th, 2013, 5:43 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Claimed by the Rams...interesting. Fisher has definitely never had a problem with bringing in questionable character guys (I think that's where Schwartz got it from).

Well, St. Louis was 7-8, so the Rams and the Vikings never got a chance at him. I wonder if Schwartz contacted Fisher and worked that out prior to his release?

Either way, pretty good situation for him (not that he had much control over it. St. Louis doesn't have much by way of WRs, he's talented, and IMO Bradford has the tools to be good if they can get him some weapons. The Rams got a first round WR talent (albeit with some head issues) for virtually nothing. They're on their way up IMO.

February 5th, 2013, 5:58 pm
RIP Killer

Hopefully he bitches in STL that he's not getting the ball enough, Bradford regresses every year since his rookie year, and the play calling sucks. Then fisher kicks his rectum on down the road. The guy is a moron.

February 5th, 2013, 6:13 pm

PFT wrote:
Rams were only team that wanted Titus Young
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 5, 2013, 5:35 PM EST

For the Rams, Titus Young’s talent trumped the trouble he’s been known to cause. For the NFL’s other 31 teams, he wasn’t worth the headaches.

Mike Garafolo of USA Today first reported, and PFT has confirmed, that the Rams were the only team to put in a waiver claim for Young today.

When the Lions placed Young on waivers, every NFL team had the opportunity to put in a claim for him, and there’s really no cost associated with having him: If he causes problems or just doesn’t look like a good fit with the team, you can cut him at any point before the start of the regular season without taking a financial hit.

That would seem to make him a tempting player to claim, because Young is a talented receiver: He was a starter for most of his first two seasons after the Lions took him in the second round of the 2011 NFL draft, and he caught 81 passes for 990 yards and 10 touchdowns in 26 games. A 23-year-old who has the proven ability to produce in the passing game like that doesn’t become available very often.

But the risk with Young is that he’ll cause real problems for a team: Young wasn’t just your run-of-the-mill problem child, the kind of guy who shows up late to practice or falls asleep in meetings. Young’s issues included punching a teammate at practice and purposely lining up in the wrong place during a game because he was mad that the Lions’ coaches weren’t calling plays in which he was the primary receiver. A player like that can really damage a team.

So Rams coach Jeff Fisher is taking on a real risk by acquiring Young. A risk that 31 other coaches didn’t want to take.

February 5th, 2013, 8:18 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
PFT wrote:

For the Rams, Titus Young’s talent trumped the trouble he’s been known to cause. For the NFL’s other 31 teams, he wasn’t worth the headaches.

Mike Garafolo of USA Today first reported, and PFT has confirmed, that the Rams were the only team to put in a waiver claim for Young today.

When the Lions placed Young on waivers, every NFL team had the opportunity to put in a claim for him, and there’s really no cost associated with having him: If he causes problems or just doesn’t look like a good fit with the team, you can cut him at any point before the start of the regular season without taking a financial hit.

That would seem to make him a tempting player to claim, because Young is a talented receiver: He was a starter for most of his first two seasons after the Lions took him in the second round of the 2011 NFL draft, and he caught 81 passes for 990 yards and 10 touchdowns in 26 games. A 23-year-old who has the proven ability to produce in the passing game like that doesn’t become available very often.

But the risk with Young is that he’ll cause real problems for a team: Young wasn’t just your run-of-the-mill problem child, the kind of guy who shows up late to practice or falls asleep in meetings. Young’s issues included punching a teammate at practice and purposely lining up in the wrong place during a game because he was mad that the Lions’ coaches weren’t calling plays in which he was the primary receiver. A player like that can really damage a team.

So Rams coach Jeff Fisher is taking on a real risk by acquiring Young. A risk that 31 other coaches didn’t want to take.

This is a pile of horseshit. There's no way he can know if he would have made it further up the waiver wire. I still think Chicago would have taken him in a minute, if nothing else for his knowledge of the Lions offense.

February 5th, 2013, 9:07 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
PFT wrote:

This is a pile of horseshit. There's no way he can know if he would have made it further up the waiver wire. I still think Chicago would have taken him in a minute, if nothing else for his knowledge of the Lions offense.

Not true. I've often seen it said that teams lower in the waiver order put a claim in on somebody who was ultimately awarded to a team with higher priority.

February 5th, 2013, 9:40 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

thelomasbrowns wrote:
PFT wrote:

This is what breaks my heart.

BOLD PREDICTION: Titus goes to the Rams, Jeff Fisher, a guy who can control a football team, gets him under control, tells him what he wants to hear, and puts him in as the #1 receiver. This turns out as a bargain, the Rams and TY are both winners, and he is a 1,000+ yard receiver next season. Just wait for it to happen, I know it will.

February 5th, 2013, 9:42 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
PFT wrote:

Not true. I've often seen it said that teams lower in the waiver order put a claim in on somebody who was ultimately awarded to a team with higher priority.

To say that "no one put a claim on him," isn't to say "no one wanted him."

February 5th, 2013, 9:47 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

From reading briefly about this it isnt a 1 eam at a time claim. Any team interested submits a claim, and the team with the highest waiver ranking (based on prev or current years record) "wins", so from the explanation i read only the rams even submitted a claim. Teams "higher" (worse record) than the rams should have had 10 days to submit so I would assume they said no specifically, and any team lower than the Rams could have submitted a claim, but chose not to. If the bears were interested they would have submitted one, but still "lost" young to the rams.

Again this is based on googleing up rules on how the waiver wire works, and we all know how trustworthy the internet is.

February 5th, 2013, 9:55 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

DJ-B wrote:
From reading briefly about this it isnt a 1 eam at a time claim. Any team interested submits a claim, and the team with the highest waiver ranking (based on prev or current years record) "wins", so from the explanation i read only the rams even submitted a claim. Teams "higher" (worse record) than the rams should have had 10 days to submit so I would assume they said no specifically, and any team lower than the Rams could have submitted a claim, but chose not to. If the bears were interested they would have submitted one, but still "lost" young to the rams.

Again this is based on googleing up rules on how the waiver wire works, and we all know how trustworthy the internet is.

Yup. You can't argue that his contract was an impediment. Any team claiming him was getting him on the cheap. So one claim=one team "wanted" him.

February 5th, 2013, 10:10 pm
QB Coach

thelomasbrowns wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

Yup. You can't argue that his contract was an impediment. Any team claiming him was getting him on the cheap. So one claim=one team "wanted" him.

Agreed.

wjb, if a team wanted Titus, why would they not put a claim in for him? They have nothing to lose if they believe he can help their team.

If putting a claim in for him is showing that a team wants him, isn't not putting a claim in showing that a team doesn't want him? What am I missing here?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

February 5th, 2013, 10:30 pm
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

Agreed.

wjb, if a team wanted Titus, why would they not put a claim in for him? They have nothing to lose if they believe he can help their team.

If putting a claim in for him is showing that a team wants him, isn't not putting a claim in showing that a team doesn't want him? What am I missing here?

Maybe they only wanted him for a one-year deal? Maybe they wanted safeguards and discipline measures built into his contract? (Remember, a team claiming a player off of the waiver wire takes them subject to his old deal, maybe he was due a roster bonus?) Maybe they wanted to interview him first to get his side of the issue? A team claiming a player does it blind, without the benefit of an interview or workout. Hearing what his plans and realistic expectations from Titus would be huge to a potential suitor. Also, remember, he also allegedly needed "surgery" which we all know was BS, but if I'm going to be paying him $550k, I'd still want to know for sure.

Is that enough, or should I go on?

February 5th, 2013, 11:20 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
Really?! You guys are actually afraid of Titus Young facing this team?? He's good, but he's not THAT good. His diva attitude will forever be his undoing. He's a dime a dozen receiver because of his attitude. Does he have talent? Absolutely. But he also has an ego that puts his talent in check, and more. He'll piss of a QB, or an OC, or his HC and he will get demoted, as he did here.

Titus Young is his own worst enemy, and he's the next Freddie Mitchell.

And I bet Delmas is salivating at the thought of the first time he can knock the snot out of Titus. LOL. And yes, I am aware that the Rams claimed him at the time of this post. But, the sentiment still applies, regardless who he plays for.

February 5th, 2013, 11:55 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 23  Next