View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 It's About Damn Time! Peterman Gets the Ax 
Team MVP

Post Re: It's About Damn Time! Peterman Gets the Ax
Shotty wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
TO be fair shotty, Chance Warmack isnt a "Good, Not Great" GUard prospect. Hes considered by many to be a top 15 pick in the draft at guard. Will he drop because hes a G, maybe, but hes considered a Great Guard prospect just like DeCastro was last year.

I don't see that bulldozer pass blocking that I want in a true top 10 pick of a guard, and his run blocking isn't GREAT by any means.

If we're talking the 8th or 9th pick it'd be different, but we can get a complete playmaker with the #5 pick. We can't mess this up by picking a guy like Warmack.

Since when do you use "bulldozer" when talking about pass blocking?
And how many times have you watched Warmack? I watched him many times and he has very much impressed me with his run blocking.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 5th, 2013, 10:21 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I wonder when Logan gets the ax

February 5th, 2013, 10:24 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Killwill25 wrote:

This times 50. He just hasn't been a playmaker in any way, shape, or form in the return game.

Also waiting to see what happens with Backus, Cherilus, and the linebackers. Very anxious to see what happens with Avril!

February 5th, 2013, 10:36 pm
Shotty wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

This times 50. He just hasn't been a playmaker in any way, shape, or form in the return game.

Also waiting to see what happens with Backus, Cherilus, and the linebackers. Very anxious to see what happens with Avril!

Logan's contact expired. He's not currently a Lion. We don't have to do anything to "cut" him, it's a matter of "will we resign him" at this point, and I think we all know that isn't happening.

February 5th, 2013, 11:29 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Logan's contact expired. He's not currently a Lion. We don't have to do anything to "cut" him, it's a matter of "will we resign him" at this point, and I think we all know that isn't happening.

Yeah...same with Cherilus, Levy, and Durant.

February 5th, 2013, 11:36 pm
Hall of Fame Player

It will be interesting to see what OG's are still at home on the couch about a week or two before Training Camps open. I bet we can get a really good 1 or 2 year stop gap at veteran minimum.

As for Avril: Mahew said he doesn't expect to use the Franchise Tag. But, he didn't say he wouldn't use the Transition Tag. That would guarantee Avril less than half of what he made last season, while letting him actually hit the FA market. If he signs with someone, we can either match or take the 1st and 3rd round draft picks.

Now think about next year with the guys we will "LOSE" in FA:

Gosder: SEE YA!!!! we should get a 3rd round Comp pick out of his sorry butt.

Avril: ( If we don't Trans Tag him) He will definitely net us a 3rd round Comp pick.

Durrant: Probably a 4th round comp

Levy : A 4th round comp

Houston: If we lose him, I would expect a 3rd round comp.

Cory Williams: Toss up between a 3rd and 4th round comp pick.

Basically, we could have a bonanza of picks available to us next year. And while we can't trade comp picks, they will enable us to use our regular picks to move all over the place to get the guys we want.

February 5th, 2013, 11:49 pm

Shotty wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
TO be fair shotty, Chance Warmack isnt a "Good, Not Great" GUard prospect. Hes considered by many to be a top 15 pick in the draft at guard. Will he drop because hes a G, maybe, but hes considered a Great Guard prospect just like DeCastro was last year.

I don't see that bulldozer pass blocking that I want in a true top 10 pick of a guard, and his run blocking isn't GREAT by any means.

If we're talking the 8th or 9th pick it'd be different, but we can get a complete playmaker with the #5 pick. We can't mess this up by picking a guy like Warmack.

I agree I like Wasrmack a lot better at 8-12 after a trade back, and dont think we should take him at 5, but thats a far cry from the 2nd rnd as someone suggested. On top of that Warmack was gthe primary force behind Alabamas running game up the middle. B Jones was good to, but played a part of the season injured. Warmack was a 330 Bulldozing (to use your work) beast of a road grader, and EXACTLY what the Lions need to put at RG. I still dont think they should or will take him, but hes Perfect for what we need.

February 6th, 2013, 12:33 am
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
It will be interesting to see what OG's are still at home on the couch about a week or two before Training Camps open. I bet we can get a really good 1 or 2 year stop gap at veteran minimum.

As for Avril: Mahew said he doesn't expect to use the Franchise Tag. But, he didn't say he wouldn't use the Transition Tag. That would guarantee Avril less than half of what he made last season, while letting him actually hit the FA market. If he signs with someone, we can either match or take the 1st and 3rd round draft picks.

Avril: ( If we don't Trans Tag him) He will definitely net us a 3rd round Comp pick.

Basically, we could have a bonanza of picks available to us next year. And while we can't trade comp picks, they will enable us to use our regular picks to move all over the place to get the guys we want.

The transition tag is equal to the top ten salaries or 120% of the players previous salary which ever is higher and you only get right of first refusal. We would still be paying Avril the same as the FT and would get no compensation if we refuse to match, so there is no point in tagging him with the TT.

The lions would have to sign no FAs to get those comp picks. There are only 32 comp picks awarded each draft and they are only awarded if the team loses more FAs than they sign or they lose players of much better value than they sign. Also outside of Avril none of those players will sign big contracts, so they will not generate the highest comp pick which is a 3rd. Your looking at a 5th round comp pick at best for the guys not named Avril and that's probably pushing it. It's unbelievable that you would call a guy like Cherilus sorry than expect the highest compensation for him, that makes no sense.

Last edited by rao on February 6th, 2013, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 6th, 2013, 9:41 am
League MVP

DJ-B wrote:
Shotty wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

I agree I like Wasrmack a lot better at 8-12 after a trade back, and dont think we should take him at 5, but thats a far cry from the 2nd rnd as someone suggested. On top of that Warmack was gthe primary force behind Alabamas running game up the middle. B Jones was good to, but played a part of the season injured. Warmack was a 330 Bulldozing (to use your work) beast of a road grader, and EXACTLY what the Lions need to put at RG. I still dont think they should or will take him, but hes Perfect for what we need.

warmack is a stud, whoever is getting him will be happy. he s considerably better than mike iupati when iupati came out and it only took iupati a couple seasons to get recognition for his play.

February 6th, 2013, 9:44 am
If we take an OLman at #5 overall and it's not a LT, I'm going to have a fit. Just letting you guys know now...

Warmak may be a great OG, but so was Castro. Warmak MAY even be the next Hutch, but look at where Hutch was picked... Not in the top 10.

We can get by with Fox, Nagy at OG. In fact, we should be playing Nagy next to Raiola this year if we plan to move him to OC next year.

February 6th, 2013, 11:48 am
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
If we take an OLman at #5 overall and it's not a LT, I'm going to have a fit. Just letting you guys know now...

Warmak may be a great OG, but so was Castro. Warmak MAY even be the next Hutch, but look at where Hutch was picked... Not in the top 10.

We can get by with Fox, Nagy at OG. In fact, we should be playing Nagy next to Raiola this year if we plan to move him to OC next year.

I dont think anyone wants the Lions to take Warmack at #5, but in general would be nice to have him. Id be pissed too if they picked him top 10 even.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 6th, 2013, 12:13 pm
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I dont think anyone wants the Lions to take Warmack at #5, but in general would be nice to have him. Id be pissed too if they picked him top 10 even.

I agree. I would trade down if Fisher isn't there, but I really can't see us taking an OG. DE and LT are the two "premium positions" that we have to fill, that we can't get via FA. LT's, especially starting caliber first year LTs, are hard to find after the first round. Starting caliber first year DEs are hard to find after the 2nd round. I don't see us filling either of those needs in FA, given our cap situation, and I don't see how we can draft any other way.

We COULD throw Reiff to the wolves at LT, and play Fox at RT, but IMO that's horribly irresponsible.

February 6th, 2013, 12:21 pm
Hall of Fame Player

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:

The transition tag is equal to the top ten salaries or 120% of the players previous salary which ever is higher and you only get right of first refusal. We would still be paying Avril the same as the FT and would get no compensation if we refuse to match, so there is no point in tagging him with the TT.

The lions would have to sign no FAs to get those comp picks. There are only 32 comp picks awarded each draft and they are only awarded if the team loses more FAs than they sign or they lose players of much better value than they sign. Also outside of Avril none of those players will sign big contracts, so they will not generate the highest comp pick which is a 3rd. Your looking at a 5th round comp pick at best for the guys not named Avril and that's probably pushing it. It's unbelievable that you would call a guy like Cherilus sorry than expect the highest compensation for him, that makes no sense.

Have you seen our cap situation? We WILL NOT be signing any free agents other than Veteran Minimum FA's. And that is if we can clear enough room under the cap.

Cherilus is sorry. It took him what 5 years to get RT figured out? Just in time for FA, he does good enough to be ranked as the 3rd best RT in the league. So, Gos is going to make a BIG payday from someone. He will net us a 3rd round comp.
And I can see Houston and Williams getting fairly big contracts from someone else.

February 6th, 2013, 1:28 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I think it's more important to re-sign Gosder now more than ever. I didn't notice him this year, which isn't a shining endorsement, but his play has been a lot better than its been in years past. So you need to replace LT, C (possibly) and RG, RT? That's nuts. I'd be fine with having him play RT and let Reiff play LT. If Backus retires, its almost a necessity. If Backus comes back, you'll need to have Reiff play RT.

February 6th, 2013, 1:37 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I think it's more important to re-sign Gosder now more than ever. I didn't notice him this year, which isn't a shining endorsement, but his play has been a lot better than its been in years past. So you need to replace LT, C (possibly) and RG, RT? That's nuts. I'd be fine with having him play RT and let Reiff play LT. If Backus retires, its almost a necessity. If Backus comes back, you'll need to have Reiff play RT.

Riley is better suited to play RT. And there are 2 very good Starter ready LT's in the draft. 1 of them will still be there for us. Eric Fisher is compared favorably with Joe Thomas. And he is regarded as the 2nd best LT this year, but, he is gaining ground on Joekel.

Edited to add:

And either of them would anchor our O-line for the next decade. Sorry, when you need a guy like that and you have the chance to get someone like that, you don't pass up the opportunity. I don't expect us to be drafting this high again for at least 10 years. Which means, if we don't get our LT this year, we won't get one for a long time.

February 6th, 2013, 1:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next