View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 11:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Cleaning House... Reportedly KVB is Cut too!!! 
Team MVP

Post Re: Cleaning House... Reportedly KVB is Cut too!!!
rao wrote:
I'd look at Dwight Freeney to replace Avril for a year or two. If he comes cheap due to age he could probably do some good damage in the Wide-9 and with all the one on one situations he'd have. Avril is not signing a back loaded contract without a lot of guaranteed money, he's got an overinflated value due to his position and playing in a pass rushing system. He can't play the run at all and goes invisible in games a lot, so he's just not worth the money he wants. He was also a Millen 3rd round pick, he is replaceable without spending a 1st or 2nd rounder in this years draft. Replacing KVB should be the easiest thing to do since he added very little on the field this last season.

I think Freeney played RDE though when they had a 4-3. Not a bad idea, but id rather keep him on his normal side.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 6th, 2013, 12:09 pm
NFL Veteran

thelomasbrowns wrote:
rao wrote:
Replacing KVB should be the easiest thing to do since he added very little on the field this last season.

You're not trying to replace 2012 KVB. You're trying to replace 2011 KVB.

Well Jackson can probably fill in and there is always Wallace Gilberry in free agency, I don't think he'll cost much since he's a back up DE for CIN.

February 6th, 2013, 12:10 pm
QB Coach

Michael Johnson might be out there as an option but he'll probably command around what Avril is asking or more. He'll be 26 tomorrow and had 11.5 sacks this season.

February 6th, 2013, 1:08 pm
RIP Killer

DetroitLions.com wrote:
Kyle Vanden Bosch responds to being released from the Detroit Lions

Veteran defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch says he wishes he would have left the Detroit Lions in a better state than where they finished last year

Players always talk about football being a business. As a 12-year veteran, no one knows that better than Kyle Vanden Bosch.

Even after he was notified Tuesday of his release from the Detroit Lions.

"There’s definitely no hard feelings," he told Detroitlions.com. "I appreciate the opportunity the Ford Family gave me and the opportunity coach Schwartz gave me and all the respect I got from everyone in the organization."

General manager Martin Mayhew said after the season there would be significant roster turnover and the Lions began the cleaning process Tuesday with the release of Vanden Bosch and guard Stephen Peterman.

Those two releases, coupled with the release of receiver Titus Young on Monday, cleared $8.5 million, helping the Detroit Lions to drop under the projected $121 million cap for 2013.

Vanden Bosch, who was due a $2 million roster bonus in March and $5 million in base salary for 2013, said he knew this was a possibility three years ago when he signed a four-year, $26 million deal in free agency.

"I gave everything I had for three years and I understood when I signed my contract that there were going to be some decisions that had to be made after the third year because of how the contract was written up," he said.

"I just understand that my time was up and I feel a tremendous amount of pride in what I gave to the organization.

"Coach Schwartz brought me in to help change the culture and change the attitude and the first day I got there I gave it everything I had. The thing I will miss is the relationships I developed. The thing that I appreciate is the respect I got from everyone in the organization."

A number of Detroit Lions players - including Cliff Avril, Stephen Tulloch and Sammie Hill - expressed their gratitude toward Vanden Bosch via Twitter after hearing of the news he’d been released Tuesday.

• DE Cliff Avril (@cliffavril): "Heard they just release the one guy that took me under his wing, a great teammate, a great person, my brother KVB…"

• LB Stephen Tulloch (@stephentulloch): "I’ve had the honor to have played with Kyle Vanden Bosch for 6 years. He’s a true workhorse. KVB is the example of what being Pro is all about"

• DT Sammie Hill (@sammoi91): "They jus let go the heart and soul of the best dline in NFL, been a honor and privilege to play with the greatest leader in my career."

Vanden Bosch says he’ll miss the relationships forged over the last three years the most.

"That’s the thing that’s always been the most important to me, just the impact that I have on other players and the pride I took as a leader," he said. "The thing that’s important to me is my legacy.

"I was just somebody who did things the right way and didn’t take anything for granted. It was important to me that while I was playing (I was giving) 100 percent every practice and every game so that if I don’t get to play another snap then I could look back and just be proud of what I did and have no regrets and have the respect of the people I played with and played against."

He said he has no regrets about his time in Detroit, other than not being able to finish the job he was brought in to help start.

"I was hoping to lead the organization into a better position," he said. "I was hoping to be a part of a turnaround. After the first two years it seemed like we were there and then we took a step backward and I’ve been around long enough to understand that when that happens a lot of things change."

Asked about his future, Vanden Bosch said it's hard to tell, but did not close the door on continuing his career.

"I feel like I still have a lot to offer," he said. "I know that at this point in the offseason, I’m the healthiest I’ve been in a couple years.

"I love the game of football. I love every part of it; the preparation, the workouts, the film study and obviously playing, so if I get another opportunity I’m make the most of it.

"If I don’t, I won’t look back and have any regrets. I’ll look back at my whole body of work and some of the things I’ve overcome and the leadership I’ve provided and I’m very proud of that."

Vanden Bosch said a possible return to the Lions for a reduced salary has not been discussed.

February 6th, 2013, 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Class Act through and through, just like we always knew.

Kinda dissapointed in the last sentence though, why not even broach the subject with him. hes not a starter anymore, no doubt, but hed be one of the best 4th/5th DE in the league since he could still contribute as a leader off the field as a Mentor and fill-in.

February 6th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran

DJ-B wrote:

Kinda dissapointed in the last sentence though, why not even broach the subject with him. hes not a starter anymore, no doubt, but hed be one of the best 4th/5th DE in the league since he could still contribute as a leader off the field as a Mentor and fill-in.

That's probably due to how tight they will be against the cap. I'm sure they don't want to put it out there and then have to pull it back because of the changes they make in FA and the draft. He'll have a chance to see if anyone wants him and if they Lions need someone to fill out the DE spot I'm sure they call him. Or I could be way off and he just has absolutely nothing left.

February 6th, 2013, 6:14 pm
RIP Killer

http://nfltraderumors.co/lions-will-rel ... den-bosch/

I'd be shocked if scheff is cut. Hill has trade value

February 7th, 2013, 1:17 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

conversion02 wrote:
http://nfltraderumors.co/lions-will-release-de-kyle-vanden-bosch/

I'd be shocked if scheff is cut.

Based on last year only, I wouldn't be. He did not have a good season, plain and simple. I guess the question is was it just an off year or the start of a long term decline.

February 7th, 2013, 8:23 am
League MVP

rao wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

That's probably due to how tight they will be against the cap. I'm sure they don't want to put it out there and then have to pull it back because of the changes they make in FA and the draft. He'll have a chance to see if anyone wants him and if they Lions need someone to fill out the DE spot I'm sure they call him. Or I could be way off and he just has absolutely nothing left.

KVB is completely done, he has nothing left

February 7th, 2013, 9:00 am
League MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
http://nfltraderumors.co/lions-will-release-de-kyle-vanden-bosch/

I'd be shocked if scheff is cut.

Based on last year only, I wouldn't be. He did not have a good season, plain and simple. I guess the question is was it just an off year or the start of a long term decline.

I dont think scheffler is declining he s just not that great to begin with. he s somewhere bw a TE and WR. Doesnt quite have the hands and speed to be a WR and doesnt have the size and strength to be an in line blocker. he does a decent job overall but nobody will shed a tear if they cut him.

February 7th, 2013, 9:03 am
RIP Killer

I like Scheff. He is a bit of a tweener but more of a WR type TE. He generally has displayed good hands in the past, had a few issues last year. I think teams do have a hard time matching up with him on defense (as is the case with many TEs for various reasons).

February 7th, 2013, 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Trading or cutting him would free up about $1.5 million in cap space, but I don't think we can replace him cheaper than that, unless we draft someone. I don't see us drafting a TE before round 5 or so, and I don't think a rd 5 pick is going to be able to outplay Scheff. If we can trade him, fine... but I don't think cutting him is wise.

The only other alternative I can see is going with Pett, Heller and Overbay. Heller is a better run blocker, but he's no where near the pass-catching threat Scheff is... IMO it wouldn't be a smart move unless we get something for Scheff.

February 7th, 2013, 11:42 am
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Trading or cutting him would free up about $1.5 million in cap space, but I don't think we can replace him cheaper than that, unless we draft someone. I don't see us drafting a TE before round 5 or so, and I don't think a rd 5 pick is going to be able to outplay Scheff. If we can trade him, fine... but I don't think cutting him is wise.

The only other alternative I can see is going with Pett, Heller and Overbay. Heller is a better run blocker, but he's no where near the pass-catching threat Scheff is... IMO it wouldn't be a smart move unless we get something for Scheff.

Heller does a decent job catching. He doesn't get as many targets as Scheff. But, I wouldn't say his catch to drop ratio is any worse than Scheff's. For no more than we actually throw to Scheff and Heller, I would say the drop off would be minimal. And I bet we could get a 4th or 5th round pick in trade for him, (Scheff).

February 7th, 2013, 12:46 pm
Walk On

If Scheffler was cut, he'd be in Chicago in about 2 minutes.

February 7th, 2013, 1:27 pm
Veteran General Manager

I.E. wrote:
If Scheffler was cut, he'd be in Chicago in about 2 minutes.

I didn't say cut him. He is tradeable.

February 7th, 2013, 1:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next