View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl 
Varsity 1st Team

Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
conversion02 wrote:

Ummm..........NO, NO, you make you look retarded

January 17th, 2013, 7:17 am
National Champion

regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Hmm....2 Mods 2 Admins 2 Test/Tech accts is alot???? :confused:
The Team

Wasn't RJ some sort of mod? And I know Sly was at some point. That list definitely seems truncated.

Nope.

Joe, I can't wait until you get rid of that sig pic. I hurt every time I see it. :cry:

January 17th, 2013, 9:41 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Hystrix wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Hmm....2 Mods 2 Admins 2 Test/Tech accts is alot???? :confused:
The Team

Wasn't RJ some sort of mod? And I know Sly was at some point. That list definitely seems truncated.

Nope.

Joe, I can't wait until you get rid of that sig pic. I hurt every time I see it. :cry:

Done! Last weekend was the last week I had to wear it. I'll put my old one back when I have time :wink:

January 17th, 2013, 9:48 am
League MVP

Did anyone catch that Don Muhlbach, Lions long snapper was named to the ProBowl?

January 17th, 2013, 8:46 pm
The Legend wrote:
Did anyone catch that Don Muhlbach, Lions long snapper was named to the ProBowl?

Yea, I saw that. Wasn't he an NFL boob a few years back for a big blunder? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I remember that. That LS Pro Bowl thing is a joke.

January 17th, 2013, 8:51 pm
RIP Killer

frok wrote:
Ummm..........NO, NO, you make you look retarded

Lol, I stole wags drivers license picture! :cheers:

January 17th, 2013, 10:03 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Yea, I saw that. Wasn't he an NFL boob a few years back for a big blunder? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I remember that. That LS Pro Bowl thing is a joke.

he blew a comeback against the vikings by botching the snap on what would ve been the tying extra point - it was muhlbach's rookie season possibly even his first game. mariucci stuck with him though. harrington was the qb, it was one of the few times he came through with a comeback drive but as usual the lions found a silly way to lose it.

January 17th, 2013, 11:47 pm
RIP Killer

back to CJ...

ESPN wrote:
Lions: The Calvin Johnson Effect

So I've spent some of this offseason downtime fiddling with the vast database of ESPN Stats & Information. Now that I'm more familiar with "filter," "sort" and other research tools, I'm hoping to provide additional focused insight into how and why things happen in the NFC North.

First up is what I guess we should call "The Calvin Johnson Effect," although I think it's probably more complicated than that. In either event, the database reveals how dramatically defenses altered their standard approach against the Lions in 2012. It also illustrates how limited the Lions' running game was in exploiting those schemes, and highlights the challenges Johnson faced in breaking the NFL record for yards in a season.

In 2012, the Lions ran more plays (855 of a possible 1,160) against defenses with six or fewer defenders in the box than any other team. They also faced, by far, the fewest number of "stacked" boxes -- eight or more defenders within two yards of the tackle and five yards deep. That happened on only 1.6 percent of their plays (19 of 1,160).

(The Lions saw a "standard" look -- seven defenders in the box -- on 286 plays, the third-fewest in the league.)

That's an understandable split when facing a team with the NFL's best receiver and one of its least-threatening running games. A six-man box is an open invitation to run, and to their credit, the Lions tried. In 231 attempts, they rushed for an average of 4.48 yards per carry and scored four touchdowns. But they managed a first down on only 18.6 percent of those runs, tied for No. 21 in the NFL in that scenario, which to me is a bottom-line percentage that opposing defenses can live with in exchange for maximum attention on Johnson.

Now let's turn the numbers around. By definition, Johnson did most of his damage in 2012 against pass-stacked defenses. With six or fewer defenders in the box, and thus five or more in coverage, Johnson caught 91 of his 122 passes for 1,428 of his 1,964 yards and all five of his touchdowns.

What does this mean as the Lions begin constructing their team for 2013? I think it highlights the need for a running back/running scheme that can better capitalize on defenses who are dropping one or more extra defenders into coverage as frequently as they did against the Lions last season. Perhaps Jahvid Best could have filled that role, and it's one we've discussed in relation to free agent Reggie Bush as well.

Regardless, there is a world of untapped first downs available for the Lions via their running game as long as Johnson is in his prime. Let's see if they can capitalize better in 2013.

February 14th, 2013, 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
Quote:
What does this mean as the Lions begin constructing their team for 2013? I think it highlights the need for a running back/running scheme that can better capitalize on defenses who are dropping one or more extra defenders into coverage as frequently as they did against the Lions last season. Perhaps Jahvid Best could have filled that role, and it's one we've discussed in relation to free agent Reggie Bush as well.

Regardless, there is a world of untapped first downs available for the Lions via their running game as long as Johnson is in his prime. Let's see if they can capitalize better in 2013.

I've been saying that for three years, but we're hell bent on getting this "tweener" that doesn't exist. A beefed up OL and mediocre running back is a MUST HAVE for this offense.

February 14th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yup, and I think we actually have the mediocre running backs we need, but the running game being so bad is a testament to the lack of Push our "Consistently good at pass blocking" Oline has been the last few years.

Can't get 1-2 Yds on 3rd/4th and 1-2 yds to go... YOU WILL LOSE MORE OFTEN THAN NOT!

February 14th, 2013, 7:21 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Well, the obvious predictable as hell play calling sure doesn't help. It's like DCs have the OC gameplan every week.

February 15th, 2013, 9:45 am
QB Coach

Well CO2,
when you only have one real weapon with which to consistently move the ball, it's pretty safe to say that DC's don't need to be creative. For all of their effort, the fact that we didn't have a scat back who could catch and make people miss in the open field, left us with Calvin, and two RB's that consistently tried to run North and South. If the holes were wider, or the vision better, we might have shocked some teams, but the sad truth is we had two bulls that could run into things, often not moving them, but we didn't have the elusive RB. So IF we can address that through Bush, or the draft, and a new RB coach, we might be able to do something. If nothing else we could adopt the Rich Rodriguez winning strategy of 0 defense, just score more than the other guy. I doubt that would be a sound strategy but without a secondary, we may have to go there.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

February 15th, 2013, 10:15 am
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Well CO2,
when you only have one real weapon with which to consistently move the ball, it's pretty safe to say that DC's don't need to be creative. For all of their effort, the fact that we didn't have a scat back who could catch and make people miss in the open field, left us with Calvin, and two RB's that consistently tried to run North and South. If the holes were wider, or the vision better, we might have shocked some teams, but the sad truth is we had two bulls that could run into things, often not moving them, but we didn't have the elusive RB. So IF we can address that through Bush, or the draft, and a new RB coach, we might be able to do something. If nothing else we could adopt the Rich Rodriguez winning strategy of 0 defense, just score more than the other guy. I doubt that would be a sound strategy but without a secondary, we may have to go there.

I agree completely. We have one deep threat and real weapon, and a bunch of mediocre, mid-range guys that drop the damn ball all the time, no running game whatsoever, and if our OL isn't talented enough to run block well, I have no faith that they can execute a screen play. How "creative" can our OC be, really?

We can't "be great" on both sides of the ball. The salary cap doesn't allow it. We have to totally fix our offense. We need an LT, OG (I don't care if Fox/Nagy play OG for us, it has to be an improvement), #2 WR, and elusive/speed back (I'd be fine with Woodhead, as long as he only costs around $2 mill or less).

February 15th, 2013, 2:02 pm
RIP Killer

I don't buy it. Miami, buffalo, Minnesota with Harvin half the year, etc. that response of one weapon is BS. Yes, they rely on CJ far too much, but you don't need all pros to be unpredictable and look like a professional team. This team was a disaster on both sides of the ball as far as predictability. How many times over the past year did we, as fans, call a simple trap or draw on 3rd and 6 that went for 9 yards? The defense was as predictable as the offense.

February 15th, 2013, 5:14 pm
conversion02 wrote:
I don't buy it. Miami, buffalo, Minnesota with Harvin half the year, etc. that response of one weapon is BS. Yes, they rely on CJ far too much, but you don't need all pros to be unpredictable and look like a professional team. This team was a disaster on both sides of the ball as far as predictability. How many times over the past year did we, as fans, call a simple trap or draw on 3rd and 6 that went for 9 yards? The defense was as predictable as the offense.

CO2, I think the "predictable run" was a problem of inconsistency on our passing game, drops, INTs, and at least moving the ball and keeping the clock running. I more or less look at it as a "give up" play, due to not being able to be consistent. Our offense outside of CJ is absolutely horrid - drops, bad routes, no running game, no run blocking, etc. Even our "awesome pass blocking OL" may not give up many sacks, but they don't give Stafford adequate time to throw the ball.

February 15th, 2013, 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next