View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
It's either money he can easily earn through incentive bonuses or a straight pay cut. In all reality they likely said "Hey Dom, here's what we can do for you. We can cut you and you can try to find a team to give you vet minimum or we can work something out." I'm sure it didn't take more than a couple seconds for him to say where do I sign.

February 14th, 2013, 5:09 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
Just saw on Mlive that it could be very close to the vet minimum of 940K, good move.

I doubt it was a straight pay-cut though, I'm guessing it shifted his salary to some bonus next season or some BS extension that puts some of his salary in the 2014 cap year.

Keep kicking that can Mayhew... Keep kicking it...

The more moves he makes the more I hate him.

First time you've ever assumed the worst. :D

It makes no sense to do one of these 'kicking the can down the road' moves now. Those only happen when you're up against a cap-related deadline. Have some faith (for once).

February 14th, 2013, 5:26 pm

This was also the day that George Wilson came in for a visit, which reportedly went well. Coincidence?

February 14th, 2013, 5:31 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
Just saw on Mlive that it could be very close to the vet minimum of 940K, good move.

I doubt it was a straight pay-cut though, I'm guessing it shifted his salary to some bonus next season or some BS extension that puts some of his salary in the 2014 cap year.

It makes no sense to do one of these 'kicking the can down the road' moves now. Those only happen when you're up against a cap-related deadline. Have some faith (for once).

Open your mind... It makes sense to do a "kicking the can down the road move" if you're trying to spend more money in 2013 and save your career as GM.

Since he's gotten here he's killed this team with "future debt" and now that those chickens are coming home to roost we suck AND we're in cap hell. Ridiculous.

February 14th, 2013, 6:19 pm
QB Coach

Quote:
Since he's gotten here he's killed this team with "future debt" and now that those chickens are coming home to roost we suck AND we're in cap hell. Ridiculous.

Why not it works for Obama.....

Oops thread jack.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

February 14th, 2013, 7:37 pm
Team MVP

ESPN said regarding FA that the best fit for Reggie Bush would be Detroit.

Thoughts?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 14th, 2013, 8:31 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Open your mind... It makes sense to do a "kicking the can down the road move" if you're trying to spend more money in 2013 and save your career as GM.

Open my mind to a conspiracy theory? What is this, Fox News? Oops thread jack.

Just once I wish you would admit you're wrong:

Quote:
Dominic Raiola explains decision to restructure contract with Lions
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/2/14 ... roit-lions
By Sean Yuille on Feb 14, 8:15p

Detroit Lions center Dominic Raiola restructured his contract because he didn't want to play for another team.

In order to avoid becoming a cap casualty like fellow offensive lineman Stephen Peterman, Detroit Lions center Dominic Raiola had to restructure his contract. Since he is entering the final year of his contract, this means he is taking a pay cut. It's not clear just how big the pay cut is, but considering his old base salary for 2013 was $4.05 million, it's probably pretty significant.

Had the Lions decided to release Raiola, it's possible that he could have landed elsewhere with a new contract. He didn't have any interest in seeing that happen, though. Raiola made it clear that he didn't want to play for another team or leave Detroit, and he told Jennifer Hammond on Thursday that his desire to remain with the Lions is why he accepted a pay cut.

Quote:
Jennifer Hammond @HammerFox2
#Lions Center Dominic Raiola told me biggest reason he agreed to restructure his deal was "I love playing in Detroit and I love Detroit."

Raiola admitted to the Free Press that the talk of him potentially being cut was getting "a little uncomfortable." He started questioning whether he could play for another team and if he would even want to, so he ultimately decided to take less money to stay with the Lions.

Say what you want about his play, but there's no denying that Raiola is as loyal as they come. He has been with the Lions for a long time, and while many fans probably wish they would have just released him, it's nice to see how much this team and city mean to him.

February 14th, 2013, 10:55 pm
Team MVP

Agree. Love the loyalty. Also love the improvement in our cap number.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 15th, 2013, 9:18 am
3rd Round Selection

He's got 3 kids who, I guess, have lived their whole life in the area. He's pocketed enough that giving up $2.5m max (ie whatever he would have been offered by another team less the $1m he'll make here) to not uproot his family is worth it for him.

I'm pleased. He's not a world beater, but we were looking at too many changes on our o-line this offseason and having some continuity at that price is a good thing IMO.

February 15th, 2013, 9:37 am
NFL Veteran

The best thing about him taking a pay cut is now they won't have to automatically start him. He was making so much money before the only way to justify it was for him to start, but now their should be some sort of competition at the spot because he will be making back-up money and the Lions have made it obvious they are ready for the future at center.

February 15th, 2013, 10:03 am
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

wjb? You do realize that every single GM in the league " Kicks that can" don't you?

February 15th, 2013, 11:44 am
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

wjb? You do realize that every single GM in the league " Kicks that can" don't you?

I disagree Billy. Mayhew extended and put off more money than anyone except perhaps the Redskins. Good teams like NE extend players, but they don't do the suicidal "take salary and turn it into later guaranteed money" as much as Mayhew has. Mayhew literally robs from Peter (future season) to pay Paul , (current season) and the chickens have come home to roost.

It's ok to do this with one player, or a player that you're going to keep, but when you start doing it with players like Nate B that have no business cashing their weekly paycheck, there's a problem.

Further, Mayhew FAILED horrendously to cut or trade players like Stephen Peterman, Corey Williams, Nate B, and Dom Raiola, and screwed himself with the Avril deal. That cost us nearly $30 million dollars, and that's flat out ridiculous. That's 5-6 solid players in FA. That's filling all of the gaps on our team. That's what a good GM would have done and fielded a better team for less money. Mayhew is flat out garbage.

February 15th, 2013, 2:23 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Open my mind to a conspiracy theory? What is this, Fox News? Oops thread jack.

Just once I wish you would admit you're wrong:

Quote:
Dominic Raiola explains decision to restructure contract with Lions
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/2/14 ... roit-lions
By Sean Yuille on Feb 14, 8:15p

Detroit Lions center Dominic Raiola restructured his contract because he didn't want to play for another team.

In order to avoid becoming a cap casualty like fellow offensive lineman Stephen Peterman, Detroit Lions center Dominic Raiola had to restructure his contract. Since he is entering the final year of his contract, this means he is taking a pay cut. It's not clear just how big the pay cut is, but considering his old base salary for 2013 was $4.05 million, it's probably pretty significant.

Had the Lions decided to release Raiola, it's possible that he could have landed elsewhere with a new contract. He didn't have any interest in seeing that happen, though. Raiola made it clear that he didn't want to play for another team or leave Detroit, and he told Jennifer Hammond on Thursday that his desire to remain with the Lions is why he accepted a pay cut.

Quote:
Jennifer Hammond @HammerFox2
#Lions Center Dominic Raiola told me biggest reason he agreed to restructure his deal was "I love playing in Detroit and I love Detroit."

Raiola admitted to the Free Press that the talk of him potentially being cut was getting "a little uncomfortable." He started questioning whether he could play for another team and if he would even want to, so he ultimately decided to take less money to stay with the Lions.

Say what you want about his play, but there's no denying that Raiola is as loyal as they come. He has been with the Lions for a long time, and while many fans probably wish they would have just released him, it's nice to see how much this team and city mean to him.

What's the conspiracy theory? That I didn't think Raiola would take a straight pay-cut, and that I didn't think Mayhew had the stones to ask him for one? That's a conspiracy theory?

You act as if I was unjustified in thinking we moved his salary down the road, but the fact of the matter is, Mayhew has shown time and time again that its his MO.

Admit I was wrong? Are you kidding me? You think that's difficult for me? I do it all the time. I have no problem admitting that I didn't think Raiola would take a straight pay-cut, or that Mayhew would ask him to take one. The details have yet to be released, so we'll see what the real deal is sometime next week, but I have no problem admitting that it wasn't what I thought would happen.

That said, IMO it says something about the quality of Raiola's play, that he was so paranoid that if we cut him he wouldn't get another starting job anywhere else, and it supports my contention that Raiola is complete garbage and should have been cut or traded years ago.

February 15th, 2013, 2:39 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
What's the conspiracy theory? That I didn't think Raiola would take a straight pay-cut, and that I didn't think Mayhew had the stones to ask him for one? That's a conspiracy theory?

You act as if I was unjustified in thinking we moved his salary down the road, but the fact of the matter is, Mayhew has shown time and time again that its his MO.

Admit I was wrong? Are you kidding me? You think that's difficult for me? I do it all the time. I have no problem admitting that I didn't think Raiola would take a straight pay-cut, or that Mayhew would ask him to take one. The details have yet to be released, so we'll see what the real deal is sometime next week, but I have no problem admitting that it wasn't what I thought would happen.

That said, IMO it says something about the quality of Raiola's play, that he was so paranoid that if we cut him he wouldn't get another starting job anywhere else, and it supports my contention that Raiola is complete garbage and should have been cut or traded years ago.

I agree that Raiola was never very good, but don't twist this into something more than it is or that it some how says you were right about him years ago. He is 34 years old and at that age very few players are interested in going to a new team or confident that they can take on a new system. His comments about being "a little uncomfortable" is the norm for a player that has been with the same team for more than 10 years.

February 15th, 2013, 3:27 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I agree that Raiola was never very good, but don't twist this into something more than it is or that it some how says you were right about him years ago. He is 34 years old and at that age very few players are interested in going to a new team or confident that they can take on a new system. His comments about being "a little uncomfortable" is the norm for a player that has been with the same team for more than 10 years.

He's never been good, and our OL has sucked since drafting him in 2002, regardless as to who we put next to him. I don't buy this "he used to be good, but now he's old" argument.

February 15th, 2013, 3:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 44  Next