View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mayhew 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Mayhew
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
We could trade or cut every player on this roster and field a team of new draft picks and undrafted FA's. Advance all dead money to this year. And have about $115 Million dollars to start over with next year. That might make someone on this site happy. LOL.

We'd probably be better off Billy. Most of the expansion teams have had more success than this horrible squad.

That said, again, like aways, you refuse to address anything on the merits, and take things to a ridiculous extreme in an attempt to de-legitimize someone's perspective.

It was only a joke. Thus the LOL. Take a chill pill man.
And even though it was a joke, the more I thought about it, the better I liked the idea. If we redo Staffords contract and then keep him, CJ, Suh, Fairley, and everyone we have drafted since the new CBA took effect, and then trade everyone else we could for draft picks, and then cut the rest, I think we could field a team with a good salary cap situation. We have 7 draft picks this year right now if we count on getting a comp pick. If we only get 7 draft picks from traded players, that's 14. Plus the 4 starters we kept is 18. Plus the 6 draft picks from last year is 24. All 22 starting spots filled with 2 players left over. Fill out the rest of the roster with cheap free agents and undrafted rookies.
The team would likely stink this year. But, the Salary Cap problem would be history. And we would have a really good start on a rebuilding the roster around our stars.

February 15th, 2013, 11:30 am
Rookie Player of the Year

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
We could trade or cut every player on this roster and field a team of new draft picks and undrafted FA's. Advance all dead money to this year. And have about $115 Million dollars to start over with next year. That might make someone on this site happy. LOL.

We'd probably be better off Billy. Most of the expansion teams have had more success than this horrible squad.

That said, again, like aways, you refuse to address anything on the merits, and take things to a ridiculous extreme in an attempt to de-legitimize someone's perspective.

It was only a joke. Thus the LOL. Take a chill pill man.
And even though it was a joke, the more I thought about it, the better I liked the idea. If we redo Staffords contract and then keep him, CJ, Suh, Fairley, and everyone we have drafted since the new CBA took effect, and then trade everyone else we could for draft picks, and then cut the rest, I think we could field a team with a good salary cap situation. We have 7 draft picks this year right now if we count on getting a comp pick. If we only get 7 draft picks from traded players, that's 14. Plus the 4 starters we kept is 18. Plus the 6 draft picks from last year is 24. All 22 starting spots filled with 2 players left over. Fill out the rest of the roster with cheap free agents and undrafted rookies.
The team would likely stink this year. But, the Salary Cap problem would be history. And we would have a really good start on a rebuilding the roster around our stars.

Almost every team with good top-tier players (Ravens, Steelers, Pats) is having serious cap issues (there's an article about a new team practically every day on PFT). That's not a Lions-specific problem. It's simple really--the contracts for the stars get bigger, the salary cap has remained flat. As I've argued, we're in a bit of a unique situation because our very high draft picks before the rookie wage scale took effect have all worked out (which is a good problem to have IMO). To pin this on Mayhew is just the usual WJB smartest-guy-in-the-room nonsense.

February 15th, 2013, 11:39 am
Our problem isn't that we have "too many stars." It's that Mayhew has ran this team into cap hell by kicking the can down the road with the contracts of: Nate B, Stafford, and Suh

I have outlined specifically how we could have saved almost $30 million last season, and we could have used that money to PAY DOWN Stafford, Suh and CJ, AND had a better team in the process.

Mayhew is flat out horrid.

February 15th, 2013, 2:18 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
We have 5 million under the cap right now, but I expect Stafford to get a new deal which should net us about 10M more. With $15M and possibly a few other roster moves, we'll have space to add 1 or 2 decent players and re-sign a couple of our guys.

Re-doing Stafford's deal should only net us about $5 million dollars, and that's if we extend him. Most of his money is guaranteed at this point, and there really isn't any room to push more of his salary to the following season.

He's going to make $21 million this season, the lowest we could likely move his cap number to is $15 million, and I really think $18 million is more realistic.

February 15th, 2013, 2:32 pm
Team MVP

What is our cap number right now anyway?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 15th, 2013, 3:12 pm
kdsberman wrote:

We were $5 million under the cap without Raiola's "restructure." The vet min of a player of his tenure is around $1 mill, his old salary was $4 mill, the most we could have saved was $3 mill.

That means we're about $8 mill under the cap, without re-signing Houston, Avril, Durant, Levy, or any of our rookies... Like I said, we're screwed.

February 15th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

We were $5 million under the cap without Raiola's "restructure." The vet min of a player of his tenure is around $1 mill, his old salary was $4 mill, the most we could have saved was $3 mill.

That means we're about $8 mill under the cap, without re-signing Houston, Avril, Durant, Levy, or any of our rookies... Like I said, we're screwed.

Look to Burleson to renegotiate and take a lower amount. We'll also most likely extend Stafford like we did CJ last year, which will buy us a lot of room.

February 15th, 2013, 4:48 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Look to Burleson to renegotiate and take a lower amount. We'll also most likely extend Stafford like we did CJ last year, which will buy us a lot of room.

Stafford can save us $3-5 million, Nate B really can't "renegotiate" much. Most of his $$$. Is already guaranteed. We may be able to free up around $1 mill with Nate, but it's a waste of money. We should leave his K alone and cut him next year.

February 15th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Walk On

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Stafford can save us $3-5 million, Nate B really can't "renegotiate" much. Most of his $$$. Is already guaranteed. We may be able to free up around $1 mill with Nate, but it's a waste of money. We should leave his K alone and cut him next year.

Can we give Suh an extension this early to lower the cap space? Because I know he's high on the cap or is there something in the NFL rules preventing us.

February 21st, 2013, 4:07 am
RIP Killer

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew says he loves lineman, not receivers

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew has a well known sweet tooth when it comes to receivers.

Whenever a receiver becomes available in free agency, the Lions are seemingly on a short list of interested teams. Mayhew has drafted four receivers since taking over in 2009. Ryan Broyles and former Lions receiver Titus Young were second-round draft picks the past two years.

Case closed, right?

Mayhew disagrees.

During a recent question-and-answer session with local media members at the NFL owners meetings, Mayhew turned the tables on reporters who believe he is addicted to receivers.

"Do you guys know what position we've drafted more than any other position in the last four drafts?" Mayhew asked.

Obviously, that was a leading question.

Mayhew had the answer.

"You know what's interesting? The past three drafts in a row, what have we drafted in the first round, the first pick? Lineman," Mayhew said. "When you talk about what people are projecting, and what people think we are going to draft this year, anybody saying lineman?"
Mayhew's answer was accurate, but a little broad.

Detroit did select defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, defensive tackle Nick Fairley and tackle Riley Reiff in the first-round of his past three drafts. So yes, he has gone after lineman early in the draft, but he is including both sides of the ball.

Mayhew has selected five defensive lineman since 2009 (Sammie Hill, Willie Young, Ronnell Lewis, Suh and Fairley). He has selected four offensive tackles (Lydon Murtha, Jason Fox, Johnny Culbreath and Reiff) during the same time span. If Mayhew is including all lineman, technically he has selected nine of them versus four receivers.

However, Mayhew has also drafted five defensive backs (Louis Delmas, Amari Spievey, Bill Bentley, Chris Greenwood and Jonte Green) since becoming general manager.

"How about this one?" Mayhew asked. "Last year, defensive line. Two first-round picks. One, 13th overall; one, second overall; seven million dollar defensive end, Kyle Vanden Bosch; five millions dollar defensive tackle, Corey Williams. Draft choices, Ronnell, Willie, Sammie. What do I love? What do I really love? Franchised Cliff (Avril)."

What should you take away from Mayhew's "riddle me this" session?

It might mean players like Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner and Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones are not options with Detroit's first-round pick (fifth overall). That could mean players like Central Michigan tackle Eric Fisher, Texas A&M tackle Luke Joeckel, Oklahoma tackle Lane Johnson, or Alabama guard Chance Warmack, could potentially land in Detroit.

Mayhew's statements also suggest Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei and BYU defensive end Ezekiel Ansah are possibly on his wish list.

What about the three college receivers who previously visited Allen Park?

"It's uncanny how these things happen," Mayhew said. "I gave Joann (Lenden, executive assistant) a list of 12 names and said bring in these guys in. They were all different positions. I said, 'Whatever the schedule is, however it works out, Pro Days, coaches are in or out, just bring those guys in.' Then I get an e-mail. The first one is a receiver. The second one is a receiver. The third one is a receiver. You guys probably thought I did that on purpose. Just a coincidence."

March 25th, 2013, 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew says he loves lineman, not receivers

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew has a well known sweet tooth when it comes to receivers.

Whenever a receiver becomes available in free agency, the Lions are seemingly on a short list of interested teams. Mayhew has drafted four receivers since taking over in 2009. Ryan Broyles and former Lions receiver Titus Young were second-round draft picks the past two years.

Case closed, right?

Mayhew disagrees.

During a recent question-and-answer session with local media members at the NFL owners meetings, Mayhew turned the tables on reporters who believe he is addicted to receivers.

LOL. We are going OT. Because we like doing things 2 in a row. LOL.

"Do you guys know what position we've drafted more than any other position in the last four drafts?" Mayhew asked.

Obviously, that was a leading question.

Mayhew had the answer.

"You know what's interesting? The past three drafts in a row, what have we drafted in the first round, the first pick? Lineman," Mayhew said. "When you talk about what people are projecting, and what people think we are going to draft this year, anybody saying lineman?"
Mayhew's answer was accurate, but a little broad.

Detroit did select defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, defensive tackle Nick Fairley and tackle Riley Reiff in the first-round of his past three drafts. So yes, he has gone after lineman early in the draft, but he is including both sides of the ball.

Mayhew has selected five defensive lineman since 2009 (Sammie Hill, Willie Young, Ronnell Lewis, Suh and Fairley). He has selected four offensive tackles (Lydon Murtha, Jason Fox, Johnny Culbreath and Reiff) during the same time span. If Mayhew is including all lineman, technically he has selected nine of them versus four receivers.

However, Mayhew has also drafted five defensive backs (Louis Delmas, Amari Spievey, Bill Bentley, Chris Greenwood and Jonte Green) since becoming general manager.

"How about this one?" Mayhew asked. "Last year, defensive line. Two first-round picks. One, 13th overall; one, second overall; seven million dollar defensive end, Kyle Vanden Bosch; five millions dollar defensive tackle, Corey Williams. Draft choices, Ronnell, Willie, Sammie. What do I love? What do I really love? Franchised Cliff (Avril)."

What should you take away from Mayhew's "riddle me this" session?

It might mean players like Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner and Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones are not options with Detroit's first-round pick (fifth overall). That could mean players like Central Michigan tackle Eric Fisher, Texas A&M tackle Luke Joeckel, Oklahoma tackle Lane Johnson, or Alabama guard Chance Warmack, could potentially land in Detroit.

Mayhew's statements also suggest Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei and BYU defensive end Ezekiel Ansah are possibly on his wish list.

What about the three college receivers who previously visited Allen Park?

"It's uncanny how these things happen," Mayhew said. "I gave Joann (Lenden, executive assistant) a list of 12 names and said bring in these guys in. They were all different positions. I said, 'Whatever the schedule is, however it works out, Pro Days, coaches are in or out, just bring those guys in.' Then I get an e-mail. The first one is a receiver. The second one is a receiver. The third one is a receiver. You guys probably thought I did that on purpose. Just a coincidence."

March 26th, 2013, 10:53 am
More of the same. Mayhew is a moron.

March 29th, 2013, 2:58 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:

because he's pointing put that he HAS drafted linemen???

I don't get it.....

March 29th, 2013, 4:23 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I don't get it.....

He lumps offensive and defensive "lineman" to make his point, which is a defensive, ridiculous, and insecure point. He's addressing an issue that would be best cleared up with a "I draft the best player for the team," and he's making himself look like a baffoon. Would he call DBs WRs if someone said he's in love with lineman? That's what he's doing here...

Further, his statements contradict his alleged draft strategy (which I have said all along is a BS draft strategy and a complete lie... he uses "BPA" as a marketing ploy to cover his backward approach at team building). Does he draft the BPA, or does he have a strategy (a flawed strategy) to intentionally draft CBs in later rounds? Why bring up the number of draft picks spent on each position if he's really just drafting the BPA?

Further, why bring up that we over-paid DLman to make the point? Does that make you a good GM that Suh is the highest paid DT, and that we over-paid a washed up KBV and over-paid Cliff Avril? The guy is an idiot, flat out. He doesn't have a clear strategy, or philosophy, period, and it shows in his communication to the public.

March 29th, 2013, 4:51 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I don't get it.....

He lumps offensive and defensive "lineman" to make his point, which is a defensive, ridiculous, and insecure point. He's addressing an issue that would be best cleared up with a "I draft the best player for the team," and he's making himself look like a baffoon. Would he call DBs WRs if someone said he's in love with lineman? That's what he's doing here...

Further, his statements contradict his alleged draft strategy (which I have said all along is a BS draft strategy and a complete lie... he uses "BPA" as a marketing ploy to cover his backward approach at team building). Does he draft the BPA, or does he have a strategy (a flawed strategy) to intentionally draft CBs in later rounds? Why bring up the number of draft picks spent on each position if he's really just drafting the BPA?

Further, why bring up that we over-paid DLman to make the point? Does that make you a good GM that Suh is the highest paid DT, and that we over-paid a washed up KBV and over-paid Cliff Avril? The guy is an idiot, flat out. He doesn't have a clear strategy, or philosophy, period, and it shows in his communication to the public.

Um I think you are reading WAY too deep into this. the article is in response to critism that he favoirs WR's. all he did was point out that the evidence is to the contrary.

If he had used the word "trenches" instead of "Linemen" would that change anythign for you? Most quality GM's will say that you build a team from teh trenches out....thats all he is saying. he just used the word Linemen instead...

I understand you really want to hate all over mayhew...but yer stretching here :wink:

March 29th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next