View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2014, 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Play in 2013 Pro Bowl
I agree, but it's not that leshoure can't catch, pett is horrid, scheff is an oaf, etc. this season was the biggest accumulation of the worst timed drops, piss poor throws from staff, and pathetic play calling I've seen in years. There is talent there. You can disagree with that all you want (even though I will agree they need a #2 WR). How many throws did stafford completely F up where he had a guy wide open and he threw a pathetic ball yards behind, in front of, or above a WR? Dozens, in key situations. This team was pathetic on 3rd down and timing was a big part of it. Just seemed like nobody was on the same page...and linehan didn't change the gameplan to try and fix that.

February 15th, 2013, 5:38 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

conversion02 wrote:
I agree, but it's not that leshoure can't catch, pett is horrid, scheff is an oaf, etc. this season was the biggest accumulation of the worst timed drops, piss poor throws from staff, and pathetic play calling I've seen in years. There is talent there. You can disagree with that all you want (even though I will agree they need a #2 WR). How many throws did stafford completely F up where he had a guy wide open and he threw a pathetic ball yards behind, in front of, or above a WR? Dozens, in key situations. This team was pathetic on 3rd down and timing was a big part of it. Just seemed like nobody was on the same page...and linehan didn't change the gameplan to try and fix that.

I know this is a stretch, but I haven't seen it discussed and wanted to bring it up: how much do you think the funk the offense was in (particularly in the first half of the season) was due to Titus intentionally effing things up?

February 16th, 2013, 6:31 am
Hall of Fame Player

Or it could have been what amounted to Stafford being in his sophomore slump season.

February 16th, 2013, 9:46 am
Varsity 1st Team

conversion02 wrote:

I had been thinking this since Staffords rookie season, how little of it we saw. He tosses the ball high very often. I am not convinced this guy is the future. Is he better than what we've had......I'm not quite so sure on that. I wanted to see Hill come in on a number of occations this past season. Hill does not have as strong of an arm but I feel he is much more accurate. How many of the "drops" were partly the Qb's fault due to the quality of the pass. Or look at YAC, if the ball would have been closer to target how many more yrds could the receivers have gotten, CJ especially. I've also read that Stafford is not very vocal.....don't really know. A QB needs to lead by example and be a vocal leader IMO.

I would really like to see Stafford get in a receivers face for a drop/bad route. That would do much more good than the shaking of the head and looking at the ground.

Anyway, Here's to next season :cheers: Hope its a good one.

Frok

February 17th, 2013, 9:07 am
RIP Killer

frok wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

I had been thinking this since Staffords rookie season, how little of it we saw. He tosses the ball high very often. I am not convinced this guy is the future. Is he better than what we've had......I'm not quite so sure on that. I wanted to see Hill come in on a number of occations this past season. Hill does not have as strong of an arm but I feel he is much more accurate. How many of the "drops" were partly the Qb's fault due to the quality of the pass. Or look at YAC, if the ball would have been closer to target how many more yrds could the receivers have gotten, CJ especially. I've also read that Stafford is not very vocal.....don't really know. A QB needs to lead by example and be a vocal leader IMO.

I would really like to see Stafford get in a receivers face for a drop/bad route. That would do much more good than the shaking of the head and looking at the ground.

Anyway, Here's to next season :cheers: Hope its a good one.

Frok

This is what I've been saying all season. The accuracy just isn't there and neither is the leadership.

February 17th, 2013, 9:58 am

What's not there are receivers that run crisp routes on a consistent basis and an O-line that gives him passing lanes to throw through. Let's not forget any resemblance of a running game to open things up downfield and the dropped passes. I get as frustrated as anyone when he makes bad throws and poor decisions but I'm willing to bet there are about twenty teams that would line up to have Stafford as their QB. As far as the accuracy and being vocal goes ask Eli how important that is with a balanced offense and a dominant defense and two amazing catches. Eli might be one of the quietest QBs in NFL history, is a TO machine, with I believe a less than 60% competition percentage. I remember just a few seasons ago all the Eli has to go talk and Eli's game hasn't grown by leaps and bounds but they won Super Bowls so now all those things they complained are now not as big of an issue. Stafford still has a lot of work to do but with no running game and for most of the season Calvin and a bunch of "who's that guy lining up out wide" he still almost threw for 5,000 yards in back to back seasons.

February 17th, 2013, 10:46 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

i just wish stafford would make adjustments at the line and take more time to read defenses. i dont blame him for WR drops, or pine for shaun hill(the master of the pretty loss) or that other bullshit but i do wish he got in young's face

February 17th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Stafford is Brett Farve jr. He has the talent, in some cases so much he gets sloppy/lazy. Sometimes he makes bad decisions (more than many game manager qbs since they are trained not to)... sometimes he slings the ball into an incredibly tight windows like its shot out of a cannon. He can chuck it 60 yds if needed. He will make spectacular passes, especially with CJ as his target.

I dont think he will ever be Brady, Brees or Peyton when it comes to top end accuracy fit for quick pass game, but as mentioned, give him a top 15 D AND a Running game (dont care about the yardage, just need to have at least 1 breakaway threat a few plays a game and be able to get 1-2yds on 3rd/4th and short) and he can be a Playoff QB every year.

February 17th, 2013, 3:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

Lets not forget Stafford just turned 25 this month. He is still a kid and basically just got done with his second season due to injury. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Is he worth $20 million a year? No, but I do think $12-15 million a year is a reasonable number. He will never be the next Peyton Manning, Drew Brees or Tom Brady but I do think he can be similar to Brett Favre, Eli Manning, or Matt Ryan. One thing Stafford does need is a o-line and a running game. Give him that and I think he is good enough to consistently take us to the playoffs.

February 18th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Doggin' it:

Quote:
Calvin Johnson broke receiving record playing through broken fingers
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-fingers/
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 21, 2013, 12:21 PM EST

Getty Images
Lions receiver Calvin Johnson broke the NFL record for receiving yards in a season in 2012. And that was even harder than previously known.

Johnson played with at least two broken fingers most of the season and is still being seen around Detroit with his hand wrapped, Chris McCosky of the Detroit News reports.

Although Johnson was banged up a lot last season, the fingers weren’t among the injuries the Lions listed on their official injury report. Johnson frequently missed practice with knee and ankle injuries and also said at one point during the season that he had suffered a concussion and nerve damage, although he later backtracked on that claim, after questions began to be raised about why the Lions’ medical staff cleared Johnson to return to the game in which he allegedly suffered that concussion.

Asked about it today at the NFL Scouting Combine, Lions coach Jim Schwartz would not confirm that Johnson had broken fingers, but he hinted that the report was true.

“I am not going to comment on any of our players’ health,” he said. “But that’s not uncommon for a wide receiver. . . . We don’t have any injury reports this time of year. And you know how I am about injuries.”

And we know how Johnson is about injuries: He plays through them. And plays like the best receiver in the NFL.

February 21st, 2013, 1:45 pm

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Doggin' it:

Quote:
Calvin Johnson broke receiving record playing through broken fingers
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-fingers/
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 21, 2013, 12:21 PM EST

Getty Images
Lions receiver Calvin Johnson broke the NFL record for receiving yards in a season in 2012. And that was even harder than previously known.

Johnson played with at least two broken fingers most of the season and is still being seen around Detroit with his hand wrapped, Chris McCosky of the Detroit News reports.

Although Johnson was banged up a lot last season, the fingers weren’t among the injuries the Lions listed on their official injury report. Johnson frequently missed practice with knee and ankle injuries and also said at one point during the season that he had suffered a concussion and nerve damage, although he later backtracked on that claim, after questions began to be raised about why the Lions’ medical staff cleared Johnson to return to the game in which he allegedly suffered that concussion.

Asked about it today at the NFL Scouting Combine, Lions coach Jim Schwartz would not confirm that Johnson had broken fingers, but he hinted that the report was true.

“I am not going to comment on any of our players’ health,” he said. “But that’s not uncommon for a wide receiver. . . . We don’t have any injury reports this time of year. And you know how I am about injuries.”

And we know how Johnson is about injuries: He plays through them. And plays like the best receiver in the NFL.

that dogging it statement becomes sillier each day. the is a very good chance he will be looked at as the best to ever play the game. with everything wrong with this team it still boggles my mind that one would choose to wine about Calvin Johnson.

February 22nd, 2013, 2:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4