View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 4:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cliff Avril may want Mario Williams type money 
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Cliff Avril may want Mario Williams type money
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139781/article/detroit-lions-cliff-avril-wants-mario-williamstype-pay

I'm a little surprised that no one has brought this up yet but maybe it's because this is something we've all kind of already assumed. Though the quote doesn't actually have him saying "I want Mario Williams type of money", he's not ruling it out. This article just confirms that he's holding out for a contract that is bigger than one we can really give him.

February 18th, 2013, 11:52 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Cliff Avril may want Mario Williams type money
Pretty sure they hinted that he was saying last years offer ($30m for 3) isnt going to cut it, and since I dont think he is worth over 8,/yr if hes getting 4-6 years, i think you pass and move on.

February 18th, 2013, 12:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

i was glad to hear this because now we can officially start moving on without him. I wish him well though, he's a good guy.

February 18th, 2013, 12:21 pm
Killwill25 wrote:
i was glad to hear this because now we can officially start moving on without him. I wish him well though, he's a good guy.

He must have raped your children too...

:roll:

February 18th, 2013, 12:42 pm
QB Coach

I'll see if I can find the video of the interview PFT did with him. I think someone else posted it on here. The number one thing in choosing where to sign was money. While I like Avril, I've been resigned to the fact that he would not be re-signed and we'd have to move on without him. If he would have accepted a reasonable contract I'd have been all for bringing him back, but I think he's going to try and break the bank wherever he goes. I'd be in talks with him and other teams about a potential trade, see if where he wants to go wants him then franchise tag and trade him. Obviously we'd have to take less value because they know we don't have leverage, if we had to keep him at the tag salary it couldn't be done, but we might be able to wrangle a couple mid round picks from a team to ensure they get him. While technically against the rules, maybe it could work.

Yes yes I know its not going to happen so before the naysayers show up I know I'm just dreaming.

February 18th, 2013, 12:44 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I'll see if I can find the video of the interview PFT did with him. I think someone else posted it on here. The number one thing in choosing where to sign was money. While I like Avril, I've been resigned to the fact that he would not be re-signed and we'd have to move on without him. If he would have accepted a reasonable contract I'd have been all for bringing him back, but I think he's going to try and break the bank wherever he goes. I'd be in talks with him and other teams about a potential trade, see if where he wants to go wants him then franchise tag and trade him. Obviously we'd have to take less value because they know we don't have leverage, if we had to keep him at the tag salary it couldn't be done, but we might be able to wrangle a couple mid round picks from a team to ensure they get him. While technically against the rules, maybe it could work.

Yes yes I know its not going to happen so before the naysayers show up I know I'm just dreaming.

It's not against the rules to tag him and trade him. I would tell any team, "you want him in by training camp, give us a 4th or 5th rounder for him." That's nothing if they're willing to shell out the type of K that he wants.

Otherwise they can pull the FT and let him sign where ever at the last possible minute, but after he passes the physical, etc. it's likely going to be 1/2 way through the preseason.

February 18th, 2013, 12:52 pm
QB Coach

Tagging a player and later trading him is not against the rules, but I thought that technically, tagging the player just to trade him is. A few years ago there was some buzz about this but I forget which team was involved with it.

February 18th, 2013, 1:11 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Tagging a player and later trading him is not against the rules, but I thought that technically, tagging the player just to trade him is. A few years ago there was some buzz about this but I forget which team was involved with it.

GB and Flynn?

February 18th, 2013, 2:09 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Tagging someone also requires that you have the cap available to tag him. And tag and trade only works if he signs the tag. He could refuse to sign which would eliminate all trade attempts.

February 18th, 2013, 4:14 pm
njroar wrote:
Tagging someone also requires that you have the cap available to tag him. And tag and trade only works if he signs the tag. He could refuse to sign which would eliminate all trade attempts.

You don't have to be under that cap until a certain date in the offseason, and I believe its after the draft.

February 18th, 2013, 4:15 pm
NFL Veteran

If someone is willing to pay that big a contract for him, it's probably better for the Lions to just let walk and take the 3rd rd comp pick later. If they tag him and he signs the tender then the money would be tied up until the trade goes through so it could affect free agency. Also if all they can get is a 4th or 5th a late 3rd rd comp pick would be a little better.

February 18th, 2013, 6:09 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Here's the problem: If the Lions can't resign Avril, their hands become very much tied in the draft. Meaning, the loss of Avril combined with the loss of KVB will force them to take a DE with their first pick, or otherwise trade/sign someone of Avril's quality. Perhaps they have already done extensive scouting and like one of the top DE, but I wouldn't want to have such limited options.

February 18th, 2013, 6:12 pm
NFL Veteran

Blueskies wrote:
Here's the problem: If the Lions can't resign Avril, their hands become very much tied in the draft. Meaning, the loss of Avril combined with the loss of KVB will force them to take a DE with their first pick, or otherwise trade/sign someone of Avril's quality. Perhaps they have already done extensive scouting and like one of the top DE, but I wouldn't want to have such limited options.

They have yet to draft a player purely on need, they have had plenty of chances and to their credit/detriment they have stuck with their idea of BPA in the first round.

February 18th, 2013, 6:22 pm
Blueskies wrote:

You say that about Avril as if he is a must replace... But what about replacing Backus? IMO LT is as big of a need or greater.

On this team a LT is more important than a DE.

February 18th, 2013, 6:29 pm
rao wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

They have yet to draft a player purely on need, they have had plenty of chances and to their credit/detriment they have stuck with their idea of BPA in the first round.

I agree, but if anyone can't see that this BPA shat is busted, they're blind.

February 18th, 2013, 6:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next