View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 9:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Rate the draft: 2010 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Rate the draft: 2010
Well, it's been about 3 years now. How would you rate the draft?

Picks:
Suh (1)

B- Great in the first season, but performance seems to have declined. Suspensions and thug reputation hurt. I still think he's a top 10 DT, but he needs to step it up.

Best (1)

D The concussion concerns were there, but the Lions took him anyway. When he was on the field he exceeded expectations, unfortunately he played too few games in too few years and will likely never play again.

Spievey (3)

D Couldn't cut it as a starting CB. Shouldn't be a starting safety. Maybe a decent depth player, but in the third round you still expect starters.

Fox (4)

Incomplete Knew this guy was a project when he was taken. Still hasn't had a lot of time to show what he has. Should see in the next season or two.

Young (7)

A Decent situational pass rusher found in the 7th round. Good value for where he was taken.

Toone (7)

C Didn't expect anything from him, and he didn't deliver.

Overall, I would say it was a very poor draft (unfortunately), even more poor when you consider that the Lions were picking second. A key reason as to why the Lions went 4-10 last season. Maybe the key reason.

February 19th, 2013, 12:10 am
Post Re: Rate the draft: 2010
I agree completely. This BPA poop is garbage. Like I said, our scouting department must be complete garbage, because their "board" ranking the "best" players is crap.

The "trade back up" to the first round wasn't entirely a bad idea, but we should have taken Patrick Robinson CB (now with the Saints). Look at where we would be if we had a legitimate, young, starting caliber CB opposite of Houston (who is probably better than Houston), instead of Javid Best. That one pick would have turned that whole draft around.

Another one that gets me... Look at where we took Spivey, and look at the VERY NEXT SS drafted... Morgan Burnett, GB Packers... One was a known commodity in the draft (Burnett), and one was a "question mark at S, tweener CB/S"... We took the question mark as we do time and time again.

So, if we would have drafted Suh, Robinson, and Morgan our D would be SOLID right about now, instead of being in shambles. Mayhew is trash.

February 19th, 2013, 3:09 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree completely. This BPA poop is garbage. Like I said, our scouting department must be complete garbage, because their "board" ranking the "best" players is crap.

The "trade back up" to the first round wasn't entirely a bad idea, but we should have taken Patrick Robinson CB (now with the Saints). Look at where we would be if we had a legitimate, young, starting caliber CB opposite of Houston (who is probably better than Houston), instead of Javid Best. That one pick would have turned that whole draft around.

Another one that gets me... Look at where we took Spivey, and look at the VERY NEXT SS drafted... Morgan Burnett, GB Packers... One was a known commodity in the draft (Burnett), and one was a "question mark at S, tweener CB/S"... We took the question mark as we do time and time again.

So, if we would have drafted Suh, Robinson, and Morgan our D would be SOLID right about now, instead of being in shambles. Mayhew is trash.

I remember being very high on Burnett that year, only to see the Packers take him.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 19th, 2013, 3:18 pm
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I remember being very high on Burnett that year, only to see the Packers take him.

It just maddens me KDS... I mean, it's not even that "our guys" just don't work out. We take question marks and "project players" over known commodities time and time again, and we constantly wonder why it doesn't work out. If we had a solid, young, fast SS and starting CB and Houston, we'd be awesome on D. But we take project garbage CBs in the 3rd and 4th rounds, and wonder why they can't crack the starting lineup. We pass on good, solid, value D players, for a garbage, injury prone RB and a project CB/FS tweener. If it wasn't idiotic BEFORE we did it I wouldn't be so fed up. If it mades sense AT THE TIME I would get it, but it didn't. It was stupid then and it proved to be stupid now.

February 19th, 2013, 3:23 pm
RIP Killer

I remember there were a number of folks who wanted McCoy over Suh (possibly including one in this thread).

McCoy - 69 tackles, 9 sacks
Suh - 137 tackles, 22 sacks and a TD

This has to be part of the discussion as well.

February 19th, 2013, 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
I remember there were a number of folks who wanted McCoy over Suh (possibly including one in this thread).

McCoy - 69 tackles, 9 sacks
Suh - 137 tackles, 22 sacks and a TD

This has to be part of the discussion as well.

If you're talking about me. I wanted Kyle Wilson, but I did want a more traditional DT if we were going to stay put. I didn't like Suh, or his body type at DT, and I thought his speed was better used as a 3-4DE, (and I still do). I wanted us to trade down into the late teens/early 20s and take Kyle Wilson. I thought our immediate need was CB or LT. I was kinda high on Trent Williams if we stayed put, but I wanted out of that #2 slot bad. Looking back, it's tough to argue... We can't afford to pay Suh, and we're likely going to lose him next year anyhow. How's that playing out for us?

February 19th, 2013, 4:29 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
How's that playing out for us?

First, back then unless the pick was a QB given the salary structure it was damn near impossible to trade back from the #2 pick. I get you wanted out, but nobody wanted in so that is a mute point. Secondly, you don't draft thinking this guy is going to turn out to be a star that we can't aford in his second contract so let's take a different approach.

The Lions absolutely made the right choice in drafting Suh despite what hindsight might tell us.

February 19th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

First, back then unless the pick was a QB given the salary structure it was damn near impossible to trade back from the #2 pick. I get you wanted out, but nobody wanted in so that is a mute point. Secondly, you don't draft thinking this guy is going to turn out to be a star that we can't aford in his second contract so let's take a different approach.

The Lions absolutely made the right choice in drafting Suh despite what hindsight might tell us.

I disagree completely. I disagreed then and I disagree now. I stated back then that we should have (and could have) traded back. There were a number of teams DROOLING over Suh, and would have moved up to get him. Further, you don't HAVE to get your pick in. There was ridiculous talk on here that the "NFL would be miffed" if we didn't get our pick in, but that's complete BS. Kyle Wilson would have been cheaper, just as effective, if not moreso, and we would be able to keep him long-term. Wilson was a much better pick in the long run. Suh hasn't exactly panned out, hence the horrible record last year.

February 19th, 2013, 5:16 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I disagree completely. I disagreed then and I disagree now. I stated back then that we should have (and could have) traded back. There were a number of teams DROOLING over Suh, and would have moved up to get him. Further, you don't HAVE to get your pick in. There was ridiculous talk on here that the "NFL would be miffed" if we didn't get our pick in, but that's complete BS. Kyle Wilson would have been cheaper, just as effective, if not moreso, and we would be able to keep him long-term. Wilson was a much better pick in the long run. Suh hasn't exactly panned out, hence the horrible record last year.

Wait...Suh hasnt "panned out"? Are you serious?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 19th, 2013, 7:34 pm
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

You aren't alone kds.
And if memory serves correct. Going into the 2010 draft, everyone knew that draft was depraved of talent. It was widely suggested it was the worse talented draft in a generation. And we got the very best defensive player of that draft.

Last edited by BillySims on February 19th, 2013, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 19th, 2013, 7:46 pm
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I'm dead serious. We had one good year with him. He's not currently earning his paycheck, he's a locker-room cancer, team distraction, and he wants to leave in 2 years when his contract is up. I'd say that's the definition of "not panning out."

I'm not saying he's a bust, but you can be a solid player and not pan out for the team you were drafted on.

February 19th, 2013, 7:47 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I didn't say Suh was a bad pick, I gave the pick a B-, just slightly above average. Suh still has the potential to be one of the great DTs, but he certainly isn't the Calvin Johnson of defense many hoped/expected.

February 19th, 2013, 8:42 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I'm dead serious. We had one good year with him. He's not currently earning his paycheck, he's a locker-room cancer, team distraction, and he wants to leave in 2 years when his contract is up. I'd say that's the definition of "not panning out."

I'm not saying he's a bust, but you can be a solid player and not pan out for the team you were drafted on.

You are correct that he isnt earning his contract, but is that his fault or the fact that it was before the rookie wage scale and in a way he had no choice but to have a $68 million contract. Regardless, I have a very hard time seeing Suh a Lion after his rookie contract expires anyway (which is why I think Mayhew should act NOW while he has a chance).

February 19th, 2013, 10:40 pm
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

You are correct that he isnt earning his contract, but is that his fault or the fact that it was before the rookie wage scale and in a way he had no choice but to have a $68 million contract. Regardless, I have a very hard time seeing Suh a Lion after his rookie contract expires anyway (which is why I think Mayhew should act NOW while he has a chance).

KDS, I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that. Suh is going to command $15ish million per year AFTER his rookie deal (which is about what he's making now). I just don't see him being worth that kind of coin, and it has nothing to do with where he was drafted. If he's going to make that much money after his next deal, why does it matter that he was drafted #2 overall, and given a huge rookie contract? We may not have gotten the "bargain 5 years" that we would have gotten had the rookie wage scale been in place, but his "pay" is about what it would be on the open market. For whatever reason he's an NFL darling, even with his "bad-boy" image. They promote the hell out of him, despite putting up very average numbers, he carries an inflated "value" and he's going to capitalize on it.

I understand that Suh does things that don't always show up in the stat line, but much of his talk is over-done. I have seen him be taken on 1 on 1 by an opposing OC several times. He doesn't "always command" a double team, as some on here suggest, and he seems to get down right lazy at times. Couple that with his locker room antics, and lack of measurable stats, and I really don't think he's worth more than $8 million per, which is why I don't think there is any way in hell you see him in a Lions uniform after his rookie K is up.

February 20th, 2013, 12:53 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

WJB, It looks like KDS was saying we overpaid because he was the #2 pick and the rookie scale wasnt in place. THen he suggests we should Move Suh while he still has value since we wont be able to resign him. Im pretty sure you are agreeing with him, but thought he was saying something else.

February 20th, 2013, 6:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next