View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Various 2012 NFL Mock drafts. 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: Various 2012 NFL Mock drafts.
I do not think the Lions will draft Werner. He is an inconsistent player. He went over half his games without recording a sack and four of his sacks came against Murray State. This is made worse when one considers the caliber of players he had opposite of him.

I think we are much more likely to draft Ezekial Ansah or Barkevious Mingo. This will likely be unpopular but they are probably the two dlineman with the greatest potential. While their stats are not fantastic they were both misused.

Personally, I want us to trade down as far as possible. The only guys I feel comfortable drafting at 5 are Warmack, Joeckel, Fisher, Star, and Jarvis Jones (depending on his medical check). I think a pick on Fisher or or Joeckel would be wasted as we have Reiff, Backus, Fox, and Hillard. Warmack is IMO the best prospect but I don't think there is a huge drop off with Cooper or Wharford. Star is not needed as we have Suh and Fairley. Jarvis Jones is an impact player but quality linebackers can be found in later rounds.

February 19th, 2013, 11:01 pm
Veteran General Manager

Stallion wrote:
I do not think the Lions will draft Werner. He is an inconsistent player. He went over half his games without recording a sack and four of his sacks came against Murray State. This is made worse when one considers the caliber of players he had opposite of him.

I think we are much more likely to draft Ezekial Ansah or Barkevious Mingo. This will likely be unpopular but they are probably the two dlineman with the greatest potential. While their stats are not fantastic they were both misused.

Personally, I want us to trade down as far as possible. The only guys I feel comfortable drafting at 5 are Warmack, Joeckel, Fisher, Star, and Jarvis Jones (depending on his medical check). I think a pick on Fisher or or Joeckel would be wasted as we have Reiff, Backus, Fox, and Hillard. Warmack is IMO the best prospect but I don't think there is a huge drop off with Cooper or Wharford. Star is not needed as we have Suh and Fairley. Jarvis Jones is an impact player but quality linebackers can be found in later rounds.

Stay away from Jones. I think it was him that has been reported that he has Stenosis. The narrowing of the spinal cord.

Edited to add: I would be pleased with either Fisher or Milliner at #5.

February 19th, 2013, 11:10 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Stallion wrote:

Good post, agree with your observations. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ezekial Ansah ascend the boards by draft day, and would have no problem if he's our choice. After all the coaching staff did get a first hand look at him in the Senior Bowl.

February 20th, 2013, 9:28 am
Stallion wrote:

I feel the same way about Werner, and have said so on here. I feel like he's a marginal athlete that will struggle at the next level.

I can't agree that a pick on Fisher or Joeckel would be wasted. 1) we don't "know" if we have Jeff Backus, and 2) Backus isn't what he use to be. Further, we don't have Gos, we're not likely to resign Gos, and we need another OT. IMO Reiff is much more a RT and I really don't believe he's capable of playing LT, at least not this early in his career.

At this point I would rather have Warmack than Millner, given the draft, the depth at CB, the lack of separation between Millner and the #2/3 CBs on the board, and how special of a player Warmack is alleged to be. Jones seems way too risky for us.

February 20th, 2013, 11:10 am
1st Round Pick

I like Jones, he is actually disruptive and consistent unlike the other DEs. I read an article that said Spinal Stenosis hasn't shown any evidence to make a player more likely to have a neck or spinal injury. The problem comes from when that person does have an injury instead of just having a stinger they can actually suffer from paralysis in multiple parts of their body. That more debilitating form of paralysis, tingling, or burning often scares the player suffering from spinal stenosis and most players often quit after having it happen 2 or more times. It seems it is seen in football players more than people think and if the player has never got a neck injury or stinger they could have it and not even know.

Notable former players that have it are Michael Irvin, Sterling Sharpe, Marcus McNeill, and Chris Samuels. All pro-bowlers, but all had to leave football early.

The question with Jones is if your willing to take his higher ability for half the time over a lesser talent for possibly twice as long.

I will also add the Lions haven't exactly won in the medically questionable player lottery.

February 20th, 2013, 11:43 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Stallion wrote:

I feel the same way about Werner, and have said so on here. I feel like he's a marginal athlete that will struggle at the next level.

I can't agree that a pick on Fisher or Joeckel would be wasted. 1) we don't "know" if we have Jeff Backus, and 2) Backus isn't what he use to be. Further, we don't have Gos, we're not likely to resign Gos, and we need another OT. IMO Reiff is much more a RT and I really don't believe he's capable of playing LT, at least not this early in his career.

At this point I would rather have Warmack than Millner, given the draft, the depth at CB, the lack of separation between Millner and the #2/3 CBs on the board, and how special of a player Warmack is alleged to be. Jones seems way too risky for us.

The offensive line will be the most interesting problem we face this offseason. I love Chance Warmack but I would rather sign Brandon Moore in free agency and continue develop Rodney Austin and/or draft a late OG like Blaize Foltz or Uzzi. The offensive center position is interesting as Raiola will be competing with, at minimum, Bill Nagy but I would like to see us bring in Jones or Frederick. There are many different combinations that could be used here and would not be surprised if we ran Fox and Reiff with Hillard as a swing. Fisher or Joeckel coud be useful but I think that pick could have a greater impact elsewhere.

I do not however want to draft a cornerback this year. We have three young guys who have shone promise. I would rather sign someone like Bradley Fletcher, Greg Toler, or Mike Jenkins to a "prove it" contract. They could compete for a starting spot and give our young guys a bit more time to develop. If they do "prove it" we can allow them to walk, receive a compensatory pick, and let one of the young guys step up next year.

I am personally in the camp of trade down and draft Ezekiel Ansah, Barkevious Mingo, or Dion Jordan. Primarily because we need an impact player at the defensive end spot. We like to think that anyone can produce in the wide 9 but we saw Lo-Jack, Young, and KVB apply poor pressure and Avril was really not any better. Free agency is not really an option as we can ill afford to buy a premium pass rusher.

Dion Jordan is an interesting option after a trade down. The only problem would be that he would likely have to play LB an most downs and more to DE on passing downs like Kiwanuka or Von Miller.

February 20th, 2013, 1:35 pm
Stallion wrote:
The offensive line will be the most interesting problem we face this offseason. I love Chance Warmack but I would rather sign Brandon Moore in free agency and continue develop Rodney Austin and/or draft a late OG like Blaize Foltz or Uzzi. The offensive center position is interesting as Raiola will be competing with, at minimum, Bill Nagy but I would like to see us bring in Jones or Frederick. There are many different combinations that could be used here and would not be surprised if we ran Fox and Reiff with Hillard as a swing. Fisher or Joeckel coud be useful but I think that pick could have a greater impact elsewhere.

I do not however want to draft a cornerback this year. We have three young guys who have shone promise. I would rather sign someone like Bradley Fletcher, Greg Toler, or Mike Jenkins to a "prove it" contract. They could compete for a starting spot and give our young guys a bit more time to develop. If they do "prove it" we can allow them to walk, receive a compensatory pick, and let one of the young guys step up next year.

I am personally in the camp of trade down and draft Ezekiel Ansah, Barkevious Mingo, or Dion Jordan. Primarily because we need an impact player at the defensive end spot. We like to think that anyone can produce in the wide 9 but we saw Lo-Jack, Young, and KVB apply poor pressure and Avril was really not any better. Free agency is not really an option as we can ill afford to buy a premium pass rusher.

Dion Jordan is an interesting option after a trade down. The only problem would be that he would likely have to play LB an most downs and more to DE on passing downs like Kiwanuka or Von Miller.

I agree that the OL is the most interesting piece of the puzzle to contend with this offseason. My hope is that we draft Fisher or Joeckel, put Reiff at RT, let Backus walk (it would save us around $2.5 million), and let Nagy and Fox fight out the remaining OG spot. I would hope that Nagy can both stay healthy and win the OG spot, play next to Dom for a year, and slide over to OC. I will admit though, that I have little faith that Nagy can stay healthy. IMO that's a solid OL that's much stronger, and much younger than we've had in the last 5 years. I think it will make a HUGE difference in our offense and our ability to move the ball on the ground. IMO it makes sense both in terms of where we draft, the relative value of the position we'd be drafting (LT), and who is available. It's a great scenario that doesn't require a trade partner.

I don't want to draft a CB in round 1 this year, but if 1 of the 3 very good CBs that fit our wants and needs (good size guys that can cover) falls to us in RD 2, I think we have to take him. IMO we should sign Porter to a "prove it" contract. I would love to give him the $2.5 he got last year (we may even be able to get him for a discount given his seizure). He's a proven commodity that was playing lights out. He did have a seizure, but that could have been caused by anything, including playing in Mile High Stadium. IMO his return was never done due to Chris Harris stepping up in amazing fashion. I think Denver kept Porter on the back-burner in case they needed someone to come in late in the season if they had an injury concern. I think he's a great CB that can be had on the cheap. This board said that I would be blown away with Drayton Florence, and that Mayhew was a genius and got a "better guy for less" than the guy I wanted... I think we all know how that played out...

I wouldn't be miffed with trading down and drafting Ansah, but it requires a willing partner, and IMO it neglects the OL, the most important unit on the field for the Lions. IMO we should stand pat and draft Fisher.

February 20th, 2013, 1:50 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It's not that anybody can play DE in the Wide 9, but an athletic is more important than a technically sound DE. As far as Mingo and Jordan go I'd be sick if they drafted either of them. Both of them are not just light but thin, I've never really bought into weight but thickness holds a lot of " weight" with me. There haven't been many gangly DEs in NFL history that have dominated. Ansah is a guy I liked athletically but not until about #15 but would take him at #10. I think a Taylor, Smith, Bass, or Catapano can thrive in Detroit. At the least bring back LoJack to help in obvious running siuations and to battle for a starting spot and look at some cheaper FAs like Tapp or even Merriman as rotation guys.

As far as the O-line goes and this all stems on them getting Stafford signed for $13-15 million per year I'd like to see them bring Beatty in from the Giants. He should be one of the more reasonably priced LTs in FA and is a known commodity. He won't ever be mistaken for a guy like Pace in his prime but is just as good as a player as Matt Light was for NE. Then land Warmack or Warford in the draft. If Fisher or Joeckel are available at #5 and they both could be gone I think San Diego might be very interested in moving up to get a LT. It's all speculation until FA hits and rosters start falling into place.

February 20th, 2013, 2:20 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
It's not that anybody can play DE in the Wide 9, but an athletic is more important than a technically sound DE. As far as Mingo and Jordan go I'd be sick if they drafted either of them. Both of them are not just light but thin, I've never really bought into weight but thickness holds a lot of " weight" with me. There haven't been many gangly DEs in NFL history that have dominated. Ansah is a guy I liked athletically but not until about #15 but would take him at #10. I think a Taylor, Smith, Bass, or Catapano can thrive in Detroit. At the least bring back LoJack to help in obvious running siuations and to battle for a starting spot and look at some cheaper FAs like Tapp or even Merriman as rotation guys.

As far as the O-line goes and this all stems on them getting Stafford signed for $13-15 million per year I'd like to see them bring Beatty in from the Giants. He should be one of the more reasonably priced LTs in FA and is a known commodity. He won't ever be mistaken for a guy like Pace in his prime but is just as good as a player as Matt Light was for NE. Then land Warmack or Warford in the draft. If Fisher or Joeckel are available at #5 and they both could be gone I think San Diego might be very interested in moving up to get a LT. It's all speculation until FA hits and rosters start falling into place.

If somehow Fisher and Joeckel aren't available (I really don't think this is likely) I think we more or less have to trade down. If we can't find a partner I don't know who the heck I'd even want... It would be a tossup between Warmack, Ansah and Millner, I think with the edge going to Warmack. I think he's head and shoulders above all of the rest of the OGs, and I think he's a guy that can really be a game changer in our offense. We would undoubtedly have the best OGs that we've had in the last decade. He's a HUGE upgrade in size and strength over Peterman, and I think he could have a Steve Hutchinson effect on our OL.

February 20th, 2013, 2:49 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

If somehow Fisher and Joeckel aren't available (I really don't think this is likely) I think we more or less have to trade down. If we can't find a partner I don't know who the heck I'd even want... It would be a tossup between Warmack, Ansah and Millner, I think with the edge going to Warmack. I think he's head and shoulders above all of the rest of the OGs, and I think he's a guy that can really be a game changer in our offense. We would undoubtedly have the best OGs that we've had in the last decade. He's a HUGE upgrade in size and strength over Peterman, and I think he could have a Steve Hutchinson effect on our OL.

I have a really hard time with accepting the Lions taking a guard top 5. With a premier pick like that, just hoping that one of the OT's is there. If not, then the best DE.
If they aren't sold on any of the DE's that early, then maybe the secondary. Everybody's thinking Milliner, but I am intrigued by Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State, he's got the size their looking for, and if he runs well he could be climbing boards, or they could go safety.
Sorry, but I just can't see taking a guard top 5, even one as highly rated as Warmack. From what I've been reading Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina is rated just a shade behind Warmack, and is considered a mid-one to early second round pick. If the Lions were looking hard to upgrade the Guard position with a 1st round pick they should have taken DeCastro last year.

February 20th, 2013, 6:34 pm
liontrax wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

I have a really hard time with accepting the Lions taking a guard top 5. With a premier pick like that, just hoping that one of the OT's is there. If not, then the best DE.
If they aren't sold on any of the DE's that early, then maybe the secondary. Everybody's thinking Milliner, but I am intrigued by Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State, he's got the size their looking for, and if he runs well he could be climbing boards, or they could go safety.
Sorry, but I just can't see taking a guard top 5, even one as highly rated as Warmack. From what I've been reading Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina is rated just a shade behind Warmack, and is considered a mid-one to early second round pick. If the Lions were looking hard to upgrade the Guard position with a 1st round pick they should have taken DeCastro last year.

I don't disagree, but the bitch is, there isn't a DE or any other player worthy of the #5 if Fisher and Joeckel are gone. At that point I think you just have to take the "most special" player available, and IMO that's Warmack. Don't get too down on the fact that a guy rated "just a shade behind" someone else is a 2nd rounder. Warmack is a top 10 talent by far, and we'd only be reaching a couple of spots for a very talented first day starter. Remember in the 2001 draft the next best OG was rated "just a few spots" behind Steve Hutchinson... And while Hutch was playing the next best OG was paid about $2-4 mill less per year. You can be that special at a position.

I wish we would have taken DeCastro last year, IMO he would have been the better pick.

February 20th, 2013, 6:41 pm
Team MVP

WJB- Don't milk this one out after i tell u this lol, but u just MIGHT finally have me convinced about Werner. I do still think he can be a very good defensive end in the nfl, but I'm now questioning if we should take him at #5. Since our last debate about Werner I've done a lot of watching on him and I just might downgrade him a couple notches.

Right now, I see Joeckel going #1, and if not definitely #4 to the Eagles. I see Werner or Ansah going to the Jags at #2, and either one of them or Star going #3 to the Raiders. If Joeckel goes number one, do the Eagles take Fisher? Or do they grab Milliner? Of a remaining DE? I think we have to pray they don't take Fisher and think that is who the Lions should take at 5. Backus might retire still anyway, but even of he doesn't we are still goin to need another OT and Reiff is probably better off on the right side. Fisher is a true LT, I think we can all agree with that.

If both tackles are off the board by 5, that is going to be tough. Real tough. I am willin to bet mayhew wouldn't take Warmack that high. Like most have said, trading down would be best. If that can be accomplished, I'd be happy with Warmack or Vacarro.

If the lions do take fisher, I hope to God they have a plan in place for defensive end, because like I said before I do not want to go into next year with our defensive line being a weakness.

And to change my mind again, I am a little higher on Ansah and if we took him at 5 I guess I wouldn't be too upset.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 20th, 2013, 11:35 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

wjb21ndtown wrote:
liontrax wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

I don't disagree, but the bitch is, there isn't a DE or any other player worthy of the #5 if Fisher and Joeckel are gone. At that point I think you just have to take the "most special" player available, and IMO that's Warmack. Don't get too down on the fact that a guy rated "just a shade behind" someone else is a 2nd rounder. Warmack is a top 10 talent by far, and we'd only be reaching a couple of spots for a very talented first day starter. Remember in the 2001 draft the next best OG was rated "just a few spots" behind Steve Hutchinson... And while Hutch was playing the next best OG was paid about $2-4 mill less per year. You can be that special at a position.

I wish we would have taken DeCastro last year, IMO he would have been the better pick.

I'll be sick if we take Warmack at 5. No disrespect to him, as I'm sure he is possibly the leading talent at his position. But with a premium pick like that which we hopefully won't see again in the near future, just think it needs to be a difference maker at a premier position.

February 21st, 2013, 2:23 pm
Veteran General Manager

Walter Football's latest Mock. 5 rounds. I could like it a lot with 3 exceptions. We ignore OT until the 5th round, They assume for some reason that the Lions are intent on moving Reiff inside, and I would take Barrett Jones, G/C/OT, Alabama instead of Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU in the 3rd round. Montgomery has commented that he might quit playing and start betting on football. Makes him too big of a risk with out 3rd round pick.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

March 2nd, 2013, 12:46 pm
QB Coach

Here's McShay's latest mock:

1Star LotuleleiKansas City Chiefs (2-14)
COLLEGE: UtahAGE: 23HT: 6-2½WT: 311POS: DT
Analysis: Most people will have OT Luke Joeckel going to the Chiefs, even after they franchised OT Branden Albert, and I think that's a viable option. But I'm also convinced that Lotulelei is very much in play for the Chiefs at No. 1. First off, the Chiefs have handled their business on offense with the trade for QB Alex Smith, the re-signing of WR Dwayne Bowe to a five-year deal, and placing the franchise tag on Albert. Don't be surprised if the focus shifts to defense in April's draft.

The Chiefs, under new defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, will continue to operate out of a base 3-4 scheme. By adding Lotulelei at DE alongside former first-round picks NT Dontari Poe and DE Tyson Jackson, it would give them a tremendously talented young front to build around. This group could become a brick wall versus the run, with Poe and Lotulelei capable of exploiting some one-on-one pass-rushing opportunities as Tamba Hali and Justin Houston grab extra attention on the perimeter.

2Luke Joeckel*Jacksonville Jaguars (2-14)
COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 21HT: 6-6WT: 306POS: OT
Analysis: Upgrading the pass rush is the top need for a team that finished with a league-worst 20 sacks in 2012. Here, DE Ezekiel Ansah, DE/OLB Dion Jordan and DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo are viable options.

But the highest-rated prospect available is Joeckel, and the Jaguars need help on that line as well. They surrendered 50 sacks last season and finished with third-fewest rushing yards in the NFL. The Jaguars would need to do some shuffling to make all the parts fit, but drafting Joeckel would immediately improve the mean age and the talent level of their offensive line.

Something to keep in mind: Coordinator Jedd Fisch's offense does feature more man-blocking, so it will be interesting to see whether the Jaguars believe Joeckel -- or our No. 2-rated OT Eric Fisher -- can develop into a good system fit.

3Sharrif Floyd*Oakland Raiders (4-12)
COLLEGE: FloridaAGE: 20HT: 6-2]WT: 297POS: DT
Analysis: I hear all the noise out of Oakland regarding Geno Smith, but I just can't get on board. This team has so many holes and is so financially strapped that it can't afford to take a chance on a quarterback who has some holes in his game.

The smart play is to draft the best available lineman -- offensive or defensive -- who fits what the Raiders do schematically. I give the nod to Floyd. This guy has outstanding intangibles, he doesn't have durability issues and he's a disruptive force who will fit perfectly as a three-technique in Oakland's 4-3 front.

4Dee Milliner*Philadelphia Eagles (4-12)
COLLEGE: AlabamaAGE: 21HT: 5-11⅞WT: 201POS: CB
Analysis: Offensive tackle Eric Fisher could be an option here, but the Eagles' bigger need is on defense, seeing as Jason Peters, center Jason Kelce and right offensive tackle Todd Herremans are expected to be at full strength in 2013.

Oregon OLB Dion Jordan makes a ton of sense because of familiarity with Chip Kelly and defensive line coach Jerry Azzinaro. But the Eagles already have Brandon Graham, Trent Cole, Vinny Curry and Phillip Hunt to serve as outside linebackers in their hybrid 3-4 scheme. Jordan is potentially a significant upgrade, but will they draft him with all that existing depth?

The Eagles also released Cullen Jenkins and Mike Patterson, which leaves them with Fletcher Cox and some question marks. Lotulelei would be in play if available, but he's not in this scenario. Ezekiel Ansah could fit as a versatile defensive end, but cornerback is arguably the team's biggest need with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie not likely to return and Nnamdi Asomugha expected to become a cap casualty.

Milliner is the only top-tier cornerback in this class. He also answered questions about his speed with an official 40 time of 4.37 at the combine.

5Ezekiel Ansah*Detroit Lions (4-12)
COLLEGE: BYUAGE: 23HT: 6-5¼WT: 271POS: DE
Analysis: The Lions need a cornerback, but there are no legitimate options with Milliner off the board. It's too early to pick Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro, especially after he ran a 4.63 40-yard dash at the combine, which caused some concern.

It's a tough call here between Ansah and Fisher. Fisher is the safer pick, but this team needs perimeter talent to go along with the strength of its defense -- Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley at defensive tackle.

And I get it. Ansah lacks experience. But study his tape from the second half of the season, then study his dominant performance in the Senior Bowl game. Then look at his freakish combination of workout results at the combine. I'll take Ansah over most players with a lot more experience in this draft. I think he would be a great pick for the Lions at No. 5.

6Dion JordanCleveland Browns (5-11)
COLLEGE: OregonAGE: 22HT: 6-6¼WT: 248POS: OLB
Analysis: Under new coordinator Ray Horton, the Browns could feature multiple fronts with an eye on transitioning to more of a base 3-4 defense. Jordan is a phenomenal athlete who fits best working out of a two-point stance.

He has the length, speed and athleticism to immediately make a significant contribution as a pass-rusher and pursuit run-defender. Jordan also has good awareness in coverage and unusually fluid hips for his 6-foot-6 frame. The combination of Jordan opposite Jabaal Sheard would cause problems for opposing offenses.

7Geno SmithArizona Cardinals (5-11)
COLLEGE: West VirginiaAGE: 23HT: 6-2⅜WT: 218POS: QB
Analysis: I don't have a true first-round grade on Smith, and I don't feel great about slotting him anywhere in the top 10. But we all know the drill -- quarterbacks will get bumped up the board come April 25, and Smith is likely to be the first quarterback off the board.

Does Bruce Arians believe that Smith can be the long-term answer for the Cardinals? That's really what this pick comes down to. If not, the Cardinals could upgrade their offensive line by drafting the still developing but exceptionally athletic OT Lane Johnson from Oklahoma.

As for Smith, he could come off the board one pick later to the Bills or two picks later to the Jets. If he's still on the board at No. 10, that's when things would get interesting because there isn't a team with a pressing need at QB until we circle back around in Round 2.

8Eric FisherBuffalo Bills (6-10)
COLLEGE: Central MichiganAGE: 22HT: 6-7WT: 306POS: OT
Analysis: Offensive tackles get bumped down a bit if Lotulelei goes No. 1, and that's the case in this scenario. But some teams have Fisher higher than Joeckel, so Fisher could go as high as No. 1 overall. He also could go to the Jaguars at No. 2, the Raiders at No. 3, the Eagles at No. 4, the Lions at No. 5 … well, you get the picture.

If Fisher falls to No. 8, the Bills shouldn't think twice. He becomes the long-term answer at left tackle, and Cordy Glenn moves to right tackle after a strong rookie season.

9Barkevious Mingo*New York Jets (6-10)
COLLEGE: LSUAGE: 22HT: 6-4¼WT: 241POS: DE
Analysis: I have no problem with Mingo as a top-10 pick. His lack of sack production is being overemphasized, as he often faced extra attention from double-teams. In multiple games I saw on tape, he was limited in a gap-discipline game plan to limit mobile quarterbacks.

Yes, he needs to get bigger and stronger to hold up better against the run. He also needs to improve his speed-to-power rush, but he is an explosive pass-rusher already, and his motor is always running. He is athletic enough to occasionally drop into coverage, but he will get paid to get after the QB. That's exactly what the Jets need on defense.

10Jonathan CooperTennessee Titans (6-10)
COLLEGE: North CarolinaAGE: 23HT: 6-2⅛WT: 311POS: G
Analysis: This is a zone-blocking group under coordinator Dowell Loggains. Alabama guard Chance Warmack is athletic enough, and he played in a heavy zone-blocking scheme at Alabama. He absolutely fits the bill and would be a great pick for the Titans.

But Cooper is the more explosive athlete and might be a slightly better fit for what the Titans are looking for. Either way, they will be in great shape if they draft one of these two exceptionally gifted guards at No. 10. (Guards in the top 10? I can't believe I just wrote that. …)
PLAYER CARD
11Lane JohnsonSan Diego Chargers (7-9)
COLLEGE: OklahomaAGE: 22HT: 6-6WT: 303POS: OT
Analysis: The fastest way to becoming a winning team again is to protect QB Philip Rivers. Jared Gaither was a nightmare at left tackle, and there's no telling whether he cares enough to put in the time this offseason to turn his play around.

The Chargers can't afford to gamble. They'll be fortunate if Johnson lasts this long. He's still developing, but it's obvious on tape that his arrow is pointing way north. He has made huge strides at offensive tackle -- and remember, he was a quarterback at Kilgore Community College just a few years ago. He also has had stops at tight end, defensive end and right tackle before landing at left tackle in 2012.

Johnson can become a standout left tackle in the NFL if his hands continue to improve and if he keeps getting stronger.

12Keenan Allen*Miami Dolphins (7-9)
COLLEGE: CaliforniaAGE: 20HT: 6-2WT: 206POS: WR
Analysis: It would not be ideal for the Dolphins if the board falls in this order. Their most pressing positions of need are cornerback and offensive tackle, and the top-tier talents at both positions are gone. Ryan Tannehill is desperate for more playmakers, so drafting a wide receiver at No. 12 is not at all out of the question -- even if they sign a veteran starter via free agency.

Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson is the most dynamic athlete at wide receiver, but he is extremely raw and will need a lot of reps in order to retain new information. I just don't think that lines up with what coach Joe Philbin and offensive coordinator Mike Sherman are looking for in their up-tempo version of the West Coast offense.

Allen, on the other hand, is not a burner, but he is a polished route-runner with good size (6-2, 206) and natural playmaking ability.

13Kenny VaccaroTampa Bay Buccaneers (7-9)
COLLEGE: TexasAGE: 21HT: 6-0WT: 214POS: S
Analysis: The Bucs' secondary is an absolute mess with the exception of Mark Barron. So although spending first-round picks on safeties in back-to-back drafts might not be ideal, Vaccaro makes a lot of sense. I expect him to improve his 40 time at Texas' pro day, and the rest of his combine results were near or atop the list for safeties.

More important, Vaccaro's tape is excellent. Vaccaro is clearly the most complete safety in the 2013 class, and his ability to match up against pass-catching TEs in the slot, as well as to handle deep-third responsibilities in zone coverage, would give this Bucs secondary some much-needed flexibility.

14Sheldon RichardsonCarolina Panthers (7-9)
COLLEGE: MissouriAGE: 21HT: 6-2½WT: 294POS: DT
Analysis: In this mock, Vaccaro is gone, so there's no safety available worth selecting at No. 14. Also, wide receivers Patterson and Tavon Austin could be in play here.

While this may be a bit high for Richardson, who is a classic three-technique D-lineman, he's a terrific athlete and makes some big-time plays because of his speed and change-of-direction skills. On the downside, he will get pushed around at times against the run. He also needs to play with more consistent leverage and improve his bulk and strength.

15Alec Ogletree *New Orleans Saints (7-9)
COLLEGE: GeorgiaAGE: 21HT: 6-2½WT: 242POS: LB
Analysis: For the Saints, the pass-rushers and offensive tackles they would want are gone. Ogletree is an explosive athlete with the ability to cover like a safety, which he was early in his career, and make plays from sideline to sideline against the run.

He has some baggage, but not many guys come along with Ogletree's assortment of skills. He won't last long.

16Tavon Austin*St. Louis Rams (7-8-1)
COLLEGE: West VirginiaAGE: 21HT: 5-8½WT: 174POS: WR
Analysis: Offensive tackle is also a high priority for the Rams, but no legitimate left tackle is still available at this point, unless they think Alabama's D.J. Fluker fits on the left side.

Wide receiver Danny Amendola is a free agent, so Austin could be a perfect fit as a young, dynamic weapon in the slot for QB Sam Bradford. Austin is small but has a rare combination of quickness and speed.

17Jarvis Jones*Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8)
COLLEGE: GeorgiaAGE: 23HT: 6-2⅜WT: 245POS: LB
Analysis: Cornerback, wide receiver and offensive tackle are all bigger needs, but Jones is a good value pick here if he checks out medically. He fits perfectly as a 3-4 outside linebacker in the Steelers' scheme, which historically has excelled with smaller-framed OLBs.

The bottom line is the Steelers' pass rush -- particularly on third downs -- was lacking last season. James Harrison's play dropped off, and LaMarr Woodley struggled to stay healthy. The Steelers saw some flashes from Jason Worilds, but is he a long-term answer as a starter? What Jones does best is pin his ears back and attack the quarterback off the edge.

18Chance WarmackDallas Cowboys (8-8)
COLLEGE: AlabamaAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 317POS: G
Analysis: Guards often do not come off the board quickly, and Warmack and UNC's Jonathan Cooper could slip a bit as a result.

But on tape, Warmack is one of the three most complete football players in this class. He could easily go in the top 11 picks to the Bills at No. 8, the Jets at No. 9, the Titans at No. 10 and the Chargers at No. 11. This is not a flashy pick, so Cowboys owner Jerry Jones might squash it. But this would be a great pick for the Cowboys if Warmack lasts all the way down here.

19Tyler EifertNew York Giants (9-7)
COLLEGE: Notre DameAGE: 22HT: 6-5½WT: 250POS: TE
Analysis: If Ogletree were still available, he would be a great pick here. The Giants also could go with Fluker, but Eifert is a top tight end and would give Eli Manning another weapon in the passing game. Eifert's ball skills and ability to come down with the jump ball separate him from some other talented tight ends in this class.

20Cordarrelle Patterson *Chicago Bears (10-6)
COLLEGE: TennesseeAGE: 21HT: 6-1⅞WT: 216POS: WR
Analysis: The Bears would love for Eifert to fall to them, but in this scenario the Giants get him one pick before. The Bears also could surprise here with a left tackle such as Menelik Watson or Justin Pugh, two athletic players who would need to develop in Marc Trestman's offense.

But Patterson is one of the most explosive, raw athletes in this draft and is one of the most dangerous with the ball in his hands. He has elite natural tools and could be brought along slowly at wide receiver. Also, Patterson allows Trestman to get creative with reverses and screens while occasionally lining up Patterson in the backfield.
PLAYER CARD
21D.J. Fluker*Cincinnati Bengals (10-6)
COLLEGE: AlabamaAGE: 21HT: 6-4½WT: 339POS: OT
Analysis: Would the Bengals replace one Alabama offensive tackle bust with another Alabama OT? If not, the best players at wide receiver, running back and linebacker will be the focus.

Fluker seems to be more dedicated, and he carries his weight much better. He would be a good pick at this portion of the draft.

22Menelik Watson*St. Louis Rams (from WAS) (7-8-1)
COLLEGE: Florida StateAGE: 24HT: 6-5⅛WT: 317POS: OT
Analysis: At No. 16, Watson, who is from England, would have been a reach; that's why I went with Austin there.

Here, where I had Keenan Allen in the first mock and Sylvester Williams in the second for the Rams, Watson could work. The Rams have a need at tackle, and Watson is a very talented athlete who is light on his feet for his size. He gets into sets quickly and with a lot of depth. Has long arms and can ride speed rushers past the pocket off the edge. But he's raw, and his football instincts need to develop.

23Sylvester WilliamsMinnesota Vikings (10-6)
COLLEGE: North CarolinaAGE: 24HT: 6-2⅝WT: 313POS: DT
Analysis: Defensive tackle isn't a top need, and the Vikings have bigger needs at wide receiver, outside linebacker and offensive tackle. But Williams is a good fit in defensive coordinator Alan Williams' Tampa 2 defense. Williams is quick and active and has very good football character, too.

24Justin Pugh*Indianapolis Colts (11-5)
COLLEGE: SyracuseAGE: 22HT: 6-4½WT: 307POS: G
Analysis: Pugh made history this year as he was one of two non-seniors to participate in the Senior Bowl, a first for the annual all-star game. He might slip down the first round because of 2012 injury and short arms (only 32 inches), but he's a first-round talent on tape. He's very smart. Coaches praise his work ethic and ability to quickly pick up the offense and blocking schemes. Pugh also has good movement skills. He has patience and balance in his sets, and once he's able to latch on he can lock out with his arms and shuffle and mirror defenders.

25Bjoern Werner*Seattle Seahawks (11-5)
COLLEGE: Florida St.AGE: 22HT: 6-3¼WT: 266POS: DE
Analysis: Werner could be a steal here if he drops this far and could add depth to an already stout Seahawks defense. His best fit appears to be as a left defensive end for a 4-3 scheme. He has very similar traits and motor to Chris Long but is just a notch below in talent.

26John JenkinsGreen Bay Packers (11-5)
COLLEGE: GeorgiaAGE: 23HT: 6-3⅝WT: 346POS: DT
Analysis: The Packers would like to find a left tackle in the first round, but there is none available worth the pick in this scenario. They also can address their need at running back in the second or third round. Nose tackle is not a pressing need, but it's tough to find massive pluggers with some mobility like Jenkins.

He's a massive two-gap nose tackle with wide trunk, and he has adequate-to-good initial quickness and body control for a guy his size. He has tree trunks for arms and flashes the ability to lock out.

27Justin Hunter*Houston Texans (12-4)
COLLEGE: TennesseeAGE: 21HT: 6-4WT: 196POS: WR
Analysis: The Texans have other needs at offensive tackle, linebacker, nose tackle and safety, but I love Hunter's potential to work the sideline opposite Andre Johnson. The question is: Is he physical enough to play in the Texans' offense? He's long at 6-4 but lean at 196 pounds.

Hunter has impressive natural hand-eye coordination and a huge catching radius. He can catch over his head with ease, and he's smooth catching the ball on the run. Hunter also shows confidence attacking the football.

28Xavier Rhodes*Denver Broncos (13-3)
COLLEGE: Florida StateAGE: 22HT: 6-1½WT: 210POS: CB
Analysis: We're not as high on him as some others, but he has an outstanding size-speed combination and is at his best in press-man coverage.

29Blidi Wreh-WilsonNew England Patriots (12-4)
COLLEGE: Connecticut AGE: 23HT: 6-0¾WT: 195POS: CB
Analysis: The Patriots could have a need in the secondary if they decide not to re-sign Aqib Talib. Wreh-Wilson, who has come on strong in the draft process, could be a nice fit here. Most don't have him in the first round, and he might not go this early after running the 40 in the 4.5-second range at combine.

But we think he's an underrated talent with size, body control, instincts and toughness against the run. He's just a really good football player. Also, he was selected as a team captain both as a junior and senior and was well respected by coaches and teammates. He's also extremely intelligent and accountable, and possesses a good work ethic.

30Zach Ertz *Atlanta Falcons (13-3)
COLLEGE: StanfordAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 249POS: TE
Analysis: Will Tony Gonzalez retire? Will the Falcons persuade him to come back? If he sticks with his plans to retire, Ertz could fit here. He'd have Hall of Fame shoes to fill, but the Falcons could help him develop. He's quick off the line of scrimmage, while showing the ability to pace his routes and flash subtle head fakes at the top of routes to freeze defenders.

If the Falcons don't go with Ertz, they could consider Washington CB Desmond Trufant, Texas A&M DE Damontre Moore, LSU DE Sam Montgomery and Alabama RB Eddie Lacy.

31Margus HuntSan Francisco 49ers (11-4-1)
COLLEGE: SMUAGE: 25HT: 6-8⅛WT: 277POS: DE
Analysis: The Niners need a cornerback, but there isn't one who would be worth taking here. Hunt is a project with a ton of upside. He's older, but he's a physical freak. At 6-8⅛ he ran a 4.6 40-yard dash.

In the final few game tapes of the 2012 season, I can see the light starting to come on. In San Francisco, he could develop at a good pace and wouldn't be forced into action too early.

If the Niners don't choose Hunt, they could look at safeties D.J. Swearinger or Matt Elam. Nose tackle Brandon Williams, a small-school prospect who is rising, wide receiver Quinton Patton or Trufant also could fit for the Niners.

32Manti Te'oBaltimore Ravens (10-6)
COLLEGE: Notre DameAGE: 22HT: 6-1¼WT: 241POS: LB
Analysis: The questions about his ability to play all three downs in the NFL were magnified by a 4.83 40 at the combine.

He has great instincts and plays faster than his 40 time. But whether he can hold up as an every-down player in the NFL is the question that a lot of teams will be mulling over -- especially those with ILB/MLB needs in the bottom third of first round, including the Giants, Bears, Texans and Ravens.

The Ravens also could consider Swearinger, Elam or John Cyprien at safety, Trufant at corner and center Travis Frederick.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

March 7th, 2013, 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next