View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 26th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 2013 Lions Draft Wish List 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
The biggest problem with Avril was that Mayhew didn't start negotiating with him until after the draft, and he got caught with his pants down. Mayhew thought that he was going to offer Avril $8.5 or so average for multiple years and crapped his pants when Avril walked. If Mayhew knew Avril's position I have to believe he would have traded him before the draft, and IMO failing to negotiate with Avril before the draft was utterly ridiculous and that move alone should have gotten him canned. It cost the team $10 million dollars and a first/second round pick. I'd say that's a big deal.

And now its very likely Avril will be gone and we will get nothing in return.

Yea but look at the bright side. We're not overpaying an also-ran DE top money for the next 3 years.

February 6th, 2013, 6:52 pm
liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
The biggest problem with Avril was that Mayhew didn't start negotiating with him until after the draft, and he got caught with his pants down. Mayhew thought that he was going to offer Avril $8.5 or so average for multiple years and crapped his pants when Avril walked. If Mayhew knew Avril's position I have to believe he would have traded him before the draft, and IMO failing to negotiate with Avril before the draft was utterly ridiculous and that move alone should have gotten him canned. It cost the team $10 million dollars and a first/second round pick. I'd say that's a big deal.

Yea but look at the bright side. We're not overpaying an also-ran DE top money for the next 3 years.

It's a sad day when a hopeful1st or 2nd round pick trade scenario turns into a total loss for the Lions and our management is so inept we're just happy that he didn't screw us in future years. Mayhew has to go.

February 6th, 2013, 7:15 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Time to update my list.

My original:

1 Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan - The Lions would be set at Tackle for the next decade.
2 Ziggy Ansah DE BYU - Although I doubt he will last this long. But hey it's a wish list!
3 Phillip Thomas S Fresno State - Had a hard time not taking a Guard here, just feel the need at Safety is bigger.
4 Zavier Gooden LB Missouri - This kid impressed me in the Senior Bowl, and although we currently don't have a 4th, rumor is we will be getting a comp pick.
5 Brian Schwenke C California - This kid impressed me in the Senior Bowl as well, and played some at guard. By Dom!
6 J.J. Wilcox SS Georgia Southern - We need the depth.
7 Kerwynn Williams RB Utah State - You should see this kids high-lite tapes.

My revised:

1 Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan - The Lions would be set at Tackle for the next decade. Barring a trade, I still like Fisher as Joeckel will probably be gone.
2 Jonathan Cyprien SS Florida International - This was a tough choice based on need, although there are many ways the Lions could go, and trade could be a stronger possibility here than in the 1st.
3 Andre Ellington RB Clemson - This is our " Best " replacement. It feels a little like a reach, but it's hard to figure with how much the boards change by draft day.
4 William Gholston DE Michigan State - Believe he will be a better pro than he was as a collegiate.
5 Chris Harper WR Kansas State - If we get a 4th, we need depth at WR. I liked this kid alot in the Senior bowl workouts. He has size you want in a #2, 6-1 228.
6 Quanterus Smith DE Western Kentucky
7 Duke Williams SS Nevada

February 19th, 2013, 2:06 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

It's a sad day when a hopeful1st or 2nd round pick trade scenario turns into a total loss for the Lions and our management is so inept we're just happy that he didn't screw us in future years. Mayhew has to go.

We will not get "NOTHING" for him. If he signs the contract you suspect he will with another team, then we will receive a 3rd round comp pick for him in the 2014 draft. Which, "ironically", is the round we drafted him in originally. So, we will break even on Avril.

February 19th, 2013, 2:32 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
Time to update my list.

My original:

1 Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan - The Lions would be set at Tackle for the next decade.
2 Ziggy Ansah DE BYU - Although I doubt he will last this long. But hey it's a wish list!
3 Phillip Thomas S Fresno State - Had a hard time not taking a Guard here, just feel the need at Safety is bigger.
4 Zavier Gooden LB Missouri - This kid impressed me in the Senior Bowl, and although we currently don't have a 4th, rumor is we will be getting a comp pick.
5 Brian Schwenke C California - This kid impressed me in the Senior Bowl as well, and played some at guard. By Dom!

My revised:

1 Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan - The Lions would be set at Tackle for the next decade. Barring a trade, I still like Fisher as Joeckel will probably be gone.
2 Jonathan Cyprien SS Florida International - This was a tough choice based on need, although there are many ways the Lions could go, and trade could be a stronger possibility here than in the 1st.
3 Andre Ellington RB Clemson - This is our " Best " replacement. It feels a little like a reach, but it's hard to figure with how much the boards change by draft day.
4 William Gholston DE Michigan State - Believe he will be a better pro than he was as a collegiate.
5 Chris Harper WR Kansas State - If we get a 4th, we need depth at WR. I liked this kid alot in the Senior bowl workouts. He has size you want in a #2, 6-1 228.

I know Mlive said Ellington would be a good Best replacement, but Id rather have Mike Gillislie from Florida. Great blocker in addition to his speed and quickness.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 19th, 2013, 2:39 pm
Heisman Winner

As always, I seem to have different thoughts. I think the Lions are still in BPA mode, since they have so many holes. I think before the combine I want something like this:

1- D. Milliner or C. Warmack. - I presume Joekel is gone, so go for the CB. If he is not elite on your board, go get the killer OG and tell the value complainers to go pound sand. Get me someone who can change the team. Either of these guys can do that...
2- Eric Reid LSU - Lions are dying for a safety. Delmas maybe can get healthy, but how do you count on that?
3- Will Gholston MSU - I think he will be an NFL starter before it is over. He can be the base end on the LH side I think over time.
4- can we trade Mike Thomas abck for this pick? Maybe a compensatory pick here for last year? If so, how about MArcus Lattimore for 2014?
5- K. Holmes C- USC Dom will be done soon, and Nagy may or may not be the answer. Need some depth there.
6- R. Lester or T. Matthieu - Still dying for DBs on this team.
7- Q. Sharp - P The Lions don't have one, and a good P is actually a weapon.

February 20th, 2013, 11:48 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Time to update my list.

My original:

My revised:

I know Mlive said Ellington would be a good Best replacement, but Id rather have Mike Gillislie from Florida. Great blocker in addition to his speed and quickness.

This is all a crap-shoot at this point, and we won't have a true value of players until a few weeks before the draft. I am often guilty of picking for need. Selecting players to fill the many holes that exist on the Lions.

February 21st, 2013, 1:55 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Liking Ansah more and more. Would be happy with either him or Fisher in the 1st.

February 25th, 2013, 12:03 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher was long gone by the time we draft. But Joeckel could be there.

February 25th, 2013, 1:54 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher was long gone by the time we draft. But Joeckel could be there.

No way. I think Chiefs take him.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 25th, 2013, 2:04 pm
I really think the possibility of both Fisher and Loeckel being gone at 5 is around 50-60%. I wouldn't mind trading up to 3, as long as it doesn't cost us the farm. I would only give a 2014 pick to do it. We have to fill too many holes this year. Getting a LT this year, IMO, is the most important position to fill in 2013, and there are two great ones to pick from. Oddly enough, there should be two great ones next year too, and IMO, if we don't get an LT this year (and maybe even if we do) I think we'll be picking in the top 10 again next year.

I still see Jones and Moore being at the top of our draft list right now, and I hate it.

IMO Millner is a dumb pick at 5. I think there are at least two CBs just as good, without the injury concerns that could be had toward the end of the first round.

February 25th, 2013, 2:34 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

No way. I think Chiefs take him.

INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock ended his seven hours of NFL Scouting Combine coverage Sunday with a 30-minute media session at Lucas Oil Stadium. Here are the highlights of his weekend evaluations:

» Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher could be in the mix for the No. 1 overall pick. Mayock said he thought Fisher already had closed the gap on Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel at the Senior Bowl. Mayock doesn't see much of a difference between the two, so if Joeckel is considered a possibility for the Kansas City Chiefs, then Fisher should be, too.

While I don't necessarily think Mayock's opinion is the be all end all of who's the best prospect, I do take his evaluations into consideration.

February 25th, 2013, 2:36 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I really think the possibility of both Fisher and Loeckel being gone at 5 is around 50-60%. I wouldn't mind trading up to 3, as long as it doesn't cost us the farm. I would only give a 2014 pick to do it. We have to fill too many holes this year. Getting a LT this year, IMO, is the most important position to fill in 2013, and there are two great ones to pick from. Oddly enough, there should be two great ones next year too, and IMO, if we don't get an LT this year (and maybe even if we do) I think we'll be picking in the top 10 again next year.

I still see Jones and Moore being at the top of our draft list right now, and I hate it.

IMO Millner is a dumb pick at 5. I think there are at least two CBs just as good, without the injury concerns that could be had toward the end of the first round.

Just heard Moore had terrible combine numbers. Don't think he's our guy. Same with Jones because of his injury situation. As I said in another thread, this FO has been accused of taking unnecessary risks in terms of character and injury history. You think they're going to play into that by taking Jones at #5? I seriously doubt it.

February 25th, 2013, 2:38 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

wjb21ndtown wrote:

I would hate a trade up. If their gone, so be it and move on. If Jones and Moore are at the top of our draft list, then we need a new list.

February 25th, 2013, 2:44 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Just heard Moore had terrible combine numbers. Don't think he's our guy. Same with Jones because of his injury situation. As I said in another thread, this FO has been accused of taking unnecessary risks in terms of character and injury history. You think they're going to play into that by taking Jones at #5? I seriously doubt it.

We've shown time and time again that we're willing to risk it. Maybe we've learned our lesson, maybe we haven't. Until we pass on those guys, I'm going to have a tight sphincter until the #5 pick is announced.

February 25th, 2013, 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next