View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 2013 Combine's 
Walk On

Post 2013 Combine's
Have anyone been watching the Combine's. If we were picking another Wr or Rb based off of speed. There's a lot of depth in both positions to fill our need late in the draft. Because Goodwin 4.27 is a burner and RB McCalebb (4.21/4.27 He was shafted) 4.34 to replace Best as a 5th Rd pick. But unfortunately his body of work may not be the answer unfortunately unless your Al Davis. An that O-lineman who ran a 4.62.

February 25th, 2013, 1:25 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: 2013 Combine's
Have watched most of combine, and yes those guys can run fast, but that doesn't always transfer to the field. McCalebb is on the light side ( like 170 lbs. ). Can he catch the ball? Goodwin has more potential, but I would rather take a wideout that has a proven body of work at catching the ball.
The receivers I thought were most impressive were, obviously everybody's favorite Tavon Austin, kid can fly, make you miss and has great hands. Next imo was Ryan Swope.
He's fast, caught a lot of balls at A&M and could be drafted in the middle rounds, which is huge to me, as I don't think the Lions should take a WR in the first 3 rounds.

February 25th, 2013, 1:50 pm
Tavon Austin ran an "unofficial 4.25." He'll be a mid-first round pick, for sure. He was already rated as a low first early second guy. He's someone I was hoping would fall to the Lions IF one of the three CBs or one of my top 3 DEs didn't fall.

I like Swope a LOT. I think he could step in as a 3-5th round pick and play #2 for us by the end of the year.

February 25th, 2013, 2:24 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I can see Austin spending a lot of time on the trainer's table, looks like a DeSean Jackson clone. As far as Swope is concerned unless he transfers this combine speed to the field I think he's just going to be average in the NFL. I watched a number of A&M games from the last two seasons and despite his numbers he just didn't stand out. His ability to separate wasn't that great and he benefited from two QBs that moved around to by more time and allowed the coverage to break down. I've been a fan of Hopkins, he didn't run a blazing 40 but his routes are really polished for a college player, knows how to get open, and can go get the ball. Unfortunately he will be a 2nd rounder and that's really too high for Detroit with all the help they need and the depth of the WR position in this year's draft.

February 25th, 2013, 4:15 pm
NFL Veteran

I have never seen Swope play, but after seeing him at the combine I started to look around for more info on him and it all says he can't separate. He had a lot of question marks about his speed going into the combine. He was pretty close to the top guys in virtually every drill, so he could be a good value if you get him after the 3rd.

February 25th, 2013, 4:27 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
I can see Austin spending a lot of time on the trainer's table, looks like a DeSean Jackson clone. As far as Swope is concerned unless he transfers this combine speed to the field I think he's just going to be average in the NFL. I watched a number of A&M games from the last two seasons and despite his numbers he just didn't stand out. His ability to separate wasn't that great and he benefited from two QBs that moved around to by more time and allowed the coverage to break down. I've been a fan of Hopkins, he didn't run a blazing 40 but his routes are really polished for a college player, knows how to get open, and can go get the ball. Unfortunately he will be a 2nd rounder and that's really too high for Detroit with all the help they need and the depth of the WR position in this year's draft.

Don't get me wrong... There are a ton of guys I like more than Swope, but we can't afford to take a WR before the 3rd-5th rounds, IMO. That said, Swope has the frame, character, smarts, etc. to play the position. He reminds me of a Welker, Stokely, Decker sort of player. I think he could do well single covered with CJ taking pressure off of him on the outside, and I think he'd be a great value. We don't tend to get much out of our later round picks, for us to land a possible #2 WR out of the deal, I would find that amazing.

February 25th, 2013, 4:38 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The problem is Swope's combine performance along with stats are going to likely push him into the 2nd or 3rd round. I have three VT games that I'm going to have to go back and watch so I can see Fuller but he was pretty impressive this week. He needs work on his routes but I think he has potential, but like I said I have to back and watch. Wish I had some WSU games so I could see Wilson, guess I'll just have to go the video breakdowns online.

February 25th, 2013, 4:54 pm
NFL Veteran

Whoever they get as a WR2 doesn't need to be a good route runner. All they need to be able to do is separate on a streak or post route to try and keep a safety on their side of the field and away from CJ.

February 25th, 2013, 5:14 pm
rao wrote:
Whoever they get as a WR2 doesn't need to be a good route runner. All they need to be able to do is separate on a streak or post route to try and keep a safety on their side of the field and away from CJ.

That's why I wanted us to get Manningham last year in FA. Good speed, good size, and you can't ignore him. Doesn't even matter that he drops his fair share, you can't ignore that guy deep. We need someone that can beat the jam, and streak down the field... with his clothes on, of course...

:idea: :arrow: :cheers:

February 25th, 2013, 5:18 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

That's why I wanted us to get Manningham last year in FA. Good speed, good size, and you can't ignore him. Doesn't even matter that he drops his fair share, you can't ignore that guy deep. We need someone that can beat the jam, and streak down the field... with his clothes on, of course...

Haha, yeah I'm totally with you on that. I would of been really happy with Manningham last year. There are still guys like him in FA this year though so I may say don't draft a WR at all. You may even see some more one dimensional burners get released before the season with all the depth guys in this draft.

February 25th, 2013, 5:22 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

Haha, yeah I'm totally with you on that. I would of been really happy with Manningham last year. There are still guys like him in FA this year though so I may say don't draft a WR at all. You may even see some more one dimensional burners get released before the season with all the depth guys in this draft.

It's just tough with our cap situation. I'd rather sign a FA FS/SS and draft a WR, than draft a rookie FS/SS and sign a WR in FA. We can't really afford both. We poop the bed last offseason, BIG TIME.

February 25th, 2013, 5:26 pm
RIP Killer

Te'o ran an official 4.82 in the 40', just slightly slower than his imaginary girlfriend. Welcome to round 2 Manti...

February 25th, 2013, 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Walk On

This guy is gonna be a solid sleeper in the 4th or 5th Rd. pick at Running Back barring any injuries. Knile Davis 6'0 225 4.37 out of Arkansas. He's built with solid muscle kinda remind me of Darren McFadden, unfortunately so does his injury history based on his production at Arkansas. Here's his highlight's link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV6hW2ggiO4

Knile Davis shows an impressive blend of size, strength, speed
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 25, 2013, 2:37 PM EST
Knile Davis AP

If it’s possible for a player coming off an unimpressive final season of college football to change perceptions of himself with a few good days at the Scouting Combine, then former Arkansas running back Knile Davis has done it.

Davis, who ran for just 377 yards in a disappointing 2012 season, had an outstanding couple of days at the Scouting Combine. Davis was both the second-fastest running back, with a 40-yard dash officially timed at 4.37 seconds, and the second-strongest running back, with 31 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.

At 227 pounds, Davis is much bigger than most running backs who can break 4.45 seconds in the 40. In fact, the only other running back who was faster than 4.45 seconds this year was Auburn’s Onterio McCalebb, who weighed in at just 168 pounds. FootballOutsiders.com has had some success predicting a running back’s future success using a formula incorporating his weight and 40 time to determine something called the Speed Score, and Davis had by far the best Speed Score of any running back this year. (McCalebb is so light that he actually comes in below average on the formula, despite his impressive 40 time.)

Davis said he believes he’s the same kind of player as two of the best running backs in the league.

“I think the thing that sets me apart is the size, speed, agility combination,” Davis said. “I think that is a rare combination that you just don’t find every year. The guy I really compare myself would be more of an Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson. Arian Foster with the zone running. I’m really good at running the zone and just the size and speed of Adrian Peterson.”

That comparison may be a bit over the top. But Davis definitely has turned some heads in the last few days.

February 25th, 2013, 5:51 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

I agree with you. I think we really need to draft someone from Boise St who can really stretch the field and take pressure off of Calvin...

Oh wait..

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 25th, 2013, 5:53 pm
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

I agree with you. I think we really need to draft someone from Boise St who can really stretch the field and take pressure off of Calvin...

Oh wait..

Torrey Smith should have been our draft pick that year. We had Nate B to play the slot and needed a #2 bad. It was dumb of us not to put Young in the 2 slot.

February 25th, 2013, 5:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next