View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 9:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Team MVP

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/02/report_detroit_lions_center_do.html

Dom supposedly taking the vet min contract saving us $3M in cap space.

Fantastic. Now, if we draft Joeckel/Fisher and release/restructure Backus we'll be paying for a possibly even better offensive line for maybe $14 million a year compared to the $25 million that would've been spent with the original.

The time to restructure Stafford's contract and backload a bunch of money in the first year is NOW.

Definitely a good thing. They say they are working on restructuring Staffords contract, hopefully it gets done soon. Staff seems like a real team player, so I wouldnt think it would take too long.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 24th, 2013, 11:49 am
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/02/report_detroit_lions_center_do.html

Dom supposedly taking the vet min contract saving us $3M in cap space.

Fantastic. Now, if we draft Joeckel/Fisher and release/restructure Backus we'll be paying for a possibly even better offensive line for maybe $14 million a year compared to the $25 million that would've been spent with the original.

The time to restructure Stafford's contract and backload a bunch of money in the first year is NOW.

Definitely a good thing. They say they are working on restructuring Staffords contract, hopefully it gets done soon. Staff seems like a real team player, so I wouldnt think it would take too long.

They could restructure Stafford easily this year. But, they will not be able to add any years to him until after the Flacco deal is done. The Flacco deal will set the playing field for QB's.

February 24th, 2013, 8:49 pm
Varsity Captain

The FO has redone Dom's contract, finished negotiations yesterday. His base salary for 2013 went from 4+ mill, to $950,000 (not guarannted sp?). Obviously his career as a starter is over and he knows it. Not sure how much that will save us on the cap, but it will be enough to get us a decent player in FA.

Backus is done, add to that the near certaintity that Gods is gone and we have the money to sign OT Brandon Albert-Chiefs or Andy Levitre OG Bills, maybe both?! Then we could call FA done.

Draft for the D and If the coaching staff can't make them a winner then Call Ernie Carter from Midland, MI. Not a better man on the planet.

February 24th, 2013, 10:58 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Boz wrote:
The FO has redone Dom's contract, finished negotiations yesterday. His base salary for 2013 went from 4+ mill, to $950,000 (not guarannted sp?). Obviously his career as a starter is over and he knows it. Not sure how much that will save us on the cap, but it will be enough to get us a decent player in FA.

Backus is done, add to that the near certaintity that Gods is gone and we have the money to sign OT Brandon Albert-Chiefs or Andy Levitre OG Bills, maybe both?! Then we could call FA done.

Draft for the D and If the coaching staff can't make them a winner then Call Ernie Carter from Midland, MI. Not a better man on the planet.

um so far only 3 returning starters on defense. that would in no way shape or form end our free agency.

February 25th, 2013, 1:20 pm
Boz wrote:

Boz, we're going to eat up virtually our entire FA field just re-signing Chris Houston ($4.5ish), Lawrence Jackson ($2.5ish), & Justin Durant ($3.5ish).

That's $10.5 million dollars, and we're only $8 million under the cap right now. Nate just "restructured" so that should free up a little more, we can get $1.5 out of Backus if we cut him, we can get $1.9 out of Shaun Hill if we trade him, and there is about $5 mill to be saved in RESPONSIBLE money in extending Stafford, if we can pull it off. We can save more money on Stafford if we do it irresponsibly, but that said, it may be the right thing to do IF getting rid of Suh next year is on the books.

We're only going to likely have around $6 million to spend in FA outside of resigning our "necessary" D players, and our FO may want to bring back Levy or his FA equivalent for another $3.5.

We can probably afford Levitre in FA, but why? We have Nagy who needs time on the OL and he needs to prove he can stay healthy for 16 games before stepping in for Dom in 2014. There's only one spot for him and it's at OG. Then we have Fox that needs to prove his worth or be a consummate depth player. IMO Levitre is a wasted signing this year. I'd rather sign a #2 FA wr, or an additional D player (FA SS/FS).

February 25th, 2013, 2:42 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I think they can get as much as $9 million from Stafford in a "responible" extension. I think there is another $1.5 million they can get by releasing or trading Scheffler for a late round conditional pick. There are always speedy small TE/ big WR guys available late in the draft and as UDFAs.

February 25th, 2013, 4:22 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
I think they can get as much as $9 million from Stafford in a "responible" extension. I think there is another $1.5 million they can get by releasing or trading Scheffler for a late round conditional pick. There are always speedy small TE/ big WR guys available late in the draft and as UDFAs.

I would like to see us trade Shaun Hill before Sheff. Even if he doesn't have that much "skill" he's still a huge part of our offense. He's still our 3rd leading receiver, and IMO he's much more reliable than Pett. I just can't see us replacing him for what we'd get for him.

I would like to see us trade Shaun Hill. I think we could get a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick for him, and it would free up $1.9 million dollars for us. If we were playoff ready he'd be worth it as an insurance policy, but we're not going anywhere for at least another season anyhow (and I'd argue that we're at least 2 bad seasons away from being playoff contenders again), so I say let him go now, free up the cash, & take a backup Qb late in the draft.

I'd love for the Lions to have a Flynn/Foles type of project player on the roster. Someone that we could deal for something later, and an insurance policy if Staff doesn't pan out.

February 25th, 2013, 4:44 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

I would like to see us trade Shaun Hill before Sheff. Even if he doesn't have that much "skill" he's still a huge part of our offense. He's still our 3rd leading receiver, and IMO he's much more reliable than Pett. I just can't see us replacing him for what we'd get for him.

I would like to see us trade Shaun Hill. I think we could get a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick for him, and it would free up $1.9 million dollars for us. If we were playoff ready he'd be worth it as an insurance policy, but we're not going anywhere for at least another season anyhow (and I'd argue that we're at least 2 bad seasons away from being playoff contenders again), so I say let him go now, free up the cash, & take a backup Qb late in the draft.

I'd love for the Lions to have a Flynn/Foles type of project player on the roster. Someone that we could deal for something later, and an insurance policy if Staff doesn't pan out.

Absolutely no way anyone gives a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Shaun Hill. He's 33 years old and has barely played since 2010. If he was still in anyway young he would maybe pull a 3rd, but at his age and lack of playing time I'm not sure if he's even tradeable. No one is going into the season with Hill as their starting QB, even the teams with bad QBs would play their young guy over Hill. I could get an EJ Manuel for a 2nd rounder, would you honestly rather have Hill then EJ Manuel starting for you if you were ARI, CLE, JAC, or OAK?

February 25th, 2013, 5:09 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

Absolutely no way anyone gives a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Shaun Hill. He's 33 years old and has barely played since 2010. If he was still in anyway young he would maybe pull a 3rd, but at his age and lack of playing time I'm not sure if he's even tradeable. No one is going into the season with Hill as their starting QB, even the teams with bad QBs would play their young guy over Hill. I could get an EJ Manuel for a 2nd rounder, would you honestly rather have Hill then EJ Manuel starting for you if you were ARI, CLE, JAC, or OAK?

The recent success of guys like Russel Wilson may impact the decision. Thanks for the update on Hill, I thought he was more like 29-30. If I was AZ, I'd rather have Hill. He's a good Qb, he's played very well when given the opportunity, and IMO they're ready to win now with the right Qb at the helm.

I still think we could get a 3rd or 4th for him given his age and salary. In fact, I think it would behoove a team like AZ to trade for Hill AND bring in someone like Manuel.

February 25th, 2013, 5:16 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The recent success of guys like Russel Wilson may impact the decision. Thanks for the update on Hill, I thought he was more like 29-30. If I was AZ, I'd rather have Hill. He's a good Qb, he's played very well when given the opportunity, and IMO they're ready to win now with the right Qb at the helm.

I still think we could get a 3rd or 4th for him given his age and salary. In fact, I think it would behoove a team like AZ to trade for Hill AND bring in someone like Manuel.

Only way I see something like that happening would be if they could move Kolb for something. Personally if I'm ARI I would rather try Kolb again over starting Hill. Hill has always had poor arm strength and that was when he was young. You would be really limiting your ability to use Fitz with Hill, when Hill is in you have to hope for YAC. He's got value as a back up/mentor, but I think that is even limited because he would have to go to a team with a pocket QB or he wouldn't be able to run the offense. I don't see him getting more than a 6th round pick and at that the Lions should just get him to restructure or release him. Stafford has managed to stay up for two seasons now, so I think they can survive with a cheap backup.

February 25th, 2013, 5:35 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Only way I see something like that happening would be if they could move Kolb for something. Personally if I'm ARI I would rather try Kolb again over starting Hill. Hill has always had poor arm strength and that was when he was young. You would be really limiting your ability to use Fitz with Hill, when Hill is in you have to hope for YAC. He's got value as a back up/mentor, but I think that is even limited because he would have to go to a team with a pocket QB or he wouldn't be able to run the offense. I don't see him getting more than a 6th round pick and at that the Lions should just get him to restructure or release him. Stafford has managed to stay up for two seasons now, so I think they can survive with a cheap backup.

See, I've never liked Kolb, so I may be a bit impartial.

February 25th, 2013, 5:41 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

See, I've never liked Kolb, so I may be a bit impartial.

I don't like Kolb either, but he still seems to have upside and he has played well when he wasn't injured. If Kolb doesn't make it through a season this year or doesn't show some good play I think he's done, but there is still enough of an unknown on him that I think a team would start him over a mediocre vet.

I think the Lions offense makes Hill's ability to make the short passes look a bit better than he is, defenses just let DET play in front of them and stop the big play from CJ. When Hill gets on the field teams still have to respect CJ and that plays to Hill's strength as a passer, but if you go in with Hill as your full time starter I think teams will tear him apart.

February 25th, 2013, 5:53 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Boz wrote:

Boz, we're going to eat up virtually our entire FA field just re-signing Chris Houston ($4.5ish), Lawrence Jackson ($2.5ish), & Justin Durant ($3.5ish).

That's $10.5 million dollars, and we're only $8 million under the cap right now. Nate just "restructured" so that should free up a little more, we can get $1.5 out of Backus if we cut him, we can get $1.9 out of Shaun Hill if we trade him, and there is about $5 mill to be saved in RESPONSIBLE money in extending Stafford, if we can pull it off. We can save more money on Stafford if we do it irresponsibly, but that said, it may be the right thing to do IF getting rid of Suh next year is on the books.

We're only going to likely have around $6 million to spend in FA outside of resigning our "necessary" D players, and our FO may want to bring back Levy or his FA equivalent for another $3.5.

We can probably afford Levitre in FA, but why? We have Nagy who needs time on the OL and he needs to prove he can stay healthy for 16 games before stepping in for Dom in 2014. There's only one spot for him and it's at OG. Then we have Fox that needs to prove his worth or be a consummate depth player. IMO Levitre is a wasted signing this year. I'd rather sign a #2 FA wr, or an additional D player (FA SS/FS).

Trade Suh, restructure Staff, and have Nate/Backus' contract end and we'll be just fine, having replacements for each and getting about $17 million in space and maybe a 2nd rounder.

February 25th, 2013, 10:17 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Trading Suh this year or at least before June 1st gains the Lions no leverage. With his restructure last season he pushed I believe $6 million back into guaranteed money. The only relief would come in trading him next season or after June 1st when all the major FAs have been signed and after the draft.

February 25th, 2013, 11:35 pm
Varsity Captain

Just read on KFFL that the Lions don't appear to have much intrest in resigning Houston or Lacey. Don't know where it came from but it's there. Smoke Screen?

February 26th, 2013, 3:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 44  Next