View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 6:28 pm



Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 2013 Lions Draft Wish List 
Author Message
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1377
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:
Ansah is 6'5 271 with 35 1/8" arms and 10 1/4" hands. He Ran a 4.63 and put up 21 reps on the bench. He looked like a top ten DE prospect physically. His low production could be due a little bit to him not having a true position at BYU. They used him in to many ways for a guy that just started football. He was great in the wide 9 at the senior bowl and he'll take to things like a sponge since he hasn't had a chance to specialize yet.

He seems like exactly what Schwartz looks for in a DE. Anyone know his age? BYU guys tend to be old.



I know as of right now, Id be happy with Ansah at 5, if Fisher and Joeckel are gone. We need a DE, actually 2.


Same for me. If the LTs are gone I'd feel good about Ansah and I'm feeling like both tackles are almost a lock to be gone now. Word is Chiefs have a deal in place for Alex Smith and the Eagles could easily take the OT that is left. Terron Armstead would be a good 2nd 3rd day guy to go after if they don't get one of the top OTs, I don't see the Lions passing on what could be the top prospect at DE for the 3rd rated OT, so I think Johnson is out as a pick even though he may be as good as the other two.


February 25th, 2013, 3:50 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1377
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
As for a second DE I was looking at Cornelius Washington, but he may have put himself into the 2nd day with his crazy bench (36) and 40 time (4.55) for a 265 lbs DE and his play as a pure pass rusher in the senior bowl.


February 25th, 2013, 3:57 pm
Profile
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
Ansah still reminds me of Ikaika Alama Francis... Similar size, similar skill set, similar ability, similar college stats, etc...

Ansah is slightly faster (.2 seconds in the 40... IAF ran a 4.80), but IAF was more stout, and stronger, both of which I think are going to hold Ansah back in the NFL.

He had a couple of pressures, a strip, some tackles and a tackle for loss in the Senior Bowl (best I can tell), and his draft stock shot up from early second round to a top 15 pick, despite having 4.5 sacks last year.

You can argue that BYU didn't use him properly, but I think the more likely scenario is that he is just that raw. He never played football until college... just like IAF... They're virtually the same player, with IAF being a little slower.

Again, I see him as a project player that shouldn't be taken in the top 15. He is yet another "risk," and we're a team full of risks that haven't panned out. We need to take someone stable.


February 25th, 2013, 7:46 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2301
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
I'd be upset with Ansah at #5 he's just too much of a project but he's exactly what the Lions need in the Wide-9, explosive with good agility. I'd much rather grab some middle round guy with upside, re-sign LoJack and see what Freeney would sign for (was reportedly upset the Colts didn't even give him a lowball contract) and look at Tapp for a year or two.


February 25th, 2013, 8:14 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
Im all for keeping (or making) the D-line a strength, so Im all for Ansah at 5. From everything Ive seen of him I think he could end up doing really well in this defense. But what if the Lions suck again and the coaching staff/scheme gets wiped out, then how does Ansah get used? So again, we NEED 2 defensive ends, why not start with Ansah.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


February 25th, 2013, 8:33 pm
Profile
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
kdsberman wrote:
Im all for keeping (or making) the D-line a strength, so Im all for Ansah at 5. From everything Ive seen of him I think he could end up doing really well in this defense. But what if the Lions suck again and the coaching staff/scheme gets wiped out, then how does Ansah get used? So again, we NEED 2 defensive ends, why not start with Ansah.


Still LT is our biggest need, and there are two great ones in this draft. IMO we should do w/e we have to in order to ensure we get one of them.


February 25th, 2013, 8:39 pm
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Im all for keeping (or making) the D-line a strength, so Im all for Ansah at 5. From everything Ive seen of him I think he could end up doing really well in this defense. But what if the Lions suck again and the coaching staff/scheme gets wiped out, then how does Ansah get used? So again, we NEED 2 defensive ends, why not start with Ansah.


Still LT is our biggest need, and there are two great ones in this draft. IMO we should do w/e we have to in order to ensure we get one of them.


This I agree with. But when talking about drafting Ansah, that is assuming both LTs are off the board and we stay at 5. I think if Joeckel is gone, it might not hurt to move up in front of Philly to secure Fisher.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


February 25th, 2013, 8:50 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1377
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Ansah still reminds me of Ikaika Alama Francis... Similar size, similar skill set, similar ability, similar college stats, etc...

Ansah is slightly faster (.2 seconds in the 40... IAF ran a 4.80), but IAF was more stout, and stronger, both of which I think are going to hold Ansah back in the NFL.

He had a couple of pressures, a strip, some tackles and a tackle for loss in the Senior Bowl (best I can tell), and his draft stock shot up from early second round to a top 15 pick, despite having 4.5 sacks last year.

You can argue that BYU didn't use him properly, but I think the more likely scenario is that he is just that raw. He never played football until college... just like IAF... They're virtually the same player, with IAF being a little slower.

Again, I see him as a project player that shouldn't be taken in the top 15. He is yet another "risk," and we're a team full of risks that haven't panned out. We need to take someone stable.


Jason Pierre-Paul had very similar stats his year coming out and physically Ansah is almost identical in measurables, also Ansah got his stats only starting 9 games. Ansah actually had a better vert and was almost a tenth of a second faster in the 40. I wish Ansah would have done the 3 cone and 20 yrd SS, but it looks like they had him listed purely as a DL and he didn't get to do the drills. Edit: Just wanted to add I'm not saying Ansah will be as good or better than JPP, just that he has that kind of potential and build although he's not as bendy as JPP.

IAF was looked at as a 3-4 DE by most scouts and I have no idea why he was drafted to be a DE in the cover 2. He was also never looked at by anyone as a 1st round pick. Ansah shows actual agility and a fluidity of movement that other top prospects have before, that is something never shown by IAF.

Ansah was getting looks as a 1st rounder before the senior bowl and started getting top 15 talk after, I think the combine has done a lot for him and really if both Tackles are gone he's got the most upside at #5. I am totally on board with moving up for one of the OTs, but let's be realistic. Mayhew is not trading up for an OT he'll sit in his spot and take what falls.

I only like Ansah if DET stays at #5(which is what I see happening) and both of the OTs(only real top 10 talent) are gone. This draft is poor at the top if your looking for a consistent top level athlete. This year you either take great athlete with risk or a guy that would be a 15-32 pick most other years.


February 25th, 2013, 9:49 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 806
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Ansah still reminds me of Ikaika Alama Francis... Similar size, similar skill set, similar ability, similar college stats, etc...

Ansah is slightly faster (.2 seconds in the 40... IAF ran a 4.80), but IAF was more stout, and stronger, both of which I think are going to hold Ansah back in the NFL.

He had a couple of pressures, a strip, some tackles and a tackle for loss in the Senior Bowl (best I can tell), and his draft stock shot up from early second round to a top 15 pick, despite having 4.5 sacks last year.

You can argue that BYU didn't use him properly, but I think the more likely scenario is that he is just that raw. He never played football until college... just like IAF... They're virtually the same player, with IAF being a little slower.

Again, I see him as a project player that shouldn't be taken in the top 15. He is yet another "risk," and we're a team full of risks that haven't panned out. We need to take someone stable.


I am glad you brought this up. I am also fearing a project. It is good to recall the guys who while athletic and raw, do not always pan out. People see Aldon Smith and JPP in some of these guys. Likely, they will not all end up that good. There will be some IAFs in the group as well.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


February 26th, 2013, 10:23 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1051
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Im all for keeping (or making) the D-line a strength, so Im all for Ansah at 5. From everything Ive seen of him I think he could end up doing really well in this defense. But what if the Lions suck again and the coaching staff/scheme gets wiped out, then how does Ansah get used? So again, we NEED 2 defensive ends, why not start with Ansah.


Still LT is our biggest need, and there are two great ones in this draft. IMO we should do w/e we have to in order to ensure we get one of them.


This I agree with. But when talking about drafting Ansah, that is assuming both LTs are off the board and we stay at 5. I think if Joeckel is gone, it might not hurt to move up in front of Philly to secure Fisher.



Looking on the bright side, now that Johnson has joined Joeckel and Fisher in the top ten we should be able to get one. Worst case scenario, all three are gone, and we're left choosing between Milliner (reach IMO), Ansah or possibly Jarvis Jones.


February 27th, 2013, 4:55 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7395
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Im all for keeping (or making) the D-line a strength, so Im all for Ansah at 5. From everything Ive seen of him I think he could end up doing really well in this defense. But what if the Lions suck again and the coaching staff/scheme gets wiped out, then how does Ansah get used? So again, we NEED 2 defensive ends, why not start with Ansah.


Still LT is our biggest need, and there are two great ones in this draft. IMO we should do w/e we have to in order to ensure we get one of them.


This I agree with. But when talking about drafting Ansah, that is assuming both LTs are off the board and we stay at 5. I think if Joeckel is gone, it might not hurt to move up in front of Philly to secure Fisher.



Looking on the bright side, now that Johnson has joined Joeckel and Fisher in the top ten we should be able to get one. Worst case scenario, all three are gone, and we're left choosing between Milliner (reach IMO), Ansah or possibly Jarvis Jones.


Agree. We are going to get a very good player at a position of great need any way it goes.


February 27th, 2013, 10:28 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: September 28th, 2011, 5:57 pm
Posts: 302
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
We could look at Margus Hunt in the 2nd


February 28th, 2013, 2:29 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2297
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
Geno Smith to the Raiders rumors have begun. Could be a smokescreen to gin up a trade, but either way, having a QB come off before we pick would be nice.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


February 28th, 2013, 7:52 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
Just had a dream last night that we passed on Eric Fisher and took Lane Johnson.

SEE WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING TO ME!!

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


February 28th, 2013, 9:43 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1377
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
Boz wrote:
We could look at Margus Hunt in the 2nd


I think Hunt goes to Gus Bradley in Jacksonville, so he is able to set up his big Dline like he had in Seattle. Hunt will give him DT size at LE and they have plenty of little guys on the roster to play the Leo position on the right.

I'm not a fan of Hunt in the wide 9, he's missing the lateral quickness, he is a little to stiff, and likes to stand straight up a lot. I don't think he'll be able to turn the corner on athletic LTs and you can't just bull rush every down. He seems more like a JJ Watt 3-4 DE and could be just as scary as Watt if he keeps learning football as quickly as he has.


February 28th, 2013, 10:12 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.