View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 1:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 2013 Combine's 
Walk On

Post Re: 2013 Combine's
I know we shouldn't use the combine to judge players solely. But those top 10 DE's scare me based on they're work-outs outside Dion Jordan, who don't fit our scheme. I like Margus Hunt for the 2nd Rd. or back of the first in our 4-3.

February 27th, 2013, 2:52 pm
NFL Veteran

Mufasa wrote:
I know we shouldn't use the combine to judge players solely. But those top 10 DE's scare me based on they're work-outs outside Dion Jordan, who don't fit our scheme. I like Margus Hunt for the 2nd Rd. or back of the first in our 4-3.

What didn't you like about the other DEs workouts that you liked out of Jordan's? Are you just talking about Werner and Moore? I thought Ansah's work out looked just like Jordan.

Hunt is enticing, but I thought he looked rigid in the drills. I don't think he's going to have good lateral ability and will make a much much better 3-4 DE than he will a LE in the 4-3.

February 27th, 2013, 4:24 pm
Walk On

rao wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

What didn't you like about the other DEs workouts that you liked out of Jordan's? Are you just talking about Werner and Moore? I thought Ansah's work out looked just like Jordan.

Hunt is enticing, but I thought he looked rigid in the drills. I don't think he's going to have good lateral ability and will make a much much better 3-4 DE than he will a LE in the 4-3.

Actually, I did like Ansah's work out. I didn't bring him into conversation because to many experts said he's a work in progress which doesn't make him a ideal pick at #5. We need a day 1 starter and Jordan was at least a top 10 pick. But the others didn't really jump out at me. An they painted Moore as a situational starter which is something we don't need. I would be happy with Milliner or Fisher as a solid pick. Maybe Hunt or Reid (safety) in the second. Go DE later in the draft.

February 27th, 2013, 7:11 pm
NFL Veteran

Mufasa wrote:
rao wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

Actually, I did like Ansah's work out. I didn't bring him into conversation because to many experts said he's a work in progress which doesn't make him a ideal pick at #5. We need a day 1 starter and Jordan was at least a top 10 pick. But the others didn't really jump out at me. An they painted Moore as a situational starter which is something we don't need. I would be happy with Milliner or Fisher as a solid pick. Maybe Hunt or Reid (safety) in the second. Go DE later in the draft.

I'd say Werner is the only top rated DE that isn't a work in progress, but then he may not have a much higher ceiling. IMO the wide 9 is a really easy system for DEs and it wont matter to much who they put out there as long as the guy has top level speed.

I'm not big on taking Milliner only because I don't think he makes a difference on the defense without making sure you can upgrade the 7 other spots that are open. They really need to go Oline and look for a DB in the second or third.

February 27th, 2013, 8:02 pm
Walk On

rao wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
rao wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

I'd say Werner is the only top rated DE that isn't a work in progress, but then he may not have a much higher ceiling. IMO the wide 9 is a really easy system for DEs and it wont matter to much who they put out there as long as the guy has top level speed.

I'm not big on taking Milliner only because I don't think he makes a difference on the defense without making sure you can upgrade the 7 other spots that are open. They really need to go Oline and look for a DB in the second or third.

I'm ok with them taking Eric Fisher, just not one of the DE's. You pointed out how the DE's need to be fast in the wide 9, U know Hunt ran a 4.60 in his 40.

February 28th, 2013, 12:10 am
NFL Veteran

Mufasa wrote:
rao wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
rao wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

I'm ok with them taking Eric Fisher, just not one of the DE's. You pointed out how the DE's need to be fast in the wide 9, U know Hunt ran a 4.60 in his 40.

Yeah I liked Hunt's 40, I think he's a great talent bad fit. I should have said Wide 9 DEs need top level speed and good agility. Hunt is stiff and likes to stand up straight a lot. The standing part can be fixed but his stiffness is who he is. What makes Jordan, Ansah, Jones, and Mingo so interesting is their flexibility and lateral movement. When coming off the edge those guys will be able to dip their shoulder, spin move, or even slip around the bigger bodied OTs they face. Hunt won't be able to do that, he'll come in strong and fast to either win with speed or hit head on and it will be easy to ride him past the QB since he doesn't change direction smoothly. IMO he'll make a good LE in a more traditional 4-3 and a great 3-4 DE.

February 28th, 2013, 10:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4