View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 2013 Lions Draft Wish List 
RIP Killer

Post Re: 2013 Lions Draft Wish List
kdsberman wrote:
Just had a dream last night that we passed on Eric Fisher and took Lane Johnson.

SEE WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING TO ME!!

Am I the only one who still has Lane Johnson as a 10-20 type pick. I know he is rising but I don't have him anywhere near #5. Honestly, I have him rated much like I had Rieff last year.

February 28th, 2013, 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Just had a dream last night that we passed on Eric Fisher and took Lane Johnson.

Am I the only one who still has Lane Johnson as a 10-20 type pick. I know he is rising but I don't have him anywhere near #5. Honestly, I have him rated much like I had Rieff last year.

No, you are not the only one. I wouldnt be too happy taking Lane Johnson at #5. Im not worried though because I have ZERO confidence the Lions would do that anyway. If Ansah is there, I dont see them passing on him.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 28th, 2013, 11:50 am
Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I was worried about that when you get down to the 3rd best OT in this draft too. Reiff was still rated as a first round LT, regardless... That said, I looked up the combine numbers, and this year's top 3 are stronger and more athletic than Reiff in every way.

Eric Fisher
5.05 SEC
27 REPS
28.5 INCH
116.0 INCH
Top Performer
7.59 SEC
4.44 SEC

Luke Joeckel
5.30 SEC
27 REPS
28.5 INCH
106.0 INCH
7.40 SEC
Top Performer
4.68 SEC

Lane Johnson
4.72 SEC
Top Performer
28 REPS
34.0 INCH
Top Performer
118.0 INCH
Top Performer
7.31 SEC
Top Performer
4.52 SEC

These guys out muscle Reiff, they're faster than Reiff, and they're more agile than Reiff... The only thing that scares me is that Johnson had one season at LT, and a mixed bag at Qb, TE, DE, and RT. The good news is he is athletic enough to play DE, and he understands the position. He understands what the opposition is trying to do to him. That said, he still seems like a bit of a project, and you guys know how I feel about projects in the first round.

February 28th, 2013, 12:00 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I was worried about that when you get down to the 3rd best OT in this draft too. Reiff was still rated as a first round LT, regardless... That said, I looked up the combine numbers, and this year's top 3 are stronger and more athletic than Reiff in every way.

Eric Fisher
5.05 SEC
27 REPS
28.5 INCH
116.0 INCH
Top Performer
7.59 SEC
4.44 SEC

Luke Joeckel
5.30 SEC
27 REPS
28.5 INCH
106.0 INCH
7.40 SEC
Top Performer
4.68 SEC

Lane Johnson
4.72 SEC
Top Performer
28 REPS
34.0 INCH
Top Performer
118.0 INCH
Top Performer
7.31 SEC
Top Performer
4.52 SEC

These guys out muscle Reiff, they're faster than Reiff, and they're more agile than Reiff... The only thing that scares me is that Johnson had one season at LT, and a mixed bag at Qb, TE, DE, and RT. The good news is he is athletic enough to play DE, and he understands the position. He understands what the opposition is trying to do to him. That said, he still seems like a bit of a project, and you guys know how I feel about projects in the first round.

Well said WJB. Theres no doubt Johnson has talent, but its hard to spend a #5 pick on a guy that COULD play LT. Really hard to say. What scares me is if Fisher is somehow still on the board and the Lions pass. They didnt pass on Reiff last year for DeCastro, but something tells me they'd pass on Fisher for someone else.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 28th, 2013, 12:07 pm
My biggest fear is that we actually believe that Backus can hold down the fort for one more year, or that Reiff is the answer at LT. The fact that these three are noticeably faster, more agile, and more explosive, suggests to me why Reiff struggled at LT last year. He may be a good, if not great RT (I really think Johnson would be an amazing RT, judging by his explosiveness), but I really don't believe Reiff is cut out to be a LT.

Backus is done, Gos should be gone (no way we should pay him what he wants). We need two OTs. Fox isn't the answer. We could go with a later round OT to play RT, and start Reiff at LT, but IMO that's a huge mistake. LT is a franchise player that demands high salaries. It's near impossible to a starting caliber LT later in the draft than a top 10 pick. To me it's a no brainer. I think history has proven that you're more likely to get a starting year 1 player at DE later in the draft. Meaning, hopefully we won't be picking in the top 10 next year, and we can grab a DE later next year.

I realize that not every franchise LT was picked in the first round, I realize that you can groom a LT or DE, or virtually any other position. That said, we need an immediate impact player at LT, and we're not going to get one later in the draft. We can get by with mediocre DEs more so than mediocre OTs. If we can't protect the Qb we're going to go 3 and out, and our D is going to be exhausted anyhow. We need consistency on the offensive side of the ball if we're going to be good.

Everyone screams "D wins championships!," which may or may not be true. There have been plenty of offensive minded, offensive power houses with mediocre teams to win Super Bowls. That said, no team has won with a garbage OL. You have to be able to protect the Qb, and move the ball on the ground to be able to win games and win championships. We haven't been able to do those two things for years. It worked ONE TIME for us in two decades, and that was largely due to a weak schedule. We need to fix the OL stat, and I've been saying that for over 10 years.

February 28th, 2013, 12:19 pm
RIP Killer

I didn't say I see them as similar players, I have them rated them to go about the same area of the draft. Reiff had a lot more tape than Johnson.

As far as a player, I think he compares to another Central player - Joe Staley who had similar size and ran a 7.78 and had 27 reps. Staley also started as a TE and added to his frame to become an OT. He went 28th overall.

Johnson looks much more like a LT than Reiff, I just don't see him as a top ten pick.

February 28th, 2013, 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
I didn't say I see them as similar players, I have them rated them to go about the same area of the draft. Reiff had a lot more tape than Johnson.

As far as a player, I think he compares to another Central player - Joe Staley who had similar size and ran a 7.78 and had 27 reps. Staley also started as a TE and added to his frame to become an OT. He went 28th overall.

Johnson looks much more like a LT than Reiff, I just don't see him as a top ten pick.

So, he reminds you of a two time Pro Bowl LT, but we shouldn't take him top 5, because the two time Pro Bowl LT that he reminds you of wasn't drafted until pick 28? That's your logic here, really?

Sorry Pablo... Can't follow you on this one... I'd hate to see where you would recommend drafting the next Qb that reminds you of Tom Brady...

February 28th, 2013, 12:32 pm
Team MVP

Well, heres another question. All this talk of OT's, and who might be there and who might not at #5, do we REALLY think Mayhew would draft one? Regardless of OUR opinions, I have a feeling that one of the top 2 OTs would be there and Mayhew would pass. So I have to control my emotions when thinking of what our offense could be like with Joeckel or Fisher, because I do not believe Mayhew would make the move.

February 28th, 2013, 12:42 pm
kdsberman wrote:
Well, heres another question. All this talk of OT's, and who might be there and who might not at #5, do we REALLY think Mayhew would draft one? Regardless of OUR opinions, I have a feeling that one of the top 2 OTs would be there and Mayhew would pass. So I have to control my emotions when thinking of what our offense could be like with Joeckel or Fisher, because I do not believe Mayhew would make the move.

I really think we're lookin' DE or CB... I hate it, but I do believe that's the plan.

February 28th, 2013, 12:44 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

So, he reminds you of a two time Pro Bowl LT, but we shouldn't take him top 5, because the two time Pro Bowl LT that he reminds you of wasn't drafted until pick 28? That's your logic here, really?

Sorry Pablo... Can't follow you on this one... I'd hate to see where you would recommend drafting the next Qb that reminds you of Tom Brady...

I said he reminds me of Staley with his size, background and combine #'s, not that he is Staley nor am I projecting him to have the same career.

As for Brady, IMO he looked very slow and akward at the combine. Just because I see a QB that has similar qualities doesn't mean he is going to have a HOF career.

My point remains, I have him in the 10-20 range in this draft personally. Where do you have him pegged?

BTW - look at the studly Brady at the Combine...

February 28th, 2013, 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:

He might just go #1 overall.

February 28th, 2013, 10:14 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

You really think Lane Jonson will go #1 overall??

March 1st, 2013, 9:31 am
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

If you haven't noticed... Billy is a bit crazy...

March 1st, 2013, 9:52 am
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

It's very possible. I am not saying that he will go #1. Just that it's possible. He is a physical freak of nature. He is 6'5" 300 LBS that can leap 34" straight up. That is nearly 3 feet! I don't know where wjb got his measurables from, but, I think the length of his arms is wrong. wjb's stats say 34" arm length. But, he was on Sirius/XM NFL Radio and they were saying that his arms are 35.5". That is one of the longest arm lengths ever for a LT. He is one of the fastest LT's ever. He has the speed and athleticism to deflect the DE and proceed down field to throw some more blocks. He has the strength to pancake DE's on a regular basis. He was a DE, so he knows how a DE is going to attack him.
His measurables just go on and on. His only knock is that he has only played LT for just over 1 season. To which I say, SO WHAT!

March 1st, 2013, 10:19 am
#1 Overall Pick

BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

It's very possible. I am not saying that he will go #1. Just that it's possible. He is a physical freak of nature. He is 6'5" 300 LBS that can leap 34" straight up. That is nearly 3 feet! I don't know where wjb got his measurables from, but, I think the length of his arms is wrong. wjb's stats say 34" arm length. But, he was on Sirius/XM NFL Radio and they were saying that his arms are 35.5". That is one of the longest arm lengths ever for a LT. He is one of the fastest LT's ever. He has the speed and athleticism to deflect the DE and proceed down field to throw some more blocks. He has the strength to pancake DE's on a regular basis. He was a DE, so he knows how a DE is going to attack him.
His measurables just go on and on. His only knock is that he has only played LT for just over 1 season. To which I say, SO WHAT!

For the sake of accuracy his arms are 35 1/4. Its great length for an OT, anything 35" and up should be considered great with 34" and up being good. Ryan Clady actually has 36" arm length with Marcus Mcneil and D’Brickashaw Ferguson at 35 1/2, just for examples of guys with great arm length. It also depends on height because shorter guys aren't going to get dinged for having shorter arms and taller guys may get dinged for not having longer arms.

March 1st, 2013, 11:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next