View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Post Re: Off-Season Moves
How anyone can be "impressed" by Bill Bently's rookie year is beyond me. He only managed to stay healthy for 4 games, he had zero ints, and zero passes deflected. He had 15 tackles, missed his far share, and, at times, he looked lost out there.

We didn't need Lewis at DE? Are you kidding me? Willie Young looked like we regressed, KVB was in the toilet, and LoJack was his average self. This team was BEGGING for another DE, and Lewis STILL couldn't make the field.

What a damn joke... When you're trying to have a discussion with a blind-person on what they're seeing on the field, I guess it's pointless...

February 28th, 2013, 10:52 am
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
How anyone can be "impressed" by Bill Bently's rookie year is beyond me. He only managed to stay healthy for 4 games, he had zero ints, and zero passes deflected. He had 15 tackles, missed his far share, and, at times, he looked lost out there.

We didn't need Lewis at DE? Are you kidding me? Willie Young looked like we regressed, KVB was in the toilet, and LoJack was his average self. This team was BEGGING for another DE, and Lewis STILL couldn't make the field.

What a damn joke... When you're trying to have a discussion with a blind-person on what they're seeing on the field, I guess it's pointless...

I thought Bentley Got an INT before he got hurt I must be mixing him up with a different player, they did have a new guy at corner almost every week, kind of easy to do.

This team won't play rookies unless their is an injury, so I wouldn't say Lewis not playing was all because of his ability. They left him deactivated for half the season and they continued to play KVB without trying anyone else even with his play so obviously declining. Gunny is old school and I think he will always go with the declining vet over trying the young guys. Even when they were at the end of the season they didn't give the rookies anymore time on the field, this is just the most thick headed stuck in their ways coaching staff I've seen in a long time.

February 28th, 2013, 11:12 am
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I thought Bentley Got an INT before he got hurt I must be mixing him up with a different player, they did have a new guy at corner almost every week, kind of easy to do.

This team won't play rookies unless their is an injury, so I wouldn't say Lewis not playing was all because of his ability. They left him deactivated for half the season and they continued to play KVB without trying anyone else even with his play so obviously declining. Gunny is old school and I think he will always go with the declining vet over trying the young guys. Even when they were at the end of the season they didn't give the rookies anymore time on the field, this is just the most thick headed stuck in their ways coaching staff I've seen in a long time.

Willie Young played in 14 games his rookie year... What's the excuse for Lewis?

This team won't "start" a player unless there is an injury, it says something that Lewis couldn't even crack the DE rotation with a washed up KVB and a regressed Willie Young.

Ronnell did get small pieces of playing time, but he never did anything with it. Willie Young had 3 sacks and 14 tackles his rookie year, in 14 games. Ronnell had 2 tackles in 8 games, no sacks.

February 28th, 2013, 11:24 am
RIP Killer

CWill replacement? He know's the wide-9...

NFL.com wrote:
The Detroit Lions will meet with defensive tackle Mike Patterson, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported, via MLive.com. The Philadelphia Eagles released Patterson to save $3 million against the salary cap and as part of the re-tooling with general manager Howie Roseman and new coach Chip Kelly.

If Patterson winds up in Detroit, he'll see a familiar face there: The Lions hired former Eagles defensive line coach Jim Washburn. Patterson should have knowledge of the scheme since Washburn and Lions coach Jim Schwartz spent eight years together in Tennessee and employed the Wide 9 formation the Eagles used the last two seasons.

Patterson was a first-round pick out of USC in 2005, started 99 games and will turn 30 in September. He missed most of 2012 after having brain surgery for an arteriovenous malformation that caused him to have a seizure.

The Lions are tinkering with their defensive line after Kyle Vanden Bosch was released. End Cliff Avril and tackles Corey Williams and Sammie Hill all are free agents. The Lions could keep a formidable rotation at tackle with Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and Patterson -- assuming Fairley continues to progress. The entire defensive scheme starts with the line, so the Lions have to add free-agent talent (or draft it in a strong defensive tackle year) to keep the depth within the unit. Schwartz loves to consistently rotate bodies on the line during games.

February 28th, 2013, 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
CWill replacement? He know's the wide-9...

NFL.com wrote:
The Detroit Lions will meet with defensive tackle Mike Patterson, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported, via MLive.com. The Philadelphia Eagles released Patterson to save $3 million against the salary cap and as part of the re-tooling with general manager Howie Roseman and new coach Chip Kelly.

If Patterson winds up in Detroit, he'll see a familiar face there: The Lions hired former Eagles defensive line coach Jim Washburn. Patterson should have knowledge of the scheme since Washburn and Lions coach Jim Schwartz spent eight years together in Tennessee and employed the Wide 9 formation the Eagles used the last two seasons.

Patterson was a first-round pick out of USC in 2005, started 99 games and will turn 30 in September. He missed most of 2012 after having brain surgery for an arteriovenous malformation that caused him to have a seizure.

The Lions are tinkering with their defensive line after Kyle Vanden Bosch was released. End Cliff Avril and tackles Corey Williams and Sammie Hill all are free agents. The Lions could keep a formidable rotation at tackle with Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and Patterson -- assuming Fairley continues to progress. The entire defensive scheme starts with the line, so the Lions have to add free-agent talent (or draft it in a strong defensive tackle year) to keep the depth within the unit. Schwartz loves to consistently rotate bodies on the line during games.

I'd rather draft a late round young guy to be our 4th DT, and bring back SLH. This team doesn't have the option of signing high-priced depth guys, unless he's going to play for vet min. after missing last season.

February 28th, 2013, 12:43 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

This team won't "start" a player unless there is an injury, it says something that Lewis couldn't even crack the DE rotation with a washed up KVB and a regressed Willie Young.

Ronnell did get small pieces of playing time, but he never did anything with it. Willie Young had 3 sacks and 14 tackles his rookie year, in 14 games. Ronnell had 2 tackles in 8 games, no sacks.

Willie Young was drafted in 2010 and was inactive for all but two games his rookie season. Your looking at his 2nd year stats.

February 28th, 2013, 1:53 pm
QB Coach

So it appears that the cap number has been finalized at $123M. An article I saw today had us at $113.9M, but I have a feeling we have a bit more space than that. Every article has different numbers so I guess we'll have to wait til its official. $9M isn't much to get our guys back and sign rookies.

February 28th, 2013, 7:42 pm
QB Coach

Quote:
Lions now $5 million under the cap
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

Let's pull a couple posts together to provide the most updated picture available of the Detroit Lions' salary-cap situation. The upshot: As of mid-week, they have about $5 million in space available.

Last week, we noted the Lions were slightly under the cap before they restructured the contracts of center Dominic Raiola and receiver Nate Burleson. Raiola freed up $3.05 million in cap space by reducing his salary to $1 million for 2013. And as ESPN's John Clayton notes, Burleson saved another $2.5 million by reducing his salary to $2 million.

The Lions have cleared about $14 million in cap space since the start of the offseason, including the release of guard Stephen Peterman and defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch. And they probably have more work to do if they want to be active in free agency. The big domino is whether they can agree to terms on an extension with quarterback Matthew Stafford that would lower his $20.8 million cap number.

His numbers always seem to be the worst as I've seen other sources that had us only $1.1M over a $121M cap before we made any moves. If we cleared $14M off and the cap is actually $123 that should put us at $14.9M under, not $5M under as Seifert says. It's probably somewhere in the middle which is where the $9M number from my previous post probably comes from.

February 28th, 2013, 7:50 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Willie Young was drafted in 2010 and was inactive for all but two games his rookie season. Your looking at his 2nd year stats.

Thanks...

Still, I think they have shown that they'll at least give rookies playing time when its deserved. They did everything they could to get Reiff, Bentley and Greenwood out on the field, and with how bad our DL production was, I see no reason why they wouldn't have given Ronnell more playing time if he looked good in practice.

February 28th, 2013, 8:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The problem with Ronnell is that unless they can play him at LB he was a horrible pick by the Lions. He just isn't big enough even in a Wide 9 to be anything more than a situational player. They list him at 253 lbs and that has to be in full pads after having a bucket of Gatorade dumped on him.

February 28th, 2013, 8:30 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
The problem with Ronnell is that unless they can play him at LB he was a horrible pick by the Lions. He just isn't big enough even in a Wide 9 to be anything more than a situational player. They list him at 253 lbs and that has to be in full pads after having a bucket of Gatorade dumped on him.

Honestly, I think that's Willie Young's problem as well. I think Willie Young could be a great pass rushing 3-4 LB, but he's too damn small to play on the line. I was hoping he would add at least 15-20lbs, which seems like nothing for someone that's 6'5," but he didn't do it. He's stuck around 250lb, and that's just not big enough.

February 28th, 2013, 8:35 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Thanks...

Still, I think they have shown that they'll at least give rookies playing time when its deserved. They did everything they could to get Reiff, Bentley and Greenwood out on the field, and with how bad our DL production was, I see no reason why they wouldn't have given Ronnell more playing time if he looked good in practice.

I'm not saying Lewis is a stand out or anything, but he was a decent player in college and I think he has potential. You gotta remember he was just a 4th round pick and he played a hybrid linebacker position in college. He deserves sometime to learn the defense and with how little he was on the field I'm not surprised he didn't do anything in the games. I'm pretty sure he was brought in to be the RE and with Avril there it makes sense he wouldn't see the field. On KVBs side you had Lojack as the primary back-up and even though Young had a down year he was still getting good pressure just without turning it into sacks. I think you would have a hard time getting time in front of Lojack or Young unless your a 1st or 2nd round pick, a lot of the pressure the dline put down was wasted since the QBs could throw where ever they wanted too. Lojack probably should have been starting on 1st and 2nd down and with Young to go on passing downs, you wouldn't play the rookie unless someone needed to be rested for a down or two. I don't think it's that odd for a 4th round rookie to be behind a 2yr vet that showed flashes the year before and what is probably the best run defender on the line.

February 28th, 2013, 8:42 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Thanks...

I'm not saying Lewis is a stand out or anything, but he was a decent player in college and I think he has potential. You gotta remember he was just a 4th round pick and he played a hybrid linebacker position in college. He deserves sometime to learn the defense and with how little he was on the field I'm not surprised he didn't do anything in the games. I'm pretty sure he was brought in to be the RE and with Avril there it makes sense he wouldn't see the field. On KVBs side you had Lojack as the primary back-up and even though Young had a down year he was still getting good pressure just without turning it into sacks. I think you would have a hard time getting time in front of Lojack or Young unless your a 1st or 2nd round pick, a lot of the pressure the dline put down was wasted since the QBs could throw where ever they wanted too. Lojack probably should have been starting on 1st and 2nd down and with Young to go on passing downs, you wouldn't play the rookie unless someone needed to be rested for a down or two. I don't think it's that odd for a 4th round rookie to be behind a 2yr vet that showed flashes the year before and what is probably the best run defender on the line.

I agree with you there... Still, with how little pressure we were getting, you'd think they would try SOMETHING different, even if it was just 4th Q, "go give it your all kid" kinda something.

February 28th, 2013, 8:46 pm
NFL Veteran

They are big enough for the wide 9. DE in the wide 9 aren't supposed to take on blockers as much as they should be running around them, that's why they line up wide. They should be getting to around 260 though after going through NFL strength and conditioning, but that seems like a Staff and front office issue.

I do think Young should have gotten bigger, but name me any player for the Lions in the last decade that seemed to actually put on muscle. Just look at the Oline, they are all old school bulky and pudgy.

February 28th, 2013, 8:52 pm
QB Coach

We just signed Corey Hilliard to a 2 year deal. I'm assuming it was for pretty cheap. He's good depth and a spot starter if necessary. Guess that means we've got 8 to go.

March 1st, 2013, 11:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 44  Next