View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 7:46 am



Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine 
Author Message
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1386
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
I'm a little sketchy of putting a rookie LT out there even if they might eventually be Orlando Pace caliber LTs. They are going to be going against DEs and OLBs that are far superior than what they faced in college as well as much more sophisticated defensive schemes. I'm all for replacing Backus but I have a bad feeling they are going to ride that pony one more season. I'd much rather see them get their new LT in FA and think they can get Beatty for a reasonable price if the Giants decide they need to spend their money on other needs.

As far as CB goes I wouldn't be upset with Milliner if they stayed at #5 but there are a number of physical CBs in this draft that are going to be very good NFL CBs.


Ok, so we "ride that pony one more year" and then what? Then start a rookie? We're not making the playoffs next year. No way, no how... So why not get the LT this year, so we don't have to trot a rookie LT out there next season, when there's the potential to field a real team? Why not take the LT this year and have both he AND Backus fill the role? Why not have a healthy Jeff Backus mentor and teach our rookie, and have the rookie take over for Backus around week 4, after he's had the benefit of coaching and training for 8+ weeks?

To me, your scenario or "worries" are exactly why we SHOULD be drafting an LT this year, not reasons why we shouldn't...

I understand your point WJB, and I agree with it. But assuming Fisher will be gone, and I think he will be, u don't really want to spend the fifth overall pick on Land Johnson do u?


Lane Johnson might end up being the very first LT off the boards. It is high time that everyone realize that he was terribly underrated before the Senior Bowl. But, since then, NFL Front Offices have taken notice of him. He very well might go #1 overall. There are 3 very good to great LT's in this draft.


Just to add to what Billy said, I'm not sure you will see Lane Johnson get by the Cards at 7. It wouldn't really be much of a reach at 5.


February 28th, 2013, 10:31 am
Profile
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
I agree... Everyone says trade down and take Lane Johnson, but there's no guaranty there. I'd rather land our player than pick up a late round pick for Mayhew to blow anyhow.


February 28th, 2013, 10:46 am
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
I'm a little sketchy of putting a rookie LT out there even if they might eventually be Orlando Pace caliber LTs. They are going to be going against DEs and OLBs that are far superior than what they faced in college as well as much more sophisticated defensive schemes. I'm all for replacing Backus but I have a bad feeling they are going to ride that pony one more season. I'd much rather see them get their new LT in FA and think they can get Beatty for a reasonable price if the Giants decide they need to spend their money on other needs.

As far as CB goes I wouldn't be upset with Milliner if they stayed at #5 but there are a number of physical CBs in this draft that are going to be very good NFL CBs.


Ok, so we "ride that pony one more year" and then what? Then start a rookie? We're not making the playoffs next year. No way, no how... So why not get the LT this year, so we don't have to trot a rookie LT out there next season, when there's the potential to field a real team? Why not take the LT this year and have both he AND Backus fill the role? Why not have a healthy Jeff Backus mentor and teach our rookie, and have the rookie take over for Backus around week 4, after he's had the benefit of coaching and training for 8+ weeks?

To me, your scenario or "worries" are exactly why we SHOULD be drafting an LT this year, not reasons why we shouldn't...

I understand your point WJB, and I agree with it. But assuming Fisher will be gone, and I think he will be, u don't really want to spend the fifth overall pick on Land Johnson do u?


Lane Johnson might end up being the very first LT off the boards. It is high time that everyone realize that he was terribly underrated before the Senior Bowl. But, since then, NFL Front Offices have taken notice of him. He very well might go #1 overall. There are 3 very good to great LT's in this draft.


Just to add to what Billy said, I'm not sure you will see Lane Johnson get by the Cards at 7. It wouldn't really be much of a reach at 5.


Unless Johnson does something VERY right and Joeckel does something VERY wrong, I do not see him being picked over Joeckel.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


February 28th, 2013, 11:52 am
Profile
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
I agree KDS... Joeckel is the most experienced and technically sound LT in the draft. Fisher has a good amount of experience and he is a bit stronger. Lane Johnson only has one full year at LT, and very little time elsewhere on the OL (he played RT for the prior season, but I don't even think he had a full season at RT).


February 28th, 2013, 12:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree KDS... Joeckel is the most experienced and technically sound LT in the draft. Fisher has a good amount of experience and he is a bit stronger. Lane Johnson only has one full year at LT, and very little time elsewhere on the OL (he played RT for the prior season, but I don't even think he had a full season at RT).


With the trade of Alex Smith... I see Joeckel going to KC now.

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


February 28th, 2013, 2:02 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree KDS... Joeckel is the most experienced and technically sound LT in the draft. Fisher has a good amount of experience and he is a bit stronger. Lane Johnson only has one full year at LT, and very little time elsewhere on the OL (he played RT for the prior season, but I don't even think he had a full season at RT).


I am almost certain that Lane Johnson will not fall past Philly. He is exactly the kind of LT that Chip Kelly needs to effectively run his Offense.


February 28th, 2013, 10:22 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2283
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree KDS... Joeckel is the most experienced and technically sound LT in the draft. Fisher has a good amount of experience and he is a bit stronger. Lane Johnson only has one full year at LT, and very little time elsewhere on the OL (he played RT for the prior season, but I don't even think he had a full season at RT).


I am almost certain that Lane Johnson will not fall past Philly. He is exactly the kind of LT that Chip Kelly needs to effectively run his Offense.


Sounds good because by my Calculations that would Drop Fisher to us at 5.


March 1st, 2013, 5:14 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
DJ-B wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree KDS... Joeckel is the most experienced and technically sound LT in the draft. Fisher has a good amount of experience and he is a bit stronger. Lane Johnson only has one full year at LT, and very little time elsewhere on the OL (he played RT for the prior season, but I don't even think he had a full season at RT).


I am almost certain that Lane Johnson will not fall past Philly. He is exactly the kind of LT that Chip Kelly needs to effectively run his Offense.


Sounds good because by my Calculations that would Drop Fisher to us at 5.


...And he will keep dropping too because Mayhew is too stupid not to take him.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


March 1st, 2013, 9:23 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
kdsberman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree KDS... Joeckel is the most experienced and technically sound LT in the draft. Fisher has a good amount of experience and he is a bit stronger. Lane Johnson only has one full year at LT, and very little time elsewhere on the OL (he played RT for the prior season, but I don't even think he had a full season at RT).


I am almost certain that Lane Johnson will not fall past Philly. He is exactly the kind of LT that Chip Kelly needs to effectively run his Offense.


Sounds good because by my Calculations that would Drop Fisher to us at 5.


...And he will keep dropping too because Mayhew is too stupid not to take him.


Man, 1 bad season and Mayhew went from Genius to moron. Bad seasons happen people. At least wait and see if they can prevent back to back bad seasons.


March 1st, 2013, 10:02 am
Profile
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree KDS... Joeckel is the most experienced and technically sound LT in the draft. Fisher has a good amount of experience and he is a bit stronger. Lane Johnson only has one full year at LT, and very little time elsewhere on the OL (he played RT for the prior season, but I don't even think he had a full season at RT).


I am almost certain that Lane Johnson will not fall past Philly. He is exactly the kind of LT that Chip Kelly needs to effectively run his Offense.


Sounds good because by my Calculations that would Drop Fisher to us at 5.


...And he will keep dropping too because Mayhew is too stupid not to take him.


Man, 1 bad season and Mayhew went from Genius to moron. Bad seasons happen people. At least wait and see if they can prevent back to back bad seasons.


No Billy... Mayhew has never had a good draft. He has had good first round picks when the pick was obvious, and he's had mediocre first round picks, at best, when the pick was not so obvious (Pett, Reiff, Fairly).

Further, it's not that Mayhew had "one bad season," Schwartz had the bad season. Mayhew had "one HORRIFIC offseason." His failure to cut Peterman, Nate B (before the restructure), and his negotiations with Cliff Avril have cost this team approximately $20 million dollars. Do you realize that's 10 lower level, solid free agents, or 5 really solid, producing vets? That's ridiculous. That's plugging ALL of our holes... Every one, and Mayhew squandered that money in ONE offseason. That's inexcusable. Your sticking up for Mayhew is like saying Al Capone made one bad blunder, not paying his taxes...

He killed a playoff team in one offseason, and it's going to take at least 2 years to recover.


March 1st, 2013, 10:26 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1054
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
Agree. Seemed to me, he felt he had to keep everybody from the previous season to insure another postseason appearance. That's not how it's done in today's NFL. Teams are always evolving. Moving on from overpriced vets and at the same time getting younger, cheaper, and hungrier players. Tagging Avril was a mistake. A long term commitment to Tulloch was another. Don't get me wrong, paying a perennial All-Pro is justified, but that wasn't the case with those two.
Mayhew needed to see that although we just had a 10 win season, that by no-means have we arrived. We're still basically a young improving nucleus with many missing parts that we need to build on. If a good, but not great players contract is up and it's too expensive, cut and run. Don't be held hostage. Play the young guy's you draft (that's supposed to be why you drafted them) and move on.
In all fairness to MM, I believe he could be a good GM, and I give him credit for the recent addition to the front office with the intention of improving the scouting operation. IMO, that's a huge step in the right direction, and show's me that he has seen the need to improve in that area. Good drafting is more than just, best guess.


March 2nd, 2013, 11:04 am
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2310
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
kdsberman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree KDS... Joeckel is the most experienced and technically sound LT in the draft. Fisher has a good amount of experience and he is a bit stronger. Lane Johnson only has one full year at LT, and very little time elsewhere on the OL (he played RT for the prior season, but I don't even think he had a full season at RT).


I am almost certain that Lane Johnson will not fall past Philly. He is exactly the kind of LT that Chip Kelly needs to effectively run his Offense.


Sounds good because by my Calculations that would Drop Fisher to us at 5.


...And he will keep dropping too because Mayhew is too stupid not to take him.


Yeah, I'm still pissed with him for not taking Curry.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


March 3rd, 2013, 6:45 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2231
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
really, lomas?!?! i wanted him at the time but im so glad we didnt.

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


March 3rd, 2013, 3:32 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2309
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
I think or at least hope he wrote that post with sarcasm.


March 3rd, 2013, 4:48 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Milliner to undergo surgery after the combine
sweetd20 wrote:
I think or at least hope he wrote that post with sarcasm.


Me too. And if he didnt, lets re-visit the 2009 Draft, shall we? Mayhew's 1st draft as GM. He has the #1 overall pick. We have NOTHING for quarterback. There happens to be a very solid pro-style, pro-ready quarterback prospect rated very high. HOW CAN HE MISS? He picks Stafford. Holy cow Mayhew is a genius and knows what hes doing!

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


March 3rd, 2013, 8:55 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.