View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario 
Walk On

Post Re: Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario
I'm not sure how realistic this is... But a scenario with trading down with Buffalo, which posted on another thread.

Get a 3rd & 4th Pick. I would love to see our draft shake out like this...

Trade Back with Bills for addl' 3 & 4th Rd picks

1 RD. 8th Dee Milliner or Marcus Trufant (CB)

2 RD. 36) Margus Hunt (DE) or Eric Reid (S)

3 RD. 65) BPA Safety or DE (Depending on Pick 36)

3 RD. 71) Kenyon Barner (RB)

4 RD. 105) Bacarri Rambo (S) Solve our safety issues

4 RD. 127) Blidi Wreh-Wilson (CB) Another big/physical corner (Uconn) or Tyrann Matheiu (Nickel CB) Compensatory 4th Rd. Pick.

5th Rd. Terron Armstead (LT) (Arkansas Pine Bluff) 6'5 320, 4.60-40 (Project Tackle give Backus 1 more year while both Reiff & him develop)

6th Rd. B.P.A. WR/RB- KR McCalebb (Auburn)

7th Rd. B.P.A. WR

7th Rd (Comp Pick) B.P.A. Guard or LB

March 1st, 2013, 3:49 am
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:
Wjb, it's worked pretty well for the bears. Webb (7th rounder) was terrible and they've groomed him into something decent. Williams and caring were both mid first rounders that have been horrible at RT and LT. Hell, now Williams is unemployed because he stunk so bad. That's one team that's tried to draft high OL and have actually have had better luck later on.

Your theory isn't always true.

Wjb has been asking for a top 5 LT prospect not a mid 1st rounder like Chris Williams or a late 1st almost 2nd round guy like Carimi(I think that's who you mean by caring?). Also Chris Williams had terrible measurables. He had short arms 32 3/4 for his 6'6'' height and even with those short arms couldn't put up more than 21 reps. Chris Williams was also the 3rd OT taken with the two top guys being really good at least until Jake Long got injured. Gabe Carimi had a nasty knee dislocation that he has had three surgeries on after the initial one all before the start of the 2012 season, we will probably never know how good Carimi would have been because it's doubtful he'll ever be 100%.

March 1st, 2013, 11:46 am
conversion02 wrote:
Wjb, it's worked pretty well for the bears. Webb (7th rounder) was terrible and they've groomed him into something decent. Williams and caring were both mid first rounders that have been horrible at RT and LT. Hell, now Williams is unemployed because he stunk so bad. That's one team that's tried to draft high OL and have actually have had better luck later on.

C02... How well has it worked for the Bears? Their OTs hold their passing game back, and how was their offense while they were "grooming" Webb? Abysmal

And that was WITH one of the best RBs in the league.

I contend that Chicago has suffered greatly from not having true franchise OTs.

March 1st, 2013, 11:49 am
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

C02... How well has it worked for the Bears? Their OTs hold their passing game back, and how was their offense while they were "grooming" Webb? Abysmal

And that was WITH one of the best RBs in the league.

I contend that Chicago has suffered greatly from not having true franchise OTs.

And so will be if we dont get ourselves a TRUE left tackle.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 1st, 2013, 12:31 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson are all potential top notch LTs but besides Joeckel where were the other two before the Senior Bowl? I'll take any of the three but acting like they are going to come in the league and just dominate is cazy in my opinion. How many people have actually seen Fisher play a game? The week of the Senior Bowl doesn't count either. There is no blitzing during the game and the drills are 1 on 1 with the linemen not having to worry about stunts and twists. I've only seen highlights so I don't have a lot to go off but besides looking good in shorts and drills I see him as mid 1st round guy at best. He lets guys get into his chest in the highlights I've seen, was out flanked by some quicker DEs and ended up on the ground more than a handful of times.

Again I'd like to add I like Fisher and would gladly take him as an upgrade over Backus but I just don't see him as a can't miss guy. If he's there at #5 by all means I say take him but he better be the second coming of Munoz if they traded up for him. It's the right move unless they trade back with none of the DEs separating themselves and the depth in the CB class. I like Milliner and said last year he was better than Kirkpatrick (a popular pick on here last year) and would be happy if the Lions drafted him, but Fisher's potential looks greater compared to other LTs more so than Milliner over the next five CBs.

March 1st, 2013, 5:34 pm
RIP Killer

sweetd20 wrote:
How many people have actually seen Fisher play a game?

The only game I've seen is when he played MSU this year. If you want to see the video of him vs. State.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2RsXH4ln4E

Honestly, he caught my eye a little bit but wasn't on my draft radar so I paid minimal attention. I thought he got away with a few holds (of course, I'm biased). I thought he looked pretty athletic for his size but his footwork needed some work.

March 1st, 2013, 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
sweetd20 wrote:
Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson are all potential top notch LTs but besides Joeckel where were the other two before the Senior Bowl? I'll take any of the three but acting like they are going to come in the league and just dominate is cazy in my opinion. How many people have actually seen Fisher play a game? The week of the Senior Bowl doesn't count either. There is no blitzing during the game and the drills are 1 on 1 with the linemen not having to worry about stunts and twists. I've only seen highlights so I don't have a lot to go off but besides looking good in shorts and drills I see him as mid 1st round guy at best. He lets guys get into his chest in the highlights I've seen, was out flanked by some quicker DEs and ended up on the ground more than a handful of times.

Again I'd like to add I like Fisher and would gladly take him as an upgrade over Backus but I just don't see him as a can't miss guy. If he's there at #5 by all means I say take him but he better be the second coming of Munoz if they traded up for him. It's the right move unless they trade back with none of the DEs separating themselves and the depth in the CB class. I like Milliner and said last year he was better than Kirkpatrick (a popular pick on here last year) and would be happy if the Lions drafted him, but Fisher's potential looks greater compared to other LTs more so than Milliner over the next five CBs.

Sweet, don't get me wrong, I feel the same way as you do re: Fisher. I don't think he's going to come in and play like Joe Thomas or Jake Long, and dominate from the get-go, but I do think he can play starting caliber LT as a rookie. I don't have that same faith in 2nd year Reiff.

I think we're going to see a drop-off in Backus type, pass-pro LT play, but that's only natural, and SHOULD be off-set by having a better ground game. If we can't move the damn ball on the ground with a new RG, new athletic LT, and Reiff at RT, something is wrong.

Further, IMO the top of this draft sucks, but there's great value in rounds 2-4. Honestly, the only real "can't miss" prospect I see in this draft is Warmack. I don't think there's a DE or CB at the top of the draft worthy of the selection. I probably like Trufant most of the CBs and he's a lower 1st, early 2nd round draft pick. The DEs are a mixed bag, and most polished is one of the more lack-luster athletes. Werner didn't have a "bad" pro-day, but it wasn't great, and he's certainly not even close to the most athletic of the bunch. The best athletes at the position have the least experience.

March 1st, 2013, 8:04 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Have to agree with sweetd and Pablo that prior to the Senior Bowl workouts and game, he wasn't high on my list. He shows great potential, but many do. Now to add to my confoundment, I'm starting to think the Lions could be perfectly happy with their current group at Tackle (Backus, Reiff, Fox and Hilliard), and will be looking more to upgrade the interior line, whether thru FA or the draft.

March 1st, 2013, 8:58 pm
liontrax wrote:
Have to agree with sweetd and Pablo that prior to the Senior Bowl workouts and game, he wasn't high on my list. He shows great potential, but many do. Now to add to my confoundment, I'm starting to think the Lions could be perfectly happy with their current group at Tackle (Backus, Reiff, Fox and Hilliard), and will be looking more to upgrade the interior line, whether thru FA or the draft.

I wouldn't be upset with Warmack, but I would be upset with a project DE, LB, or CB given the current crop of talent available.

I really think we're going to take Ansah or Millner. I hate it, but that's the direction I think we'er going to go.

March 1st, 2013, 9:01 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

wjb21ndtown wrote:
liontrax wrote:

I wouldn't be upset with Warmack, but I would be upset with a project DE, LB, or CB given the current crop of talent available.

I really think we're going to take Ansah or Millner. I hate it, but that's the direction I think we'er going to go.

Agree, barring a trade. In all fairness to Milliner, he is the consensus top corner. My problem is when your picking that high, my expectations are for a CB the caliber of Peterson or Revis. But, hey maybe he turns out to be just as good. If that's what the Lions think, I have to get on-board. As for Ansah, they must have seen something special about him during Senior Bowl week to justify the pick. I'd be more comfortable with the Ansah pick, then go CB or S in the 2nd.

March 1st, 2013, 9:23 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Agree, barring a trade. In all fairness to Milliner, he is the consensus top corner. My problem is when your picking that high, my expectations are for a CB the caliber of Peterson or Revis. But, hey maybe he turns out to be just as good. If that's what the Lions think, I have to get on-board. As for Ansah, they must have seen something special about him during Senior Bowl week to justify the pick. I'd be more comfortable with the Ansah pick, then go CB or S in the 2nd.

This.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 1st, 2013, 10:41 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

Sweet, don't get me wrong, I feel the same way as you do re: Fisher. I don't think he's going to come in and play like Joe Thomas or Jake Long, and dominate from the get-go, but I do think he can play starting caliber LT as a rookie. I don't have that same faith in 2nd year Reiff.

I think we're going to see a drop-off in Backus type, pass-pro LT play, but that's only natural, and SHOULD be off-set by having a better ground game. If we can't move the damn ball on the ground with a new RG, new athletic LT, and Reiff at RT, something is wrong.

Further, IMO the top of this draft sucks, but there's great value in rounds 2-4. Honestly, the only real "can't miss" prospect I see in this draft is Warmack. I don't think there's a DE or CB at the top of the draft worthy of the selection. I probably like Trufant most of the CBs and he's a lower 1st, early 2nd round draft pick. The DEs are a mixed bag, and most polished is one of the more lack-luster athletes. Werner didn't have a "bad" pro-day, but it wasn't great, and he's certainly not even close to the most athletic of the bunch. The best athletes at the position have the least experience.

I agree about the DE's. There are a few that intrigue me. But, the ones I like, we shouldn't touch before the 4th round. As much as I have ranted and raved for a shutdown CB for like the last 15 years, I can accept waiting for one until the 2nd round this year because of the depth at the position. This could be the best draft EVER for LT's and we are in prime position to get 1.

March 1st, 2013, 10:42 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
liontrax wrote:

I would not be mad at all if we take Milliner.

March 1st, 2013, 10:44 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

sweetd20 wrote:

The splash of cold water is appreciated. Look at 2009--there's not a single LT that really panned out from early in the draft that year. There's simply no such thing as a sure bet in the draft.

That being said, from my understanding, most of the Fisher hype came from how he did in drills, not the game itself. It also came out recently that Mayhew was one of our 4 GMs that personally scouted him during the season.

March 2nd, 2013, 8:36 am
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

The splash of cold water is appreciated. Look at 2009--there's not a single LT that really panned out from early in the draft that year. There's simply no such thing as a sure bet in the draft.

That being said, from my understanding, most of the Fisher hype came from how he did in drills, not the game itself. It also came out recently that Mayhew was one of our 4 GMs that personally scouted him during the season.

So maybe there actually is a chance we would draft Fisher if he were available. Who am I kidding, Mayhew wouldn't do it.

March 2nd, 2013, 12:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next