View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Trade down 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Trade down
kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
This draft seriously sucks. There are maybe 2 TOP-TIER players, and both are offensive tackles. Maybe throw Sharrif Floyd in that category.

About trading down, I don't love the idea. If we trade with Buffalo, we won't get Fisher because they'll take Geno Smith, and Arizona will take Fisher instantly with the chance to. I'd rather have Zona get paranoid and feel like Cleveland will take Geno, then trade down 2 spots for a 3rd and still get Fisher since Cleveland already has 2 good tackles.

The only way I'd be comfortable with trading out of Fisher's range is if we got a 2nd and 3rd.

Fisher won't last past Philly.

I still don't get why people keep projecting Philly to take Joeckel/Fisher.

Peters was the best LT before his injury. At the very worst he'll be above average, and their RT, Hermaness or something like that, he's nearly a Pro-Bowl caliber tackle. I think they go for a 3-4 DE/DT like Star or Shariff Floyd, Dee Milliner, or Jarvis Jones to get a rush LB for their new 3-4 front.

That's a BIG if when referring to peters potential return, especially considering the importance of a left tackle in chip Kelly's offense. I agree they need some new faces for their 3-4 and some corners, but when u have a chance at taking a left tackle, a true left tackle, u have to take him when u have that position as a need.

True. What makes me think they definitely won't just release him is because he's still due some guaranteed $$$. We'll know for sure by the time the draft comes around if they'll take Fisher.

February 27th, 2013, 5:23 pm
NFL Veteran

kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
This draft seriously sucks. There are maybe 2 TOP-TIER players, and both are offensive tackles. Maybe throw Sharrif Floyd in that category.

About trading down, I don't love the idea. If we trade with Buffalo, we won't get Fisher because they'll take Geno Smith, and Arizona will take Fisher instantly with the chance to. I'd rather have Zona get paranoid and feel like Cleveland will take Geno, then trade down 2 spots for a 3rd and still get Fisher since Cleveland already has 2 good tackles.

The only way I'd be comfortable with trading out of Fisher's range is if we got a 2nd and 3rd.

Fisher won't last past Philly.

I still don't get why people keep projecting Philly to take Joeckel/Fisher.

Peters was the best LT before his injury. At the very worst he'll be above average, and their RT, Hermaness or something like that, he's nearly a Pro-Bowl caliber tackle. I think they go for a 3-4 DE/DT like Star or Shariff Floyd, Dee Milliner, or Jarvis Jones to get a rush LB for their new 3-4 front.

That's a BIG if when referring to peters potential return, especially considering the importance of a left tackle in chip Kelly's offense. I agree they need some new faces for their 3-4 and some corners, but when u have a chance at taking a left tackle, a true left tackle, u have to take him when u have that position as a need.

Totally agree, not only is Peters coming off a major injury, but he is already 31. The Eagles are going to need to start grooming a new LT even if Peters is healthy. LT was the worse part of their offense last year and Peters may not be able to run an up tempo offense coming off an achilles injury.

February 27th, 2013, 5:32 pm
Walk On

Maybe we can pick up and extra 4th and use it on a kick returner RB McCalebb or Tyrann Matheiu as a good nickel and dime packages. He's a little ballhawk and decent kick returner. Give him a similar contract to Jarvis Jenkins.

February 27th, 2013, 7:17 pm
Walk On

I hate the Raiders, they're claiming to have interest in Geno Smith, which is either for real or a smoke screen. Either way, it's ruining any potential opportunity for Lions to trade down. Because they'll take him or make the trade with Bills, that sucks for us.

February 27th, 2013, 7:28 pm
Walk On

wjb21ndtown wrote:
In this draft and for this team a 3rd and 4th may be better than a 2nd.

There is a very good crop of tier 2 CBs, WRs, RBs, and even DEs. Not great talent at the top of the board outside of 3-4 players, but great depth throughout.

I like that scenario, getting a 3rd & 4th Pick. I would love to see our draft shake out like this...

Trade Back with Bills for addl' 3 & 4th Rd picks

1 RD. 8th Dee Milliner or Marcus Trufant (CB)

2 RD. 36) Margus Hunt (DE) or Eric Reid (S)

3 RD. 65) BPA Safety or DE (Depending on Pick 36)

3 RD. 71) Kenyon Barner (RB)

4 RD. 105) Bacarri Rambo (S) Solve our safety issues

4 RD. 127) Blidi Wreh-Wilson (CB) Another big/physical corner (Uconn) or Tyrann Matheiu (Nickel CB) Compensatory 4th Rd. Pick.

5th Rd. Terron Armstead (LT) (Arkansas Pine Bluff) 6'5 320, 4.60-40 (Project Tackle give Backus 1 more year while both Reiff & him develop)

6th Rd. B.P.A. WR/RB- KR McCalebb (Auburn)

7th Rd. B.P.A. WR

7th Rd (Comp Pick) B.P.A. Guard or LB

February 27th, 2013, 8:52 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

IMO, the best chance of trading down will be if one of the top QB's amazes at his pro-day. If that happens, the teams seeking a QB in this draft (Arizona, Buffalo, and possibly Cleveland) immediately follow us in selection order. Would Buffalo want to leapfrog the others to get the top QB?
I don't see any other realistic scenarios that would cause a team to move up to our pick. Maybe I'm missing something. But who would want to move? What player would warrant that kind of investment?
Besides the Jaguars, the other teams picking ahead of us seem to already have their QB's. Why would a team need to trade up any higher than 5 to secure the QB their after? Doesn't make any sense to go higher than 5, because the higher you go the more it cost.
So, I'm having high hopes that Matt Barkley and Geno Smith absolutely wow the scouts at their pro-days.

March 4th, 2013, 11:37 am
Hall of Fame Player

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Go look at my mock draft in the wish list thread. This is the exact scenario I'd been advocating. Geno is almost a lock to fall to 5 unless the Eagles fall in love with him. Buffalo needs to leapfrog at least Arizona and possibly Cleveland so they'd have to come to us. We move to 8 get their 3rd and 4th and maybe a pick next year. At 8 I was looking at Warmack or Vaccaro, but if Milliner is there or one of the DE's they're also a possibility.

Why? OH WHY, Do people so badly low ball a trade down scenario every time just because the Lions are involved?

The top 10 picks in the first round cost, at minimum, a 2nd round pick just to move down 1 spot. THAT IS STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE. To move down 3 spots? It would cost their 2nd and 4th this year and their 2nd round pick next year, AT LEAST! THERE WOULD PROBABLY BE A COUPLE OF LATER ROUND PICKS ADDED TO THAT.

March 4th, 2013, 4:55 pm
BillySims wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Go look at my mock draft in the wish list thread. This is the exact scenario I'd been advocating. Geno is almost a lock to fall to 5 unless the Eagles fall in love with him. Buffalo needs to leapfrog at least Arizona and possibly Cleveland so they'd have to come to us. We move to 8 get their 3rd and 4th and maybe a pick next year. At 8 I was looking at Warmack or Vaccaro, but if Milliner is there or one of the DE's they're also a possibility.

Why? OH WHY, Do people so badly low ball a trade down scenario every time just because the Lions are involved?

The top 10 picks in the first round cost, at minimum, a 2nd round pick just to move down 1 spot. THAT IS STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE. To move down 3 spots? It would cost their 2nd and 4th this year and their 2nd round pick next year, AT LEAST! THERE WOULD PROBABLY BE A COUPLE OF LATER ROUND PICKS ADDED TO THAT.

Billy, this is a weird draft, and everyone knows it. The 5-8 blue chip prospects aren't there this year. This year there are 3, maybe 4, and they're all OL, one being an OG. Without a franchise QB, baller CB, baller FS/SS, baller LB, baller DE, etc., people aren't going to shell out a 2nd round pick to move up a couple spots, sorry. Someone MAY want to move past AZ to get a Qb, but the pricetag isn't going to be that high, unless we move way, way down. It may be more beneficial to do that and pick up a 2nd... If we move down to 15-20 we could probably get an extra mid 2nd round pick, but I'd rather stay near the top and guaranty a good player, rather than move down into the 8-12 range and miss out on most of the truly polished draft picks.

March 4th, 2013, 5:00 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Billy, this is a weird draft, and everyone knows it. The 5-8 blue chip prospects aren't there this year. This year there are 3, maybe 4, and they're all OL, one being an OG. Without a franchise QB, baller CB, baller FS/SS, baller LB, baller DE, etc., people aren't going to shell out a 2nd round pick to move up a couple spots, sorry. Someone MAY want to move past AZ to get a Qb, but the pricetag isn't going to be that high, unless we move way, way down. It may be more beneficial to do that and pick up a 2nd... If we move down to 15-20 we could probably get an extra mid 2nd round pick, but I'd rather stay near the top and guaranty a good player, rather than move down into the 8-12 range and miss out on most of the truly polished draft picks.

If a team is moving up to take a QB at 5 then they think he is a franchise QB, so I would have to agree with Billy. Just taking a QB at 5 can get the coach or GM fired if the QB doesn't pan out and trading up to get him makes it even more of a risk. If say Buffalo is willing to trade up for Geno then you have to milk them because they think Geno is a Franchise QB or they would have just took the chance he falls. Now if a team is moving up for another position then I would understand getting less, otherwise you have to at least get a second and something else from anyone other than the Browns swapping spots.

March 4th, 2013, 6:21 pm
Hall of Fame Player

rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

If a team is moving up to take a QB at 5 then they think he is a franchise QB, so I would have to agree with Billy. Just taking a QB at 5 can get the coach or GM fired if the QB doesn't pan out and trading up to get him makes it even more of a risk. If say Buffalo is willing to trade up for Geno then you have to milk them because they think Geno is a Franchise QB or they would have just took the chance he falls. Now if a team is moving up for another position then I would understand getting less, otherwise you have to at least get a second and something else from anyone other than the Browns swapping spots.

Actually, we have milked the Browns for a 2nd round pick by trading down with them 1 spot in the past. Kellen Winslow Jr.ring a bell. I'd hit again. LOL.

March 4th, 2013, 6:29 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I would hope the Lions would consider taking less than a 2nd round pick to move back 2-3 spots.

March 4th, 2013, 6:34 pm
NFL Veteran

liontrax wrote:
I would hope the Lions would consider taking less than a 2nd round pick to move back 2-3 spots.

If they move 2-3 spots they just lost out on Milliner and both OTs. So basically they would be trading a blue chip player for a second tier guy and a 3rd round pick, I'd rather stay at 5.

They have spent 4 season only doing well with their 1st round pick, I want them to maximize their chances by staying at the top 5 not give them an extra 3rd to throw in the garbage. They need to show they are improving on their drafting before I would ever feel comfortable seeing them move down for more 3rd and 4th rd picks.

March 4th, 2013, 6:50 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:

If they move 2-3 spots they just lost out on Milliner and both OTs. So basically they would be trading a blue chip player for a second tier guy and a 3rd round pick, I'd rather stay at 5.

They have spent 4 season only doing well with their 1st round pick, I want them to maximize their chances by staying at the top 5 not give them an extra 3rd to throw in the garbage. They need to show they are improving on their drafting before I would ever feel comfortable seeing them move down for more 3rd and 4th rd picks.

What if Milliner and the Tackles are gone?

March 4th, 2013, 7:43 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Chiefs franchised Albert. How does that change the equation?

March 4th, 2013, 7:45 pm
NFL Veteran

liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:

What if Milliner and the Tackles are gone?

Probably take Warmack or if it looks like that they need to trade down much farther because there really isn't any value at the middle of the first. They either need to get one of the top 5 guys or drop as low as they can and hope they learned from their previous mistakes from the prior years.

March 4th, 2013, 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next