View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 11:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Trade down 
Team MVP

Post Re: Trade down
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Chiefs franchised Albert. How does that change the equation?

I think it depends on if they move Albert to guard or not, which has been reported. If they keep him at tackle, id wonder, too, if theyd take Joeckel.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 4th, 2013, 10:00 pm
kdsberman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Chiefs franchised Albert. How does that change the equation?

I think it depends on if they move Albert to guard or not, which has been reported. If they keep him at tackle, id wonder, too, if theyd take Joeckel.

If I'm not mistakin', if he didn't play significant time at OG already, then they would have to franchise him at OT at OT salary, and pay him top 5 LT salary to play OG. I can't see that happening. We had a similar situation with Corey Redding, but I think we were allowed to do it because he played both DT and DE.

March 4th, 2013, 10:13 pm
QB Coach

Albert came out and said he's not switching positions, that he's a LT and will play LT. Guess we'll see. If the Chiefs think Luke is the best player in the draft I think they still take him and work him in somewhere.

March 5th, 2013, 2:51 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Let's not forget that just because they tagged him it doesn't mean they intend to keep him. First thing is he has to sign the contract and secondly unlike Mayhew I think they are looking to at least look to get something out of him instead of just losing him for a 3rd round compensatory pick.

March 5th, 2013, 7:08 am
sweetd20 wrote:
Let's not forget that just because they tagged him it doesn't mean they intend to keep him. First thing is he has to sign the contract and secondly unlike Mayhew I think they are looking to at least look to get something out of him instead of just losing him for a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Hopefully it plays out the same way as Avril last year... If it doesn't, then we'll how a real GM would have handled the situation.

March 5th, 2013, 11:35 am

wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

Hopefully it plays out the same way as Avril last year... If it doesn't, then we'll how a real GM would have handled the situation.

When is the last time the tag and trade happened? I don't remember anything in the near past.

March 5th, 2013, 2:00 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

When is the last time the tag and trade happened? I don't remember anything in the near past.

How often can it happen? How many teams tag a player that they don't want to keep long-term? How many teams tag a player that they know will be over-paid at the end of the deal? How many players actually go out and secure the long-term deal that they think they could have gotten?

What's more... How many teams untag a player before that player signs the tag?

IMO the Chiefs want to keep Albert, it's not a smoke screen, and they plan to sign him long-term. Other's on here see it differently.

You can't argue that Mayhew's handling of the Cliff Avril situation was probably the biggest blunder in the 2012 NFL offseason. You can't argue that paying Cliff $10.6 million was the right thing to do. You can't argue that we should have traded Cliff before the draft last year, negotiated a long-term deal, or let him walk. That's where Mayhew blew it and blew it big time.

Like I said, Mayhew squandered $20+ million last offseason on garbage that didn't really help the team in the short-term, and KILLED this team for the next two years in the long-term. That much is indefensible.

March 5th, 2013, 2:38 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Was not Matt Cassel tagged before being traded?

March 5th, 2013, 3:51 pm
Footsoldier32 wrote:
Was not Matt Cassel tagged before being traded?

I believe Cassel was tagged and traded. It happens, no it's not often, but I contend that it's generally because the team actually wants the player, not because there aren't opportunities.

March 5th, 2013, 4:17 pm

I agree and yes Cassel was tagged and traded. With Albert I think the Chiefs would love to keep him around for G money but not a long term LT contract with him having back issues last season. Especially when a talent like Joeckel is there for them to grab a significantly lower price tag. I have to imagine they would be pretty happy if a team like San Diego gave them their 2nd rounder and a conditional pick. San Diego is desperate enough where they may give up their 1st round pick and swap 2nd round picks to get Albert. They have seriously regressed as an offense with no consistent presence at LT.

March 5th, 2013, 5:29 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
I agree and yes Cassel was tagged and traded. With Albert I think the Chiefs would love to keep him around for G money but not a long term LT contract with him having back issues last season. Especially when a talent like Joeckel is there for them to grab a significantly lower price tag. I have to imagine they would be pretty happy if a team like San Diego gave them their 2nd rounder and a conditional pick. San Diego is desperate enough where they may give up their 1st round pick and swap 2nd round picks to get Albert. They have seriously regressed as an offense with no consistent presence at LT.

I have to say though, a team like KC, that's devoid of talent, and seemingly has a cheap owner, the FT and a sales pitch to keep Albert and draft a DE, LB, QB, etc. may be all that a GM has to work with.

If you're sitting in the GMs shoes, with a cheap owner, and you think you can pitch to him the idea that Albert is worth it as a franchise player, and that all you need is a Qb, or that the D could really wake up if you had a DE/LB, you get two players out of the deal. Otherwise you replace your franchise LT with another LT and you get a zero net gain in talent.

Looking at it practically, I can see how they would play Albert at LT and go with someone other than Joeckel 1st overall. Especially with the "running Qb" lottery hitting big recently.

March 5th, 2013, 5:33 pm

I just remembered the Chiefs don't have their 2nd rounder now that have traded for Alex Smith. With that in mind a 1st round QB like Geno Smith is off their board and I don't see that elite pass rusher worthy of the 1st pick and Jones is too risky medically to take #1. If they don't draft Joeckel I can really only see Milliner if they want to get bigger at the CB position or Floyd if they are looking to replace Jackson and his huge contract as a 3-4 DE.

March 5th, 2013, 5:49 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
I just remembered the Chiefs don't have their 2nd rounder now that have traded for Alex Smith. With that in mind a 1st round QB like Geno Smith is off their board and I don't see that elite pass rusher worthy of the 1st pick and Jones is too risky medically to take #1. If they don't draft Joeckel I can really only see Milliner if they want to get bigger at the CB position or Floyd if they are looking to replace Jackson and his huge contract as a 3-4 DE.

Maybe Floyd... Or disaster scenario, IMO... Someone trades up to take Joeckel and gives them the 2nd round pick they're missing.

March 5th, 2013, 6:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3