View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 8:54 am



Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Free Agency splash 
Author Message
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2311
Post Re: Free Agency splash
If they spend money on a FA S I would prefer to see Quin from Houston. He isn't an elite player but has played significant time in coverage while in Houston.


March 6th, 2013, 9:47 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Free Agency splash
sweetd20 wrote:
If they spend money on a FA S I would prefer to see Quin from Houston. He isn't an elite player but has played significant time in coverage while in Houston.

Agree with this.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


March 6th, 2013, 9:53 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 967
Post Re: Free Agency splash
I like the idea of putting Freeney in blue and silver.

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


March 7th, 2013, 1:08 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2231
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Free Agency splash
freeney would be a nice placeholder for 1-2 years while we tweak the d-line. he'd soften the blow(and maybe even bre an upgrade) of losing avril

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


March 7th, 2013, 2:24 am
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: December 18th, 2008, 9:18 am
Posts: 775
Location: Where I lay my head is home
Post Re: Free Agency splash
Killwill25 wrote:
freeney would be a nice placeholder for 1-2 years while we tweak the d-line. he'd soften the blow(and maybe even bre an upgrade) of losing avril


Can't afford him, I'm sure a lot of teams have interest in him and that's enough to drive his cost up beyond our reach.


March 7th, 2013, 4:53 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Free Agency splash
Well lets hope the Stafford restructuring happens freakin soon here...FA starts in 5 days.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


March 7th, 2013, 5:59 am
Profile
Post Re: Free Agency splash
kdsberman wrote:
Well lets hope the Stafford restructuring happens freakin soon here...FA starts in 5 days.


After the Flacco deal it may not happen at all. I'm really skeptical at this point if I even want the Stafford EXTENSION (it won't be a restructure, it will be a massive extension) to go through. It should only save us $3-5 million (most of Staff's money is guaranteed), and his extension is going to likely average $15 million + per year for 5-7 years. That's a lot of scratch to someone that hasn't earned it.


March 7th, 2013, 11:38 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: Free Agency splash
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Well lets hope the Stafford restructuring happens freakin soon here...FA starts in 5 days.


After the Flacco deal it may not happen at all. I'm really skeptical at this point if I even want the Stafford EXTENSION (it won't be a restructure, it will be a massive extension) to go through. It should only save us $3-5 million (most of Staff's money is guaranteed), and his extension is going to likely average $15 million + per year for 5-7 years. That's a lot of scratch to someone that hasn't earned it.


I wouldn't say he hasn't earned it. Can you name the last QB the Lions had that put up the same yearly stats he has? Granted he's only taken us to the playoffs only once, but a QB can only do so much with what he's given on the offensive side of the ball. Also, IMO if the D was better last year and STs hadn't cost us a couple of games we very well could of gotten into the playoffs again... but as we all know.. that didn't happen. I'm behind Stafford and hope he's a Lion for a long time to come.

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


March 7th, 2013, 12:58 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: Free Agency splash
A little perspective on what Stafford means to this franchise:
Quote:
Detroit Lions Passing Records

MOST PASSING YARDS, CAREER
PLAYER YDS ATT CMP CMP% TD INT RTG YEARS
1. Bobby Layne 15,710 2,193 1,074 49.0 118 142 63.7 1950-58
2. Matthew Stafford **** 12,802 1,863 1,114 59.8 80 54 82.8 2009-
3. Scott Mitchell 12,647 1,850 1,049 56.7 79 57 79.2 1994-98

MOST PASSING YARDS, SEASON
PLAYER YDS ATT CMP CMP% TD INT RTG YEAR
1. Matthew Stafford **** 5,038 663 421 63.5 41 16 96.6 2011
2. Matthew Stafford **** 4,967 727 435 59.8 20 17 79.8 2012

3. Scott Mitchell 4,338 583 346 59.3 32 12 92.3 1995

MOST PASSING YARDS, GAME
PLAYER YDS OPP DATE
1. Matthew Stafford **** 520 at GB 01/01/12
2. Matthew Stafford **** 443 vs. ATL 12/22/12
3. Matthew Stafford **** 441 vs. Hou 11/22/12


MOST TOUCHDOWN PASSES, CAREER
PLAYER TD ATT CMP CMP% YDS INT RTG YEARS
1. Bobby Layne 118 2,193 1,074 49.0 15,710 142 63.7 1950-58
2. Greg Landry 80 1,747 957 54.8 12,451 81 73.4 1968-78
3. Matthew Stafford **** 80 1,863 1,114 59.8 12,802 54 82.8 2009-

MOST TOUCHDOWN PASSES, SEASON
PLAYER TD ATT CMP CMP% YDS INT RTG YEAR
1. Matthew Stafford**** 41 663 421 63.5 5,038 16 96.6 2011
2. Scott Mitchell 32 583 346 59.3 4,338 12 92.3 1995
3. Bobby Layne 26 332 152 45.8 2,403 23 67.6 1951

MOST TOUCHDOWN PASSES, GAME
PLAYER TD OPP DATE
1. Matthew Stafford **** 5 vs. Car 11/20/11
Matthew Stafford **** 5 at GB 01/01/12
Matthew Stafford **** 5 vs. Cle 11/22/09

Gary Danielson 5 vs. Min 12/9/78

MOST PASS COMPLETIONS, CAREER
PLAYER CMP ATT CMP% YDS TD INT RTG YEARS
1. Matthew Stafford **** 1,114 1,863 59.8 12,802 80 54 82.8 2009-
2. Bobby Layne 1,074 2,193 49.0 15,710 118 142 63.7 1950-58
3. Scott Mitchell 1,049 1,850 56.7 12,647 79 57 79.2 1994-98

MOST PASS COMPLETIONS, SEASON
PLAYER CMP ATT CMP% YDS TD INT RTG YEAR
1. Matthew Stafford **** 435 727 59.8 4,967 20 17 79.8 2012
2. Matthew Stafford **** 421 663 63.5 5.038 41 16 96.6 2011
3. Matthew Stafford **** 374 629 59.5 4,252 17 15 78.9 2006


MOST PASS COMPLETIONS, GAME
PLAYER CMP OPP DATE
1. Matthew Stafford **** 37 vs. Atl 12/23/12
2. Charlie Batch 36 at Arz 11/8/01
Matthew Stafford**** 36 at GB 01/01/12
3. Shaun Hill **** 35 at GB 10/3/10

HIGHEST PASSING RATING, CAREER (MIN. 500 ATT.)
PLAYER RTG ATT CMP CMP% YDS TD INT YEARS
1. Matthew Stafford **** 82.8 1,863 1,114 59.8 12,802 80 54 2009-
2. Jon Kitna 79.6 1,277 795 62.3 9,034 44 47 2006-08
3. Scott Mitchell 79.2 1,850 1,049 56.7 12,647 79 57 1994-98

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/histor ... ml#passing
There's only 2 records he doesn't currently own and that could change next season; Not too bad for entering his 5th season...

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


March 7th, 2013, 1:21 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 967
Post Re: Free Agency splash
The knock on Stafford, though, is that he doesn't get in guys' faces when they drop passes or run wrong routes. He can be calm under pressure (as we saw in 2011) but he's really too cool about it and has no sense of urgency (as we saw in 2012). He is a physical talent and is good at the position but there are things that guys like Brees, Manning, and Brady bring to the table that Stafford does not and those are the things we really need from him if he's going to take the next step in his progression. He has to make guys hold themselves accountable for their mistakes and he also needs to be a little more accurate consistently.

Don't get me wrong, I love having the guy on the team, he's fun to watch, and he's the best QB we've had in a long time (if not ever) but there are things that he needs to improve on if this team is serious about a super bowl win.

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


March 7th, 2013, 1:34 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Free Agency splash
Footsoldier32 wrote:
The knock on Stafford, though, is that he doesn't get in guys' faces when they drop passes or run wrong routes. He can be calm under pressure (as we saw in 2011) but he's really too cool about it and has no sense of urgency (as we saw in 2012). He is a physical talent and is good at the position but there are things that guys like Brees, Manning, and Brady bring to the table that Stafford does not and those are the things we really need from him if he's going to take the next step in his progression. He has to make guys hold themselves accountable for their mistakes and he also needs to be a little more accurate consistently.

Don't get me wrong, I love having the guy on the team, he's fun to watch, and he's the best QB we've had in a long time (if not ever) but there are things that he needs to improve on if this team is serious about a super bowl win.


Joe Flacco just won the Super Bowl and was the Super Bowl MVP without getting in people's faces.


March 7th, 2013, 1:47 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: Free Agency splash
Footsoldier32 wrote:
The knock on Stafford, though, is that he doesn't get in guys' faces when they drop passes or run wrong routes. He can be calm under pressure (as we saw in 2011) but he's really too cool about it and has no sense of urgency (as we saw in 2012). He is a physical talent and is good at the position but there are things that guys like Brees, Manning, and Brady bring to the table that Stafford does not and those are the things we really need from him if he's going to take the next step in his progression. He has to make guys hold themselves accountable for their mistakes and he also needs to be a little more accurate consistently.

Don't get me wrong, I love having the guy on the team, he's fun to watch, and he's the best QB we've had in a long time (if not ever) but there are things that he needs to improve on if this team is serious about a super bowl win.
No doubt he has areas to improve upon; in fact all of those QBs you listed also have areas they need to improve on.

How many times have you seen Eli get in someone's face? And of those times, how many were in his first 4-5 years? According to the players, he is the unquestioned leader on the field. IMO Stafford will be fine.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


March 7th, 2013, 1:47 pm
Profile
Post Re: Free Agency splash
LionsFan4Life wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Well lets hope the Stafford restructuring happens freakin soon here...FA starts in 5 days.


After the Flacco deal it may not happen at all. I'm really skeptical at this point if I even want the Stafford EXTENSION (it won't be a restructure, it will be a massive extension) to go through. It should only save us $3-5 million (most of Staff's money is guaranteed), and his extension is going to likely average $15 million + per year for 5-7 years. That's a lot of scratch to someone that hasn't earned it.


I wouldn't say he hasn't earned it. Can you name the last QB the Lions had that put up the same yearly stats he has? Granted he's only taken us to the playoffs only once, but a QB can only do so much with what he's given on the offensive side of the ball. Also, IMO if the D was better last year and STs hadn't cost us a couple of games we very well could of gotten into the playoffs again... but as we all know.. that didn't happen. I'm behind Stafford and hope he's a Lion for a long time to come.


It's not about "the last Qb the Lions had" that's put up the stats, it's not even about ANY NFL Qb that's put stats in a Qb friendly system that throws a TON. It's about Stafford's skill set, his ability to read the blitz, his ability to hit open WRs, his ability to find open WRs, and his ability to "look off" DBs. He does none of those things well. CJ constantly bails out crappy throws, he hangs his WRs out to dry because he stares them down before he pulls the trigger, he can't handle the blitz, and he constantly misses open WRs. All of this shows up in the W-L record. He's a good, promising, young Qb that may develop into one of the NFL greats, but he's definitely not there yet. He has durability concerns, accuracy concerns and concerns about his skill-set that Flacco and other elite Qbs don't have.

FWIW, it's the offense going 3 and out, and our inability to pick up first downs in the 4th Q that cost us games, and Stafford is a HUGE part of that.


March 7th, 2013, 2:42 pm
Post Re: Free Agency splash
It's not about "getting in someone's face." It's about letting people know that you're disappointed in their play, expecting more from your receivers, and not tolerating BS. Stafford DOES NOT DO THAT. He wines and pouts like a little girl if they drop balls, but he does it on the field, behind the OL, and never says anything later. He doesn't hold people accountable, and that's the issue. Flacco, Eli, Brady, Breese, and Manning all do.


March 7th, 2013, 2:45 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Free Agency splash
Stafford is not a leader like those guys you mentioned. I agree wjb. I said that the beginning of last year as this team needs a true leader

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


March 7th, 2013, 6:01 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: frok, Touchdown Jesus and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.