View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Nate's "restructure" not what everyone thought it would be 
Post Re: Nate's "restructure" not what everyone thought it would
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
How did he hurt the team???? He didn't stop Titus from playing, Titus stopped Titus from playing. Titus didn't even have a problem with Nate, he was mad because CJ was getting such a disproportionate amount of the targets. Hell, Titus wasn't mad at any of the players he was mad at the coaching staff for not being used the way he felt he should be. Nate had no hand in any of the problems with Titus and his contract isn't his fault either. He continues to try and earn his contract every year and that's all you can ask of any player. If Nate is earning his money or not is up to the coaches and since they asked him for a pay cut they obviously didn't think he was able to earn it any longer. That shows even more how much of an idiot Titus is because he would have easily had the starting job this year had he kept himself in check.

He hurts the team by not stretching the field, by not taking pressure off of CJ, by not being a TRUE #2 WR! That's how...

This isn't a Titus V Nate debate.... It's a Nate debate and he sucks as a #2 WR and a mentor, period.

But how does he suck as a mentor? Titus played well when he was on the field and improved from his first season to his second. Even Broyles played well when he was on the field, so Nate wasn't stunting their growth in anyway.

Nate didn't make himself the number two, Linehan and Schwartz made him the number 2. Stop blaming Nate for for the inability of the coaching staff and front office to get the right type of personnel and how the current personnel is being used. I also don't get the idea that Nate was meant to stretch the field in anyway after Titus was drafted. Titus was brought in to stretch the field while Nate continued to get the tough short yardage catches and YAC. It's exactly what they did once they got Titus acclimated to the team and would have continued to do had Nate not got hurt so quickly in the last season.

The #2 stretches the field. That's what we brought Nate in to do. Go back and read Schwartz's comments when we signed him. "We brought Nate in to be an "eraser" so they can't double or triple Calvin deep..."

It IS at least partially Nates fault that he was named the #2 when he politiced and stated that he would be unhappy if he lost the #2 job. It put the coaches in a position where if they moved him, they would have a disgruntled player on their hands.

I think how they handled Titus show what they do with disgruntled players....next arguement please.

Why do you keep bringing Titus into the fold? It doesn't matter who the #2 is, it SHOULD NOT BE NATE B! That's the point.

This isn't some random defense of Titus Young, this is a solid affirmation that Nate B SHOULD NOT BE and SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN our #2 WR for the last TWO SEASONS.

March 7th, 2013, 5:23 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
How did he hurt the team???? He didn't stop Titus from playing, Titus stopped Titus from playing. Titus didn't even have a problem with Nate, he was mad because CJ was getting such a disproportionate amount of the targets. Hell, Titus wasn't mad at any of the players he was mad at the coaching staff for not being used the way he felt he should be. Nate had no hand in any of the problems with Titus and his contract isn't his fault either. He continues to try and earn his contract every year and that's all you can ask of any player. If Nate is earning his money or not is up to the coaches and since they asked him for a pay cut they obviously didn't think he was able to earn it any longer. That shows even more how much of an idiot Titus is because he would have easily had the starting job this year had he kept himself in check.

He hurts the team by not stretching the field, by not taking pressure off of CJ, by not being a TRUE #2 WR! That's how...

This isn't a Titus V Nate debate.... It's a Nate debate and he sucks as a #2 WR and a mentor, period.

But how does he suck as a mentor? Titus played well when he was on the field and improved from his first season to his second. Even Broyles played well when he was on the field, so Nate wasn't stunting their growth in anyway.

Nate didn't make himself the number two, Linehan and Schwartz made him the number 2. Stop blaming Nate for for the inability of the coaching staff and front office to get the right type of personnel and how the current personnel is being used. I also don't get the idea that Nate was meant to stretch the field in anyway after Titus was drafted. Titus was brought in to stretch the field while Nate continued to get the tough short yardage catches and YAC. It's exactly what they did once they got Titus acclimated to the team and would have continued to do had Nate not got hurt so quickly in the last season.

The #2 stretches the field. That's what we brought Nate in to do. Go back and read Schwartz's comments when we signed him. "We brought Nate in to be an "eraser" so they can't double or triple Calvin deep..."

It IS at least partially Nates fault that he was named the #2 when he politiced and stated that he would be unhappy if he lost the #2 job. It put the coaches in a position where if they moved him, they would have a disgruntled player on their hands.

I think how they handled Titus show what they do with disgruntled players....next arguement please.

Why do you keep bringing Titus into the fold? It doesn't matter who the #2 is, it SHOULD NOT BE NATE B! That's the point.

This isn't some random defense of Titus Young, this is a solid affirmation that Nate B SHOULD NOT BE and SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN our #2 WR for the last TWO SEASONS.

you brought up the concern that Nate may be disgrunted if they didnt keep him at #2. Titus is a fine example of how our coaching staff handles disgruntled players...

pretty much makes it a non-point

March 7th, 2013, 5:29 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

Yes, they signed him to stretch the field. That was before they drafted Titus. It seems obvious they felt they needed another player to stretch the field after Nate's first year and that's why they drafted a receiver in the 2nd round. To prove that even more they would play Titus outside frequently when he was on the field.

Just because he said it would make him unhappy to lose the wr2 spot doesn't mean he would be unhappy with the coaches. He could have been saying he would be unhappy with himself for not being able to keep the spot. Considering your M.O. of always assuming the worst in what a player says and the fact all his other interviews show something else I'm going to believe what I've seen in his other interviews unless I ever manage to find the interview(I have looked, but unfortunately couldn't locate it) your talking about.

March 7th, 2013, 5:37 pm
I don't always assume the worst, but I do take into account not only what a player says, but how things workout on the field. Nate didn't deserve the #2, period. Titus may not have deserved it due to his poor character, but he WAS better suited to play the #2, for sure. That much is inarguable. If it was a team discipline problem and only a team discipline problem, so be it. We don't discipline players well (this goes all the way back to BMW and Charles Rogers). We haven't been good at it for decades. IMO you don't reward a players bad behavior, but you don't hold the player back, or the team back because of it.

Nate definitely politiced with the coaches to keep his job. He made it known that he wanted the #2 spot, and he didn't leave it up to an open competition to get it done. He's been over-paid, and undeserving of his position since his first year here, and I can't stand that people love him for it, JUST BECAUSE HE SAYS THE RIGHT THINGS... When someone is constantly saying the right things, but bad things are happening all around that person, there's probably an issue.

We should have said, we're starting Nate as the #2 for 4 weeks, 6 weeks, etc., because of what you did, or found another way to discipline his young immature self. We don't seem to communicate well with anyone. Not with agents, not with players, and not even amongst coaches. This team is literally in shambles, not entire because of player personnel, but because we're a mess organizationally.

March 7th, 2013, 5:54 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I don't always assume the worst, but I do take into account not only what a player says, but how things workout on the field. Nate didn't deserve the #2, period. Titus may not have deserved it due to his poor character, but he WAS better suited to play the #2, for sure. That much is inarguable. If it was a team discipline problem and only a team discipline problem, so be it. We don't discipline players well (this goes all the way back to BMW and Charles Rogers). We haven't been good at it for decades. IMO you don't reward a players bad behavior, but you don't hold the player back, or the team back because of it.

Nate definitely politiced with the coaches to keep his job. He made it known that he wanted the #2 spot, and he didn't leave it up to an open competition to get it done. He's been over-paid, and undeserving of his position since his first year here, and I can't stand that people love him for it, JUST BECAUSE HE SAYS THE RIGHT THINGS... When someone is constantly saying the right things, but bad things are happening all around that person, there's probably an issue.

We should have said, we're starting Nate as the #2 for 4 weeks, 6 weeks, etc., because of what you did, or found another way to discipline his young immature self. We don't seem to communicate well with anyone. Not with agents, not with players, and not even amongst coaches. This team is literally in shambles, not entire because of player personnel, but because we're a mess organizationally.

You know well I agree that Nate isn't the right guy to play the WR2 spot, I'm the person standing right next to you waving the get Hixon flag. Now even though he had terrible skillset for the spot, IMO he was the only guy that deserved the spot because of the additional things like blocking and route running that was needed when they played in 2 TE sets. I would also say that Linehan seemed to use Nate as the kinda safety valve guy and gimmick player once they lost Best. I think Titus would have been the starter if 1) he hadn't punched Delams and 2) they only wanted the WR2 to stretch the field vertically. I would really have been on board for cutting him if Young hadn't started acting crazy in the offseason and Young already had the issues from college, then lets not forget the real blunder of it all and that was Mayhew thinking you don't need to make changes to a team that made it to the playoffs.

Nate's a self proclaimed me-guy and a big media guy, but he's always received well in the locker room so I really don't think his stating his goal to stay in his spot on the depth chart really means anything in the locker room. I don't love Nate, but I don't hate him either. I think he is overpaid, but again I'm not putting that on Nate. When they signed him he was averaging $5M/yr which I don't think is that bad for him. Still a little much but not freakish. The big problem came because Mayhew made his contract to bloated on the back end after the restructures to be able to cut him.

March 7th, 2013, 6:38 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Titus is a bitch. Nate is a solid veteran. End of story.

March 8th, 2013, 7:46 am
3rd Round Selection

rao wrote:
I really don't think his stating his goal to stay in his spot on the depth chart really means anything in the locker room.

It means he's giving his all in games and practice to stay in that position, and setting a good example to the other players. That means something in the locker room - something positive. It may be that his best is not good enough to have that spot - but that's a front office issue, not a Nate B issue.

If he was using politics to keep other players down, or not helping them, it would mean something negative. But there is no evidence of this occurring at all, apart from a statement that he'd be "doing everything" to stay there. You can interpret that statement as meaning "doing everything" for him to be the best he can (which I think is the sensible one) or you can interpret it literally and conclude it means shafting the other players. I think the latter interpretation is a massive stretch.

Could his pay cut have been bigger? Yes. Does that mean he did anything wrong? IMO, no. Having Nate on the roster at a $4m cap hit is better than having him off it at a $2m cap hit IMO. He's worth $2m in extra cap space this season.

March 8th, 2013, 8:43 am
Stadium Announcer

So wjb if you were in the nfl you wouldn't accept a contract because you knew you didn't deserve it? No the nfl is a business. When the owners have the upper hand in negotiations they use it and so do the players. You want Nate to just give his money back and then try to make other people take his spot. That's just silly.

March 13th, 2013, 12:56 pm
ZAndrews81 wrote:
So wjb if you were in the nfl you wouldn't accept a contract because you knew you didn't deserve it? No the nfl is a business. When the owners have the upper hand in negotiations they use it and so do the players. You want Nate to just give his money back and then try to make other people take his spot. That's just silly.

Where the hell do you get this crap from? Do you sit around on the crapper and just think of nonsense to post?

Where do I blame Nate for taking the money?

The NFL IS a business and MAYHEW, not Nate, MAYHEW is a fool for paying Nate what he did. I don't dispute that the contract was good for the team Nate's first year, but he should have been dealt or dumped thereafter, period. The NFL is a business and you don't "make money" (or win games") employing people because they're "nice."

March 14th, 2013, 2:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3