View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 4:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Various 2012 NFL Mock drafts. 
Post Re: Various 2012 NFL Mock drafts.
That looks about right... I could see us passing on Eric Fisher for Ansah, and regretting it for the next ten years...

March 7th, 2013, 12:42 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
That looks about right... I could see us passing on Eric Fisher for Ansah, and regretting it for the next ten years...

Oh me too. I think Ansah could have a great career here in Detroit, but it's the fact that fisher could be the guy to give us a solid left tackle that u usually don't have the opportunity for.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 7th, 2013, 3:19 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:

I Think Ansah , even if he Starts from day 1 AND has a 10 sack rookie season, still wont help this team Nearly as much as Joekel or Fisher would, and will be very dissapointed when we likely pick him.

Greatest upside in the draft... Maybe.

DE (with upside) bust %... WAYYYYY Higher than Top 10 OTs.

Then we suck, FO gets canned, and new staff comes in with a Huge mess and jack poop to work with at every position on the team except the QB and #1 WR. Some would argue "But our DL will own"... reallly??? Even if Ansah Pans out, by then were likely losing Suh, so youll have Ansah, Lojack/Young/FA/Lowers Draft round DE, + Fairley + Another FA/Lower round DT and some depth players.. a line that wont be as good as what weve fielded for the past 3 years, and still No OL to close out games/get short yardage.

When you have as many Holes as the Lions still do, You dont take High Risk High Reward guys at the top of the draft, and ideally not even in the 2nd round. See even our own recent draft history for evidence (Best, Titus).

March 7th, 2013, 8:34 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

DJ-B wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I Think Ansah , even if he Starts from day 1 AND has a 10 sack rookie season, still wont help this team Nearly as much as Joekel or Fisher would, and will be very dissapointed when we likely pick him.

Greatest upside in the draft... Maybe.

DE (with upside) bust %... WAYYYYY Higher than Top 10 OTs.

Then we suck, FO gets canned, and new staff comes in with a Huge mess and jack poop to work with at every position on the team except the QB and #1 WR. Some would argue "But our DL will own"... reallly??? Even if Ansah Pans out, by then were likely losing Suh, so youll have Ansah, Lojack/Young/FA/Lowers Draft round DE, + Fairley + Another FA/Lower round DT and some depth players.. a line that wont be as good as what weve fielded for the past 3 years, and still No OL to close out games/get short yardage.

When you have as many Holes as the Lions still do, You dont take High Risk High Reward guys at the top of the draft, and ideally not even in the 2nd round. See even our own recent draft history for evidence (Best, Titus).

Very well said. Totally agree. Personally, id be ok with them drafting Ansah, but ONLY if Fisher/Joeckel are off the board. If either of those two are on the board and we pass on them, I WILL BE FUMING. That will once and for all prove that Mayhew isnt any better than Millen. When you dont have a left tackle, a sure "this is our left tackle" player, you take one when you can. Its just that plain and simple. You dont have to have NFL experience or be a GM to know this. Its the correct way to build a team. A team that features a $70 Million quarterback that has to be protected. As WJB likes to say, left tackle is the second most important position on a football team.

Ill say it again, if Joeckel or Fisher are still on the board when the Lions pick, and Mayhew passes on one of them, I will be irate.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 7th, 2013, 8:54 pm
I agree about bust potential and addition to the team.

I've been saying it for years... We're 2-3 players away from a great offense. Not good, great. Why we fail to get them year after year is beyond me. One OT, one OG, and a #2 WR would make this offense AMAZING. I think Broyles and Nate could be good 3-4 WRs, but we'll have to pick up some good youth/depth at the position in years to come. That said, I'm talking about round 3-5 picks and speedy ST guys that have the potential to pan out.

A good RB would add something, but it wouldn't be necessary for this offense to be considered great. It would be a luxury pick that could make the offense amazing, but we could and would be great without a new RB IF we fixed the OL and picked up a #2 that could stretch the field.

Everyone, aside from the LT, could be had in the later rounds. Why we haven't fixed it in the last 3-5 years is beyond me.

Additionally, we would control the clock, keep the opposing O off of the field, win more games, and always be playing with a well rested D that was confident in the Os ability to bail them out if they slip up. It's the best case scenario, IMO.

March 7th, 2013, 9:19 pm
NFL Veteran

With the rumors that the Lions are thinking of moving Reiff to OG and the talk of his short arms(they are about an inch shorter then you would like) it sounds to me like his chance of being the LT have significantly gone down with the coaches. I don't think they will pass on Fisher for Ansah, but I do think they will take Ansah if both tackles are gone. I also think Mayhew showed he see's the need for a tackle since he tried to get one with Reiff. I don't think Reiff stops them from going tackle since they still feel he's filling one of the two other holes they have on the line and Reiffs versatility works in their favor if they have an injury at the LT spot, you can never have to many guys that can fill in at LT.

March 8th, 2013, 10:10 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Also, let us not forget that Mayhew loves to draft in pairs. If a top flight tackle is available, he will take one. According to his draft history anyway. Seriously, I'm not actually relying on this but hey, maybe it's a real thing lol.

March 8th, 2013, 12:36 pm
Team MVP

rao wrote:
With the rumors that the Lions are thinking of moving Reiff to OG and the talk of his short arms(they are about an inch shorter then you would like) it sounds to me like his chance of being the LT have significantly gone down with the coaches. I don't think they will pass on Fisher for Ansah, but I do think they will take Ansah if both tackles are gone. I also think Mayhew showed he see's the need for a tackle since he tried to get one with Reiff. I don't think Reiff stops them from going tackle since they still feel he's filling one of the two other holes they have on the line and Reiffs versatility works in their favor if they have an injury at the LT spot, you can never have to many guys that can fill in at LT.

You don't? I do.

March 8th, 2013, 12:56 pm
Footsoldier32 wrote:
Also, let us not forget that Mayhew loves to draft in pairs. If a top flight tackle is available, he will take one. According to his draft history anyway. Seriously, I'm not actually relying on this but hey, maybe it's a real thing lol.

Good point... Maybe he'll finally fix the OL as the DL is falling apart.

This guy can't manage a good dump.

March 8th, 2013, 1:22 pm
NFL Veteran

kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:

You don't? I do.

Why do you?

Mayhew has gone by his BPA strat in the first round every year so far. Though you can argue he's not good at determining who that player really is, I think it's pretty obvious Fisher is neck and neck with Joeckel who is looked at as the top prospect by many even after the combine. If Fisher or Joeckel make it to the Lions I see Mayhew considering those two as the BPA. I actually like Ziggy Ansah, but I can't imagine there is anyone that has an old or average LT that would have Ziggy ahead of the 2 OTs on their draft board. Mayhew has also yet to use a high pick on a DE and there have been good prospects available to him before. Maybe he didn't because he had Avril or maybe he prefers later round guys like Avril, I don't know so right now I'm going to believe he sees a huge need at LT and from the fact he took a LT over the best OG to come out in a while he really puts value on OTs.

March 8th, 2013, 2:54 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

At this point if Both OTs are gone, id rather have them take Warmack over Ansah, even at 5, and put him next to Reiff on the right side. I think wed be able to Run Right to get those 1-2 yds in that case, even if we were stuck with Backus/Backups at LT.

March 8th, 2013, 3:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Walk On

rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:

You don't? I do.

Why do you?

Mayhew has gone by his BPA strat in the first round every year so far. Though you can argue he's not good at determining who that player really is, I think it's pretty obvious Fisher is neck and neck with Joeckel who is looked at as the top prospect by many even after the combine. If Fisher or Joeckel make it to the Lions I see Mayhew considering those two as the BPA. I actually like Ziggy Ansah, but I can't imagine there is anyone that has an old or average LT that would have Ziggy ahead of the 2 OTs on their draft board. Mayhew has also yet to use a high pick on a DE and there have been good prospects available to him before. Maybe he didn't because he had Avril or maybe he prefers later round guys like Avril, I don't know so right now I'm going to believe he sees a huge need at LT and from the fact he took a LT over the best OG to come out in a while he really puts value on OTs.

Well said!

March 8th, 2013, 4:22 pm
Team MVP

Mufasa wrote:
rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:

You don't? I do.

Why do you?

Well said!

It is well said, but how come mayhew picked Reiff over DeCastro? Broyles over Konz? Titus over Torrey? That's BPA to u?

March 8th, 2013, 6:27 pm
It's tough to say that Mayhew uses BPA... To me it seems like more of an excuse to build this "mad scientist" team that he envisions without criticism.

Like I explained to AllensLions (whom has been not so oddly quiet as of late... I'm sure "he" is "busy" "preparing for the draft..."), if they really are just drafting the best player on their board when it's their turn to pick, we need a new phuckin' board.

March 8th, 2013, 6:39 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
It's tough to say that Mayhew uses BPA... To me it seems like more of an excuse to build this "mad scientist" team that he envisions without criticism.

Like I explained to AllensLions (whom has been not so oddly quiet as of late... I'm sure "he" is "busy" "preparing for the draft..."), if they really are just drafting the best player on their board when it's their turn to pick, we need a new phuckin' board.

Absolutely! This is Mayhews last chance in my book. Like I said before, if Fisher/Joeckel are still on the board at 5 and we pass one of them up, i will never trust Mayhew again.

March 8th, 2013, 7:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next