View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 10:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
I keep reading how they have two great, stud, star, (insert you own descriptive word) DTs, really? Let's see Fairley has missed roughly a third of his games in two seasons while averaging a third of a sack per game and two tackles a game. Where does that scream stud, star, great, etc? The right three choices were guys that myself and a few others that hadn't chugged down the Mayhew Kool-Aid were calling for, Kerrigan, Pouncey, Quinn, and Amukamora might even have been a better fit.

DT is important but not a position that needs elite players especially two like Mayhew thoug he was going to have when he drafted Fairley. Without looking them up name the starting DTs on the last few teams to win the Super Bowl that ran 4-3 defenses, the Giants, Colts, and I think the Saints were a 4-3 team.

March 8th, 2013, 4:28 pm
Heisman Winner

It doesn't look like Delmas will be resigning, there is an article on Free press which kinda hints toward him preferring to leave. As someone said, its bittersweet, I'm definitely conflicted, how many times have seen guys that keep getting injured/making bad plays on one team and then they go somewhere else..... suddenly they're probowl quality. I guess I just don't to see that happening in his case.

On the other hand, Adrian Wilson has been released and so is Chris Gamble...there are some quality secondary players out there. It will be very interesting to see how FA shakes out this year.

Update:

Apparently Cordarrelle Patterson (yeah, I copy/pasted the name) was brought in for a visit....are they seriously considering drafting another WR in the first round?? Or is it just a ploy to trade down? Makes me wonder.

March 8th, 2013, 5:53 pm
DayDreamer wrote:
It doesn't look like Delmas will be resigning, there is an article on Free press which kinda hints toward him preferring to leave. As someone said, its bittersweet, I'm definitely conflicted, how many times have seen guys that keep getting injured/making bad plays on one team and then they go somewhere else..... suddenly they're probowl quality. I guess I just don't to see that happening in his case.

On the other hand, Adrian Wilson has been released and so is Chris Gamble...there are some quality secondary players out there. It will be very interesting to see how FA shakes out this year.

Update:

Apparently Cordarrelle Patterson (yeah, I copy/pasted the name) was brought in for a visit....are they seriously considering drafting another WR in the first round?? Or is it just a ploy to trade down? Makes me wonder.

I agree about picking up some FAs to play in our secondary. If we can bring back Houston and sign three guys for around $2.5, even if we lose Delmas, I think we'll be alright in our backfield.

Cordarrelle has to be Mayhew just doing his "due diligence"... I commented earlier on the Official Lions page on FB that Mayhew must have wanted this kid's autograph, because there's no way in hell we're drafting him.

March 8th, 2013, 6:42 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Just some random thoughts...

I hope we don't overpay Houston. He's not a guy who we can count on to cover any top guys, such as B. Marsh, Roddy White, Julio Jones, those kinds of guys. The most I think he should make is $6 million a year, and that's generous. He'd be much better off covering #2 WRs. It's been rumored that MM is planning on drafting Milliner, so if we overpay Houston for 3-4 years while Milliner is cheap, it won't be that bad, but I just hope we don't overpay him and keep having him burned by the better WRs. LB core is set. We need Durant, but if not him just a LB with some speed who can tackle and cover well. Nothing special. I think Delmas will stay, he's trying to get his friend drafted by us (I think Cyprein), so it'd just be odd for him to leave. I want Reid. He has great legs and does everything well, except coverage down field, but that can be fixed easily since we just hired a 2 time All-Pro safety as DBs coach. We can get an athletic experiment DE in the 3rd or later or get 1 good DE in free agency to make the DEs "good enough".

I don't want any washed up FA DBs for more than 750k a year. We need real people back there.

March 8th, 2013, 7:09 pm
Shotty wrote:

I hope we don't overpay Houston. He's not a guy who we can count on to cover any top guys, such as B. Marsh, Roddy White, Julio Jones, those kinds of guys. The most I think he should make is $6 million a year, and that's generous. He'd be much better off covering #2 WRs. It's been rumored that MM is planning on drafting Milliner, so if we overpay Houston for 3-4 years while Milliner is cheap, it won't be that bad, but I just hope we don't overpay him and keep having him burned by the better WRs. LB core is set. We need Durant, but if not him just a LB with some speed who can tackle and cover well. Nothing special. I think Delmas will stay, he's trying to get his friend drafted by us (I think Cyprein), so it'd just be odd for him to leave. I want Reid. He has great legs and does everything well, except coverage down field, but that can be fixed easily since we just hired a 2 time All-Pro safety as DBs coach. We can get an athletic experiment DE in the 3rd or later or get 1 good DE in free agency to make the DEs "good enough".

I don't want any washed up FA DBs for more than 750k a year. We need real people back there.

I don't think Houston will command that much money. IMO he's one of the lower-end #1 CBs in the league, and he would be a lot of teams #2. I think he will make more like $4.5ish. I can't see him making over $6 here or anywhere else.

March 8th, 2013, 8:15 pm
NFL Veteran

sweetd20 wrote:
I keep reading how they have two great, stud, star, (insert you own descriptive word) DTs, really? Let's see Fairley has missed roughly a third of his games in two seasons while averaging a third of a sack per game and two tackles a game. Where does that scream stud, star, great, etc? The right three choices were guys that myself and a few others that hadn't chugged down the Mayhew Kool-Aid were calling for, Kerrigan, Pouncey, Quinn, and Amukamora might even have been a better fit.

DT is important but not a position that needs elite players especially two like Mayhew thoug he was going to have when he drafted Fairley. Without looking them up name the starting DTs on the last few teams to win the Super Bowl that ran 4-3 defenses, the Giants, Colts, and I think the Saints were a 4-3 team.

Suh and Fairley were 2nd and 5th in Sacks for DTs in 2012 along with being tied for 1st in stuffs at 8 each for DTs. They are obviously stud interior pass rushers. I also wanted a DE over Fairley, I really wanted Quinn that year, but unfortunately that didn't happen. I think his DT strat is doomed to fail and he should be trying to get as many top DE prospects as he can just like the Giants do. I can see kinda what I assume Mayhew is thinking with the 2 DTs, but it seems to put too much money at a position that can help a team just as much by just being stout.

I don't try to prove Mayhew did the right thing because it hasn't worked, so I have no way to back up a terrible statement like that. I just defend the guy when people start talking about him like he's throwing darts at a board and just making random moves. Mayhew is an intelligent guy and he wouldn't be in his position if he couldn't put some type of plan together on how he wants to build the team. He's been pretty damn terrible at and this is probably his or Schwartz last year, but that's no reason to blanket an intelligent post with comments about Mayhew that make him sound like he has a mental handicap. That's not saying you do that sweetd, I just quoted you because you were posting about Fairley's production and I wanted to type something about that also.

March 8th, 2013, 9:21 pm
QB Coach

Falcons just re-signed William Moore to a 5 year deal. He was a guy I had been looking at to replace Delmas if we lose him, but he probably cost a lot more than Delmas will

March 9th, 2013, 12:32 pm
Butkus Award Winner

rao wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

Suh and Fairley were 2nd and 5th in Sacks for DTs in 2012 along with being tied for 1st in stuffs at 8 each for DTs. They are obviously stud interior pass rushers. I also wanted a DE over Fairley, I really wanted Quinn that year, but unfortunately that didn't happen. I think his DT strat is doomed to fail and he should be trying to get as many top DE prospects as he can just like the Giants do. I can see kinda what I assume Mayhew is thinking with the 2 DTs, but it seems to put too much money at a position that can help a team just as much by just being stout.

I don't try to prove Mayhew did the right thing because it hasn't worked, so I have no way to back up a terrible statement like that. I just defend the guy when people start talking about him like he's throwing darts at a board and just making random moves. Mayhew is an intelligent guy and he wouldn't be in his position if he couldn't put some type of plan together on how he wants to build the team. He's been pretty damn terrible at and this is probably his or Schwartz last year, but that's no reason to blanket an intelligent post with comments about Mayhew that make him sound like he has a mental handicap.

I truly agree with this. I think that overall, MM is a very intelligent, GOOD general manager and though he has had some bad luck in his drafts, like Titus burning himself out of a job, Fairley breaking his foot before playing a snap in the NFL, etc, but overall I think he's very good at finding talent in small-name free agents and the later rounds of the draft. Tell me another GM who has 3 key players earning superstar money that can make all the right moves in FA. Give the man some freedom. I guarantee you if (and I so hope WHEN) Suh is traded and we get a reasonable cap number, MM will be very impressive. He's great at pulling off shrewd trades, and I believe he'll have a great 2013 draft. Dee Milliner is said to be his choice as of now at No. 5, and I agree. There are a plethora of high-potential players, and he sees Dee Milliner as the best available for us, and Milliner will be a very good cornerback, maybe great.

Short and sweet, Mayhew hasn't been great, and has been rather poor at drafting and retaining players, but he will get better at drafting and will continue to make good trades to get us good value. I believe in him.

March 9th, 2013, 1:00 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:

I don't think Houston will command that much money. IMO he's one of the lower-end #1 CBs in the league, and he would be a lot of teams #2. I think he will make more like $4.5ish. I can't see him making over $6 here or anywhere else.

I have a weird feeling that a gamble-type team like the Bucs who have an awful secondary will break the bank for any proven CB, and throw some serious $$ at Houston. After all, they gave Eric Wright a 5 year, $35 million contract last off-season, and Eric Wright is barely a #2 CB.

March 9th, 2013, 1:05 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

my only major beef with Mayhew is his utter failure to get quality help at the DB spot. you and I could play just as poorly as the guys he keeps slding in an out of those spots over the past few years. we may not require superstars in the backfield but we have to be able to do better than scrubs. Outside of a healthy Delmas, and Houston, thats all we've seen back there.

Here's to hoping one of the last year draftees steps up and plays beyond expectations, cuz I dont see this being fixed as of yet.

Heck Eric Wright is barely a #4 guy IMO

March 9th, 2013, 1:06 pm
QB Coach

regularjoe12 wrote:
my only major beef with Mayhew is his utter failure to get quality help at the DB spot. you and I could play just as poorly as the guys he keeps slding in an out of those spots over the past few years. we may not require superstars in the backfield but we have to be able to do better than scrubs. Outside of a healthy Delmas, and Houston, thats all we've seen back there.

Here's to hoping one of the last year draftees steps up and plays beyond expectations, cuz I dont see this being fixed as of yet.

The thing to keep in mind is that it was only a couple years ago that the Lions were still a complete laughing stock and would have to badly overpay for any good FA. Hell they still might be in that position of having to overpay. I look back and there may have been a guy or two who were better options than who the Lions signed, but they may have never been a viable option for those guys. The team was in a terrible position and it takes time before top tier guys will want to come there. For example, I think there is no way a guy like Woodson would come to Detroit this offseason. He wants another championship before he retires and he's not going to go to a sub-par team. So a certain class of players won't even consider Detroit. That makes it much tougher to sign good players.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 9th, 2013, 1:10 pm
Butkus Award Winner

regularjoe12 wrote:

Thoughts on Milliner? And with him and Fisher on the board, who would you take if you were GM?

March 9th, 2013, 1:11 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Thoughts on Milliner? And with him and Fisher on the board, who would you take if you were GM?

If both tackles are gone I would have a tough time picking between him and Ansah (sp?) It REALLY depends on what we do with free agency.
Idealy what I would try and do is pull a trick like Cleveland did last year. drop back in the first 3-4 times and pick up a buttload of rd 2nd and 3rd round picks and bolster the whole D and pick up a couple of Ol in the process.
If either Tackle is there though, you HAVE to take one. unless they are suprisingly both there, then i'd still try and trade back a lil.

March 9th, 2013, 1:51 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

If both tackles are gone I would have a tough time picking between him and Ansah (sp?) It REALLY depends on what we do with free agency.
Idealy what I would try and do is pull a trick like Cleveland did last year. drop back in the first 3-4 times and pick up a buttload of rd 2nd and 3rd round picks and bolster the whole D and pick up a couple of Ol in the process.
If either Tackle is there though, you HAVE to take one. unless they are suprisingly both there, then i'd still try and trade back a lil.

He was asking you who you take if Fisher and Miller are on the board...

March 9th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Team MVP

If both tackles are still on the board, u take one. Not trade back. Why risk a chance of not getting one? Just my opinion.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 9th, 2013, 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 44  Next