View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Team MVP

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
Footsoldier32 wrote:
I feel like some other teams might be overvaluing at least two of those guys a bit too much. . .

Agree.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 11th, 2013, 8:54 am
Heisman Winner

kdsberman wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:
I feel like some other teams might be overvaluing at least two of those guys a bit too much. . .

Agree.

That's half the game, if other teams are over valuing our guys, we're doing something right. That's what good coaches/teams do, look at Matt Cassell or Kevin Kolb.

But, the smart move would be to trade them while we still can and get something out of it. I'd have started negotiations last season with SLH, and Cherilus especially since we had depth at both those spots, if they want too much money, trade them. We could've ended up with one or two additional 2nd/3rd round picks this year. And, Reiff would've gotten some playtime too...win-win.

March 11th, 2013, 9:51 am
NFL Veteran

DayDreamer wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:

Agree.

That's half the game, if other teams are over valuing our guys, we're doing something right. That's what good coaches/teams do, look at Matt Cassell or Kevin Kolb.

But, the smart move would be to trade them while we still can and get something out of it. I'd have started negotiations last season with SLH, and Cherilus especially since we had depth at both those spots, if they want too much money, trade them. We could've ended up with one or two additional 2nd/3rd round picks this year. And, Reiff would've gotten some playtime too...win-win.

SLH was tendered last year with a 4th round tender and no one tried to sign him away, so he didn't have real trade value. We also don't know when the Lions started to negotiate with SLH, most likely they started last year, but his agent did the smart thing and said they wanted to test free agency.

Cherilus came off a knee surgery and a mediocre year as usual. He got his value because of last season and wouldn't have been looked at the same way he is now before the trade deadline. Funny how his play just got so much better on a contract year.

Neither player was getting the Lions 2nd/3rd picks, in SLH's case he wasn't even able to draw a 4th.

Delmas has value in the FA market because a team could sign him to a short term deal for big money as a boom or bust signing. No one is signing him to a big long term deal. He hasn't changed as a player since the day he joined the team, he didn't develop, you could tie Delmas's hands to his sides and it won't change a single part of his game.

Avril was the only player that has genuinely gained value, but Mayhew couldn't let him go because they never developed a replacement for him and now he will walk and they still have nothing to put in his place.

March 11th, 2013, 11:27 am
Heisman Winner

Valid points, but I still believe Cherilus would've attracted some offers last season. His play wasn't all that bad in 2010 and the knee issue didn't really effect his play that much.

If both Cherilus and SLH were traded as a package deal to a team that was desperate for both OT and DT/3-4 DE (Jets, maybe) I'm sure we would have gained a 3rd and a late round pick or two.

March 11th, 2013, 11:34 am
Team MVP

DayDreamer wrote:
Valid points, but I still believe Cherilus would've attracted some offers last season. His play wasn't all that bad in 2010 and the knee issue didn't really effect his play that much.

If both Cherilus and SLH were traded as a package deal to a team that was desperate for both OT and DT/3-4 DE (Jets, maybe) I'm sure we would have gained a 3rd and a late round pick or two.

Kinda makes ya wonder since we got a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 11th, 2013, 11:58 am
NFL Veteran

DayDreamer wrote:

This isn't the NBA, you aren't packaging multiple players to get a pick. It's rare you ever see two players from the same team moved in the same deal. If anything someone may move a pick and a player for a better pick or a better player, but just making a trade with one player is hard enough due to scheme and roster space.

March 11th, 2013, 12:00 pm
Heisman Winner

I can't think of anything off the top of my head but I'm sure there is a precedent to package deals in the NFL. Besides, if you think about it, there are quite a few ways to trade them both and end up with more than just comp picks....like a three way trade for example.

March 11th, 2013, 12:10 pm
NFL Veteran

DayDreamer wrote:
I can't think of anything off the top of my head but I'm sure there is a precedent to package deals in the NFL. Besides, if you think about it, there are quite a few ways to trade them both and end up with more than just comp picks....like a three way trade for example.

Three way deals also don't happen in the NFL. I'm not saying these things are impossible or that they have never happened, but they are not common enough to look at as reasonable options inline with the way deals are completed currently in the NFL.

March 11th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Heisman Winner

I understand that you don't see package deals and 3 way deals everyday, but they do happen every once in a while. And I'm sure teams would love to get two under-30 players with talent and upside, who are on smaller contracts (for a year) in a single trade. Eagles and Jets come to mind, but there might be more.

March 11th, 2013, 12:52 pm
NFL Veteran

DayDreamer wrote:
I understand that you don't see package deals and 3 way deals everyday, but they do happen every once in a while. And I'm sure teams would love to get two under-30 players with talent and upside, who are on smaller contracts (for a year) in a single trade. Eagles and Jets come to mind, but there might be more.

The last 3 way deal I remember was how the Lions go Scheff, so again I'm not saying it was impossible for them to work something like that out. What I am saying is the idea of those things happening are so unlikely that you can't bring them up as being reasonable possibilities. Also the two players we are talking about held a lot of value to the Lions, probably more so than to other teams. SLH has been a pretty integral part of the DT rotation and it was a good thing he was there when Williams was dealing with injuries for so much of the season. Then add to that the fact that they can possibly get comp picks awarded to them in 2014 that will be comparable to their trade value while still having those players for the 2012 season. I would rather have the comp picks and the year of cheap contracts over the a single 3rd rd pick or a couple 4ths.

March 11th, 2013, 1:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Rumors of a trade in the works for Blount.

Remember when Mayhew used to aggressively trade to fill needs? What happened to that guy? Don't get me wrong, I love Blount's running style, but he's definitely in the Leshoure/Bell school of running backs.

I would have no problem with getting Blount to be the starter. Leshoure has 0 heart. We should consider trading him

March 11th, 2013, 3:41 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Say NO to Blount and give LeShoure another year. LeShoure will be better IMO as he will now be 2yrs removed since tearing his Achilles.

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 11th, 2013, 3:47 pm
Fair Weather Fan

Quote:

I would have no problem with getting Blount to be the starter. Leshoure has 0 heart. We should consider trading him

How can you question a guys heart? Where does this even come from? Ignoring the guy came back from one of the most devastating injuries a back can suffer. That alone takes heart.

I don't get the Blount attraction, either. Ok back, but I don't think he's better than Leshoure/Bell. Same running style, not as good of a receiver.

March 11th, 2013, 3:54 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I don't like either one but to give up a draft pick, even a 7th rounder for Blount would be foolish. There is a reason the Bucs went out and drafted Martin even after signing Blount. Both Blount and LeShoure are dime a dozen RBs that can be found as cheap FAs or as UDFAs.

March 11th, 2013, 3:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Killwill25 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Rumors of a trade in the works for Blount.

Remember when Mayhew used to aggressively trade to fill needs? What happened to that guy? Don't get me wrong, I love Blount's running style, but he's definitely in the Leshoure/Bell school of running backs.

Blount is not going to be a Lion. Drop the BLUNT! LOL. Seriously though, Blount had 1 good year and has sucked since then.

March 11th, 2013, 11:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 44  Next