View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 8:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Free Agency splash 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Free Agency splash
I fully expect Suh to be traded by the next offseason. It just doesn't make any sense to have so much money tied up between just 3 players, and, if he has a good enough year, we might end up with a 1st rounder for him.

March 11th, 2013, 11:20 am
1st Round Pick

DayDreamer wrote:
I fully expect Suh to be traded by the next offseason. It just doesn't make any sense to have so much money tied up between just 3 players, and, if he has a good enough year, we might end up with a 1st rounder for him.

The part your missing is that they aren't going to move Suh just for cap relief. It doesn't matter that having 3 players making so much money makes its almost impossible to fill out the rest of the team, Mayhew has to get great value for a player considered a superstar or he's not trading him. There is no they may get a 1st for him, they are going to at least get a 1st or he's getting resigned for huge money because your GM can't be seen just giving away your top players.

It's also not that the Lions have 3 top money players eating up the cap that hurts so much it's that one is a WR and another is a DT. If CJ was a LT and Suh was a DE the money would still be huge, but the other positions could be filled cheap enough to work around their money.

March 11th, 2013, 11:43 am
Team MVP

rao wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

The part your missing is that they aren't going to move Suh just for cap relief. It doesn't matter that having 3 players making so much money makes its almost impossible to fill out the rest of the team, Mayhew has to get great value for a player considered a superstar or he's not trading him. There is no they may get a 1st for him, they are going to at least get a 1st or he's getting resigned for huge money because your GM can't be seen just giving away your top players.

It's also not that the Lions have 3 top money players eating up the cap that hurts so much it's that one is a WR and another is a DT. If CJ was a LT and Suh was a DE the money would still be huge, but the other positions could be filled cheap enough to work around their money.

Well, maybe we can get both....cap relief AND compensation worth his value.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 11th, 2013, 11:56 am

kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

Exactly what I was trying to say, you can either get a 1st rounder or you can end up with a mid-round pick and a player we need.

March 11th, 2013, 12:11 pm
1st Round Pick

DayDreamer wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

Exactly what I was trying to say, you can either get a 1st rounder or you can end up with a mid-round pick and a player we need.

Getting a player back in the deal may work, but remember that player has to fit under the Lions cap also. If they did that before June 1st this year they wouldn't have the space, after June 1st is very workable but you also need a team that still has $12M in open cap space to take Suh. Next year you get $6M in cap relief, so it's more doable especially if they wait till after June 1st and split the dead money. The question then becomes who's the player that a team would actually trade and would equal good compensation, that's where the problem is in a deal involving a player as part of the compensation.

March 11th, 2013, 12:32 pm

I am of course talking about trading him next off-season, not now absolutely. Trading him now doesn't make any sense, especially since we're about to lose SLH, and just to save that 450k (which we won't even save if we trade him for another player).

March 11th, 2013, 12:48 pm
Team MVP

Quote:
The free agent most commonly linked to the Detroit Lions has been running back Reggie Bush, but as we speculated Monday morning, the price tag associated with the safety position could allow to the Lions to pursue one of the top names on the market in that critical area of need.

According to a report from ESPN.com's Adam Schefter, the Lions are one of four teams in the mix to sign San Francisco 49ers safety Dashon Goldson. Schefter went as far as to label Detroit a favorite.

Goldson, 28, is the consensus best player available at his position. He's coming off two consecutive Pro Bowl seasons and was named an All-Pro by the Associated Press in 2012. He finished last season with 69 tackles, three interceptions and 11 pass breakups.

How the Lions would free up with the necessary cap space to land Goldson remains a key question. Depending on the final numbers from DeAndre Levy's re-signing last week, Detroit has between $3-5 million to spend.

A contract for Goldson is expected to average between $7-8 million.

The Lions' quickest solution would be extending the contract of Matthew Stafford, lowering the quarterback's gaudy $20.8 million cap number for 2013. Given the complexities of those negotiations, that seems unlikely to get done by Tuesday.

Detroit also has simpler restructurings available if they just want to delay the cap hit, the biggest being defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh's $18.2 million figure.

Signing Goldson could ultimately signal the end of Louis Delmas and Amari Spievey's time in Detroit. Delmas is set to become an unrestricted free agent Tuesday afternoon while Spievey is restricted and could still be tendered to a one-year, $1.323 million contract.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 11th, 2013, 11:25 pm
Veteran General Manager

rao wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

Getting a player back in the deal may work, but remember that player has to fit under the Lions cap also. If they did that before June 1st this year they wouldn't have the space, after June 1st is very workable but you also need a team that still has $12M in open cap space to take Suh. Next year you get $6M in cap relief, so it's more doable especially if they wait till after June 1st and split the dead money. The question then becomes who's the player that a team would actually trade and would equal good compensation, that's where the problem is in a deal involving a player as part of the compensation.

How would this sound? Damarcus Ware and a 1st for Suh. I think Ware would be fantastic as a wide 9 DE.

March 11th, 2013, 11:55 pm
1st Round Pick

BillySims wrote:
How would this sound? Damarcus Ware and a 1st for Suh. I think Ware would be fantastic as a wide 9 DE.

Ware will be 31 years old when the season starts, but even with that I don't think the Cowboys would give away Ware and a 1st. He's actually never had fewer than 11 sacks since he had 8 his rookie season, his production has just been to high and consistent for the Lions to get that much compensation back. If you can get that I would say do it and hope you can get him to restructure his deal once he's on the team, but if not both pick and player I'd pass. I'd rather have Suh for 2 years and get the comp pick after he walks over having just Ware for 2 years before you had to cut him due to his huge salary.

March 12th, 2013, 12:25 am
Veteran General Manager

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Ware will be 31 years old when the season starts, but even with that I don't think the Cowboys would give away Ware and a 1st. He's actually never had fewer than 11 sacks since he had 8 his rookie season, his production has just been to high and consistent for the Lions to get that much compensation back. If you can get that I would say do it and hope you can get him to restructure his deal once he's on the team, but if not both pick and player I'd pass. I'd rather have Suh for 2 years and get the comp pick after he walks over having just Ware for 2 years before you had to cut him due to his huge salary.

It's exactly because of Wares age that we should be able to get a 1st with him for Suh who is a lot younger and is the prototype DT for a Tampa 2 system. They need a Warren Sapp type to make the Tampa 2 work.

March 12th, 2013, 12:34 am
QB Coach

We're being listed as the favorites for a lot of guys right now and I just don't see it. Dashon Goldson is going to take a lot of coin to sign, I'd rather we draft a safety in the second round, unless we trade down and take Vaccarro. We are also being linked to DL Jason Jones from the Titans. He's more of a DT but has played some DE as well.

In another article I read today, we have a deal on the table for Chris Houston, as well as Delmas, but both will gauge their market value.

March 12th, 2013, 12:48 am
Team MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
We're being listed as the favorites for a lot of guys right now and I just don't see it. Dashon Goldson is going to take a lot of coin to sign, I'd rather we draft a safety in the second round, unless we trade down and take Vaccarro. We are also being linked to DL Jason Jones from the Titans. He's more of a DT but has played some DE as well.

In another article I read today, we have a deal on the table for Chris Houston, as well as Delmas, but both will gauge their market value.

I hope Houston takes the offer, but dont care about Delmas.

March 12th, 2013, 12:51 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The closer they get to the kickoff the less likely it looks like they are going to make a big splash. A few Gs I'd like to see brut in besides Levitre and Vasquez as it looks like there won't be big spending are Thomas (NE), Boothe (NYG), or Rinehart (Buf). Depending on the cost at WR Massaquoi (Cle) or Barden (NYG), I'm not a fan of Hixon he is too fragile. Not much at DE or LB that will come at a reasonable price, LT could be interesting with some guys looking to get at least decent contracts before the money is gone. The DB pool is filled with a lot of older players or injuries waiting to happen. I'm not a huge Houston fan but he's solid and should be retained at a reasonable price and after that I like Quin (Hou), Hall (Was), and Williams (Bal). I must don't see the big splash this year, hopefully Mayhew can put together a quality draft this year.

March 12th, 2013, 7:33 am
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Media linking Lions to 'name' players
March, 11, 2013
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

On the eve of free agency, the Detroit Lions are being linked relatively credibly to a number of significant free agents. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported they are one of two front-runners for safety Dashon Goldson, NFL.com reports "strong buzz" between the Lions and safety Glover Quin and everyone thinks the Lions are in on running back Reggie Bush.

Many of you are asking via Twitter how the Lions could afford more than one of those players from a salary cap perspective, especially if they eat up a few million dollars' worth of cap space to extend restricted free agent tender offers. Frankly, I don't know the answer to that yet.

Perhaps they have restructured the contracts of some other players. Perhaps quarterback Matthew Stafford is closer to a contract extension than he appears. Maybe the Lions will do something with the contract of defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, which is projected to count $18.2 million against their cap.

Free agency opens Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, and I'll of course be blogging all day and perhaps all night as well on NFC North events. For now, let's all get some sleep.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... me-players

Joe Fauria, MVP!

March 12th, 2013, 9:21 am
Team MVP

Id love Glover Quin.

March 12th, 2013, 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next